Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Crotch Fruit posted:

WTF KB3035583 was re-released as a critical update 10/5. I tried Win 10, I felt it wasn't ready, and my job doesn't want people to run it yet. I already had to reformat my PC to get Windows 10 off and go back to 7 and hide the update. Now thanks to the re-release, this morning when I opened windows update I was only greeted to a "Start upgrading to Windows 10 now!" This is a seriously lovely roll out strategy for business users.

I swear Windows Update has been un-hiding updates I've hidden many times in Windows 7. It's why I don't have automatic update on, and I read the KB articles on anything that isn't a security update (or even those when I feel like it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

slidebite posted:

Jesus christ MS, everyone knows you want to force everyone possible onto WinX, but please quit un-hiding the WinX installer app in KB3035583 update and trying to backdoor it on me for fucks sake.

Yeah, that's really winding me up.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

mike12345 posted:

I'm getting a new SSD next week, but I'm still not sure if I should simply clone my present Win 7 install, or go with a new one. Win 10 looks a bit like a POS to me, is Win 8.1 good? There are cheap keys to buy on Ebay, so maybe go with that, dunno.

Well, Windows 10 is a free upgrade to 7, but you'd have to buy 8. That seems like a weird thing to do at this time.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

mike12345 posted:

Sure it's free if you see no value in the user-data software-as-service accumulates.

To be fair, if you left automatic updates on Windows 7, you'll have already received a telemetry update that gathers information, and the same is in 8.

There's a fair bit of documentation around on the data collection in 10, and some software and guides that can easily help you disable some of it.

If you asked me personally though, I'd say stay on 7, because I did. After all, it's supported until 2020; so it's not like you have to decide yet.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

mike12345 posted:

Oh ok I assumed the telemetry features in 10 are more aggressive.

Oh yeah, I believe they are, no doubt; but I'm just pointing out that Microsoft has already started pushing that poo poo to some extent on people anyway.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Khablam posted:

Is there actually a search replacement that's actually good?
Win 10 search makes me yearn for the days of Google desktop.

I use Agent Ransack. It's pretty decent, but it's not an indexed searching utility for constant use.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

wormil posted:

Boomers have latched onto W10 as the new evil they must warn us about. I'm not interested in trying to convince them but I'd like good information for myself. Trouble is, the internet is full of W10 fear mongering and typically the articles don't support the headlines. Other articles are overboard in their support for MS. So what is the real scoop and what source is trustworthy?

Dunno, my dad thinks it's alright, even though it upgraded to 10 automatically without checking there's no graphics driver. I found a work around in the end, but his machine had been running with the basic graphics driver for months (before I came back to visit).

Oh, and when it upgraded to a newer build of 10, the fast boot feature stopped working. It would stay on a black screen for around 10 minutes every time you booted the machine. Turning off fast boot fixes the issue.

I'd wager there are going to be plenty of older folks out there with similar issues, on hardware that would be better with 7.

It is also more chatty on the internet connection, so if you have a crap connection or a cap, that could be rather annoying.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 30, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Windows 10 may not "raise the bar" significantly in terms of requirements, but there are graphics drivers that need a lot of manual loving around to get working that were fine on 7, and Windows 10 does larger updates in one go which can be pretty painful on an HDD. Pretending that all of the new chatty applications and the large updates make no difference to a tired old machine with a HDD is not really accurate.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 8, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Avenida posted:

Arguing over whether or not Windows 10 is inherently more secure than Windows 7 or 8 is kind of missing the point.

Microsoft isn't force-feeding people Windows 10 because it's more secure.

They're force-feeding people Windows 10 because they're desperate to get as many people as possible off 7 and 8. They're terrified of Windows 7 becoming the next Windows XP, with a support burden lasting far longer than is reasonable because people have the "it just works, so I'm not gonna give it up" mindset.

Nah, I'm certain the main reason is to expose people to their new revenue stream; the Windows store.

vv No, but I'm sure they're hoping it will be

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 17, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I feel like I already know the answer to this but is there a way to upgrade a Windows 7 license to Windows 10 without assigning it to hardware? I have an unused Windows 7 pro key but I am not going to conceivably use it before the deadline

It's been mentioned the answer is no, it ties to hardware; but further to that, I remember reading on here that there is no such thing as a Windows 10 key, only 8.1 with upgrade rights to 10.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Irritated Goat posted:

I do find it weird that out of nowhere, Search decides that "Remote" means Remote Access Management and not Remote Desktop Connection like it has for years. :sigh:

It just needs a "This isn't what I'm looking for" button to learn what you want.

mstsc is one character shorter than "remote" and is just as memorable, in my opinion!

(I actually have no idea if that works on the Windows 10 start menu).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

Somehow it upgraded itself without a compatible device driver which I thought wasn't possible.

This absolutely happens. Seen it myself, seems Microsoft have done no real testing/don't give a single gently caress about effectively crippling machines.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I like that Microsoft managed to gently caress up 10 so badly, that a loving iconic feature of Windows, the start menu, is broken enough to need a dedicated troubleshooter. It's been working fine since Windows 95. The most you ever had to do was restart explorer.exe.

Did they fire all the good developers or what?

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 22, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

xamphear posted:

I think to truly be typical Microsoft Windows 10 fashion, it should go like this:

July 29th: No "It's Over" announcement from Microsoft. Upgrades work.
July 30th: No "It's Continuing" announcement from Microsoft. Upgrades still working.
Month of August: No clear communication from Microsoft. One exec says something non-committal and slightly confusing on Twitter. Upgrades still working.
Sometime in September: Microsoft makes a new page on their site outlining whether or not a device can still qualify for the free upgrade. It's confusing, but no one cares, since upgrades are still working across the board.
Sometime in November: Upgrades stop working. Mass hysteria. Microsoft directs everyone to the page on the site that outlines qualifications, which is still not one bit clearer than it was two months ago.

That's a pretty crystal clear vision of the future. I'd buy into it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

But Windows 10 is great and there are no downsides, right?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

nielsm posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > Windows 10: Still Free for Cripples

Windows 10: Cripples' Consolation

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

HMS Boromir posted:

Same here. What a weird thing to break.

So Tim Sweeney was right!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Well, it's more widespread than that, it was actually a FossHub hack, and at least the Audacity and Classic Shell installers were affected.

Classic Shell's own website and locally hosted installer were not affected.

But yeah, as others have said, this is some nostalgic poo poo.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Inverness posted:

Telemetry isn't a privacy concern. It's not used to collect personal information.

If you realize that then you have no problem leaving it on.

If you think Microsoft is lying and telemetry is an issue then they might as well also be lying about the button to disable it actually doing anything.

People are way too hysterical over this as opposed to appreciating that Microsoft is being upfront about what information they collect. All the hysteria is doing is telling the rest of the industry that they should just keep it all a secret because users are dumb.

The French disagree.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

chippy posted:

I use Launchy, personally. It's super fast, reliable, and supports some really useful extras like doing quick calculations straight in the search bar. It's awesome.

I've been using Launchy for years and years, since XP.
It's absolutely instant compared to using any iteration of the start menu.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Buttcoin purse posted:

Sounds cool, can you change the hot key? I'm used to Alt-F2 in KDE.

Yes, you can

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

You not running an SSD? I wouldn't fault start menu search on its speed (virtually instantaneous, at least for programs), as much as its lack of whatever adaptive filtering Launchy does that more consistently returns your intended result at the top of the list (it instead seems to boost Windows store apps, because reasons).

Yes, been running SSDs for ages. I'm still on 7 myself, but Launchy is just faster than the start menu search, and filters quicker based on the things I've launched before with say, a single letter.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

oversteer posted:

I've been trying to use Search to find documents and it seems .. wrong.

Windows + type search term doesn't bring back a file I know to be indexed, until I click the 'Documents' icon

Why doesn't the default All include the Documents category? :psyduck:

I guess the problem is simply that you tried to use the Windows 10 search. Who knows what Microsoft was thinking.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

Yeah that worked for me two days after the deadline and saved me almost $200. It's an open secret.

So that bit that someone wrote about the deadline not really kicking in and there being availability after the cut-off date was bang-on. I almost thought Microsoft was going to stick to what they said when they actually stopped the Windows 10 ads on 7.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

The Evil Thing posted:

:argh: This bleeding "content update" has made a total mess of my computer. It seems like ALL my folder settings have been deleted. I've spent the last two hours reconfiguring document folders to display the correct columns in file explorer (and display them correctly), but now things are more or less as they were.

Eventually, though, I'll have to move on to my music library. I'm not looking forward to that--there's about 450 folders all told.

Guys, I'm at the end of my patience. Is there a way to configure a whole group of folders at once?

What they look like now:

What I want them to look like:

With the four columns having specific widths.

I've tried googling around, but I mostly get Windows 7 guides and identical guides which either don't work or are for a different problem.

Give up and use a different file manager that isn't subject to the whims of Microsoft, such as the excellent (although admittedly expensive) Directory Opus.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 22, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Well, he must be at least busy reporting on all of Microsoft's Windows 10 gently caress ups these days.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

IAmKale posted:

Ruined weekend plans due to my mom's frozen Windows 7 PC has got me hoppin' mad. How can I idiot proof Windows such that, when the undeniable allure of a Breitbart article claims her pointer finger, I can reasonably guarantee that she won't pick up some piece of bullshit ad/malware that forces me to skip Disney Land for a day of fighting with a 10+ year old PC? Are Chrome + Adblocker my best bet?

At least now I'll be able to force them to upgrade to Windows 8.1 :suicide:. I wanted them both on 10 but they fought me on upgrading their PCs for so long that their all-in-ones (that they somehow ended up consolidating on) are now stuck on Windows 8.1 unless I pay to upgrade them :smith:.

The answer is always a browser with a decent adblocker. It's basically the main vector of infection for most users these days. People aren't using email so much, or downloading pirated software, but they will still click on flashy junk. Hell, even the first results in Google at one point were virus laden ads. That one is particularly nasty, because people trust Google, and want to click on the first relevant result. Windows 7 itself isn't a problem, so that upgrade isn't going to help you. Windows 7 still receives security updates until January 2020.

Also, the free upgrade to Windows 10 still works, according to many in this thread. You just try the drat thing.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Mar 18, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

CFox posted:

In my experience fast startup is garbage and not worth messing with. Basically what it does is that it turns shutdown into a deep sleep option and that's how that next startup is faster. This can lead to a lot of weird issues since a lot of things don't work well with sleep anyways so I always have it turned off. If you want faster startup times invest in an SSD like you mentioned.

It's funny, because it's one of the "features" touted for Windows 10 over 7. Wait, was it in 8, too? Probably, now I come to think of it. Either way, it's not a real feature, it just makes it look like the machine booted fast so OEMs could keep slapping slow-rear end HDDs in their lovely laptops.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

redeyes posted:

I converted my Win 10 Pro to Win 10 Enterprise with an in place upgrade. What really caught me off guard is the system is much faster now. Things that had delays like loading my TV tuner are now instant. I don't know why this would be. Maybe less overhead from telemetry?

That's really rather interesting. I wonder if we could get some repeatable tests showing this..

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

redeyes posted:

The main problem with 7 is it doesn't support SSDs properly with TRIM and such.

Nope, Windows 7 was the first Windows version that absolutely DOES support TRIM.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Yes, because GMail has been around for a very long time

You're making me feel old, because to me, Gmail is a pretty new service. I remember when it was invite-only.
Microsoft has been in the online email business far longer...

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

fartzone_42069 posted:

I got hopefully an easy one. Somehow I moved notepad completely off the screen when i had a note open. And I have no idea how to see notepad now when I open it. :(

When you're sure you're selected on the Notepad window (click it on the taskbar), hold the Windows key and press the left or right arrow a couple of times, depending on whether it might be left of your screen or right of your screen. It'll hop around and snap to the sides of the monitor.

Failing that, the traditional method of bringing back all kinds of errant windows (as long as they're not maximised, you would need to "restore" it first) is to once again, make sure the application has focus; then press Alt+Spacebar, m, any arrow key once, then move the mouse around. The title bar of the window will be locked to the mouse as if you were dragging it. Move it where you want, and just left click to release it.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 22, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

I finally fixed my issue with Windows immediately crashing all my 64 bit programs and it was the stupidest thing.

Well, okay _I_ was the stupidest thing because I went running around looking for complex solutions rather than doing the basic legwork.

Like rebooting in Safe Mode.

So, yep, in Safe Mode everything worked - meaning it was either one of the services or a startup program which was the culprit.

So, many uncheckings and rebootings later and I find the culprit - a little program called Bins.

I shouldn't be surprised, it hasn't really been supported since Win 7, but it's also the one program I don't want to part with.

It does one thing and (used to) do it very well:

I'm going to miss you Bins, you were great while you lasted :(

But the website says it is supported, just not with Metro apps..

That looks really neat, by the way. Never seen it before.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

ok, yeah, my old Win 7 Pro key worked just fine. Thanks all.

Any suggestions for "easily" copying everything over from the old install to the new? I'm having massive issues where it's not even letting me copy/paste files around because apparently I'm not the administrator, old me is the administrator! And I can't tell it otherwise!

You need to take ownership first, before you can then give yourself permission. You could do this on the whole drive if you wanted to, or by folder, process is the same.

Right click on the drive/folder, properties, security tab, advanced, owner, edit, select your new local user, OK out of all the dialogues, then right click again, properties, security, advanced, change permissions, add, select your new local user, select full control, OK, select "replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object", then OK, OK, OK...

Now you are free to do whatever you want on the drive/folders you gave yourself rights to.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 29, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

100 programs loaded at once wtf

Why

I really think people should be allowed to use their computer how they see fit; having your computer (a work tool) gently caress you around when you need to get on with your work is not reasonable, and nobody should be defending that behaviour.

I don't have any of these problems, for the record, so I'm not moaning about it myself, but just because someone isn't using a machine the Microsoft-sanctioned way, or the same way as I do, doesn't mean they should suffer a lovely experience.

That said, I still run Windows 7 at home, and Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016 at work :D

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 28, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

redeyes posted:

^^hows LTSB treating you?

It was too tempting not to choose - a Windows 10 without most of the Windows 10 stuff. Doesn't even have the store, at all.

I like it. It doesn't get in my way. It's also nice to know I won't get into work one day and be stuck with a time-consuming update.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I'm more interested in how anyone can use 100 programs loaded into memory at one time, presumably with unsaved results. Not even criticising.

It does sound pretty extreme.
Also, sorry if I caused any offence, I wasn't picking on your comment in particular, just a general feeling in the thread.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 28, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

They had to fit the total lack of piracy protection in there somehow.

Actually, they did have protection; the workaround is, I believe, caused by the ability to boot CD+G, karaoke CDs. the way I remember it is that for whatever reason that if the Dreamcast detects one of these karaoke CDs, it will boot without checking the code. The last batches of Dreamcasts came without the ability to run CD+Gs...

Edit: It wasn't CD+G at all, I remembered it a touch incorrectly; it was MIL-CD, a spec designed by SEGA themselves to perform a similar function - multimedia demos and the like. So really, they screwed themselves in the creation of a gimmick format nobody used (other than for creating bootloaders for pirate games, of course).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 29, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Against my better judgement, I'm finally moving up to Windows 10 for my new personal machine.

First post had some links I went looking at, but surely at this point there's a newer, better tool out there that's a one-stop-shop for purging the poo poo out of every last stupid thing that Microsoft bombards you with, kills Cortana, and fixes all the privacy settings?

I use this one, for what it's worth: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Is there a free, lightweight PDF viewer that will let me view facing pages?

SumatraPDF