Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I went to five guys today and it was expensive for mediocre burgs. Byrons or GBK still have my top burg recommendation. What is everybody's saturday looking like?
5 Guys is the actual-burger equivalent to burger flavour crisps. Only instead of tasting exactly like what you'd expect burger flavour crisps to taste like. Tastes exactly like what you would imagine a burger would taste like.

But they do one flavour/variety "Burger". vs anywhere else, that has a bit of variation to their offering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Still haven't bought the wife an xmas present. I don't think "This house you now live in and broke me financially" counts.

Might bunk off work tomorrow and wander around Brent Cross praying for inspiration and a quick death.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

XMNN posted:

Sat at the pub drinking a pint on my own because everyone elses lift turned up early

so much for christmas drinks

If the pub is 'just right', this is the best kind of pub drinking.

The other week I spent an hour or so reading the papers, with an adorable Rough Collie, and a cat, in a quiet corner of a pub. It was quite nice. Then my jerk friends turned up and ruined it.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I am done with work for 2015.

Unless somebody asks me a question on the work chat, then I'll probably bill for an entire day.

Christmas present bought, now to avoid leaving the house for 12 days.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Vitamins posted:

are there any decent goon approved kung fu films on netflix or w/e? watching the raid made me want to see more mans getting beat up

Ong-Bak was pretty good.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I'm 'xlevusuk' on PSN if you want a friend,that only sporadically plays BF4 until he realises he's poo poo.

P.s. 'xlevus' is some antipodean oval office who will never accept your friend request. Avoid at all costs.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Looking forward to a night of sleep where my neighbour doesn't spend an hour rolling a pallet truck over a sheet of steel at three in the loving morning.

To wake up to a day where I don't have to cook anything, just binge eat. It'll be one glorious day.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

lenoon posted:

Escaped to feed cat back at home, left investment banker brother in law arguing that the NHS should be replaced with an American style system, it was either leave or feed him turkey through a straw

I would love to hear his reasoning.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Went to friends for Christmas dinner (gently caress yeah! don't have to cook). Only I got annoyed that I didn't have any leftovers, so I'm doing a roast tonight.

Reminds me of when I still lived at home, and got two roasts every Christmas. High point of having divorced parents.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Gaz2k21 posted:

Talking of buying property I'm debating buying my flat now that I'm elligible for right to buy, I'm still not sure whether I want to buy the studio I currently have or to try and get a 2 bedroom once the girlfriend moves down when she's finished uni and buy that.
(For me) It would depend on the rental demand and price.

If I could reliably get a renter, and the market rate would cover the mortgage repayments. Buy it, live in it until it doesn't meet your needs, then rent it out and go rent somewhere else with the girlfriend until you can buy a larger place. Either by selling the studio, or buying a second property.

And depending on interest rates, rises in property value, it may even be wise to overpay the mortgage when possible instead of putting the money in your ISA/Savings/Pension.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Bozza posted:

Just flew Luton (worst airport) back to Glasgow. Pouring the beer from the tinny to the little plastic cup was a proper challenge, thanks #StormFrank

Luton is like CancerCakes's new years party. 1400 guests, 50 seats, and everybody wants to leave ASAP.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

CancerCakes posted:

I'll have you know that my party is going to be cool and hip and down with the kids

tbf, I threw a party a few weeks ago and wished everybody would leave about 30 minutes in.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Jose posted:

i've matched with a clearly crazy person on tinder but shes suggested shes only after a friend with benefits situation and that she will also terminate the situation if it becomes more involved.

thoughts?
Don't stick your dick in crazy.. But any holes a goal.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

maybe... you don't have to pick stuff up if you don't want to!!

Until you get to the quests that are all 'didn't want to build poo poo? gently caress you, build me things'

I found fallout4 lacklustre.
Lacking in character that the others had.
the main quest line felt half baked, and you were never sure who you were working for, who you annoyed, and when one faction is going to start hating you.
And for the love of God, why are there still only 15 radio tracks for a 200+ hour game?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Pretty sure I listened to something like this today. But cannot for the life of me think what exactly.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Jakabite posted:

Anyone got any Barcelona recommendations outside of the obvious? I'm off there with a few friends on Monday.

La Xampanyeria!

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187497-d940427-Reviews-Can_Paixano_La_-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

Tiny bar that sells Cava for cents, providing you order food too. Then you can come back during the day and buy it by the bottle and then get pissed in your hotel room.

There's also an expat bar somewhere around there that'll serve you 50/50 vodka-cokes. But hosed if I can remember where it is.

Will edit this tomorrow with more suggestions.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 8, 2016

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Vitamins posted:

only then you find out on the day of travel your train has been cancelled and been replaced with the most horrible thing...

...a replacement bus service :spooky:

Are you trying to trigger everyone's PTSD?

It's working.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Is tentish klown a kentish towner?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I like the change. I hope we get our own title banner to go with it :3:.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I found a Christmas pudding in the cupboard from a year or two ago. No custard tho , so a bit shittt.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Phoon posted:

im poor for the rest of the month
I'm poor until April 7. Yay taxes.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

For the past month (two, three months?) the supermarket my flat overlooks has been unloading/loading trucks at random hours in the middle of the night. The council's noise control team want to come round and hear the noise for themselves, but all communication has to go through their call centre in Leeds. So the supermarket makes noise at midnight, I call the call centre, they forward it on to the noise team, who then call me when they're free. Which by this time, the booze that is the only thing that's getting me to sleep has kicked in and/or the supermarket has stopped making noise. Then three hours later the supermarket makes another load of noise and wakes me up, only the noise control team is off duty and the call centre won't take my complaint.

:suicide: I just want a full nights sleep.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

crispix posted:

in the long run you'll want to get the supermarket to cut that poo poo out but in the meantime i highly recommend getting yourself a white noise machine and some good quality ear plugs. i did this when i had to work nights for a spell whilst living in a not so quiet place and the white noise machine is much more effective than i'd have imagined - i got this one. with ear plugs as well you shouldn't hear a thing. can be a little hard to get used to at the start, but even though i now work during the day and have moved somewhere super quiet, i still can't sleep without the machine on :v:
Yeah, I've tried white noise apps on my phone and earplugs to some success. I think the repetition of the recorded sounds starts to irritate me after a while, I might buy one of those Marpac units.

learnincurve posted:

Or get a video recorder and download a DB meter app on your phone so you can just walk into the council offices with evidence. Standard policy is for the council to fit DB meters in the event of a complaint so you probably got some poo poo head who thinks it's your own fault for living near a supermarket. If they still wont do anything write to your MP and local paper about it and cause A Fuss.
If the council's noise team doesn't deal with it in a timely manner, I'll probably contact my MP. It's a somewhat hosed up implementation of residential zoning.

Either that, or just move out and rent the flat to some unsuspecting sucker like a bastard landlord.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Council's noise team pretty much said "They were here first, they can do what they want".

This means war.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

Have walked 12k around London looking at various museums: they were very nice. Now having a pint.

Have a pint an hour for the next 5 hours, and then you can stumble around London and look at pretty lights/'art'.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

feedmegin posted:

I discovered i had accidentally stolen someone elses luggage on the train so I had to go to London and back at a cost of 60 quid to swap theirs for mine :mad:

On the plus side Im visiting the girlfriend and shes making us chili.

What's to say they didn't steal your luggage?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Peaky Blinders marathon tonight.

While half-assedly looking at just how loving expensive driving lessons for my lazy city dweller rear end are. Maybe I don't have any desire to go any further than the underground network.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Vitamins posted:

how much do they cost? I paid like ~£20/hour for mine in the grim north
The prices that I have seen have ranged from £25-30/hr, and suggesting you need 30+ hours of lessons.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

have you considered one of those intensive courses

must be cheaper, surely

They're all around 800-950 for 30 hours, but some include the test fees.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Found a glossy white plastic screw hole cover just before going to bed.

Can't for the life of me what glossy white plastic stuff it could have come from.

So much for sleeping tonight. The case must be solved.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Despite my protest, I went to Belgo last night on the insistence of a friend who's back in London for a few days. And true to form, my stomach loving hates me.

At least I'm not making GBS threads my insides out like usually happens.

Belgo. Not even once.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Bozza posted:

My cold has been slowly getting better but still not 100%. How have we not cured this yet!?
They have. It's called Pseudoephedrine. You can buy it from behind the counter at boots.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I have met many goons, and lived with one to boot, heck I didn't even know him before he moved in. None of them were bad.

Although, some of them have nothing nice to say about the London goon meets they went to.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I am in dire need of career advice, where is best to go for it? I checked the finance d&b board but I don't know, it seems too American
post here and we can all suggest zany ways for you to get ahead in life.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Jose posted:

i want to get hosed up off it not get rid of it

Put a little bit in the butt. Just the tip.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Ok so I don't even care if they are looking at this point.

My role used to be between 2 departments in my work, and in effect I was doing a job for 2 people. I told them this, and that I was feeling stressed out by the volume of work I was doing without anything in return, and they did nothing for like a year and a half. Recently, I've been put directly in one department and another analyst role was hired into the other. I'm still training her up and showing her the ropes, and then I found out she's on £5,000 more than I am.

I've been here for 4 years and only ever got 1 raise of 4%, no training has been offered to me even after I've requested and I've often went above and beyond my role, and now they've basically said that my old role was worth over double and the new person is worth more than I ever was, when she's only had 1 year experience previous.

I've told my manager in straight terms it's unjustifiable and he's unsure what to do because he's only been here about 4 months.

Should I kill them or myself I don't know

You've got two things you can do, and both of them involve taking a risk.

1) Ask for a raise that better reflects your value to the business.
2) Ask for a promotion.

Getting a raise is going to help you immediately. But getting a promotion from analyst to senior analyst is going to help you negotiate better pay when you leave next year and get a new role. It should probably come with an immediate raise too and put you in charge of the new hire.

If they refuse, your only leverage is to resign. They're not legally obliged to pay you more, or give you a raise.

If the new hire got hired on at market rates, if you resign they'll have to pay your replacement more anyway. And they lose your 4 years of company knowledge.
If the new hire is family or your boss is a perv, you're probably going to get the short end of the stick from here on in.

[edit]
Get everything in writing. If they say "yeah, we'll sort you out" they probably won't.
You can also use the promotion to negotiate a staggered raise. 3k now, 3k in 6 months after a performance review.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 21, 2016

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Last day at work. V.bored and V.excited.

45 minutes to go until beer!

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

buteruc posted:

what's everyone doing this weekend?

I'm sleeping.

Receiving mundane deliveries, sleeping and cirque de soleil.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

weve moved again

Have we?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Taking two weeks off between contracts to 'do some learning'.

Things learnt so far: I am not good at applying myself.