Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veotax
May 16, 2006

Does anyone else who has the game know if I need to do anything special to unlock Quiet? I've already had the cutscene where she shoots through the helicopter's rotors and I've just done my first mission in Africa and unlocked D-Walker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I was wrapping up some stuff in GZ and this happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYbTjgfGngY

Veotax
May 16, 2006

CharlieWhiskey posted:

How long is the intro everyone is amazed at? 30 mins? 60 mins? 90 mins? Would like to set aside a time not to be disturbed when UPS shows up.

The prologue mission is about an hour long, but there is an intro that you get before the title screen that's maybe five minutes long too.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm guessing the PS4 servers are hosed right now. I'm having no problems connecting and the lag when going into certain menus is negligible but every time I try to invade an FOB every singe base it gives me tells me that it's currently being invaded.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

ShadowMar posted:

Mission 12 Is the only way to get D-walker with an upgraded Fulton?

That's not D-Walker, D-Walker is unmissable.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

How do you pop out the end of the box when you have the horizontal posters equipped? Like this:

I can't figure out how to do it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Can someone explain what this is, when it happens, and if it's on youtube? I keep hearing about a "secret" cutscene but nothing's showing on google.

After you have the Medical strut built and have rescued the first wandering MB soldier, there is a door on the top floor of the main building that opens (it has a blue light above it).

It's not just a cutscene, there is actually a sidequest chain tied to the wandering MB soldiers and you'll get more cassettes out of it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

There's a folder in the game's install folder where you just drop MP3s into.

Mr E posted:

What the hell am I supposed to do to get the No kills, full stealth thing? I'm guess no reflex either?

Yeah, perfect stealth means no reflex.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

UberJew posted:

iirc you can customize it whenever but have to do so from the 'chilling in a helicopter in the middle of nowhere' screen

also can somebody figured out how to get to the screen that describes what a soldier's skill does yet

Go to the base personnel menu and there is an option to 'change view' or something, one of the views is a detailed look at the selected soldier and explains what skills a soldier has do.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Mr E posted:

There's a door that opens up if you go near upstairs off the middle portion.

I think you need to complete the first Wandering Mother Base Soldier side op too.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Party Boat posted:

I read that tell all about working conditions in Konami and it sounds like they're not a great place to work for. Super restrictive and controlling which doesn't work well with any kind of project management, never mind a creative one.

I bet whoever had to budget manage Kojima absolutely hated his guts tho

Kojima allegedly commissioned tracks from Harry Gregson-Williams and then later cut the scenes they were used in and instead of re-purposing the music he just threw it out.

If true, yeah the budget guy probably hated him.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Eau de MacGowan posted:

What the hell do you do if you stumble over mission 11 without a sniper rifle?

Order one? You can have any weapons and items you've developed air dropped in at any time if you have the money.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Man C2W [SUBSISTENCE] is a really hard mission, but I finally cracked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upW7jRKSDw8

First try! :D

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It also doesn't show up if you lack the materials / GMP needed for it, so maybe it's that? Are you sure you aren't seeing a + Children version of the Fulton in your upgrade menu anywhere?

I just set mine to lethal. The non-lethal FOB weapons aren't that good and the guard AI in really, really bad, so I don't trust them to actually stop anyone with tranq / stun gear. You can also button-mash to wake up from a stun or tranq in FOB matches, so I'm guessing most players would be able to wake up before a guard actually comes to Fulton them off.

Using LMGs seems to be the best bet, because they will keep the enemy's head down and eventually the damage buildup will just finish them off.

You also need to complete a side-op A rematch with Eli on Mother Base

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Golashes posted:

I have a side op I've now completed twice - it has a checkmark on it but it isn't greyed out. Why is this the case?

The maps are split-up into areas for side ops and will always have a side op available as soon as you've unlocked a side op that covers that area (generally side ops probably won't appear in areas before you've had a main op there). If the game is giving you a side op that you've already completed then you've run out of side ops that cover that area of the map until you complete more main ops.

Because of this system side ops have a priority assigned to them, lower priority side ops won't appear until until you've completed higher priority side ops in that area. For some reason the Legendary Gunsmith ops are lower priority than Blueprint ops, so some people get stuck on that chain because they haven't picked op the Stun Arm blueprint.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

How do I unlock gun customization? I snatched the dude, but nothing has unlocked for me.

Veotax posted:

Because of this system side ops have a priority assigned to them, lower priority side ops won't appear until until you've completed higher priority side ops in that area. For some reason the Legendary Gunsmith ops are lower priority than Blueprint ops, so some people get stuck on that chain because they haven't picked op the Stun Arm blueprint.

Apparently you might also need to wait for the dude to get out of the brig, but it unlocked immediately for me.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

Honey Bee mission question: Did anybody actually fight the skulls? Do you get something for it? Ocelot was all "Better use the new weapon, Boss." and I just went "Nope" whistled for D Horse and escaped really easily. The fog just disappears once you're about 500m away from where you start.

I just killed them with my assault rifle, had all the Honey Bee ammo left at the end. IIRC, there are bonus points for each Skull you kill.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

How the gently caress do I quit mission 45? I'm getting tired of these psychic tanks one-shotting me the second I come into view from across the map and want to come back once I've developed some better rocket launchers but I can't quit the loving thing.

There's no 'Abandon mission' option in the pause menu, if I quit to title the game just throws me back into the mission when I hit continue. I restarted the mission but there are no pick-up landing zones for the helicopter and if I leave the AO on foot it just fails the mission and makes me restart the checkpoint or mission (which at this point are the same thing).

Veotax
May 16, 2006

What the gently caress

Veotax
May 16, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I never had any problems with the checkpoint system so I don't get what people mean there for example. I wouldn't knock the game down because the bulk of complaints I hear are "I had to redo an area if I fail" which I don't inherently consider a flaw in a stealth game. I would in fact argue it is superior because it allows you another chance at stealthing the area instead of forcing you back into an alarmed status because you got far enough. I wouldn't knock the game for that. I'd consider it a positive.

How about having to redo three waves in a mission based around taking out waves and waves of tanks because it doesn't save between waves.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Shoren posted:

I hadn't thought of it like that with Big Boss doing exactly what he forsook the US for doing to The Boss. He was entirely at fault for setting up Venom Snake though, he even says that he (as Ishmael) was watching over Snake (Ahab) for the past 9 years. BB woke up well before Snake did and concocted the plan so he could establish Outer Heaven. I could be wrong because I haven't listened to all the tapes after mission 46 but that's how I see it.

The plan was already in motion while Big Boss was still in his coma, he just went along with it. Zero came up with the plan to create Venom Snake to protect Big Boss.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The game has bullet drop, tranq guns drop off massively.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Ezzer posted:

Is there ever an argument against extracting soldiers all the time? Can a random dude with no skills and an E in everything ever be detrimental to mother base?

A lovely E rank dude is better than an empty spot. Once you've filled up all your departments, then you want to be discerning.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The game expected foreknowledge for that aspect, I guess. Eli is Liquid Snake, a character from MGS1. Also, MGS2 & MGS4, kinda. Both he and Solid Snake were revealed to be clones in MGS1, I guess the game expected you to know that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Panfilo posted:

How do you unlock underbarrel shotguns or grenade launchers?

You upgrade your shotguns and grenade launchers. Some weapon upgrades will list an 'underbarrel conversion' as part of the upgrade, while useless on it's own it means that you can take that weapon and stick it on the underbarrel of a rifle.

• Locked thread