Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Just started watching this, finished Episode 4, my speculation knowing nothing is that Princess Bunny-Ears is the fake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
From the title of the next episode, my theory is that the outsider is actually both Adlet and Nash, Nash completely intentionally 'cuz she's evil or something and Adlet just being a total moron, since Nash is suspicious as balls and it's only her implied word we have to go on that Adlet's weird dream sequence laser-hand thing was at all how it was supposed to happen. Thus, in order to make the title even more inaccurate, the show will introduce an eighth hero to make it the eight braves of the six flowers, even if Nash doesn't really count.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Actually wait no poo poo I was doing the dishes and I had a sudden epiphany as to how Nash coulda done it.

Looking at the timeline of Nash's actions, we have:

-Fights the Fiends with Adlet, Goldov, and Flamie.
-Tells Adlet to GTFO to the temple.
-Runs in a while later with the rest of the gang.
-Flips the gently caress out on the altar.
-Proceeds to take a passive role for the last two episodes.

The activation method for the barrier itself had been sitting strangely with me since the seal for the door was expounded upon; just slamming it in the dais and yelling "FOG, RISE" is too... open-ended for it to be sealed one time. I'd figure something like that would be designed to be used one time all the way. So, I began operating under the assumption of "what if that's not actually how the barrier is activated?" and rewatched Episode 4.

At roughly 16:25, Nash shatters a conspicuous tablet on a stand and then proceeds to shout "I will be the mistress of the barrier!" It's in the midst of her freakout, but it's out of line with the vernacular she's used for the rest of the series and the rest of her freakout. Shattering the tablet is given a close-up shot, and it's definitely a one-time thing. I think that that's when the barrier was actually activated and the Braves were locked in- prior to that, the fog was just ordinary fog.

In Episode 4, from nearing the temple to the fog setting in, there are multiple establishing shots of the sun blaring with copious lens flare. Additionally, Adlet Myer, The Strongest Man In The World, who's been demonstrated to have absurd amounts of endurance, not only has to stop and take his breath, but is shown with a drop of sweat on his face when witnessing the fiend shed its disguise. It's hot. However, in Episode 5 when Adlet and Hans are surveying the area, it's noted to be extremely cold because of the Salt Saint's magic. Fog, as in the actual weather phenomenon, can be caused by hot winds blowing over a normally-cold area.

Ordinarily, this would be out of the question, because who the hell can plan around causing fog that way? However, though she hasn't personally appeared, a character exists that is priorly established to have control over the sun, and thus would be able to cause this situation- Riura, the Sun Saint, who has gone missing but is not a notch on Flamie's belt- therefore, she's an outstanding plot point. Therefore, my theory is that Nash utilized Riura's powers (voluntarily or otherwise- the "why" still isn't in the picture) to cause a bout of fog to disguise her own activation of the magical barrier's fog, and sent Adlet forward at the optimal time to have him unseal the door and act as a fall guy.

Adlet's bombs opened the seal, of course, because he is The Strongest Man In The World, and thus can just do that. :colbert:

The only flaw I can see is "why is there a false activation method in the first place" and I don't have a goddamn clue about that. v:v:v Maybe those jerks at the fort were in on it! Who knows. I'm gonna go back to listening to Black Swallowtail 'cuz it's a good song.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Flamie is at a solid 3rd on the list of Who Is The Best. She is above Maura, Goldov, Nash, and Chamot in that order.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The instant Maura actually gets to do her insane mountain-style kung fu like in the OP to episode 5 she will rise above Flamie.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

TWIST FIST posted:

Nash and Goldov got to the fort before Adlet and Flamie, didn't they? I guess it's possible that she made something up then and told the fort guys to pass it on. Did the fort guy say how he knew about the method, I'm too lazy to rewatch and check

Actually, wait, you're right. Unless fort dude was referring to Maura and Hans, he said that "the other Braves left a while ago," but Nash said "We spoke with fort guy- it was probably after you left."

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Still not sure about that though. Or Goldov being in on it to begin with. That part just doesn't feel right to me.

Ah, well, I've got 6 days to stew on it.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kylra posted:

Presumably fort guy knew about the method because it was his job. At least that's the impression I got.

Well the idea behind the theory in question is that that method isn't how you actually activate the barrier.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

NowonSA posted:

A lot of this makes sense, but it does require a fort full of people to be in on it, which seems too elaborate.

Not necessarily. Having rethought about it beforehand my theory on the fort is that they're wrong and were fed a line by the previous Saint of Seals herself. It's stated that a human- any human- can activate this barrier, and given the one-time use of this thing it would be really poor if someone could blow it by just being a moron.

The actual method- if, you know, I'm not just spouting BS, which is a real possibility- is probably a secret among the 78 Saints, given the subject matter, and therefore Nash would totally know about it.

And Maura would too.

Which is why she's the police chief Adlet has turned in his badge and gun to and is now going to have to prove that his methods are the right way to go about it, because damnit Adlet you're a loose cannon, you're off the case!

Edit: So what I'm saying is that Maura's "It can be deactivated by the person who activated it, or by killing the person who activated it" is trustworthy in this instance.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
One can be a princess and also crazy. :colbert:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kild posted:

I don't think Adlet would be able to go through poison mist through willpower.

Strongest Man In The World.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

darkgray posted:

Er, the "unreliable narrator" device is present in some of my favourite mystery novels, so that seems a strange rule.

"Unreliable narrator" and "unreliable detective" are two different things. For instance, in The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, the narrator is not the detective.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I think the seventh is Nash based on a few things.

1. She's fuckin weird and has bunny ears nobody else has bunny ears??

2. If she were a Brave, then if the myth is that engraved in the show's society, why would the guards be attempting to stop her from leaving in Episode 1? Even though Adlet IS a criminal, they're clearly attempting to stop both of them, and Nash is trampling her own people with wild abandon.

3. The earlier fake-fog theory I outlined.

4. She's fuckin weird and has bunny ears nobody else has bunny ears??

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
As far as suspects go, I think Adlet, Flamie, Chamot, and Goldov definitely didn't do anything. If anyone is not the seventh and isn't on the up-and-up, it's Maura. I don't think she's the seventh, but she's obviously not telling the whole truth about something- my read is that she actually does thing Adlet did it but isn't telling everyone everything because there's something that contradicts that that she's ignoring. Hans is suspicious as balls but he owns so I don't suspect him.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Riura isn't a Brave. :colbert:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Pavlov posted:

PS: Flamie Speeddraw is probably the worst anime name I've ever heard.

?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
...The dragon's name is Flamie.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
See what I'm saying is that Flamie should give Adlet, Hans, and Chamot a piggyback ride once this is all over.

Edit: Goldov is too dour to have fun with piggyback rides. Maura is the police chief so she'd have to turn in her own badge and gun. Nash will be off in the Evil Cave plotting Nefarious Nash Plots, because she's evil.

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 12, 2015

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Jackard posted:

All the worldbuilding is just setup for a dumb game of Werewolf and anything else didn't have any thought put into it

It's great

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
It is such a weird setup for a mystery show and it makes me happy

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Hans is pretty aces.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Nothing I've seen has dissuaded me from thinking I'm right about it being Nash. Actually, Adlet's unspecified doubt about the activation method only makes me more sure. He has clearly come to the same conclusion I did. :colbert:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

JimmyT64 posted:

This would be a valid point if it hadn't been shown that the barrier IS active - at the beginning of one of the episodes Catman and not-Batman wander around the forest a load with string, and its shown that they literally cannot leave.

Now having the fog saint fog the area up when the doors open, and then ACTUALLY activating the barrier later, before anyone can actually try getting out, that is a valid line of inquiry. More likely to be the Sun Saint though, because shes been mentioned a couple of times, whereas I don't believe a fog saint has actually come up. Before reaching the temple, there were several complaints about the heat, whereas soon after, people started mentioning how cold it was, so if the Sun Saint can both strengthen AND weaken sunlight in an area, she could cause fog to happen quite easily.

If that's the case, then Bunnygirl is almost certainly the culprit, with her crazy berserk mode act at the altar being the ACTUAL activation of the barrier. The problem of motive for both parties remains unsolved, though for the princess, it would probably have something to do with the rebellion that happened in her kingdom.

(This was supposed to be a short post about how what you proposed is wrong, look what you made me do.)

:hf: I have a comrade!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
where were you guys two weeks ago when i said exactly that, HARRUMPH :colbert:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I'm kidding. I'm not actually mad. This is a good show. :)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Adlet kind of rules.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I hope the anime ends with some random confused person walking up to the group after the barrier is dispelled and being like "So I was told I was supposed to come here" and pulls out a Brave tattoo and it cuts to black with a slide whistle and Hans saying "WELL HERE WE GO AGAIN"

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kild posted:

That one will be real as well.

Well of course.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

TWIST FIST posted:

i knew hans was the best character from the start :colbert:

alcharagia, two and a half weeks ago posted:

Flamie is at a solid 3rd on the list of Who Is The Best. She is above Maura, Goldov, Nash, and Chamot in that order.

The implication was that Hans was the best, and like you I am vindicated in being proven of this fact :colbert:

might have to bump up chamot now that we know that she barfs out satans though

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
First fog's not a barrier, it's real fog. :colbert:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I'm sticking to my Sun Saint idea until it's actively disproven. :colbert:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Nash directed Hans by playing the annoying ingenue with unerring belief in Adlet, prompting Hans's genius to be compelled to obliterate her naivete by accusing Adlet. It was Nash. Kill Nash 2015.

could also be maura but w/e

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

dogsicle posted:

The Sun Saint theory was based on weather science, right? Where do barriers enter into it?

There's only one barrier, and it's activated after the Adlet Gang enters the temple. Since it's fog, it's indistinguishable from the natural fog, so since nobody checked before the barrier was actually activated it seems like the barrier's been activated the entire time.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I don't think that Flamie was wrong per se, but since the idea of the Sun Saint hadn't occurred to Adlet, something that out-of-left-field wouldn't have come up for Flamie either. It is kind of a weird idea.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Basically I think Rokka is operating under Phoenix Wright rules where the solution occurs to nobody until Adlet brain-shouts "NO WAAAAAAAAAY!!!" and turns the case on its head with the one decisive piece of evidence everyone had overlooked. Prosecutor Chester flips out and is like "Argh!" Hans gives Adlet a weird look from the other end of the defense bench.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kylra posted:

Could be, but I really really don't think the sun saint being a superpowered goddess among saints and also in league with the fiends is going to be it.

The stated example we have of the Sun Saint's power is orbital laser beams. Making temperature shift is totally not that hard. :colbert:

(Also, I don't have a "why.")

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Also, Flamie's debunking of Adlet's running theory didn't disprove that Lauren was in on it and feeding the gang a line, so I'm taking that to mean that I was totally right about the activation method not being what he said it was.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kylra posted:

Seems like it would be pretty visible at least.

Lens flare shots in Episode 4.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The obvious answer is that it was actually Goldov all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Pavlov posted:

New theory: Goldov is actually a woman, as evidenced by the boob strap that the censors forced him to wear. He is also the saint of cataracts, which explains why everybody thinks it's foggy. Fog was never even a part of the barrier seriously why would they need fog when they already have seals? The barrier actually broke years ago because OSHA hasn't been invented, and was activated before they even got there. It ran out of energy way back, but is powered by people getting blue-balled, and so started up again the moment Goldov got anywhere near it. The guys at the fort lied about this because they're actually a bunch of hobos that have been living there and have no idea how any of this works. They just made some poo poo up so the Braves would gently caress off faster and not discover their meth operation. The fiends convinced Goldov to do this because this gives him all the time he needs to get in Nash's pants. The fiends of course know that is never happening though.

I'll buy it.

• Locked thread