Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Fast lane or passing lane?
Fast Lane
Passing Lane
Goku Cuck tane LOLOLOLOL
View Results

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Is the far left lane (far right for UK goons) on the highway someplace where you can stay all the time as long as you're moving faster than other cars, or should you only pull out into the left lane when you are passing another vehicle, then pull back into the center lane when you've completed your maneuver?

I'm not asking what the road manual says I mean in terms of accepted social etiquette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
first vote bitches

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

passing lane is exclusively for drag, OP

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
It's the lane you're in if you are doing [speed limit] + 5. If you're going 80 in a 70, gently caress you I'm not moving over, you can stop flashing your lights like a little bitch.

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010
I once heard that life in the fast lane will surely make you lose your mind. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Fast lane is whichever one im in, usually to the right of some slow driver

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Richard M Nixon posted:

It's the lane you're in if you are doing [speed limit] + 5. If you're going 80 in a 70, gently caress you I'm not moving over, you can stop flashing your lights like a little bitch.

you're everything that's wrong with america

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

all lanes are equal

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Richard M Nixon posted:

Same :hf:

Speedlimit Crew represent! People behind me go insane when I obey the weird little 40mph zone that covers a couple miles around a bridge on the expressway downtown, but gently caress them! I see cops waiting in a little speed trap nook like 1 out of 3 times I go that way. It's not worth getting a ticket on my way to visit my girlfriend's parents :colbert:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
If you are not going 10 mph over the speed limit at all times (except in school zones) then you are the one who is wrong.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Whatever you do, don't exceed the speed limit. So if I am doing the speed limit in the passing lane, it is because I am attempting to pass traffic driving at less than tthat speed. If there isnt any, oh well I guess your gonna have to glare at me as you pass on the right.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Whatever you do, don't exceed the speed limit. So if I am doing the speed limit in the passing lane, it is because I am attempting to pass traffic driving at less than tthat speed. If there isnt any, oh well I guess your gonna have to glare at me as you pass on the right.

The "speed limit" is not a strict limit the law allows for a 10mph discretionary window on either side.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
I love when someone passes me on the right because there mad that i wasnt speeding only to find out that the reason i was going slow was that i could see traffic stopping ahead, so they have to smash their brakes. some times i get into the right lane because it breaks up faster after the congestion clears so i can pass that car and smile at them. i might even be able to get back into the left lane if they are really bumper to bumper (because they are idiots :D)

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Applewhite posted:

The "speed limit" is not a strict limit the law allows for a 10mph discretionary window on either side.

i don't think this is true

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

the speed limit doesn't really exist it's just a suggestion. If you get pulled over just educate the dumb cop.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's the fast lane when there's traffic. You shouldn't stay in the left lane if there's no one around or if it's gonna be a while til you pass the next car.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's the fast lane when there's traffic. You shouldn't stay in the left lane if there's no one around or if it's gonna be a while til you pass the next car.

Yeah this is pretty much how I treat it.

AntiZorn
Sep 23, 2007
Pillbug

Richard M Nixon posted:

So which bad driver are you: the Corolla, the Camry, or the Prius?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Texas has signs that dictate when it's a passing lane only

thetedster
Jan 31, 2007
If there's more than two lanes then it is a free for all. Fastest car makes the rules.

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010

AntiZorn posted:

those aren't drivers, they're cars.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

I love when someone passes me on the right because there mad that i wasnt speeding only to find out that the reason i was going slow was that i could see traffic stopping ahead, so they have to smash their brakes. some times i get into the right lane because it breaks up faster after the congestion clears so i can pass that car and smile at them. i might even be able to get back into the left lane if they are really bumper to bumper (because they are idiots :D)

Conversely, passing on the right (while NOT exceeding the speed limit) is fun as hell.

Especially when you're passing an old dude who flips his poo poo because you have the temerity to blow pass while he's still going 30 in a 45 in the left lane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

AntiZorn posted:

there are only two kinds of bad drivers:

bad drivers, and the people who constantly complain about bad drivers

• Locked thread