Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
This is the best Dragonball RPG with its only downsides being you really can't change plot outcomes (something you could do in other RPGs) and they never made a sequel covering 'Defenders of Namek' which is apparently what the Namek Saga is called. But this is an awesome game from Monolith Soft (so of course it's an awesome game) and I'm happy to see it LPed.

Oh, it does have a bit of a grind problem, but that's subvertable if you go to a particular place in the mountains and just kill end-game level enemies with a lot of risk-reward.

Also it's not that Roshi convinced Goku to sleep with her, it's that Goku was sleeping with blue Launch, who sneezed in the middle of the night, so when she and Goku woke up A. she had no idea where she was and B. Goku was oblivious to what the problem was (because he's Goku)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Some Numbers posted:

Potentially controversial, but factually true statement: Dragonball is better than DBZ.

No that's about right. I liked Krillin, Vegeta etc. more in Dragon Ball Z because they got a lot more development. But DB is much better on the whole.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

mauman posted:

Wasn't Vegeta strictly DBZ? I would agree DB was a much more fun series.

Yes but I mean more to the point that he had an arc. in Dragonball only Tien (who comes near the end) and Goku really have arcs. Krillin and Yamcha etc. wrap theirs up very quickly. Character-wise Dragonball is weaker than Z. In Z not only do we have Vegeta's arc, but Gohans and Krillins as well, Piccolo even has a big chunk to grow through. On the whole Character-wise, Z is stronger than Dragonball.

However as a constructed series, Dragonball is stronger than Z, your hero is Goku, the plot focus on his adventures, he fights the villains and wins and it's his story. In Z the story is Gohans or Piccolos or Vegetas or Krillins. Goku is in the position of the mentor roll, but he solves all the problems. So there's a disconnect where it's not his adventure, but he's still the hero.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

kalonZombie posted:

At least you didn't wake up to a link of the main characters rubbing dicks under her armpits.

This happened to me once.

What.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

It should be noted that Toriyama had planned for Goku to stay dead after the Cell saga (maybe that was even the Namek saga, which was originally supposed to have been the end of the series), and let Gohan become the new main character.

That didn't go over well with his publishers.

That's all pretty much a bunch of rumors that aren't correct.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/intended-end/

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Nidoking posted:

Actually, didn't Roshi ask Tien to beat Goku on his behalf in the tournament where they fought in the final round? I think Tien was already well aware of Jackie Chun's true identity and just chose not to say anything.

Tien is aware that Roshi is Jackie Chun. But it's more that Roshi asked that Tien take the role he had, to always prove to people that there was someone stronger.

Fun aside Dragonball note. The entire novel idea that Goku in fact didn't win the World Martial Arts tournament the first time he entered came about from people going to Toriyama and saying "And of course Goku will obviously win." which got him thinking "Wow if he doesn't win that means everyone will be shocked." It just so happened that thematically the idea that there is always someone stronger in the world and to never get conceited in your strength became a major underlying theme of Dragonball as a whole.

Look at each of the villains Goku fights in Z alone, each of them acts as if they are unbeatable and the strongest in the universe, from Vegeta to Super Buu each of them is utterly confident and don't think anyone can challenge them because they are the strongest. And they all lose. Toriyama gets a lot of critique for basically making it up as he went along and forgetting half the details and it's all true. But the fact that even unknowingly he was able to keep that theme running throughout the series is great. Technically that's the culmination of Vegeta's entire character arc. Finally accepting he isn't the strongest in the universe and that there is someone better.

Also Yamcha totally did figure out Chun was Roshi, until he saw Nam posing as Roshi in the crowd. But he was the first to clue in to it. Roshi was able to convince Goku that he wasn't Jackie Chun by saying (as Jackie Chun) that he was Roshi's cousin and showing a family tree.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

I mean roshi is basically immortal because he has the water of eternal youth or what not, he just takes a little sip of it to keep himself just old enough or something.

In otherwords he is a loving douchebag.

Not basically, he's stopped aging, but he can still be killed See: King Piccolo. He in fact tries to bravado to Tien that he'll be fine since he can't be killed but admits that there's no such convenient thing in the world.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

Except there is, you can literally go to shenron and wish to be immortal.

This was before anyone had wished for Immortality in Dragonball. Remember that Toriyama wrote this series by the seat of his pants. Even King Picollo wished for eternal youth, not immortality. He then KILLED Shenron. He also ate food, and could produce demons, and the souls he killed wouldn't pass on.

In short, it's Dragonball.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

This apparently doesn't apply to piccolo junior, otherwise Raditz would have never passed on (and got put in the Yama lock)

Actually Kami says that is proof that Piccolo Jr. isn't as evil as his father, because him killing Goku and Raditz lead to them passing on.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

In many ways Toriyama's storytelling isn't particularly innovative (I don't mean that as a negative); Goku, being a paragon of virtue, marries, has a family, and accepts that even he needs to die at some point. Piccolo starts life as a son/clone of Dragon Ball's version of the devil, who so feared death that he wished for eternal youth, but after spending time training Gohan, he reforms enough that he fearlessly (and somewhat stupidly) sacrifices himself to save his pupil. Vegeta starts out as a conquering, planet-killing space pirate, but then he starts to reform, marries, has a family, and, despite initially coming to earth in search of immortality, deliberately engineers a wish so that only innocents will be revived under the assumption that it'll keep him dead.

In short, as far as the series is concerned, only evil people seek immortality because everyone good is well adjusted enough to realize that death isn't an ultimate evil that must be avoided at all costs.

Here's the thing, that's more for the dub. Goku in the original while still being the hero is more of the Monkey King style hero. He lives for his own desires and pretty much only those. He'll be selfish at points, and do what he wants the way he wants to. He's still very heroic but Toriyama has always said that he's pure in the sense that he's never for a moment ever thought complex enough to really consider evil. He's pure in that same way Kid Buu is 'Pure' a creature of 'innocence'.

Some Numbers posted:

That's kind of the ultimate message of Harry Potter too. Voldemort seeks immortality because he's terrified of death and Harry ultimately overcomes him by accepting and eventually embracing death.

I thought Harry overcame him by rules lawyering him to death after dicking around in a forest for half a loving book.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Speaking of their other projects, Hellsing Abridged is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgnIjJexut4

Or as Taka likes to refer to it as "My personal masturbation series"

EDIT: For the record though, this would be their R-18 series if DBZ is PG. There is a lot of crossing the line 1000 times.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 19, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Also that Tien has been training pretty much forever with using attacks that consume life force, and as of Dragon Ball Online, went on to refound the Crane Hermit school to teach MORE people to use those abilities, since in his mind, the best way to handle interdimensional/spacial etc. threats was to blast them with the biggest Ki you could (As seen by: Spirit Bomb)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Bloodly posted:

Hmm. Kinda ruminating. Kikoho/Tri-Beam burns life. Dodon Ray/Dodonpa is quick, thin, piercing, powerful, even rapid-fire. Both are or rather were moves of an assassination school. Dodon makes sense. Quick and quiet. Kikoho...doesn't. I suppose if things went loud? Make absolutely sure they die, or at least that YOU'LL die so you can't reveal anything? The thing basically blows it's target away or crushes them into the ground, so there's use for that, then leave?

I'm kinda picturing a whole group of people-an army, even-using it and just thinking "Jesus...."

But how mad, how desperate would you have to be to use that? As a one shot, or even regularly? Although I can imagine some poseur learning it to show off or something. Or maybe learning it just to bulk up from recovering the life lost needing to burn fat or something. Kikoho diet? Kikoho suicides?

I guess in the end a good gun works better anyway.

Keep in mind, Crane fought against Piccolo's demon army. I like to think that scared the ever loving poo poo out of him to the point he just tried to develop the strongest techniques. Then in the usual, "Power corrupts absolutely" he just focused on attaining the power and using it and not the why he wanted it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YHeryg10iA&t=212s

Yeah, Roshi mentions that Crane basically snapped when Piccolo beat them.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

mateo360 posted:

So they were so desperate for padding this game out that they had to resort to using the the saga that came before the main focus of the story and from the show that didn't even have Z in the title.

Not really, 'Z' as a thing didn't really exist in the original manga. It really was just a chance of fate that the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament concluding with Goku grown up and then the time skip was Z. And even then that's pretty much only for the anime.

The fact is, this arc provides a lot of context from future stuff.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Hahahahaha, Krillen's outfit is just coat, there's no pants! You can't even see his knees!

There are his knees are just covered, I mean you can't see ANY of their knees.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Agent Interrobang posted:

Real talk, though: the more I've read and watched over the years, the more I feel like the statement the series is trying to MAKE on power levels is that they're bullshit. Every single time any villain tries to go 'oh, my power level easily exceeds this guy, I will trash him effortlessly' they get their butt whupped.

Vegeta thought he was born to win because he was one of the 'elite,' and he got his poo poo wrecked; he never caught up until he forsook elitism and actually trained to be better. Frieza thought he was invincible; then Goku pasted him and Trunks turned him into scallopini. Cell literally called himself 'super-perfect,' then got beaten by a half-breed saiyan 10-year-old because that kid was pissed off enough and had enough training to do it; hell, he gets stopped DEAD IN HIS TRACKS by Tien because Tien was willing to give it his all. Buu was stopped not by escalating the conflict, but rather by a cowardly fighter who by the standards of the series is essentially powerless leveraging his fame and status as a beloved idol to galvanize the people of Earth, and also his willingness to show mercy to what everyone else assumed was just a monster.

Nobody JUST wins because they're 'stronger' in Dragon Ball. They win because they either tried harder, thought cleverly, or had support. The message throughout the series seems to be that you cannot numerically-quantify what is, for lack of a better term, spirit. It defies easy categorization, and more than anything, what really pays off is hard work. Goku is not the best fighter BECAUSE he's a saiyan; he's the best fighter because he never, ever, ever, EVER stops trying to be better, and because he shows mercy to the vanquished.

Well... yeah that's because that WAS the statement it was making, pretty sure that Toriyama said it himself. But if you need a recent example. SSJ3 Goku couldn't land a single hit on Beerus. SSJ2 Vegeta was able to land several solid blows and even TAKE a hit because he saw Beerus hit Bulma. so yes, Vegeta's love for his wife made him stronger then Goku briefly, because that's the entire message.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

The move Piccolo uses is indeed the Light Grenade, he calls out "Gekiretsu Koudan!", the original name of the move. Why he has it now when he shouldn't create that move until years after this fight (hell, years after this game even ends), I have no idea, I guess they needed to give Piccolo something more and it'd be boring to go with a generic mouth blast (despite that being something Piccolo very much could do at the time)

Also the idea of Goku becoming Kami makes no sense whatsoever after we learn of what Namekians are (Goku couldn't create the Dragon Balls no matter what). Retcons! That said, he DID become a God, so maybe Kami did have a point after all. In that, because Piccolo being stronger than the Gods is an absolutely hilarious statement. He's more effective than some Gods (because Supreme Kai is the worst), but he's far below the level of...say, Beerus.

Kami as in the God protector of Earth. Remember that Kami wasn't the first God of Earth, he got the job from someone else who wasn't Namekian. The Dragon Balls were one of his ways to... provide for the planet.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

YggiDee posted:

Rumor has it, the complete shitstorm that was Dragon Ball Evolution made Akira Toryiama get up from his throne of money and see what everyone has been doing with his beloved franchise, which is about where he got involved with Dragon Ball Online, and jumped in to rewrite BoG so it didn't suck. So now there's the Freiza movie and Online lead to Xenoverse and Toryiama wrote Jaco the Galactic Patrolman and some of the DBZ abridged guys work for FUNimation now and I guess we're in the second Dragon Ball renaissance or something.

(That was, again, rumor but Akira Toryiama is openly negative about Evolution, which you apparently don't get much in Japan. Also, the timeline fits and I am entertained by the idea that he thought Evolution was so bad that he'd revive Dragon Ball out of spite.)

Should be pointed out that before Toriyama got involved, Battle of Gods was about the evil 'Virus' who was the reason Saiyans were 'evil' and Super Saiyan God was big, bulky and contained a cape. In short it took itself entirely too seriously, tried to explain away the Saiyans being fight happy retards with "Oh it was just an evil virus" and completely missed the point. It's not just that Battle of Gods is a good film, but it's so great when you realize we were going to get another skippable dreck movie.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ParanoidLogician posted:

My thoughts exactly. A part of me still kind of wishes Cell Saga was the last saga. Then another part of me wishes Frieza Saga was the last one (despite liking Cell Saga). And then a final part of me wishes Dragon Ball ended back with Goku beating Piccolo at the end of the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament. But eh, that's just me and I'm kind of dumb.

:stare:

That's... That's...

:ohdear: Oh God, who came up with that idea?! Seriously.

quote:

The scriptwriter Yūsuke Watanabe originally thought of the main antagonist Beerus as a very bad guy who infects people with evil and who was the one who made the Saiyan race ruthless.

According to an interview with the Battle of Gods character designer, Tadayoshi Yamamuro, Beerus originally looked like a lizard, but Toriyama changed his design entirely. Yamamuro's original concept for Super Saiyan God had the form being more muscular, wearing a cloak, and with a hairstyle in-between Super Saiyan 3 and Super Saiyan 4. Toriyama came up with a picture of Super Saiyan God that was completely different than Yamamuro's own initial muscular, cloaked design. They went back and forth like this a bit before settling on the final design.

Also, Yūsuke Watanabe wanted the party in the film to be Krillin and Android 18's wedding, but Akira Toriyama changed this to Bulma's birthday.

There's a number of other factoids, the movie went grossly over its run time in storyboarding so stuff for the other earthlings to do was cut out.

quote:

In the end, the scenario was expanded too much and, at the story boarding phase, the staff had already gone very much over the intended length, so they cut down quite a bit as a result; notably the Z Fighters' larger role in the fights. Among the cut scenes, there is one scene written by Akira Toriyama where Goku is in a pinch and everyone goes to help him, even though they know it is hopeless. It goes on so that in the end, even Mr. Satan tries to help. In the original story, for fun, he made Satan say lots of things like "I have a stomachache, so I’ll protect everyone from here!"

What I personally like about Battle of Gods is that it reinforces one of the oldest lessons in the manga, the one that shaped the way it would go quite a bit. That was "There is always going to be someone better than you." So for those who never watched the original Dragon Ball, Roshi didn't want his pupils to grow arrogant or lazy, so he expressly told them that he wasn't sending them to the 21st World Martial Arts tournament to win, only to participate and have something to strive for. Now, originally, Goku was just going to win, but because people kept coming up to Toriyama and basically saying "So Goku is winning right" he thought "Wow, wouldn't it be a good twist if Goku didn't win?"

Regardless, Roshi participated under the alias of Jackie Chun and defeated Goku in the final battle, in the next tournament however he would face Tien in the semi-finals, realizing that Tien was in fact stronger than him, he forfeit, breaking Tien's haughty spirit (As he did not allow Tien to beat him through power, and Tien knew that Roshi hadn't been going full force.) and essentially setting him on the path to take his place, being the martial artist who would remind all other Martial Artists, "There is always someone better."

So after all of the battles, tournaments, space emperors and magic genies, Goku comes face to face with Beerus. And he loses. Twice. The second time after attaining a major power up, which Beerus treats more like he's training Goku in the ways of having such God-Like power rather than actively trying to kill him. As strong as Goku got, there was still someone better, and this spurned him on because he realized there was so much more out there that he hadn't experienced. BoGs lesson was that even after everything, there's still someone better, at the very end of the movie, after all the rampage and destruction Beerus has caused, Whis takes him out with a single chop, so even Beerus has someone stronger than he was.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 31, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

DukeofCA posted:

This is probably the only change I'm disappointed in.

I'm not, the movie takes place after Buu, Krillin already has a daughter with 18. That's rather late to be having the wedding.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

FailAtMagic posted:

Believe it or not people have kids out of wedlock and than decide to marry.

I know. 7 years after her birth is a long as gently caress time to wait.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I think Krillin is probably a stay at home dad.

No he's a policeman, later he will go on to form the New Turtle school and train the martial artists of the future.

Yamcha on the other hand does loving nothing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Brewsuke posted:

I might not be remembering this right, but didn't he become a baseball player? How did that turn out?

He made a lot of money playing Baseball. Meanwhile Krillin forms the New Turtle school (With the idea that teamwork and support is what will allow humanity to fight against aliens and demons), Tenshinhan founds the New Crane school (With the idea that gently caress teamwork you just need a big enough Ki blast.) while Goten and Trunks found 'Kikoukenjutsu Sword School' Which is literally 'Energy Control Fencing' but I would translate personally as Spirit Sword Fighting or similar. gently caress even Pan gets in on it, when Mr. Satan's Telecommunicated Satan-style Martial Arts Course turns out to be worthless TOO ADVANCED FOR THE FILTHY PLEBS, people storm Satan House to get their money back. So Pan beats them all up and it's re-branded the Pan Fighting Network, which she becomes the instructor of.

In fact the last time Yamcha makes an official mention in the annals of history is getting stabbed by Gero.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Silegna posted:

I think it was because the Ox King didn't intimidate him, and was bold enough to even attempt that. Then again, how the HELL can Chi-Chi ride the Nimbus when she dressed like...well, a DQ3 Female Warrior.

Because how you dress doesn't reflect on how you ARE. Krillin and Roshi can't ride it because they're perverts, same as Bulma, but Chi-Chi never has thoughts like that, neither does Goku, the two of them are pure of mind and heart. Goku is a violent SoB who really only cares about fighting, but his reasons for fighting are pure (for the sake of fighting)

Though note, the reason Goku married Chi-Chi out of universe? Toriyama really didn't like drawing her but didn't want to just drop her so "If I marry her to Goku I have to draw her."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Uh, are you sure that's right? He didn't like drawing her so he made her an important side character so he'd have to keep drawing her?

I know it sounds weird, but yes.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/son-goku-densetsu-toriyama-x-nakatsuru/

Who do you prefer: Bulma or Chi-Chi?
Toriyama:
To be honest, I’m really not fond of Chi-Chi as a character. (laughs) In the middle of the comic, I started to think, “I don’t want to draw her anymore,” and, sort of as a way of spiting myself, I decided, “you’ll have to draw her if she gets married to Goku, so marry them off!” So, I drew her as a kind of punishment. (laughs)
Nakatsuru:
So that was your reason behind it! (laughs)

Toriyama:
The women I draw all have the same sort of personality. I can’t draw gentle girls; I only know how to draw ones who are strong-willed.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

BattleCattle posted:

...Can Vegeta ride the nimbus?

Probably not, but maybe. Vegeta did a lot of evil in the past, it's the same reason when he died he didn't get to keep his body, I think to be 'pure' you must never have been 'tainted'

Goten can also ride the Nimbus, so it's a characteristic of the Son family to just have that humble existence. Keep in mind that Upa, Launch in her 'good' personality, Uub and an unnamed mermaid and muscular woman could all ride the Nimbus.

Bulma couldn't, Trunks could (In the opening of a video game), Krillin couldn't, Master Roshi couldn't.

I think the main difference between Goku and Vegeta would be Pride.

EDIT: In the manga and japanese dub, Roshi intended to give Goku the Immortal Phoenix who bestows Immortality to Goku before being informed that, ironically, it had died due to eating tainted bird seed. So instead he gave him the Nimbus. This was for finding and bringing back his Turtle for the record.

Roshi has ENDLESSLY COOL loving poo poo just lying about.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 3, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Silegna posted:

What.
There is NO way Yamcha is as powerful as a robot made with the genetic material of Goku, Piccolo, Frieza, and Vegeta.

By the end of the Buu arc, potentially. See as strong as the Saiyans got, the humans actually WERE improving drastically.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Silegna posted:

Doesn't Krillin, Canonically become the strongest human?

Yes, though fans get uppity and insist it's Tien (probably because Tien is never NOT training)

But really they're all some of the most powerful beings in the universe.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

That's anime filler, in the Manga the Destructo Disk never failed to cut anything.

Also I'm honestly a little disappointed that you don't get to have Chichi in your party as a temporary party member or something during this part at least. Like, give her just a basic combo and start her at level 6. This is right after the tournament where she and Goku fight! She has not transformed into Mom yet!

There's a reason they haven't. She'd only be temporary which would cut into Goku's XP growth (Since she'd divide the amount by half), and there's no other case of a Temporary party member. Same reason Chiaotzu doesn't get a slot. Now they could program a system that has her give her XP to Goku when she departs, but then that's a free *however much XP it takes to get to level 6* on top of the XP she leeched.

So why not permanent? Because right after this segment she does go full mom, and as much as we're adapting filler, we're still adapting the Saiyan Saga. If it were just "Generic Dragon Ball RPG set after the 23rd WMT until the birth of Gohan" there'd be no excuse for Chi-Chi not being a party member.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Xenav posted:

Considering she decently held her own against Goku in the tournament, I'd say she would probably be nearly as strong as Goku was then. I'm no expert on DBZ rough powers, but it's just an interpretation of the scene.

However, I'm betting for size limitations, they decided not to allow temporary party members that would never be used again, including other things you have yet to show that hint at the party size hard limit. Then again... I would want to see a power leveled ChiChi take on the secret boss of the game. :allears: I just want to see if you're going to abuse a certain equipment combination once you get it... Model Full Moon + HEAD-CHA-LA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyOnv0O7Sew

I wouldn't say she held her own, but she's definitely at the level here where I would say he was around when he fought... the Red Ribbon army? considering no special training from Roshi or Korin, but a lot of years of fighting dinosaurs and just being the daughter of the Ox-King.

This has less to do with Chi-Chi and more to do with Goku just got off years of training with Kami. When you get off training with literal GOD for a few years, there's not a lot of people who can match up to you.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ah, our recurring "Wait the Saiyans only really consitute about 2 fights, poo poo we need filler" bosses. Pilafs gang!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Isn't this just part of the original Dragonball series? I'm... not sure if everything is in the right order, though. I'm guessing we're not even close to DBZ territory.

This was the last bit of filler in Dragon Ball before Z began. But needless to say the game is not going to be "Raditz Arrives, Goku's Dead! Goku trains with King Kai, Gohan trains with Piccolo, Z Fights Train with Kami, They get wrecked by Nappa, Goku returns, they wreck Vegeta!"

The AotS Arc does not really have much in the way of RPG stuff on its own.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Lynkericious posted:

Or when the Saiyans were killing his Students left and right. Or when Raditz kidnapped Goku's son and put Krillin through his house. Basically, Master Roshi is apparently Super Kami Guru levels capable of not giving a poo poo it seems.

Either that or Power Levels are, once again, bullshit. :v:

Well duh, how many times did he bust out his beefcake form?

all of ONCE, to blow up a mountain, he would get buff later on but only to "Healthy adult male" levels when he was around 400 years old. Even his training of Goku and Krillin was more "do chores, endlessly. For my profit."

Roshi is the BEST geezer.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ox King isn't in any rush, lets go city slumming.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

dancingbears posted:

I'm pretty sure there's no "Mrs. Brief", just Bra, Bulma's mom. Almost nobody has a surname in Dragonball - Goku has one of the only ones we ever see - so Bulma, Dr. Brief, and Bra aren't the Brief family, but they sometimes get called that because English uses "Dr. Lastname", where Dr. Brief is likely just using his first name.

Bra is Bulma's daughter.

Dr. Brief
Mrs. Brief
Tights Brief (Bulma's sister, debuted in Jaco the Galactic Patrolman)
Bulma Brief
Trunks Brief
Bulla Brief (Bra in Japanese)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Sordas Volantyr posted:

If you exclude the bit where Earth's been blown to pieces that lasts about twenty minutes before they revert it, three people actually completely avoid death for the entire series from the start of Dragonball to the end of the Buu Arc : one of King Kai's fellow Kais (couldn't tell you which one), Fortuneteller Baba, and Hercule.

Dont you mean include? Because Baba and Hercule survived earths destruction.

Also technically Hercule dies in Resurrection F when Frieza blows up earth. But Whis rewinds time. Do you die if the event technically didn't happen?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

You'll all see. There's a method to the madness.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

So we're good to talk about Gohan? Surely he's the one we should be dumping everything into. He's the actual main character of Dragon Ball Z.

This only goes till the end of the Saiyan arc, and the games already proven that it'll invent stuff because that actual arc is minuscule.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So, Goku's backstory has been retconned a bit. Maybe Toriyama felt that Goku only being heroic because of amnesia was a loving copout, or maybe he just forgot his own origin story, either works.

Introducing Dragon Ball Minus. Goku's a bit older than just a baby, but only 3 now. And he's still in an incubator pod. Raditz meanwhile is off being Vegeta's bitch and only survived the planet blowing up because when they got the order to return Vegeta was like "gently caress that we'll just ignore it."

Minus introduced a few things.

Firstly, Gine, mother of Goku and Raditz, she's unique for a Saiyan in that she's not really all that violent or arrogant. She is also unique in giving a crap about her children. Bardock's very much influenced a lot by her personality. Regardless, Bardock finds it suspicious that all of the Saiyans are being recalled and is worried for his children.

Regardless, Bardock is sensing death, so he makes the choice to send Goku to Earth, noting that the power levels there are pathetic, there's plenty of food and it should be out of the Planet Trade Organizations general area.

so Goku gets packed onto a space ship in Saiyan armor, sent off, Vegeta gets blown up by Frieza and Goku is found by Grandpa Gohan, who taught him to be a good person, as he was initially very rowdy

Ultimately it's a change of amnesia vs actual nurture, and I prefer it. being good because you hit your head is dumb, being raised by a good person is much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

Jesus, as if he wasn't Superman enough. How much older is Raditz than Goku? Because he remembered Bardock even before this retcon, meaning that he had to be at least some sort of adolescent when the planet blew up, right? Not that it ever matters, but I'm curious. It's really weird how Goku has a canonical brother that pops up in the first episode of Z to shake up status quo, but he doesn't really stick around for very long at all. Any other anime would've had him stick around for probably the length of the series, do a face turn, and be one of the heroes by the end of it all.

There's no sort of about it :colbert:. Up until Toriyama changed his mind, Gohan was the top dog. drat shame this game won't go far enough for him to do the actually cool stuff.

Remember that the Z distinction is Anime only, and Toriyama didn't even know the show had that natural switch from 21st world martial arts to Raditz. And when that was pointed out to him, how the end of the 21st is one chapter of Goku's life ending with Raditz kicking off basically an entirely new one he just went.

"... Huh you're right look at that. Neat."

• Locked thread