Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Anybody got a set-up they need flavor for, or just feel like helping me come up with the mechanics for a game I've already got flavor for?

Also, hi, I'm back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

EccoRaven posted:

hello PMush how are you doing? how is your times and happenings? tell us stories.
Oh, I've got a hell of a story.

So, as a bit of background, I worked at McDonald's until last week. It was alright, but I was slowly getting frustrated with their refusal to promote me or pay me more than $.25 over minimum wage at part time, so I'd started looking for other work. (Well, that and that the job had been the cause of two panic attacks in the last three weeks.) That's not the point of the story, just some background.

Sunday's the General Manager's day off, so I went in on Sunday for a long-ish shift, 11 to 8 or something. I was pretty ready to quit already, since I've gotten a new job lined up and things were not getting any less stressful. But I don't want to burn a bridge I don't have to, so I'm toughing it out. Over the course of the day, we have four people missing. Three of them are just straight-up no-shows. And we're a smaller McDonald's. 4 people is like half the loving staff. We call the GM. He's insistent on not calling anyone in who'd be put over 25ish hours, because at 30, they'd have to offer them benefits. He also declines to come in himself, because it's his day off.

Right around 5 PM, one of our other managers comes in, stays for about half an hour, and then walks out because "nobody cares about getting this place clean". Keep in mind, we are down to HALF our normal (already pretty tight) staff, so yeah, things being dirty is to be expected. She was horrible to work for, anyways, nobody will miss her. We have one manager left, half the people who are still still there are supposed to be going home, and no one else is scheduled to come in until 7:30 PM. That's after dinner rush, by the way. Poor girl is reduced to tears. General Manager still won't come in.

All of us stay, of course. I work through my whole shift, until another manager comes in (half-asleep and in jeans, but by god, he comes in to help), then clock out, and immediately turn in my uniform. I don't remember quite what the note said, something like "Thank you for the work opportunity. I hope your new staff is more forgiving."

After the fact, I found out that basically everyone is quitting. :allears:

So, that's the story of how I have a week and a half off before I start my new job (a night shift at Waffle House, but it's full time with benefits, so hey!)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Blue Lips is really good, but I always associate it with this one Homestuck video, because that's how I was introduced to it a few years ago.

How's your summer vacation going, Ecco?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

Blue Lips is a good song. My favorite Regina Spektor song, though, is Laughing With. It always makes me feel a little bad.

McDonald's is the scum of the earth, and I am happy to hear you could quit Poison Mushroom. I'm sure you will have a much better job with Waffle House.

Also, I am in Annapolis until Sunday evening and have tonight off. Trying to find something to dooooooo!

EDIT: Now that I think more, I might actually like Samson better than Laughing With. Still, both are really good songs!
Hm. Thinking about it, I actually think my favorite Regina Spektor song is Hero. I've got an emotional tie to it that's a little hard to explain.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My top five albums, without repeating artists, in no particular order...

Gorillaz - Demon Days
Protomen - Hope Rides Alone (self-titled album)
Alice Cooper- Brutal Planet
Pendulum - Hold Your Colour

If it counts, my #5 is the Donkey Kong Country 2 OST by Dave Wise. But if not, then...

Halestorm - The Strange Case Of...

Halestorm's songs in particular have helped me through some rough patches, and The Strange Case Of has most of my favorite songs, though the middle of the album itself isn't really my thing.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 19, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

EccoRaven posted:

I already determined last thread though that the first one is the best video game OST :/ keep up hon.
Allow me to present my counterargument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbKTi_Rph9o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73n7HTcmb5g

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

CCKeane posted:

Earthbound best soundtrack.

Then Chrono Trigger.
I respect your opinions, Keane, but Super Metroid goes higher on the list than Earthbound.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Look Under The Rock posted:

YES oh I'm so happy you like the Protomen.
I love the Protomen. I had to limit myself to one album per artist, or otherwise I'd have both regular Protomen albums, AND The Cover Up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

BottleKnight posted:

DKC2 may have a slightly better soundtrack but DKC1 is the better game IMO. All 3 are great though.
I actually thought 2 was a little smoother. Also, I thought the secrets were handled a little better in 2.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

BottleKnight posted:

smoother? Like the framerate or the game design?
Game design. I'll admit, it's probably nostalgia talking, but things felt more perfected with 2. Diddy and Dixie felt more... deliberate, more like they filled similar but distinct niches. And since Diddy was faster, but took more precise control and you likely lost him first, it acted as a sort of dynamic difficulty.

Also, better boss variety than just "jump on the giant version of a normal enemy".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I will absolutely admit that DKC2's difficulty makes a jump once lava starts showing up in regularity, and then another pretty significant jump right around Krazy Kremland, and I could never really get past that as a kid.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 19, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

BottleKnight posted:

Hey don't present your opinion as a consensus! I've actually heard a multitude of people say 3 is the best. Even I think 3 is better than 2. Even though the original is the best one :)
I feel like 3 tries too hard to innovate, and by the end of the game, it's pretty bleh. Very "here's the new setpiece/gimmick". The giant barrel boss was loving brilliant, though. I liked the non-standard "damage" you did, though. (Feeding him items so he burped himself backwards into a hole, before he pushed you back into the hole on the opposite side.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

WHEN DO WE GET ACT THREE
I DON'T KNOW. IN LESS TIME THAN IT TOOK CHINESE DEMOCRACY TO COME OUT, AT LEAST.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

bowmore posted:

this was me in my DBZ card game tournament today

(I won!)
Orange Raditz or nothing. :colbert:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

bowmore posted:

It was a sealed rainbow event! I pulled Black Krillin and he dominated for 4 wins from 4.

I'm running Blue Nappa for constructed at the moment.
I've never actually gotten to play new DBZ, even through online programs. :saddowns:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

bowmore posted:

Well we can play through OCTGN if you want
That would be rad.

Hit me up on Skype!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

EccoRaven posted:

I mentioned ocarina!! majora's mask was only okay for music though despite being the artistically way more interesting game. I never played wind waker as that's about when we all lost interest in consoles and became socially very different people.
Wind Waker is very good, but I can't help but think more highly of the older games, just for having to work under such heavy constraints. All these songs we're linking were made on sound chips barely more advanced than a fancy calculator. David Wise is a loving wizard for getting all that out of an SNES.

Besides, the best Gamecube soundtrack is and will forever be Metroid Prime 2, so it's not even worth bringing up.

TWIST! What is the worst video game soundtrack? It has to be a reasonably high-budget or high-profile game, no trotting out shovelware you got in a bargain bin.

Personally, I'd say that Shining Force 2, despite being a much better game in general, had way worse music. And that's saying something. Shining Force 1 had very NES-ish music, but that had a certain charm. SF2 just sounded like they let somebody play with a synthesizer and recorded whatever sounded like music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97K0D13VL40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enxyTeZ_i-c

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jul 19, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My superpower is super-mediocrity. I'm always "meh" at whatever I do, no matter how much or how little practice!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I would really like to talk to you about it.

Also with the Keane-Ernie sides of things there, here's where I fall: I think the pharmaceutical industry is incredibly important. I think curing diseases and treating people who are suffering is incredibly important. The biggest problem is with psych drugs being marketed directly to the consumer + Americans being far more willing to just take a pill to try and make their problems go away than actually deal with trauma or lifestyle changes that will actually help with mental illness. Couple that with the fact that there are so many people in the system and diagnostic lines are arbitrarily drawn around self-reported symptoms and you have a rapidly increasing number of people disabled by mental illness who will be on drugs for the rest of their life even if they didn't originally need them and you get why I feel this is such an important issue.

Basically it's specifically pharma+ mental health industry that needs to be fixed.
I'm one of those people in the lovely situation of actually needing a combination of therapy and medication (and being able to afford neither), and I can absolutely agree that just selling pills to cure everything is...

The best analogy I can think of is that it's like selling wheelchairs to people with injured legs/spines, and insisting that's all they'll ever need, thus keeping them from ever actually getting physical therapy or anything else that could end their dependence on the wheelchair.

Except they don't charge you another $80 each month to keep a wheelchair.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A couple of times, I've given myself minor panic attacks because of no other reason than that I didn't want to have a panic attack.

Those ones are especially fun.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I can't even snarkily comment "USA! USA!". At least then I could pretend the rest of the world was a little better.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

chaoslord posted:

Fry rolled scum in my second ever game (Dwarf-fia, by P Mush) and I was suckered into it because I was new and he was super good guy in the first game that I couldn't see him being a badguy.
:allears: That was a fun game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My first game modded was a nine-player set-up with two SKs and no skum.

My second was Mafia Fortress 2, and then I jumped straight from nine-player games to Pokemonfia.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Grandicap posted:

The favorite game I ever modded was The Magic Schoolbus Mini Mafia. I had fun writing the flavor for that one.
My favorite modded game was Dwarf-fia, but my favorite played game was Poque's Zodiac Mafia. There aren't a lot of games where the fakeclaims and speculation are so good, they discredit the actual claims. Also, still my first and only flawless scum victory.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hey, I've talked to you guys about some of my game design stuff in the past, and I've got a new project I've been pecking away at. (It's actually why I haven't been in the thread as much recently. It's been eating most of my free times.) Kind of a love letter to NES RPGs, especially the Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest series. I've got a lot of half-baked ideas, but no real idea how many of them are any good, so if anyone wanted to fill out my lovely survey I threw together about it, that'd be rad as gently caress.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

One of the really genuinely cool things about the internet is that people can easily find out about stuff like this now. They can find out where these genres of music actually come from, instead of just assuming that rock was invented by Elvis and the Beatles.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Love you too, guys.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I don't feel like reading back 100 pages. Why are we care spiting LUTR?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lumpen posted:

So I put money where mouth is and voluntarily ponied up 50% of my month of gay detective audiobook royalties because I think Planned Parenthood is good and worthy

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Thank you for filling out the survey, nerdfriends. The info confirmed things I suspected in a couple places, but really genuinely surprised me in a couple others. But most importantly, it galvanized me into making a big leap I kind of knew I needed to make in the first place. The short version is that instead of taking a couple great ideas for each of two separate projects, I'm picking the absolute best ideas from both and working as many of them as I can into a single project.

Edit Also, I just finished Episodes 2 and 3 of Life is Strange and holy poo poo. When I said I was hoping it'd serve as another helping of Telltale Walking Dead greatness, I had no idea that I would be provoking this drat game to gutpunch me as hard as possible.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm really worried about Markiplier. He hasn't even been on Twitter since his 'something really bad happened' message. :ohdear:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

bowmore posted:

who and what now?
He's a youtuber. The one who did all those FNAF videos and who cries like a baby in every milestone video.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Can I be on Team MMM, or Team Hurt?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

CCKeane posted:

I'm sure once you get older and realize that you've wasted your life, you'll have many BottleNights.
:vince:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My Little Country: Slavery Is Magic

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kamen Rider Drive was really good.

I know none of you will know what that means. But it was.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

HiipFire posted:

I don't but instead,

Pre sign me up plz
Same.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm also of the opinion that there's not enough serious game discussion to support a thread on its own.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2015/09/18/company-hikes-price-5000-drug-fights-complication-aids-cancer-daraprim/32563749/

I really loving hate people sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Thick ham is literally worse than Hitler.

I actually don't like ham very much I'm more of a beef gal.