Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Space is vast. Who are you but an insignificant spec in a sea of bright nothingness?

What do you make of yourself? You are nothing. Can you be... something? You yearn for adventure.

Or do you yearn for battle?

Or to explore for knowledge?

There's a big universe out there that's just waiting for you, but today's the day you get to be who you want to be!

BWEEEEEEEP! BWEEEEEEEP! BWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

Your head aches as you roll out of bed. You probably had too much fun last night. That's understandable, as it was your last day being 17 years old. Today, you're graduating to your 18th year of age and from the basic level of schooling. Everyone's age and graduations line up perfectly, that's just how well things are run in this society. Today's a very special day that everyone looks forward to. You've completed your growing phase and are about to transition into adulthood!

Your wrist communicator cheerfully beeps. You've got an incoming message. The familiar ping indicates the message is from one of your BEST FRIENDS!

quote:

WAKE UP! TODAY'S THE DAY!

You are pretty excited!

But first... Who are you? You'll need a name. And a gender.
1. Choose a name!
2. Choose a gender! Male or female please.

Who are your BEST FRIENDS?
3. Choose a boy's name.
4. Choose a girl's name.

You've got a heart for adventure along with your BEST FRIENDS, but you've all got something in common: You don't have very much money. You know that you want to buy a spaceship, but those aren't exactly cheap. You're all planning on taking jobs relating to space adventuring and saving up for a modest space-fairing vessel. This job choice affects what kinds of things you focused on studying in your basic schooling and what kind of job you'll be looking for.

5. Choose a job!
a. Space Combat - You'll receive a small boost to space combat abilities. You'll look for a job assisting some space mercenaries or maybe sign up for the Alliance forces.
b. Navigation - You'll receive a small boost to space navigation. You'll look for a job in public transit or something equally dull.
c. Personal Combat - You'll receive a small boost to personal weapons like handheld blasters and hand-to-hand combat. You'll look for a job as a bodyguard or in security.
d. Engineering - You'll receive a small boost to your understanding of how ships function. There are a lot of different systems on ships like life support, shielding and food generation. You could work as an apprentice engineer or perhaps with a repair shop.
e. Computer Proficiency - You'll receive a small boost to your interaction with computers and technology. You'll look for an IT job.
f. Go Back To School - You'll receive a large boost to any subject of your choosing but will hamper your ability to actually make money.
g. Write in! Choose some kind of bonus and something you think you could do to earn money!

CHEEP CHEEP!
A small chirp interrupts your thoughts. Someone's at the door! That's weird, you were planning on meeting your BEST FRIENDS at the Academy later.

------------------
Okay here we go! This is my first CYOA but I've had some of these ideas stewing around in my head for months and I'm bored enough to start writing them down. This game features FUN PHYSICS where things like space lasers and pew pew sounds and faster than light travel are possible.

I promise this won't be a job simulator! I'd just like to know what kind of background you'd like your character to have before they start their adventure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

You can ask questions at any time and I'll do my best to answer them!

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I hope it turns out we were secretly the space whale all along!

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

1. Esker
2. Male

3. Churchill
4. Aurora

5. Choose a job!
g. Space Whale - We and our friends were captured and turned into a living starships by aliens. We have been rediscovered by humans and hope to one day be reunited with one another.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

ElrondHubbard posted:

1. Esker
2. Male

3. Churchill
4. Aurora

5. Choose a job!
g. Space Whale - We and our friends were captured and turned into a living starships by aliens. We have been rediscovered by humans and hope to one day be reunited with one another.

Sure

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
3: Bingsly Higgens Dartmouth III, aka "Ben"
4: Amanda
5: F

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Space Jennifer
Space Female

Space Brad
Space Kelly

5. Choose a job!
g. Space Barista, at least until we graduate Space High School, then whatever idk

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
1. Esker
2. Space Whale :colbert:
3. Churchill
4. Aurora
5. f

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

ElrondHubbard posted:

1. Esker
2. Male

3. Churchill
4. Aurora

5. Choose a job!

Plan ElrondHubbard.

edit: So there's a grammar issue in this plan. "a living starships". I'm not going to vote for a corrected version (where either each of us is a starship, or we all TOGETHER were made into ONE living ship), because I don't want to fracture the vote and because I find "a living starships" more entertaining.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Space Jennifer
Space Female

Space Brad
Space Kelly

5. Choose a job!
g. Space Barista, at least until we graduate Space High School, then whatever idk

This option has coffee in it, thus is the better option. :colbert:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

ElrondHubbard posted:

5. Choose a job!

This is the objectively correct vote.

Plan ElrondHubbard.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Plan ElrondHubbard.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

ElrondHubbard posted:

1. Esker
2. Male

3. Churchill
4. Aurora

5. Choose a job!
B Navigation

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord

ElrondHubbard posted:

1. Esker
2. Male

3. Churchill
4. Aurora

5. Choose a job!

yeah sure ok this could be fun

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
1. Dude Mansley vonHeroguy.
2. Female.
3. Guy.
4. Gal.
5. D. Not going with living spaceships, despite my initial hope that we were, in fact, the space whale, to try and spare Disgargia from having plans and setup disrupted in the very first vote. :cheeky:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

ElrondHubbard posted:

1. Esker
2. Male

3. Churchill
4. Aurora

5. Choose a job!

I'm reading that as a living starships, ie: a hive mind.

This but our collective ship mind has nothing but seething hatred for humanity, but we'll hide that for now.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Outrail posted:

I'm reading that as a living starships, ie: a hive mind.

This but our collective ship mind has nothing but seething hatred for humanity, but we'll hide that for now.
Plot twist: The aliens turned us into a space whale as a personal favor.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

ElrondHubbard posted:

5. Choose a job!

I like the way this is going.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

ElrondHubbard posted:

5. Choose a job!

Oh my...

If that's reaaaallly what you guys want, I can write it! My only concern is that it limits a lot of interactions and might not be fun enough? For example all communication done over comm links, no surface exploration, no physical gestures, blah blah.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Rise up to the challenge, I believe in you!

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

You check the holocam, it's a delivery bot. You open the door, curious about the small package it presents to you.

"It's from your father." The bot hums softly.

The soft hum does nothing to soften the blow. What?! Father?! He... Sent something? You quietly scan your implanted identification to accept the package. It's guaranteed to be for you, no mistake.

Your father has been absent from your life for a long time, since you were a child. You were pretty sure he was dead. After all, if he was alive, why didn't he contact you? You've grown up your whole life as part of the Alliance system. An orphan in the machine.

You want to cry, but you can't. The delivery bot quietly turns and leaves down the hall of your dorm.

You look at the package. It's a small data disk. You shakily load it on a nearby terminal and search its contents. You find a few scant lines of text:

SHIPYARD A82398
DOCK 17
LIGHT FRIGATE CLASS
PAYMENT PENDING

That's weird. It's an invoice for a ship? You haven't purchased a ship. You... haven't even started saving up for one! The fact that it hasn't been paid for is immediately noted. Do they expect you to pay for it. Did your dad... leave you on the hook for this thing? This sounds like trouble.

You pack a couple of belongings in your satchel and head to the nearest spaceport. You'll have to hail a taxi to get to the shipyard. You're pretty sure the 80000 series shipyards are out near the asteroid belt, so this trip is going to cost a pretty penny and take a few days. You have a few modest savings from your orphan allowance, but you'll be able to cover a trip out there and back.

1. What's going to happen?
a. Space Whale - SPACE TRANSFORMATION into LIVING SPACESHIP.
b. Space Not a Whale - You acquire this ship, which happens to be a very special spaceship.

------------
Actually a blend of what was going to happen and some edits to make a space whale version possible.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Edit: Update happened

Hey kid. Say hi to Esker. He's a goddamn space whale. Welcome to the party.

A

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 21, 2015

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Disargeria posted:

1. What's going to happen?

SPACE WHALE Space Whale! Dannanannananna SPACE WHALE.

edit: Anyone who recognizes my avatar should be thoroughly, depressingly, unsurprised at this turn of events.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Space Whales in SSPPPAAAAAAAAACEEEEE!

We can find/create/steal a remote avatar from somewhere for use in planetary excursions. If you don't think a million ton space whale can't manage a physical gesture then you obviously don't know much about cetacean reproductive biology.

Disargeria, do you aim to have this CYOA go on for a while or is it a short/one shot?

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Ways of addressing being a giant Space Whale.

a) Focus on space travel / encounters with other space ships.

b) We live though our crew vicaroiusly when they travel down. Offering advice at key junctures.

c) B, but we're a resentful space whale. We are hoping to gain their trust so they'll set us free and we can blow this popsicle stand.

d) C, but we also try to give bad advice on occasion to get people killed until the remaining crew is dependent on us to fulfill tasks autonomously. We continue until we are free.

e) We have gained psychic powers and they are slowly starting to manifest. We can use them to sense what's happening and, eventually, influence events.

f) Star trek crew management sim.

g) When on board the ship, we're the whale. When not, we see the crew's perspective.

f) Write in answer here

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 21, 2015

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Yeah gently caress it. Space Whale

See. I agree with the previous poster. Having us interact with other ships, crew, and etc can be really fun.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Space Whale

We will not be denied!

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Farscape .. I mean space whale.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.
Bwa ha you guys are so mean. On the other hand, that's what you get for allowing a write-in on the first post of a CYOA ;)

A, but Esker at least gets a prosthetic cybernetic body to use while his brain is interfaced to the ship computer. Aliens are experimenting on how fresh, healthy post-adolescent human brains react to full-body prosthesis and interfacing to a ship.

It'll be sort of like XCOM except the aliens are testing for a species that can use Meld instead of psionic potential.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Kill all voters and start a new CYOA. If you do what we want we'll never respect you!

B I want to see what the author had planned, not get wacky on page 1.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
Goons - derailing poo poo on page one since 1999.

B

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.
1A.

gently caress Yeah. Space Whale.
As to dealing with planetary stuff we could just pelt the crew with questions Or have some sort of telepresence drone, maybe armed!

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.

Outrail posted:

We can find/create/steal a remote avatar from somewhere for use in planetary excursions. If you don't think a million ton space whale can't manage a physical gesture then you obviously don't know much about cetacean reproductive biology.

Pre-emptively voting NO to developing genital based communications.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Oh sure, spit in the face of 100,000 years of human evolution.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

ElrondHubbard posted:

Ways of addressing being a giant Space Whale.

c) B, but we're a resentful space whale. We are hoping to gain their trust so they'll set us free and we can blow this popsicle stand.

d) C, but we also try to give bad advice on occasion to get people killed until the remaining crew is dependent on us to fulfill tasks autonomously. We continue until we are free.

Oo I wanna do this!

A

The angriest space whale :getin:

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
OP just do your original plan only we merge with the ship when we're flying it.

And it's called Space Whale.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

Outrail posted:

Oh sure, spit in the face of 100,000 years of human evolution.

I want to make a "I thought I said no genital based communication" joke. But I don't want to be a dick.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

You open a comms link to your BEST FRIENDS, Churchill and Aurora.

"Hey guys, I..." But you are cut off before you can say anything else.

"ESKERRR!" comes a familiar but awfully cheerful and shrill voice, unmistakable for anyone but Aurora!

"HEY BUDDY!" comes in loud and clumsy, much like Churchill is in person!

"Listen! Something weird came up. I got a package... from my dad."

"Huh? Is that even possible?" Aurora's voice reverts to its usual softer tones.

"Dude?" Churchill is usually not at such a loss of words.

You explain the scant few details of your encounter and the data disk. Why would anyone even bother putting so little text on there? There's a hundred different ways to send short messages. Is your dad alive? Did he buy a starship to skip town with instead of coming back home? Or is this just some kind of joke? It's a lot to deal with on your 18th birthday.

"Are you sure that's all that's on it?" Aura asks.

"Pretty sure. I scanned the whole thing."

"WELL WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR?? LET'S CHECK IT OUT!" Churchill exclaims.

You try to explain that it's going to take a few days to get out there and it's going to cost a chunk of change but your friends will hear nothing of it. Churchill eagerly offers to chip in and convinces Aurora to split the bill.

"It's settled then, we're coming along, too!" Aurora declares, her eyes lighting up with excitement and a mischievous grin on her face. "I wonder if there's a problem with someone's account that could be in our favor..."

You spend the day attending ceremonies and parties with your BEST FRIENDS and plan your trip. It's all very exhausting. You hang your Certificate of Completion on your small bedroom wall and power down your terminal. You make a note to ask your friends about the music that played tonight, then lie down. You open your secret comms channel to your dad. It always connects without fail. He gave you its information when you were a young boy, before he left forever. You memorized the elaborate sequence that seems to defy standard comms channels. You're pretty sure it's a highly encrypted channel, but you're not sure how it works. He's never responded, so you're not even sure it works, but you use it anyway. He said he'd always be there for you...

quote:

Dad, if you're reading this... I got a message today, and I guess it was from you. I don't know what to think of it. It's a spaceship on a dock way out by the Belt. Why'd you send this? DID you send this?

Dad....

Where are you?

Outrail posted:

Disargeria, do you aim to have this CYOA go on for a while or is it a short/one shot?
Until my fingers fall off! Or until you guys get bored? We'll see. Updates may be pretty sporadic, I don't know how Diog does it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
A. Space Whaaaale!

• Locked thread