Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Mat_Drinks posted:

STR modem and phone chat continues. I don't understand half of it and I work in IT.

Just be glad I haven't been :spergin: about signal levels and SNR when it comes to the modem chat. I'm amazed the drat thing can even get online; the phone modem (why they sent a modem instead of just a normal networked phone adapter is beyond me) keeps losing sync.

I had my phone looking like this last night. The original battery was glued in; my heart stopped when it made a loud CRACK when the battery popped loose. I swore I'd shattered the LCD.

AND IT'S NOT AUGUST DAMNIT. I REFUSE TO BELIEVE IT'S AUGUST, BECAUSE MY BIRTHDAY IS IN AUGUST AND I DON'T WANT TO BE 37. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Holy poo poo. Just got an email from my health insurance saying they finalized the claim for the hospital visit.

:stonklol:

I'm very confused. Happy as a pig in poo poo, but confused. I haven't hit my out of pocket limit for the year yet (though I am close).

Oddly, my PCP hasn't billed for my visit yet, though the lab that did the bloodwork has billed (and I also got a $0 bill for that too). The IOP I'm enrolled in told me they can hold off on billing for up to a month when I mentioned I was very close to hitting my out of pocket limit.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Geoj posted:

Why not just get one of the TWC techs to run you a new drop from the outside box into a more convenient place for your modem? It's really not much work for them and would beat dragging nearly 100' of cable in a hot attic.

Talked to TWC. $39.95 just to have them show up, can't give me a total price over the phone, but was told it would likely be at least $100. gently caress that.

I got a long rear end 100 foot extension cord, a hammer, and duct tape, and threw that motherfucker as hard as I could across the attic.

.... made it halfway. Dragged myself on my rear end across the rafters and got it to the other side, and even managed to pop out of the other hatch. Now to duct tape the new coax to the extension cord, pull it back, and hope it doesn't snag again.

fake edit: moving this to the August thread.

real edit: replaced early 90s coax with RG6U, downstream signal strength has gone down significantly. :fuckoff: (yet the SNR has gone down too :psyduck: ) Upstream power levels are exactly the same. It's locking at a higher downstream frequency now, so I don't know if that has something to do with the lower signal levels. Signal quality to the HDHomeRuns is also down a little.

I need to just get some modern splitters. The ones I have now are decent quality (Regal), but original to the house, and only rated to 1 GHz. I have a Klein up in the attic, but it's an 8 port, and I'm worried that many ports, even with terminators, will degrade the signal further.

real edit 2: pulled new cable to the modem outlet, signal quality is much better and uncorrectable errors are a tiny fraction of what they were before. upstream power is still on the high side, but it's got a stable signal now.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 2, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

literally a fish posted:

RF is goddamn voodoo magic, man. I'd definitely replace those splitters, most stuff goes up to 1.5+ GHz these days. Number of ports on the splitter is largely irrelevant; you lose ~1dB for every connector junction, and usually a couple dB for every splitter, but the number of ports shouldn't change that loss unless it's an absolute piece of trash splitter.

Still, no point having more ports than you have a use for.

A good friend of mine is a cable installer. He had me take the modem to the grounding block outside and send him a screenshot of the signal levels - MASSIVE difference, with absolutely zero CRC errors, though SNR was still the same. He's positive it's either a bad connection somewhere (doubtful, I just pulled new cable from the outside all the way to the splitter, and the modem is on the -3.5db port on the splitter with new cable as well, though I may have done a poor crimping job somewhere) or old splitters. The splitter I've had the most luck with is a 3 port that's as old as the house (1994).

He's sending me some splitters, and also sending me a powered DOCSIS 3.0 amp (0db loss on 7 ports, plus an 8th passive port, which is meant for a MTA).

e: I should probably just try eliminating the splitters entirely and using a coupler to connect the modem outlet directly to the main coax line - that would tell me if there was a bad crimp or connection somewhere - but I'm done with crawling around in a hot attic for awhile.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 2, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Damnit. I started installing LED retrofits in the kitchen ceiling a couple of years ago, as the CFLs burned out - six 6 inch cans.

The lights I went with were $25 at the time. They're now $40 - when I can find them (I'm thinking they may be discontinued, I can only find them at one Home Depot now), and the mounting on them leaves a lot to be desired. They're Commercial Electric, Home Depot's home brand. There's 3 of the CE LEDs, 2 CFLs, and I just tried a $15 EcoSmart retrofit. The EcoSmart went in super easy (far easier than the Commercial Electrics); I'm tempted to just go ahead and replace the other five with them. Color temp is slightly different, but not noticeable unless you look right at it (and it's blindingly bright to look at).

5 x $15 = $75, some swearing while removing the Commercial Electric pucks, and about 30 seconds to install the new EcoSmarts. The hardest part is unbolting the socket from the can and screwing the bulb into it - then the entire thing just slides into the can, and locks in via 3 strong friction clips.

2 x $40 = $80 (I'd need a third too, since I have an EcoSmart in the mix now, but I can at least return it if I need to), and a lot of swearing trying to get them to lock into the cans - they also have 3 friction clips, but you have to turn them, then twist the retrofit into the can and hope you don't break the plastic tabs that keep the clips from going too far.

I hate trying to make everything match. :argh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Aug 2, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Damnit. The tint on my rear window is starting to bubble - noticed a big rear end wrinkle in it.

Got a quote to remove the tint from the whole car - $85. Think I'll go ahead and strip the front windows myself, then let the pros do the rears (I don't want to gently caress up the defroster grid, and it looks like the tint overlaps the black part on the back side windows). It's getting retinted for sure, but that wrinkle is driving me loving nuts.

Might just get the rear window retinted for now, then the rear sides, then finally the front, as I can afford to.

Mom's a luddite who refuses to give up a physical keyboard on her phone. She has a Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G that's been acting up. Awhile back I put a rooted, debloated, but otherwise stock ROM on it, and that sped it up some, but it's been locking up a lot lately (requiring battery pulls), and generally being really painful to use. She took it to a Samsung service center, they said the software was out of date and wanted :20bux: to update it. I checked it when she got home, it has the latest T-Mobile release available (and 1 version newer than what's on Samsung's own web site). Turns out Cyanogenmod actually has an active development community for that phone for CM11 - the nightly I put on it was dated Sunday, and the thread I found on XDA said that the CM nightlies are more stable than the stock ROM. It's a totally different phone, easily twice as fast at everything.

Tusen Takk posted:

Windows 10 owns for what it is; better performance compared to Win7 and it freed up 200GB on my HDD

Takes longer to boot on my laptop compared to 8.1 (also a little longer to login), but beyond that it seems quick. I really dig the new start menu.

How the gently caress did it free up 200GB? My laptop only has 300GB total, and the upgrade didn't make any real significant difference.

I'm trying to convince mom to upgrade her Win7 machine to 10 - more because the install is so old that it feels like using a Pentium 4 (actually, the P4 in the next room boots up faster, and is quicker overall), despite her desktop being a Sandy Bridge i3 with 4 gigs of RAM. At least that way she wouldn't have to reinstall much, if anything, and it'd give her a fresh start. But she'd lose WMC, and she occasionally watches TV in there. I think I might just put a small cheap TV in there; there's already a cable outlet, and I have a spare digital adapter.

Or I might just use one of my spare 8.1 keys.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mafoose posted:

Shop around on the tint?

$99 will have a car tinted here with suntek that has a lifetime warranty. $40 more to remove old tint.

I probably should. This was at Earmark, which is a fairly high end local chain that does audio/alarms/tint, using Formula 1 tint.

meatpimp posted:

Just buy a steamer for less than that and do it yourself, then you have a steamer, too. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-STEAM-SHARK-II-HARD-SURFACE-STEAM-CLEANER-EP908-EURO-PRO-X-/331608660700?hash=item4d356a9adc That's what I have. It worked on 20-year old tint on the MR2, 4 year old tint on the Juke, 10 year old tint on a truck and 3 year old tint on an Acura.

The more you take the tint off, the easier it gets, but it's really no more complex than "hit it with steam, then slowly peel." Keep the steam mostly on the dry side and it comes off clean.

Like I want to be using a steamer when the projected highs for the next week are nearly 110. At least the (decent) shops have air conditioned shops. I don't even have a garage I can pull into. My a/c is ice loving cold and can easily freeze my nipples off, but I think the steamer (and having the doors open) would offset that a bit.

I honestly have no idea how old this tint is - the rear window is the only one that has any issues, it's noticeably faded a bit more than the other windows too. I do know it wasn't tinted in Texas (missing the sticker that we've required for nearly a decade).

Sigma X posted:

I just made an appointment half an hour ago to have all-round tint put on my Fiesta and it's $355 for ceramic tint. I realize that prices change based on the market, but... your budget tint joint where they use dyed plastic film might be $99, but it's more for anything approaching quality film by a quality installer.

Ceramic or metallic is what I planned to use.

Sigma X posted:

Oh, I know. I know. I've used Huper Optik ceramic in several of my other cars and it's always been great; there's just no installers for that brand in the area. Nothing beats it for UV and heat rejection. I wish they could make it clear with the same efficacy, I'd put it on every window.

Looks like there's an installer about 20 minutes away.

I'm still sorta leaning toward FormulaOne Comfort (which is metallic). I don't want plain dyed film, even though I only plan to keep the car another couple of years.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pham Nuwen posted:

Had to make a sudden stop on the drive home from work today, got rearended mildly. 2012 Camry didn't even have a cracked rear bumper, while her grille was pushed back and the hood was smashed up. Traded information, I'll file the claim soon.

Could have been worse, pretty much no damage to the car besides some slight cosmetic stuff on the bottom of the rear bumper.

I rearended a mid 90s Camry several years ago in my Accord. Exact same thing, but in reverse - I was the one that hit them. They made a sudden stop, and I had turned my head to see if I'd be okay to make my turn (she was in a right turn lane with a yield sign), Camry didn't have a scratch, my car had $3500 in damage. From a ~5 mph impact. :sigh: I caught them with the corner of my bumper with nothing behind it, not even styrofoam, so the bumper went into the headlight, into the airbox, fender, hood, and radiator support.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So when I met with my doctor the other day, she didn't like how low my blood sugar has been trending since I quit drinking - it's generally been staying under 100 except immediately after meals (which is great), but occasionally drops into the 60s, and very occasionally into the high 50s. We discussed cutting one of the meds down to once a day. I told her I would give it a try if it dropped really low, otherwise I would make an effort to eat 3 meals a day instead of 2.

That happened today. Started feeling "off" on my way back to the store. Couldn't tell if it was because I took my Naltrexone during the day instead of last night (I take it at night because I don't like the way it makes me feel - but it does help a lot with alcohol cravings), or if it was blood sugar. By the time I'd parked (I started feeling weird a block away), I was shaking pretty bad, so I knew it was sugar. Checked it once I got inside...

47. :stonk: No wonder I felt so lovely.

Took a few sugar pills I keep with me for that very reason. Boss got me something to eat. 30 minutes later it was back in the 90s, but I always feel horrific for the rest of the day after a sugar crash, and my boss said I looked like a ghost. He had another driver coming in in 45 minutes, and there was a 2nd driver working (only his 3rd shift, but it was a slow time of day). He sent me home and told me to get some rest; wound up taking a nap in my car with the a/c on for a bit before driving home.

Still feel like rear end, still a little shaky even though my sugar is a bit over 100 (just ate dinner).

Upside: 3 weeks sober. This is the longest I've been sober since 2008 or so.

fjelltorsk posted:

I am volunteering, actually i am volunteering to obey their ruleset and to stay the full stint. i can remove my consent at any time but i really dont see the point. i only get to have my phone in periods of the day and at night to listen to podcast. i have a feeling that with the meds i on atm i probably wont make it past the plugs on the beginning of freakonomics.

I've done voluntary (... and one involuntary), and was never allowed access to my phone, except when I did a 30 day inpatient stay for rehab years ago (and I only had access to that when I got a day pass to leave; I had to buy a calling card to use phones otherwise - no data service on my phone way out there either, or even voice service until I got about 2 miles away).

Good for you on getting some help. I know exactly how hard it is to walk into a loony bin.

SuperDucky posted:

Storm just rolled through and will continue to lightly rain all the way down my commute home. Its 1645, here. Time to get the e30 sideways. :getin:

29 days since we got any rain, heat indexes around 110 for the next week. :sigh: I need to pull (more) cable in the attic soon too.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fart Pipe posted:

Dude this is awesome and Im so happy for you for doing this. Im getting close to the point where I think I need to get sober for at least a significant amount of time. Ive cut WAY back to drinking to excess 1-2 times a week this year and I still think its too much. Even on the weeks where I get drunk only one day is starting to get to me but not enough to quit entirely yet.

I was drinking enough that I didn't get hangovers anymore (probably because there was always some amount of alcohol in my system). If I even smell alcohol now, I get an instant headache and nausea, and I'm sure if I were to have even a few beers I'd wind up with a bitch of a hangover.

mariooncrack posted:

Good job STR! I'm glad you're doing well.

Not gonna lie, it's been difficult. I had a cousin invite me to one of my favorite bars last week, which was part of a fundraiser for the Texas Gay Rodeo Association (not really into cowboys or rednecks, but I'm always up for anything to help the local LGBT community), and I had a really hard time saying no. I started trying to justify it by saying "I'll just go up there, donate, and shoot a few games of pool", which turned into "... and I know I'll have a drink while I play pool", which turned into "gently caress, I know I can't stop with one drink, I'll drink until I'm smashed or my wallet is empty, this would be a really bad idea".

That extra ~$100+ a week sure is nice though. So is gaining another notch on my belt, I'm down almost 15 pounds (... I think the cat found a lot of it, holy poo poo he's getting huge - weighed him today, 15.5.. he's gonna be pissed when I stop the free feeding).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Goddamn I'm about to throw my mom's phone through a wall. Put the stock ROM back on it (though I had to root it to install AdAway), which fixed the issues with the screen randomly not coming on. But I'm trying to restore ColorNote from a Nandroid, and the app just crashes after restoring it using Nandroid Manager. :argh: Helium couldn't restore the data at all, just said it was corrupted (yet I made a 2nd backup with Helium).

She had a ton of stuff in there that, of course, wasn't backed up anywhere except Nandroid. And if I restore the Nandroid backup, that puts her back on a flaky ROM. I've even gone so far as to change it to the previous Android ID.

...... and just as I finish this, I cleared the data for ColorNote again, opened it, went into the settings, and found out it does daily auto backups. Holy poo poo, my rear end has just been pulled out of the fire.

I wish she'd consider the thought of a phone without a physical keyboard. She likes Android, but this phone is really long in the tooth (Samsung SGH-T699 - Relay 4G, doesn't even do LTE). Just got a new battery for it today, so that should at least help with battery life. The only phones out there with a real keyboard are Blackberries, feature phones, and a couple of really lovely low end Androids.

mariooncrack posted:

I can't speak from personal experience but I imagine it's super difficult since you have have to change so much about your life. Realizations like "I can't just have one beer" must be awful. I'm sure the extra $100 must be helpful when it comes to pay your bills and I'm sure the weight loss is helping your diabetes and blood pressure. This is going to be a long process but again, I'm really glad you're doing better. It was hard reading some of those posts you made from the ER.

Those posts were made from the ICU. :colbert: Thank gently caress I was drugged up enough that I really don't remember much of it, though I do remember trying to make it to the bathroom and... my sphincter not agreeing with my timing (specifically, becoming a pressure washer of fecal liquid aimed at the wall, toilet, floor, and my shorts). Goddamn that was a mess.

It's wrecked havoc with my diabetes - I've had one severe sugar crash so far (yesterday), and a few that could have gotten nasty fast if I hadn't caught them in time. My doctor had suggested I reduce to one dose of one of my meds a day; I started that today, we'll see how that goes. I know I can't go without it; I checked my blood sugar several hours after eating today, and it was around 160. It's nothing tweaking some meds can't fix, but my veins runs away screaming and hide behind nerves, tendons, bones, and other guts whenever it's time for a blood draw. And to get an accurate A1c reading, you usually need blood.

My blood pressure has been fantastic, except when I wake up, though my doctor did increase one of the medications (the ace inhibitor - Lisinopril). It's generally low 100s over low 60s, pulse hanging out around 60, except when I first wake up (then it's usually 135-140 over about 80 with a higher pulse, but the BP meds have worn off by then). I really feel like I'm in good enough shape to start jogging again, aside from the :supaburn: heat; gonna have to use some of that money I'm saving to restart my membership at the city rec center, they have an indoor track (with glorious glorious air conditioning).

I just checked the BP; 111/69, 59 pulse.

And yeah, the whole "I just want a couple of cold ones" is the worst part. My dad has been down the alcoholism road, though not as bad as I have (he never quite needed detox, while I've been tossed into the ICU a few times - but he relapsed plenty of times). But just the smell of liquor on a customer makes me almost dry heave now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jesus loving christ, I just got an email saying one of my claims was finalized, so I looked at my claims with my medical insurance. My PCP billed $450 for an office visit (plus $20 for "labs" - they didn't do any labs on site, they only drew blood) - and got paid $161. Both of those are more that I would pay if I paid cash for a visit at an urgent care clinic. And as it turns out, they weren't supposed to collect a copay, since I'm over my out of pocket limit.

I mean, I know insurance is paying for it, but that's goddamned ridiculous. My old PCP billed $174 per visit, didn't charge an office visit to draw blood (only for the return visit for the results), and got paid $102 per visit. I only switched because (a) I wasn't happy having to drive so far to see my doctor and (b) his staff (hell, even the doctor himself) couldn't find a vein to draw blood from even if you were going for the neck. They were doing some shady double billing on my insurance as well.

The new place I go to is a bit nicer, but not THAT much nicer. The online patient portal is a nice feature, but this is just a random doctor's office in the middle of suburbia.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Great Beer posted:

I should probably be concerned about how often the phrase "burn this motherfucker to the ground" is said by my coworkers when they talk about work.

Perhaps they're fans of the original Harold & Kumar movie?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

This is the one day of the week I have completely to myself (I also have Tuesdays off, but I have a meeting with my therapist every Tuesday, along with an IOP group session on Tuesdays). Also the last Saturday I have off, I asked my boss to switch it to Sundays starting on the next schedule.

I'd like to finish running the last of the new coax (and redoing a few questionable crimps that I'm pretty sure are killing signal quality), but it's well above 100 outside (which means my attic is probably far north of 130F). So I'm gonna clean the aquarium, lounge around, and find some bad B movies on Netflix for myself and FatSTRcat to watch (yes, he's now on a diet, just like me, after tipping the scales at 15.5 lbs - he looks like a furry pear when he's sitting down).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Been trying to drop new coax into the guest bedroom.

Finally bought a set of spade drill bits, since my largest drill bit (3/8) wasn't able to drill a big enough hole to get the coax through. Bought a 25 ft fish tape. And bought a coax stripper.

Used the 9/16 drill bit, since I plan to drop another network cable through the same opening, plus the end of the fish tape is kinda wide (there's going to be a network jack in my room on the other side of the wall, between the same studs). Ran the cable down in a couple of minutes. Went down, had it stripped in 5 seconds. Crimped in another 5 seconds, though I've had the crimper for years.

Now I'm wondering how I ever lived without these things.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

The right tools for the job make an amazing difference. I bought a fresh set of spade bits and a fish tape when I bought a house, because I knew I would be running cable somewhere, be it romex or network or whatever. Very good decision. That and a good strong cordless drill.
I've used them at least a dozen times each, and the fish tape even comes in handy on the car. Just used it to fish through some speaker, power, and RCA cables on the Vic. (I love having a subwoofer again.)

Mom has a cordless drill, but the battery on it is worthless, and being an older Black & Decker, you just get a lot of BAHAHAHAH YOU WANT A BATTERY FOR WHAT?! when you try to find a new one. Not that it ever had much power to begin with.

We have two attic access hatches. One of them is above the garage, fully floored, but only a single light, and really no reason to go up there except for storage (I would like to swap the light for a strip light with a pull chain at some point). The other is in the hallway, and allows access to the furnace and water heater. That one has a switched light (instead of a pullchain) with a massive CFL (150W or 300W replacement if I remember right, it's almost the length of my forearm), and I swapped the porcelain socket for one with a built-in outlet - so there's a cheap shop light about 10 ft away hanging by the furnace that's plugged into that outlet. The shop light is old enough that it uses oddball 25W 4 ft T12 tubes that I can't find anywhere, and one bulb is out, so once the other goes out I'll snag a couple of T8 corded lights. That side of the attic also has an outlet by the hatch (I tapped into that outlet for power for my closet for all the network crap), and that's the side of the house I'm most likely to do any drilling, so I got the cheapest Ryobi drill Home Depot carried. So far a ~25 ft extension cord has been more than enough, and it has enough torque to drill right through a 2x4 in 2-3 seconds.

I need to add another light on that side, mostly above the coax spaghetti, even if it's just long enough for me to untangle everything and get it cleaned up. The house is old enough that it's wired with A/B cable (which was nice when we had satellite for TV and a local ISP, also nice when we had FiOS for internet and TWC for TV), and the wiring is a godawful mess thanks to 2 cables going to every room. Only 4 jacks in the house are hooked up (2 in my closet, 1 in the den, 1 in the guest bedroom), but there's probably 20 cables up there, between the abandoned satellite system wiring, rooms that aren't hooked up, TVs that have been moved to different walls, rooms that only have 1 jack hooked up, etc. Once I figure out what cable goes where, I plan to basically take a weed whacker to all of it and trim everything to reasonable lengths (some of the cables are 10+ feet too long), label everything, and make a diagram. Also need to get some velcro ties for all the network cabling to tidy it up a bit.

The fish tape would have come in handy on the sub install in the Ion - I used a cut up wire coat hanger to get the RCAs and remote wire under the carpet. :cripes: I never knew how cheap it was though - paid $12 for a 25 ft Klein steel tape with markings every foot (Wal-Mart had a knockoff for $11 with no markings). $13 for a dozen spade drill bits from Wal-Mart (Black & Decker, but I won't use them often enough for the B&D lack of quality to matter), and $13 for the Klein coax stripper. So far the coax stripper has been the "how the hell have I lived without this?!" tool, it takes 5 seconds to perfectly strip RG6 and RG59.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 9, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Man, I've gotta start eating healthier. Or at least larger meals before I take the beetus meds.

Got really dizzy at work today out of nowhere.

OHSHI....

I took two readings to make sure I didn't get a funky strip. They were only 1 point off of each other. Chugged a Pepsi and finished off the last of my glucose tablets, which got it into the 80s. I wanted to take it one more time a bit later, but it was my last strip, and the meter claimed it (strip) was water damaged. :argh:

literally a fish posted:

Replacing lithium ion cells with spotwelded interconnects and epoxied on thermal sensors seems like a fast track to an unnecessary world of hurt

It's old enough that it's NiCad, and uses a cheap wall wart as a charger.

jammyozzy posted:

If I need to get an MX-5 that's sat for 3 years started and running well enough to get onto a trailer & up a sloped driveway, is there anything else I need apart from:
  • Drain & replace the fuel
  • Fit a fresh battery
  • Air up the tyres
There's still oil in it and I'm going to pull the engine once it's on the driveway anyway, so I'm not too concerned about it running for a few seconds with whatever's in there. The plugs had <5k miles on them when the car was parked, do you think a fresh set would do me any favours? Anything else I'm not thinking of? I've never done this before. :shobon:

Like RIP Paul Walker said, the fuel in there is likely still good enough to at least get it started and moving. It'll run like rear end, but it will (probably) run.

* Source: an ex had a Cavalier that sat for over 3 years, all we did was toss a battery in it and crank it for about 10 seconds, and it fired right up (I assume the 10 seconds was because anything remotely resembling fuel had drained back to the tank or turned into varnish). Ran like complete poo poo until it got some fresh gas in it, and the fuel pump went out shortly after, but it drove home under its own power on fuel over 3 years old.

Plugs should be fine. The only thing I'd be concerned about would be the belts and hoses, but if you're just moving it around a bit, I wouldn't even worry about that. Do plan to do all the gaskets while it's out though, along with the timing belt.

NoWake posted:

Dunno if there's been much uber/lyft/etc chat here recently or if it's been run out of AI, but I tried it out tonight and don't think I will do it again. The passengers were fine and I made $140 in six hours of driving, but that's before gas, wear and tear, and paying my taxes. I drove nearly 200 miles, all city miles, which equates to 1.5 to 2 weeks' worth of driving in one night... and I should have seen it coming, but driving a stick shift around the city for 6 hours SUCKS. 4 or 5 times a month, and I'll be doubling the annual mileage on my car and service it twice as much, not to mention sacrifice most of my weekend nights for maybe 4 grand over the course of a year.

Try delivering pizza - though you're usually a W2 employee with most pizza places, not a contractor, so you don't have to worry about setting aside a bit for taxes. It's just as hard on your car, if not more so, and pays a bit less. :sigh:

The last Uber driver I had was driving a super clean Benz. I'm guessing he normally drove for their Black Car section, but you can take on lower levels if your normal tier is slow. I had requested an UberX car, which is their lowest tier.

QuarkMartial posted:

My truck is in need of a tune up or something. Longer commute means I'm burning the hell out of some gas. Sitting at about 220k miles on probably factory plugs (if they were changed before I bought it, then 140k on the plugs). I've got a replacement fuel filter, just haven't replaced it yet. I am exhausted and probably not thinking super clearly. What else could be dropping my efficiency down?

It just makes me hope I can pick up a 5spd 4cyl beater car come tax time to rack up miles on instead of my truck.

Fake E: 06 F150 with a V6, so no 2 piece plug shenanigans for me at least. Used to get around 17 on the highway, now it seems like a lot less but I've not been able to measure it lately.

HEY FARVA, WHAT'S THE NAME OF THAT RESTAURANT YOU LIKE SO MUCH?

You mean Shenanigans? :haw:

Seriously though, change the plugs. They're rated for 80-100k IIRC, they're undoubtedly severely worn by now; new ones won't hurt a thing, and if nothing else, will make it a lot easier to start.

Rhyno posted:

So the "new" alternator I put in the Civic is also junk. I guess I'll buy a rebuild or something but realistically, how far/long could I possibly drive the car without it? I really need to get it back here where the tools live and I don't feel like trailering it. The trip is 7 miles, about 15-20 minutes in traffic.

I once drove my 96 Civic EX for over half an hour with no alternator (as in the alternator wasn't even in the engine bay; the big wire was taped up so it wouldn't short on anything). It ran for about 35-45 minutes before it started missing; stereo and cluster started acting up shortly before that. It died shortly after it started misfiring, but someone stopped and gave me a jump (and left the cables hooked up for about 10 minutes), which got me enough power to get it started and drive it the remaining mile home.

My 99 Altima had the alternator poo poo itself in rush hour on a hot day. Didn't even notice the light until I got off the highway and realized the a/c wasn't moving as much air, then looked down and saw the CEL, brake, and alternator lights all lit (Nissans for some reason light up the brake light when the alternator light comes on). Still made it the rest of the way home (15 minutes, a/c blasting, radio still on), voltage was down to about 11.5 when I got home. Still cranked up just fine, I drove it another 15 minutes or so to get a new battery.

You'll be fine as long as you have a good battery, just don't turn on anything unnecessary. And if you drive it sans alternator, make drat sure you tape the hell out of the positive cable to keep it from shorting on anything.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 10, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Still waiting on the cable amplifier to show up. Once it does, I get to tackle this:

I don't even know where half of those cables go. :shepicide:

Finally got the TWC phone interface moved into the closet. Swapped out the keystone plate for a 4 hole, added another coax jack, added an RJ11 jack. I had to play the swap the cables and splitters game for nearly an hour to get both modems to sync (why the gently caress does TWC send you an actual cable modem if you order landline service?!).

And our driver with the low mileage 88 or 89 Oldsmobile Cutlass? Tossed a rod last night. Thought I heard a bit of lifter rattle yesterday, so I'm guessing he didn't check the oil often enough.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 11, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Elmnt80 posted:

Make a stinger from a short length of rg6, a 9v and some electrical tape! Strip one end of the wire, leaving the other end with a fitting, wrap it around both ends of the 9v, secure with tape and you're good. Hook it up to a wall outlet and stick your tounge to wire until you find the hot one. Bonus points if you find one with phone signal running through it and get 90v instead!

How about no :v:

I can figure out most of what goes where just by seeing what wall the wire disappears into. Problem is the house is old enough to have A/B cable, so there's 2 wires (and 2 jacks) per cable. If I'm gonna go as far as to build a stinger, I may as well buy a cheap toner instead. My goal isn't necessarily to get everything hooked up, it's more to get all of the cables organized, cut down a bit in length, neatly run, and labeled.

Also that spaghetti mess is severely loving with the modem, or TWC is having issues (I'm betting TWC). Cable modem kept dropping out until I disconnected the MTA and its splitter (modem is now on the lowest loss port of the only splitter); still seeing some packet loss (looks like about 8% while pinging Google's primary DNS), but the signal quality is much improved, and the modem isn't logging any CRC errors. If my friend doesn't mail that amp soon I'll go ahead and drop the $50 on it myself. Cable modem is showing zero CRC errors, but I can't hit TWC's DNS server (switched to Google's for now), and I'm still getting random timeouts.

the spyder posted:

Also STR- thanks for the upgrade!

Dude, you sent me a pretty drat nice switch and a SSD. Least I could do. :glomp:

meatpimp posted:

Just ordered a Zenfone 2 to replace my Nexus 5. Hmmmmm.

Nexus 5 2015 is supposedly just around the corner.

I'm trying to keep my N5 alive - so far I've replaced the battery (and the back cover I mangled). Now the power button acts like I'm hitting it 20 times if I so much as sneeze on it, and it's soldered to the board. :smith: I've mapped a volume button to work as the power button for now, but that doesn't work when I'm listening to music.

Just looked up the specs on the Zenphone 2, looks pretty drat nice. Especially for the price.

Great Beer posted:

Fun poo poo. My dad's el Camino developed some kind of rod knock last week too. While he was showing it to a prospective buyer no less. :suicide:

The worst part is this car was new enough to have a 6 digit odometer. Less than 80k on it.

Terminal rust though, since he's from Michigan and it was a late 80s GM.

bandman posted:

Edit: it would cost me $310 to terminate my Verizon contract, which is up September of next year. :sigh:

Somehow I got out of my Verizon contract (though this was FiOS) - someone had offered to let me out of it about 6 months ago, but said I'd lose all discounts. I said no at the time, but when I called to cancel, they told me I wouldn't have an ETF as someone had cancelled the contract for me.

Saved me $200.

mariooncrack posted:

Moto g 2015?

That's looking pretty tempting to me too, aside from the display.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

meatpimp posted:

N5 2015 is looking to be at $350 for 16gb, which isn't bad, but still not expandable storage... for my use, Zenphone 2 should be good for a bit, we'll see.

Oh good, they're bringing it back down to sane (for Nexus) pricing?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

We had an a/c company come out and check out the a/c units at work about 2 months ago. One was iced over, but it was because the belt was dry rotted and the blower was barely turning. Still stayed in the 90s in the store after they thawed it out. They said the other two units were fine.

Our maintenance guy (who works directly for our franchise) checked them yesterday. One of them had almost no refrigerant, and the compressor wouldn't even kick on. He charged it. Today I walked into a store that was 72 degrees up front, 75 next to the ovens. It was almost orgasmic. Even with both ovens going all day, two of three fryers on all day, and the sun beating down, it never got out of the 70s inside.

bandman posted:

The electronic controls are crazy reliable. I hardly ever see any electronic control failures. Most of the failures I see on the machines I work on are from machines that are in laundromats turning 20 to 30 loads per day, and those failures are usually from customers over loading machines every time. Even with that level of abuse, it still takes three or four years for things to start really going wrong. Speed Queen machines really are built like tanks.

The dorms I lived in had Speed Queen front loaders with electronic controls. One unit would start bitching about the door switch now and then (I think anyway, I googled the error code at one point), but it was generally fixed the next day.

Fart Pipe posted:

I bought a HAF Cooler Master case like 2 years ago to build my current desktop and literally all the front USB ports that came with it broke cause they are piles of poo poo.

Ugh, I get a lot of "USB device has malfunctioned" errors when I use one of the built-in USB ports on my Cooler Master case.

Thankfully one of my monitors has 4 USB ports on it. Though two are on the back and a bitch to get to - my keyboard and Fitbit dongle stay plugged in back there.

I don't really plug much stuff into the PC often anyway though (beyond what's always plugged in) - phone occasionally when I want to flash a new or updated ROM, sometimes a SD card reader since my internal one poo poo itself. Which I've misplaced, but a new USB 3.0 one is $7 shipped on Amazon (vs like $20-30 for a USB 3.0 internal one), and the $7 one also handles microSD.

Tomarse posted:

To be fair, our water tastes different everywhere you go and I think most new buildings in the UK manage to do something in their plumbing that makes it taste wierd. I've been in various places down south/South East this week and it seems to have been especially wierd/horrible tasting in them all. Even in Bath (which is famous for its springs) the water where i was staying was horrible.

Depending what city in DFW you're in, the water will taste different. Each city in the metro area generally runs its own water treatment, and we also have something like a dozen lakes that we draw our water from.

I can't handle the tap water at work, while the tap water at home (5 miles away, but a different city) isn't terrible.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Friend that was supposed to send me a cable amp walked out on his cable installer job and told his boss to gently caress himself. Pretty sure the amp was going to fall off the truck, and he's been hard to reach lately, so I gave up and ordered the same model amp he was going to send me. Specifically, this one. The active return amp was a plus, as most are passive. So is the pass-through VoIP, since I do have landline service via coax, and do plan to put a battery into the MTA (supposed to keep it going for 8-12 hours, I'll probably put all the network poo poo on a UPS soon too - I'd love to know why TWC sends a complete cable modem with a built-in MTA though, even if you don't lease a modem - they just disable the internet portion of it if you don't lease it).

At my worst, my downstream signal was around -12dB, SnR around 32dB, upstream signal around 58dB, when the modem could sync. On average it was -8dB down, SnR was decent around 35-38, upstream still in the mid 50s, and the second cable modem with the MTA would constantly lose sync. The HDHomeRuns were also showing roughly ~55-60% signal quality and would pixelate randomly. The (internet) cable modem was also logging hundreds of thousands of CRC errors.

Now I have about as perfect of a signal as it gets to my (internet) cable modem. No idea what it is to the MTA, since it's also a cable modem (one that has an IP I don't know, plugs into a different coax jack, and the ethernet ports are inactive), but it syncs despite the -5dB loss on the passive port (has to be better than the daisy chain mess of splitters it replaced. The passive port remains active during a power failure and is designed specifically for a MTA.

Maybe now my lovely Adult Swim shows will stop pixelating, and my internet will stop dripping packets everywhere. poo poo's much more reliable so far.

rdb posted:

Congrats on the teeth. I too have had a bone graft and two implants (for three teeth) in the front of my bottom jaw. Be sure to follow the surgeons instructions about cleaning exactly. I had them done as a teenager and did not, and wound up having to go back in and have my jaw scraped. On the plus side, I am now 35 and they have held up great and still look as good as the day I got them.

Implants are something I'm going to need eventually (and probably a bone graft). In the front, I only have 1 upper tooth remaining, and it's a crown that's chipped. The rest were all crowns or bridges, and all snapped off at or close to the gum. :sigh: Part of it was refusing to brush my teeth often as a kid, part of it genetics I think (my dad has lovely teeth too), and of course all the drugs didn't help.

I have a few broken in the back (had a tongue piercing for all of a week until I bit down on it and broke 3 teeth), but the nerves are long dead at this point, so I'll get them yanked whenever I get any other work done. And they're knocking my rear end out cold before they even get me into the chair, I HATE dental work.

Astonishing Wang posted:

It's not a ranch if you're building trucks on it. It's a truck factory.

Who does Japan thinks we are?

Well, it IS built in Texas. :clint:

stump posted:

Drove Vegas > Death Valley > 395 > 207 > South Lake Tahoe yesterday in a rented Nissan Altima S.

Stunning drive, but the I'm not impressed with the Altima. Steering is heavy without feedback, and the CVT can go suck a dick. Coming up the winding hills on the 207 (great road) I'd ease off the throttle into a corner, it goes down a "gear", back on the throttle to balance the car *clunk*, floor it coming out the corner *clunk*, next corner rinse and repeat. And that was in "sport" mode with overdrive disabled. Any slight backing off of the throttle means the car immediately goes up a few gears and then has a paddy when you ask for the power you had s few seconds ago.

Is that normal for a CVT? I don't have much experience with automatics but I expected better for a '15 model. Theoretically that car should be quicker than my diesel e46 buy that gearbox ruins the car. Admittedly it goes ok when it is in proper CVT mode.

My dad had an Altima S for a rental when he came out to visit a couple of weeks ago. Even just riding as a passenger, the CVT felt really weird. Comfortable and quiet car, but the engine was already making death rattle noises on startup with only 15k on the odometer (sounded like it had a broken timing chain guide... or tensioner).

He kept it in CVT mode the entire time, so it was smooth, but still disconcerting not feeling any gear changes.

stump posted:

Yeah, with I used to be anti-automatic, but purely based upon what I had read about them getting better in recent years I had come around the idea of an auto... but I guess some of them still suck. Might get a 528xi from zipcar on the last day of the holiday, I imagine that might be more like what I expected from a modern auto.

It really depends on the car for me.

Just going on rental experience, the 4 speed auto GM uses in most DBW cars absolutely blows in that it takes seconds to figure out how long it should take to downshift when you stomp it - except for the loaner 2010 Impala LS I had when the dealer was fixing warranty issues on my car, that one actually downshifted quickly (only the LS got the 4 speed for that year IIRC, all others got the 6 speed). I expected to find a V6 under the hood when I looked, but it was just a Ecotec 2.4 with variable valve timing.

The 6 speed auto in a rental Cruze I had was drat responsive. I don't know how the gently caress I managed to add 3 MPG to the average mpg on it, I was driving it like I stole it the whole time I had it, with traction control off. I popped the hood expecting to see a decent sized engine, then saw this tiny little 1.4 with a cute tiny turbo and went "how the gently caress is this thing doing one wheel peels all day?!". (.... granted, it was raining all day...)

Tommychu posted:

Man, I knew Haynes manuals were loving useless but I hadn't read one for a post-1995 vehicle before. They really are loving painful, especially the electrical section. The whole diagrams chapter might as well be a single page of IGN SW-----------[LOGIC]----------GND, and stuff any mulleted hick with a 6 pack of Old Milwaukee, a nut lathe and 3 brain cells could fix in ten minutes with absolutely no safety risk gets the 'YOU SHOULD TAKE THIS TO A DEALER DON'T TOUCH IT' note. I can't believe I paid money for this thing, it's absolute loving garbage. Should have listened to kastein and everyone else on the subject.

I've found they're only really useful for showing you how to pack wheel bearings. Which you don't do on most vehicles today anyway. The one for my 80 F-150 was semi useful - but also about twice as thick as today's versions.

I'd love to get my hands on a FSM for my car, but it's so much like every other car I've owned (except for the funky timing chain driven water pump, and the variable displacement ac compressor) that I've been able to figure out everything just by looking around a bit under the hood or using Google for 10 seconds. I don't even know if GM sells FSMs for my car, for that matter, I haven't really looked into it that much. It'd just be nice to have torque specs for whenever I have to do suspension work, and for whenever the clutch eventually needs to be replaced (drat thing still feels new with 120k, aside from chattering a little on the first few shifts of the day).

meatpimp posted:

I don't like it, it's going straight back.

I like the form factor.

I don't like the build quality, it feels like cheap plastic. I don't like the screen brightness or color rendition -- side-by-side with my Nexus 5 the ZF2 is less bright and much more dull. I don't like the ASUS, speaker and home buttons in reflective chrome.

Basically, I went from a Nexus 4 to a Nexus 5 and I'm spoiled on the polished, quality feel of the Google units. I also have a Nexus 7 (2013), and there is absolutely a familial feel to the three.

Looks like I'm just going to wait until Google announces the N5 (2015) and hope that it comes in under $400...

Rumors are that they are going to announce an LG N5 and another brand's new N6 at the same time. That'd drop the price of the current N6 and that thing is really pretty...

What'd you expect for a $200 phone? :haw:

Seriously though, I was actually giving it serious thought, the specs looked good and the price was great. But like you, I'm probably going to wait for the new N5 or for the price of the current N6 to drop a bit. My current N5 is limping along, but just barely - even with the new battery, battery life isn't great (I think I may go back to KitKat, it's that bad, but the new battery did make a huge difference), I dinged up the edges pretty good removing the original back panel with my ape hands, and the power button thinks I'm jumping on it like I'm on a trampoline half the time. New back panel really made it look a lot better, though it has the international model # printed on it. I may eventually solder in a new power switch, or at least remove the back cover, disconnect the battery, and blast the power button with some electronics cleaner.

Brigdh posted:

Knowing who it is, I'm curious to know if they'll actually deliver a product that fits into the Nexus name.

Samsung, HTC, and Motorola have also made Nexus devices.

HTC made the original Nexus, Samsung made the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus, LG made the N4, N5, and Motorola made the (current) N6.

But yeah, I'm a bit nervous about Huawei being involved myself.

MrChips posted:

Haha it looks like Martin Roofer came back today and left me a bunch of Bible quotes in my mailbox.

E: Now that I have his business address, I think I need to leave him a sign of the one true God, V8! Witness my deed brothers!

Or, you know, you could report him to the USPS for tampering with your mail. :v:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Mad Max Fury Road has hit iTunes and Amazon.

2 weeks till the blue ray release....

I really need to get a Bluray drive for my PC. Preferably a Bluray RW, I think they've come down pretty far in price haven't they?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 14, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mom left her Plantronics bluetooth headset in a pair of pants when she washed them a few weeks ago. We both figured it was dead.

She tried plugging it into a charger tonight. Charge LED lit up. She told me, so I let it charge for about 15 minutes, and turned it on. Paried perfectly, all the buttons work, and sound quality is still decent. I'm pretty surprised to be honest; I've washed earbuds and they sound like total poo poo afterwards. Pretty sure it was turned on when it went into the washer.

I've washed a phone on accident (an ancient Motorola RAZR v3m) - it never fully recovered, in that the keypad never lit up again and any camera shots were blurry as hell, but after a few days of drying out it started working again. It would still turn on when I remembered "gently caress, THE PHONE WAS IN THOSE PANTS!" a few minutes after the washer started agitating, but was giving multiple RAM/ROM/CPU errors.

Rhyno posted:

I put off buying a new phone for a whole fuckin year, still rocking my launch Nexus 4. Hopefully the new N5 is good and not huge because huge phones are sucky.

Honestly, I thought the N5 would be too big, but even with a double layer case on it (Spigen Slim Armor), it's not bad. It's a HUGE upgrade over the N4 (particularly since it adds LTE). Yeah, I know the N4 has the LTE radio, but it's disabled by default by the radio firmware, and doesn't have the proper antennas for it. The N5's bulk is only noticed if I'm wearing slim or skinny jeans.

mariooncrack posted:

If you went down a steep enough hill in my '07 Altima, the transmission starts revving high and essentially engine braking. It scared the hell out of me the first time it happened since I didn't know what engine braking was at the time.

Hondas have had "grade logic" since at least the late 80s - they would downshift on their own by at least 1 gear if you went down a hill long enough. Neat poo poo. They also unlock the torque converter (and possibly downshift a gear? I know RPMs would jump up a bit in my Integra if I tapped the brake pedal) when you sneeze on the brake pedal.

Mom's Toyota Avalon also makes the tach shoot up a bit if you touch the brake pedal (I assume a combination of unlocking the torque converter and downshifting into 3rd), though you don't feel it downshifting through every gear like you do with a Honda transmission.

Brigdh posted:

Thanks for the chuckle. I'm well aware of the current Nexus manufacturers. I forgot the Huawei connection is now public.

It's been relatively common knowledge for nearly a month, though "officially" it's only been known for a few days.

I've had one Huawei phone - it was cheap and reliable, never had a problem with it, but it was an ancient flip feature phone that I had in the early 00s. I don't exactly see them as a high end manufacturer.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 14, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Just looked at my medical insurance claim info.

First visit to my new doctor: billed at $480. :cripes:

Second visit - which was literally 5 minutes with her discussing blood test results? Billed at $500. They added "lab supplies". I was in the building less than 15 minutes, and there were no "lab supplies". She walked in, spent less than 5 minutes with me discussing my blood work, then said "see you in two months" and handed me a piece of paper. At the bottom, for insurance, was "OBAMA" written in huge letters. At the office window, they had a 8x14 paper printed stating "WE DO NOT ACCEPT OBAMACARE EXCEPT FOR BLUE CROSS" (I have BCBS), and the office staff lectured me on "OBAMACARE" versus private insurance.

My therapist asked me if I'd consider switching doctors, namely to one that would write scripts for Naltrexone (an anti-abuse med for opiates and alcohol) and benzos. After seeing that, gently caress yes. My current doctor has already stated she refuses to write a script for Naltrexone or benzos, and won't write a referral for them. I'm not a fan of benzos outside of the occasional recreational Xanax, but my therapist also doesn't want to see me off of them yet.

Time to find another new doctor. Again.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I swear to god half the people around me were suicidal today. Had a kid ride a bicycle out in the middle of a busy road and had to slam on the brakes. Then had a car pull out in front of me on a 2 lane road (no shoulder) with a 55 mph speed limit. I had to dodge into the turning lane (thank gently caress there was one there, otherwise it would have been hitting a ditch at about 50 or hitting someone head on).

You see two cars in front of me in it, once they turn I gun it trying to get up to the speed limit (we were busy as gently caress today, so every second counted).

loving idiot.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

jamal posted:

Well, you did come out from behind a turning suv with it floored. And you saw the guy start coming out, and kept accelerating. If you had gone into a ditch or plowed into the guy or a car in the turn lane I don't think you'd get much sympathy based on the video.

Hardly floored (it was about half throttle, but I did downshift into 2nd once the SUV turned, so I could get up to the speed limit quicker - the gearing on this car is stupid tall, 2nd will get me to over 60), but yeah, from behind a turning SUV. Still, during the day I usually drive with my foglights on (blinding HIDz that I pretty much only use as daytime running lights, since I drive a silver car on predominantly cement roads... or on very dark roads with no other traffic) for that very reason - they're so bright that you can't NOT see them, and as soon as I saw them inching out I started flashing my high beams (which will also cause the HID fogs to flash off and on). They also had a clear line of sight of me as the SUV in front of me entered the turning lane, and the driver made eye contact with me before pulling out. I turn off the fogs if I'm stuck at a light for a bit to be considerate of other drivers.

Either way, 55 mph road, they inch out doing maybe 10-15 at most, with a large line of cars coming at them on their side of the road. There were several cars behind me (at least 7-8 - that's a very long protected left turn light), and several near misses from everyone hitting their brakes - one did wind up in the ditch (right side up thankfully). As far as I know, I was the only one who opted to use the turn lane, since I knew there was no way I could have stopped. I'll own up to the fact that I should have let off the throttle and gone for the brakes when I saw them starting to inch out, but I was already flicking the high beam switch constantly when I saw them start to inch forward, and hoped they'd see me (I figured "nobody can be THAT stupid, right?" :doh). Even at the speed I was going when I saw them inching out, it would have been a very close call if I had threshold braked and not swerved (lovely cheap brake pads, lovely cheap tires, asphalt road - not a good combo).

I hosed up just as much as they did, but gently caress, who the gently caress pulls out into a 55 mph rural 2 lane road like that, especially when there's a line of cars coming at you, one of which is already flashing their lights at you just as you start to inch forward?

Enourmo posted:

Boy it's nice when my mom rushes out in a panic attack thinking that I'm committing suicide the slow way because I'm unemployed and don't sleep at the correct time and not living on a loving kale only diet

[Telling me she thinks I'm killing myself with my sleep schedule is a great way to relax and help me get to sleep hth]

And now I'm obliged to go back to counseling and stay in contact with hey every single day once I move out... for HER mental well being

What the gently caress is going on in my life

I see your mother has been taking notes from my mother. Co-dependence. Gotta love it.

Apparently, because I rearranged my room and found a beer bottle cap under the bed, and left it on my desk while moving the bed, that means I'm chugging a 12 pack a day. I'll admit I've slipped up twice with the sobriety, but it's been a 6 pack both times, not the usual equivalent to an 18-30 pack. I'm out of Naltrexone, and my doctor just got kicked out of my insurance network for fraud, so I'm trying to find yet another new doctor (and being HMO, that means any changes won't take effect until the 1st). Not much of an excuse, but the Naltrexone really does help with the cravings.

I also managed to rediscover that bed frames get hungry occasionally. Linked for very minor gore. Oddly, it really didn't hurt much at any point beyond a dull ache, but it bled like a motherfucker for a good 10 minutes... then while typing about 2 hours later, I noticed some keys were sticky - turns out my finger was leaking pretty good, so I wound up ripping off the bandages and wrapping it in gauze and tape. Pulled a small chunk of skin out of the bed frame, fucker was pretty hungry judging by the chunk it took.

14 INCH SLIT posted:

That was when I won a $3000 grant for college free and clear and looked into it and discovered that I was allowed to use it to buy tools for the auto tech program, so I pulled it all out in cash, took that photo, and gave it all to the tool truck.

The rest is history.

I had a full loving ride for my junior year at UNT, between the Pell grant and UNT grants (between GPA and income) - even enough left over to pay for the cheaper dorms (same ones I was already living in), wouldn't have needed any loans, since I was working part time and could have paid for books easily. But since I had attempted too many hours, they said "welp" and yanked it out from under me after I'd signed up for classes (oh and if you don't show up for the first day, or even ever, they don't automatically drop you; you have to go up there in person and drop out, they don't let you do it by fax or email - otherwise you get sent to collections, YAY!), and I can never attend any for-credit school in the US again without running into the same poo poo after 1 semester. I hosed around and dropped out of a lot of classes in the late 1990s thanks to :catdrugs:, and apparently the laws that were passed in the mid 00s don't let anyone get grandfathered, even though I paid for all of those classes out of pocket (I finished my sophomore year at UNT with all financial aid - first time I ever used financial aid - then they did an audit at the end of the term and said "lol nope").

It was nearly $6000 in grants. I'm still pissed about that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SH/SC scares me, so does IYG. Well, sometimes.

I've rearranged my room. Which means the TV needs to go on another wall (along with the speakers, but those are the easy part). The a/v receiver will remain where it is now.

Anyone have experience with the HDMI <-> ethernet <-> HDMI kits? I know most require CAT6, just wondering if anyone's tried them with CAT5E before.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

astrollinthepork posted:

Why not just use cat6?

Because I have a ton of CAT5E already.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Super Aggro Crag posted:

You're still not done wiring up your house STR?

I am for the most part, I just have a ton leftover. I never did run a drop to the living room (it would have been for the Roku, but it works a lot better now that I have a newer router), and wound up only running one drop to the study. The keystone plates have 3 holes on most of them, so I can always add more later.

ilkhan posted:

Ah. So its not that you already have 5e wired.
You're just STR.

Got it.

Nah, there's several hundred feet of CAT5E in the walls/ceiling too, though every drop except 1 is in use. I didn't see the point in spending the extra money on CAT6 when gigabit is plenty fast. I just bought way too much of the poo poo, and I'd prefer to use it if I could.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 15, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

literally a fish posted:

They claim to require CAT6, but if you use the IP-based ones as opposed to the balun-type ones, 100mbps ethernet is plenty (they use around 60-80mbps at 1080p30) - and they'll happily run gigabit over CAT5e just fine.

In my experience, the balun-types will work just fine over 5e as well, just with a reduced maximum length (~50m instead of hundreds) - I'm a big fan of the IP types though as you can hook up multiple receivers to the one transmitter, and have multiple transmitters on one network (though multiple transmitters can get a little iffy to set up)

50 meters would be plenty. It would basically be a short length of cable to a wall jack (or two on some of the models I've seen), cat5e run up the inside of the wall (~10 ft), run across the ceiling (~13 ft), then halfway down the other wall, going to a recessed outlet + low voltage box behind the TV. I'd use different color cat5 keystones to differentiate between ethernet and TV.

Monoprice's $20 kit sounds like it might even work, it claims to handle 1080p over CAT5E, just at a reduced maximum length compared to CAT6.

I have a double gang keystone plate that can handle up to 12 keystones - if I used it for this, I'd put in 2 ethernet jacks, and use the rest for sound (5.1 receiver, the sub stays near it, so I could run the other 5 speakers on the same wall plate and wall mount them).

88h88 posted:

Also cat5 HDMI senders? Yeah they're great if you're sending a signal 50 metres, kinda pointless and expensive if you're not. 20m HDMI cables are relatively cheap and are all good for 1080p. The cheapest HDMI senders are going to be more expensive than a reasonable HDMI and probably poorly made. If I can run a straight HDMI then I will.

Most HDMI cables aren't rated for in-wall use. So if there's a fire somewhere down the line, insurance takes one look at that and goes "why the gently caress is this in the wall?", even though there's roughly a 0.00001% chance it was related to the fire.

Besides, I just priced the cheapest of HDMI cables (Monoprice) - one of sufficient length is well over $50.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

literally a fish posted:

Yeah, the monoprice kit ought to work for you if it's anything like the cheap $20 kits i've tested. It worked fine over a run of appx 20m, no issues, and that sounds like that's all you're really working with anyway.

I probably wouldn't run HDMI over more than 5M (10 tops) without an amplifier of some kind, too, so the UTP converters are pretty great (and usually cheaper than an amp). I use some cheap eBay IP based ones on their own VLANs (free fancy-pants switch! woo!) & a hdmi matrix switch to feed my gear downstairs to a TV upstairs, works pretty well.

I actually have an 8 meter HDMI cable somewhere that I used to use. Worked fine, though my TV is on the older/cheaper side and only does 720p (or 1080i).

20m is quite a bit more than what I'll be working with, unless I go the IP-based route (even then I think it'd only add about 3 meters - all the network gear is in the closet next to my desk). My switch is 16 port, but unmanaged (router has another 3 ports open on it, but also unmanaged), so I wouldn't be able to do a VLAN. I do have a spare switch, if they're capable of being manually configured instead of requiring DHCP.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 16, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So I always thought Jet's was withholding way too much from my checks. I made $4100 there this year before I quit (including reported tips), and they withheld $650 in federal taxes.

Just used the IRS W4 calculator with my last paystub from there and my current paystub - if my income is what I expect it'll be this year, I have a $1300 refund coming if I don't change my withholding. :stare: If I do change it, I still have over $600 coming back, since Jet's withheld an entire year's worth of taxes in 4 months. And that's before deducting for vehicle expenses (not sure if that'll put me above the standard deduction), education expenses (I can get a tax credit for going to school), deductions for paying interest on my student loans, etc.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

corn in the fridge posted:

why are so many ppl itt angry or depressed??

I'm annoyed that I overslept so bad. But I have issues sleeping, so I usually take benadryl (well, generic diphenhydramine). Couldn't find it last night, so I took librium instead.

.... slept a good 14 hours, I guess I needed it. Wanted to be up about 6 hours ago though. :smith: I did wake up at one point to my cat kneading my chin :3: so it wasn't all bad. Still drowsy as hell though.

CharlesM posted:

Is your network cable rated for wall use?

Yes.

kastein posted:

I can't decide if I want to pay off my last student loan by Christmas (leaving only some property taxes) or actually have a heated, insulated house this winter.

With as brutal as your winters are, I'd go for heated and insulated.

Pham Nuwen posted:

The Mazda pickup made a big fucken noise on the freeway today, goddamn--you don't hear a lot of backfires these days. Scared the poo poo out of my wife, who from now on will never again trust this pickup.

My old F-150 had a hidden switch under the dash that killed power to the ignition system. It was fun to hit it with my foot on the highway, leave it off a few seconds, then turn it back on. KAFUCKINGBOOM! Made a lot of friends (and people in cars around me) jump.

... gave up on the idea of mufflers and switched to glasspacks after a few times though.

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I thoroughly recommend psych drugs (but the right ones! some people need dopamine some people need serotonin, some people need combinations, some people need others!).

Today I need to wash clothes and car, but probably will only wash clothes because :effort:

I've been on Celexa for a bit over a year. Made a big difference in my moods and anxiety.

.... it's also killed off most of my sex drive. :smith: But I'm not in a relationship at the moment, so that's not that big of a deal.

Car and clothes also need washing. It'll probably be the car that gets the attention, it's only supposed to be 96 today :neckbeard: and the interior floorboards are packed full of empty water bottles and pizza tickets. Car itself has a bunch of tree sap on it. :argh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So my stepdad is always eating anything I leave in the fridge, even if I leave my name on it. I often take my lunch to work, so that fucks me over when he eats my lunch overnight.

(I do have a fridge in my room, but sometimes I make a big batch of something that won't fit, and I can't put anything hot in it without causing it to warm up inside and run nonstop all night - it's my old dorm fridge and doesn't have a fan in it to circulate air)

I keep telling him I'm going to booby trap something with habaneos. Well, I just picked up The Creeper from Torchy's Tacos. The menu board at the restaurant said it was "1,000,000 Scoville". I figured I'd go ahead and cut 1/3 off and try it myself, to see what I'd be subjecting him to (also it's pickled onions, not pickles and onions).

My god it's loving DELISH, but not nearly as hot as they claim. :smith: My lips went numb for a couple of minutes, but that was the worst of it. They still kind of tingle now (it's been about 10 minutes), but I've also put diced habaneos on pizza before, so my tolerance for spicy food might be a little skewed.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 17, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Astonishing Wang posted:

STR is your step dad gonna beat you up if you spike his leftovers? Or is it a different kind of step dad?

MY leftovers. :colbert: If I cooked it, either as lunch to take to work the next day, or something to eat later, AND I've put my name on it, you shouldn't be eating it. Besides, he knows drat well there's a good chance the food will have a bit of a kick to it; I like spicy food in general, and I've warned him before that if he keeps eating my food, I'm going to spike something with habaneros.

I walked into the kitchen and saw him looking at the taco. Told him I couldn't finish it and he was welcome to it, said it was really tasty and that it had chorizo, bacon, and fried chicken (all true, aside from not being able to finish it - I'm seriously thinking I might go get one tomorrow for lunch though, it was good).. and as he started chewing "and some habaneros, jalapenos, and a ghost pepper sauce", which made all the color drain from his face. Which was replaced pretty quickly by purple and sweat.

He actually did like it, and ate all but one bite, but he also drank about half a gallon of milk trying to get rid of the burn, and was dripping sweat. I didn't think it was much beyond "a little spicy" (seriously, it wasn't very hot to me). :v: When I told him that, he laughed and said "yeah, you eat spicy poo poo all the time, I don't!".

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 17, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Welp, by the time I finish this post, I'll be very close to being Looks like I turned 37 about 22 minutes ago. Technically I was born around 3:15pm (Mountain), but hey, your birthday technically starts at midnight anyway, even if you're not living in the same time zone anymore, right?

Happy birthday to me, I guess. :tootzzz:

37, and still stuck slinging pizza. At least the store I'm at knows how to schedule, and I make drat good money most days. $85 today, on a 5 hour shift, on a Monday open shift.. (honestly we could have used another driver for about an hour, but I snuck a couple of triples in)

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What's going on in the world does blow. But at the same time, you can't fix every thing. Hell even the Republican party would call Jesus a liberal because he gave out bread. (and they love Jesus).... Long story short, the world is a very hypocritical place at times, but its learning how to manage it all.

I'm in debt, gently caress it, I'll work on paying it off. I'm kinda fat, gently caress it, I can exercise more. My cars aren't very fast, oh well, I'll work on making them faster.

Worry about your slice of the world. Once you have that slice fixed, then worry about the rest. If you can't, leave it to people that can.

I'm making pretty good headway in my debt, and finally making payments on my IRS debt. My views are much the same - I worry about myself first, but I also find that helping others can be very therapeutic as well. Even just a simple gesture such as, say, when i'm in line at the grocery store, I'll let someone with a couple of items go in front of me. Or stopping and helping someone change a flat tire.

Also making good headway on blood pressure, weight, and well, my car is an underpowered econobox, but it's still fast enough to get me a speeding ticket. It'd be fun to have something faster, newer, something that handled better, etc, but I have a reliable car that gets me where I need to go, and with the manual transmission, it's still a little fun to drive.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

And for god's sake, stop using Facebook if you are depressed. Not only people post their best moments in life on there because hey - look at me be jealous - but it also gives you insight on how stupid people are.

I don't even bother looking at my news feed. The only thing I use Facebook for most of the time is instant messaging.

Hmmm this seems to me like a very destructive attitude and i have disagree completely

Honestly, I agree with everything he said. The only way to really deal with it is to accept it for what it is, and know there's not a whole lot you can do about it.

People have different ways of dealing with it, as no two people view the world in exactly the same way. I choose to accept what I cannot change, and not let it get to me - and if I can change something for the better, I make an effort to do so.*

*Refers a bit to The Serenity Prayer, commonly used at AA/NA/12 step meetings. I'm not the religious type, but I believe in the message behind it.

14 INCH SLIT posted:

I'd put that around 2006-7 or so, just after the 2002, during the E30 era, and from memory mere months before the tale of Lowered Expectations. Possibly as late as 2008/9, I'd have to check dates on photos to be sure.

You were pretty cute back then. :wmwink:

BloodBag posted:

Oh gently caress yes! My plumber checked my house and the neighbor's and found her AC condensate line is plugged and leaking into both our places. Once she gets that poo poo fixed I'll let my insurance company know and they'll pursue hers. :toot:

How the hell does her a/c drain being clogged flood your place?

Are you in a condo / duplex / quadplex / whatever situation where you share a wall? Or is your place so close that it's pouring out of the a/c overflow drain from her house and soaking in under the walls of your place?

Beats what I went through at one apartment - the a/c tray rusted through, causing it to dump water into the ceiling, and I'd been complaining to apartment management for over 3 months before half of the bathroom ceiling collapsed while I was in the shower (they'd kept telling me they had a "3 month backlog" on ordering new drainpans, since they had to be replaced in every apartment). I finally called the city, they went to the apartment management and threatened to condemn the entire building unless it got fixed ASAP. They managed to find a new drainpan within an hour of code enforcement showing up, and I had a new (very badly done) ceiling in my bathroom a few hours after that. There was a shitload of mold up there from months of water dripping, and in that apartment (much like a lot of apartments), the "return air duct" was the ceiling, with a vent hacked into a wall above a door to hold an air filter.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You seriously need to get more cynical because bluntly put, what I described is exactly how the world works. You are a nothing, we all are nothings, the world does not give a poo poo about you or problems, evil fat fucks think of new and exciting ways for the young men to die, Huxley's Brave New World AND Orwell's 1984 have come true, politicans and corporations rule your life like the Kings and slavemasters of old... and you can do absolutly nothing about it.

That is the bitter, cruel and harsh truth of the world Mankind has created.

Now if you want my "Yours and Yours alone" opinion, I view that there are escapes that seem obvious but you dont realize how difficult they are until you try them. Mine is "Don't be an rear end in a top hat". The world severely tries my patience and temper even on the best of days to say the least.

I wouldn't quite go quite as far as you have, but I do (mostly) agree. The only way I can remain at peace with myself (and others) is to know there's not much I can do that would affect anything, except cast a vote whenever it's voting time. And at the federal level in the US, the "popular vote" (people's vote) doesn't necessarily count; the second Bush lost the popular vote, but still wound up in office. The people's vote does count at state/county/city/district levels, at least for now.

One way to put it into perspective - will people remember what I did in 100 years? No. Will people outside of my family even know my name in 100 years? I'd be surprised if more than a few people in my family remembered me.

I often introduce myself as "Hi, I'm Sean, and I'm an rear end in a top hat". I honestly quite the opposite with friends and even most people I've known more than an hour, I'd give them the shirt off of my back. But if someone is a jackass, I've already admitted I'm going to be an rear end in a top hat. And honestly, unless you know my weird sense of humor, I do come across as a bit of an rear end in a top hat.

Tusen Takk posted:

Related: I cannot stop pooping today

Thanks to my stomach, I generally poop more than I pee.

I really should go get an endoscopy; it'd be nice to have a solid once or twice a day poop, instead of half liquid/half solid 6+ times a day that destroys every toilet I run into. Or at least know the reason behind it. But I switched doctors a month ago... and I'm switching again after I caught my new one doing insurance fraud, they're billing for stuff they never did. My therapist is helping me find a new PCP that (a) accepts my insurance (being an HMO, I'm pretty limited) and (b) will prescribe the medications I need, since their staff doctor doesn't accept my insurance (the IOP facility as a whole does, I happen to have the only insurance that the facility accepts that their staff psych doesn't accept).

I see someone lost his berries recently.

mungtor posted:

Then get a standing desk. It's like you people don't even try. "We tried nothing and we're all out of ideas"

I would love to try a standing desk to be honest. I'm tempted to grab some cinder blocks and toss my desk* (a cheap plastic folding table) on them. My chair is literally falling apart anyway, it's a nearly 10 year old Ikea chair that's missing the armrests, with shredded leather. I could possibly raise the desk enough that the adjustable height on the chair could make up for it if I get tired of standing.

I prefer to either stand, or sit with my legs crossed in my lap ("Indian Style" as they called it when I was a kid, I'm sure that's not PC anymore). I dislike sitting in general, I'd rather be on my feet, or sitting with my legs crossed as mentioned above - barring that, give me a couch to lay down on. Sitting "normal" like most people sit in a chair just feels unnatural and uncomfortable to me.

1500quidporsche posted:

I work a desk job and its absolutely loving soul sucking. 90% of my day is spent staring at emails asking myself how people can be this stupid while wondering if I anybody will actually notice if I go for another smoke break.

At my last desk job, I usually stood and walked in a small circle while on calls, once I had looked up account info, as long as I didn't need to do a remote desktop session. I got yelled at by HR several times for that, but it was much more comfortable for me to just stand up and walk around a little bit while talking to the customer, as long as I kept the headset wire clipped to my shirt and didn't wander off far enough to pull the phone off my desk (I could get about 2 cubes away, and the two neighboring ones were empty). Plus it gave me at least a LITTLE exercise.

Tusen Takk posted:

Sitting at a desk owns because one screen is for work and the other screen is for hearthstone

You can easily put 4+ monitors on a standing desk.

QuarkMartial posted:

No other way to live. I wake up Friday morning between 6 and 7 am with a nice chunk of direct deposited change in the bank. By 730 am I'm back to being poor again.

My employer is torn between direct deposit and "pay cards" (they actually polled each employee in the franchise). I bitched about the fees that usually go along with pay debit cards, but apparently the owner of the franchise, if he goes that route, will go with cards that have little to no fees for the employees.

I would much rather have direct deposit for obvious reasons. I think pay debit cards are a huge scam, and I'm pretty sure they'll cost the owner a hell of a lot more than direct deposit (and employees, since the only way you can truly get every single penny out is to know exactly what your balance is and charge that amount - it also makes it drat near impossible to move anything into a savings account). Any idiot can get either a checking account, or something close enough to one to where you can take a picture of a paycheck and deposit it to your prepaid card of choice (Serve, etc) or take it to Walmart if you have one of their prepaid cards.

Currently they print their own paychecks using a laser printer, so their only real cost (outside of labor to load the checks into the printer, the toner, then sort them by store) is the blank checks, and a courier to get them to each store in the area (8 of them locally, about 300 across the state). Direct deposit or pay debit cards will remove the courier fees (they'll be doing what Papa John's did, and doing away entirely with paper checks - either pay card or direct deposit, no other option) and reduce the costs down to just a processing fee for the deposits.

Rhyno posted:

I can't afford anti-depressants as the "Affordable" Health care people terminated my coverage due to what they called fraudulent pay stubs. You know what I can afford? Rum.

:smithicide:

I just got my subsidy increased back to roughly where it was last year, just by scanning a couple of recent paystubs. Even if I do wind up underestimating, my former employer withheld WAY too much, so I have over a $600 refund coming from 4 months of working for them alone, according to the IRS W4 calculator.

Now to find a doctor that isn't trying to scam the system, and one that actually accepts HMOs... :sigh:

Dannywilson posted:

Welcome to aircraft maintenance. Especially avionics. I've known quite a few guys with the 2-o'clock-palsy who are living gods at what they do, where they can hear the symptoms of an obscure problem, and tell you what's wrong before you even walk out the door to troubleshoot it; because they troubleshot the same problem in 1990, dredged it up out of hindbrain, and they just wanted the problem to go away and go back to browsing craigslist.

Guy who sat next to me when I was in school (currently on an extended leave of absence for rehab) works in aircraft - construction, actually. But he could name so much poo poo that sounded incredibly complex, and name something simple to fix it. He was both in assembly and QC, IIRC.

No idea why he wanted to go from that to I.T., he would be taking a decent paycut for at least a few years.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 18, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Got a stack of "explanation of benefits" from my insurance company - I told the office manager at my IOP place that I knew I was beyond my out of pocket, so go ahead and start billing.

Looks like each IOP session is billed at $120. My portion? Zero. :smug: Not only that, but they're getting their full billed amount; that amount, IMO, is on average for an IOP.

a good nights sleep starts with a good mattress that's why i sleep on a mammoth

https://mammothmattress.co.uk

I need a new mattress... bad. Mine is... was... a really nice pillow top mattress (Sterns & Foster, I get sick thinking what I paid for it). But it's basically turned into the grand canyon. The middle sits several inches lower than the rest of the bed, and actually getting out of it takes a lot of work. :sigh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I just switched doctors (again) because I found out my current doctor (who I've seen twice) is billing over $450 per visit, and also billing for blood draws (another $20) for every visit. Their negotiated rate after the insurance discount is still stupidly high ($170 to talk to me for 5 minutes), and getting them to do refills is a pain in the dick. Found another internist 4 cities away (though that's still less than 7 miles) that takes my insurance, has high scores on zocdoc and healthgrades, and she has a small practice (she's the only doctor). I'll be due for blood work in about a month, which gives my insurance enough time to switch my PCP. The main reason is because they're billing for poo poo that they're not doing.

BCBS initially blew off my initial complaint about my current doctor charging for a blood draw they didn't do (their negotiated rate is $3), but after bitching some more, someone else got involved. I'm under the impression that this doctor won't be taking BCBS plans of any type much longer. BCBS also acknowledged I shouldn't have had to pay a copay, so that'll be fun to deal with. Unfortunately I paid cash both times, and they refused to give a receipt, so I'll probably have to ask BCBS about a refund. The practice is already aware of my complaint to BCBS, so I doubt they'd be very happy to see me.

One topic that came up in my IOP (intensive outpatient) group session tonight was communicating with family members. The therapist leading the group said "you should always keep your relationships open, very open, as open as possible". I immediately have to cover my mouth and turn bright purple trying not to crack up, a few seconds later she looks over at me and realizes how I interpreted it, and starts blushing and laughing herself. "I DIDN'T MEAN IT THAT WAY SEAN! I don't judge if some people are into that, but that's not my thing". She was obviously talking about open lines of communication, but my gutter-ridden mind immediately went to the other kind of open relationships. She recovered quickly, at least.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

This girl at work is refusing to pull fiber cable because she doesn't have long sleeves on. I don't think she gets how it works...

But but but everybody knows fiber optic cable is just like fiberglass! :downsgun:

I'm kinda wishing I hadn't been a cheapskate; wish I had gone with pure copper CAT6 instead of CCA CAT5E. Still would get the same speeds with the equipment I have now (hell two computers in the house can't even handle speedtest.net with the speed package we have with our ISP, and just fall over and curl up in the corner and cry if you try to move a file from a PC with a SSD to one of those two PCs), but that would leave me some headroom for 10Gbit if I'm still stuck here once it's common.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Having no illusions is actually very liberating. It also allows me to know that I a) have lived longer than 80% of every human that has lived and am expected to live nearly twice that again and b) extremely fortunate I live in a place where I can cycle in peace c) even if I now know I am going to have very painful knees for the rest of my life (and some days are VERY unplesant, not looking forward to how poo poo they will be in 20 years time), I'm fine with that given how comparably good I have it otherwise. So no, it's not hell to think the way I do.

Plus the great thing about the dodgy knees is that I am officially under doctor / physio orders to ride bikes.

Or maybe soon even have a good excuse to blaze if weed's pain relief is true. Is it worth looking at MMJ to help with arthritic knees?

Knee replacements today are miles ahead of in the past, but you're still incapacitated for at least a month. Mom originally thought she needed knee replacements, but xrays showed her hips were sidefucked to the point that the pain was radiating to her knees. Hip replacement surgery is 1-2 days in the hospital, and a couple of months of being careful. She gets around like she's 40 instead of nearly 70 now.

And yes, MMJ will help with arthritis pain.

I really want to get into cycling. I used to use a bike for commuting several times a day (especially when I lived on a university campus), but my genes gave me pretty drat good joints. I think I may have arthritis in my fingers/hands, they've never felt right since I worked at UPS loading trucks for several months (there were days where I couldn't even bend my fingers, and I still have days where I can barely bend them), but it's a minor enough annoyance that I haven't asked a doctor about it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Serioustalk : I'm really am looking into it. There's a bunch of stuff I've been reading that points to MMJ being not only pain relief but anti inflammatory with very little real side effects. At the moment I have fish oil suppliments and ibuprofen in low doses. I've never smoked / eaten so I'm just exploring what it's really like and what it really does - more to the point if it actually works.

It does work - I know several people who smoke it for various health reasons (both in person and online friends), including my boss. He's been taking massive doses of hydrocodone for months for his back, then finally got his wife to "let" him smoke weed again. He's down to taking the hydrocodone a couple of times a week, instead of 5+ times a day. Because of this, he's also dealing with opiate withdrawal, but the weed helps (a lot) with that too.

Granted, he smokes way more than he needs to and winds up stoned as poo poo, but he's one of those people who can function really well even while stoned. I used to be one of those people - these days I really don't even smoke recreationally, I'll take a few puffs from my vaporizer if my stomach is upset or something is hurting a bit more than an ibuprofin can handle (such as a toothache). If I take more than a few puffs, I'm sitting in a chair staring at the walls and admiring the (non-existent) patterns in the paint. I smoke maybe once or twice a month now.

What's weird is the pain is still there, at least for me, but only if you think about it. I think it's more a case of the MJ just distracting you from it. It absolutely murders nausea though, far better than prescription nausea meds. It also does a number on your appetite (in a bad way, unless you're anorexic) if you smoke enough to get stoned (i.e. more than the bare minimum for the pain), but since it takes a few minutes to really get any result from even a massive bongrip, it's really easy to overshoot where you want to be.

It's basically the cure-all snake oil that all the snake oil salesmen back in the 1800s/early 1900s wished they could sell at the time (also wish they had the tech to extract the THC from the plant, more than likely), except it really does help with a lot of medical issues. I have a blind customer (glaucoma) who regularly smells like weed, for example. He still can't see anything beyond light and colors, but it gets rid of the pain and nausea.

If you smoke all day erry day, you'll wind up with short term memory issues, but a puff here and there will probably help you out a lot.

Lightbulb Out posted:

2015 is fine. Record low cash, but 3rd e30 and 3rd cat.

I think it's a little more complicated than this re: sadness / depression, but sometimes you do have to start somewhere.

My cash is very low (less than :10bux: in the bank at the moment), but my cash flow is at nearly record levels. Problem is I'm paying off medical bills, Verizon (still owe them a bit less than $200, even though I no longer have service with them), IRS, and making payments on student loans (even though they're deferred), plus health insurance, car insurance, and my car payment. At least I maxed out my out of pocket for my medical insurance, but so few people take my particular insurance plan that switching doctors is an utter bitch.

Enourmo posted:

also I had to walk clear across campus 3 times visiting various far flung offices. in 95 degree 80%humidity w full direct sun beating down on my pasty Irish skin (I get all the sun vulnerability without the neat red hair or green eyes).

Assuming this will be an ongoing thing, buy the cheapest bicycle at Walmart, leave it chained up on campus, use it to get between classes (especially if they don't have campus shuttles or the shuttles are infrequent). That's what I did when I was at UNT. I don't know how big your campus is, but it saved me a ton of time, and got me in shape too. Especially when I missed a shuttle bus; when I did take a bus, I'd take the bike with me (they all had bike racks on the front) and chain it up at whatever building my class was in. I had 10 minutes to get between some classes, and many of them were 10 minutes apart by bicycle (and 20+ apart by foot... and bus).

Darchangel posted:

Yep, and yes.
Worst part to me is that he was a genuinely nice guy, and basically pulled himself up by his bootstraps. He's been looking out for his grandmom solo, attended and graduated college (paid for it himself, no debt), started his small business with the machining stuff, basically an hard worker, not-gonna-let-life-get-him-down sort.
There are so many people who genuinely deserve to die. He was not one of them.

Cancer in particular always seems to get the best ones. :smith:

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

Mr terrrorist: +1 on the weed as pain relief, my shoulder is rooted from a car crash and weed is the only painkiller that works worth a drat for it (can't take nsaid because of my anti-depressants)

Mind if I ask which anti-depressant(s)? I can't think of a modern SSRI that interacts with NSAIDs (of course I might be wrong), but I know a lot of old school MAOIs do. I didn't think those were really prescribed much anymore though.

Thelonious posted:

Today at work we replaced the (700+ lb) heat exchanger of a steam boiler.

Which is bad enough. But the manufacturer wanted the old one back for inspection, so we had to haul it out intact instead breaking the (nine) sections apart and hauling them individually.

Is it a model that's either still being made or very similar to a current model? That's the only reason I can think of for them wanting it back.

... tell me they're covering shipping.

MustardFacial posted:

As much as I love both of those things, the doctor tells me my uric acid and potassium are too high and I'm a oval office hair away from full on diabetes. I'd like to avoid that at all costs.

I do have full on diabetes, but my potassium was at the very bottom of the "normal" scale (cutoff is 3.5, I was at 3.5 on my last round of blood work - likely a bit higher now that I'm not pickling my liver nonstop).

No idea what my uric acid was, it wasn't on the bloodwork.

mafoose posted:

I can't smoke because of my job, and never really did much when I was young, but it was amazing what it did to my back pain. It transformed the stabbing pain to a tingling sensation that you knew was there, but was in no way was it distracting, and I slept so good.

I wish the feds would just legalize it already.

Even if weed is legal, employers can still refuse to hire you if you use it. There's plenty of employers who refuse to hire tobacco users, and cigs/dip/etc are completely legal in the US as long as you're of age. They're looking for the metabolites of nicotine, so even if you're wearing a patch or chewing gum, you'll fail their test.

It's going to take modifying the Americans with Disabilities Act to actually do anything about MMJ being 100% acceptable by employers.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 19, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I considered myself morbidly obese 45 pounds ago - 230, but 5'7 and it was all in the same place, I had to start shopping at big and tall stores to get pants.

I'm in the mid 180s now, and fit into a 32" waist pant (and still need a belt) in most brands. Tight if they've just been washed, but they loosen up pretty quick. I'd like to see 155-160..

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

effexor, apparently its not super common but it happens to me, just my luck i guess

Figures it would be effexor. It's one of the strongest SSRIs (and also pretty old school).

The withdrawal from it is horrific enough that I refuse to even try it. I'm pretty content with Celexa.

freelop posted:

There should be a german word for the smug feeling you get when someone overtakes you like an rear end in a top hat and speeds off only to be made to wait at the next set of traffic lights until you casually arrive behind them.

For the record I was doing the speed limit down a 30mph single lane road when 2 cars that were hanging on to my tail decided to zoom past only to be stuck waiting for me further down the road.

It's better when they find the cop that's hiding just over the hill. Or you convince them to race you without them realizing a cop is behind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Truth. If Verizon was sticking around, I wouldn't be surprised to see gigabit here in the next few years, but they sold all of their wireline services (which includes FiOS) in Texas to Frontier - which means there will never be any form of infrastructure upgrades done, ever.* (former Frontier employee here)

I don't plan on needing 10GbE, it's just be nice to have the wiring in place. I'd just need a new punch down block, new switch, and new patch cables (probably CAT6 certified keystones too). I plan to move every PC's primary stuff to a SSD (backed up to an internal HDD, plus a cheap NAS), and it seems transferring files from my SSD-equipped PC is capable of making two computers in the house just fall over and curl up in the corner bawling. And in theory, that should only come halfway to maxing out the connection to each system; the transfer rate of the SSD in my desktop is roughly 450MB/sec, which works out to a little under half a gigabit per second. Even the ancient Pentium 4 2.8 in the next room has onboard Gigabit, but just running speedtest.net's speed test makes the PC completely unusable for about a minute.

edit: I know there's some home theater nerds in here. Still moving forward with the plan to move the TV to another wall. Really stupid question, but what color keystone jacks would you go with to make it obvious they're not meant for actual ethernet? I was thinking orange or green; everything else that's already wired is blue or white (and I still have a box full of blue and white keystone jacks). I'll be using the typical HDMI <-> ethernet <-> HDMI adapters.

2nd edit: when we got our computer "upgrade" at work, they left self-stick cat5 jacks stuck to the ceiling, which promptly fell off thanks to all the grease - despite there being keystone jacks with unused ports literally next to most of them. Boss is going to pay me to go in on my day off and either wire that poo poo to the existing (or new, since I have at least 15 or so of them here) keystones if I can, or if it's an area without an existing jack, just install a new wall plate with an old work trim ring behind it (since they'd be in the ceiling tiles). The mess is driving both myself and my boss crazy. There's so many jacks labeled "data" in the store that are likely not hooked up to anything; it was built in the early 80s, so they're likely CAT3, if that, and probably not hooked up to anything anymore. I'm going to have to come up with some kind of invoice to bill the company with, no way in hell am I doing this on my normal hourly wage.

We need to figure out what the gently caress the breakers in the store do too. 3 breaker panels, one of which is almost 100% doubles. But the panels are so (physically) hot that I'm honestly afraid to touch any breakers without turning them off from smallest to largest, probably with a very long broom handle; I figure I'd get a nice BBQ arc flash otherwise. Electric meter shows a nearly 180 amp draw, when we have 100 amp service... pretty sure the subpanels bypass the main breaker.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 19, 2015

• Locked thread