Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Welcome to the game thread! The OOC thread is this way.

In popular parlance, to be "low on the Tree" means you're in a precarious spot. Maybe your skimmer wrecked in the middle of the Lower Cloudsea and you can't afford repairs. Maybe you caught a bad case of the green lung. Or maybe you're just down on your luck and in a whole lot of debt. Truth be told, people who actually dare to head to the World Tree's lower branches aren't often "low on the Tree" themselves. There's treasure to be had down there, adventure, or simply a nice big haul of low-bark. Either that, or you're dead, and at that point how high or low you are on the Tree doesn't matter so much, now does it?

Anyway, long story short, the crew of the Black Heaven aren't so high on the Tree these days, in any sense of the phrase.

Here's the situation: this kraa named Kren puts out this rumor, or a bulletin, or a bill, whatever you want to call it. The featherbrain's a bark miner, he says, not an uncommon profession for an outcast like him, especially when you're looking to mine low-bark, which has some rich deposits that are a lot easier to reach when you can fly under your own power. Kren claims he's seen one hell of a thing among the lower branches: he says he found a city. A city, down there, on the lowest of the low islands, that nobody's ever heard of. Spires of stone and glass, he says, all nestled on this dark little island in a knot of low branches.

And, get this: it was glowing. Well, part of it was, anyway. Kren didn't dare get too close--"What can I say? Rather keep all my limbs, if I got a choice." But he did see some sparkling things on the ground around the edge of the island, and while he didn't land--"I saw this thing, man, skulking around the edge of the tree-line just a bit off the island's edge, it had yellow fuckin' eyes, man, big as like three bavenn standin' on each other's shoulders"--he did scoop up a rock that is literally studded with shine. No, really. He showed it to you, after you tracked him down. And Kren insists there's more where that came from, littered all over the ground. "Maybe," he says, "people there don't have any use for it."

But, shine in a rock? And that far from Sola's light? What in the dragonhells is that about?

But--shine. That much shine. That much shine. How could an enterprising crew (who need to pay to keep their ship in the sky) resist?

Anyway, here you are. Low on the branches. Low on sunstones. You drifted down past the last safe port ages ago, and you're still probably a day's sail away from the knot of branches Kren directed you to. So, tell me:

Everyone - Where are you on the Heaven right now? What are you doing? How has the last day of sailing been for you?

Captain Gett - What scrape did the crew narrowly make it through on the journey so far?

Jerret - Why should the crew of the Heaven be thankful that you were on board for this trip?

Luka - What's a memory from your journey so far that you can't wait to burn up for Sola?

Cy - What do you hope to find on Kren's supposed island? I doubt you're motivated by the same forces as the rest of these mercenaries and explorers--what are you doing here?

Usopp - I'm sure you've explored mysterious glowing ruins before, or at least encountered mysterious glowing artifacts. What could make a whole city glow like that?

As for rolling, use whichever online dice roller you want, and link to your rolls as usual. I'll roll any damage you make take, just to keep things moving along. Make sure to have your current HP, armor, XP, and any debilities in each post--but, eh, let's be real, you guys know the drill.

I'm going to try to post about four or five times a week. You can always expect to have roughly a day in between my posts (on average)--if I post more often than that, I'll make sure to do so after everyone's already posted so nobody gets cut off.

Let's do this!

Harrow fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Usopp - Things don't often glow except if they're packed full of shine, or infused with Sola's light by virtue of being a sunstone. And from what you remember about Professor Roarke's stone, it didn't glow like any shine you've ever seen, and sunstones don't glow green.

As the ship drifts down past the massive vines that hang over the Bleaklands--a darkened island of small, twisted trees and sandy soil, and the last "safe" stop for most low-bark miners before heading into uncharted territory--you see something that the more worldly among you would recognize as a classic Arcadian move. From above you, roughly where you last saw the Unremitting Vengeance, come a flock of huge birds with glowing golden marks on their heads. Branded wildlife--because why endanger a sailor when you can send your pets instead?

At one time, these were probably rocs, a noble species of bird native to the downtree regions, where they swoop into the lowest parts of the Lower Cloudsea with their powerful wings to fish up massive wingfish to eat. What the Arcadians have turned these three birds into, however, is a lot less noble. They still have a wingspan about half the length of the Black Heaven, though. And they're coming right for you, flitting between the vines, more agile than any natural roc has any right to be.

One of them soars directly above the Black Heaven, spreads its wings, and opens its beak wide, revealing a strange lattice of wires inside of its mouth that start to spark as they gather aetheric sparks from the damp air. Because of course they've been equipped with weapons.

Classic Arcadia.

The other two fly around to either side of the Heaven, one on the starboard side swooping in beak-first as if to ram right into the ship's hull, and the other moving to disappear underneath.

What do you do?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cy, as you sink your blade into the branded roc's shoulder, it spasms, its life quickly leaking from its many wounds, and the lightning it was gathering arcs out of control, sparking and crackling around you. You take a pretty nasty shock--you take 8 damage (best of 2d8+1, -1 for your Armor). Jeez. That damage roll did not go your way.

Meanwhile, at the Captain's orders, the crew maneuvers the Heaven sharply up and to port, letting the ramming roc sail harmlessly under. Jerret, your somewhat clumsy flight places you directly in its path. As it bears down on you, titanic beak ready to crash right into your chest plate, your aetheric cannons jolt to life at just the right time, zapping the bird right in the face and causing it to barely miss you with its beak, and its massive wing misses your head just barely. It swoops back around, course-correcting, and reaches out with its talons, grabbing you tightly as it starts to fly upward.

Luka, as the roc that flew under the Heaven swoops up to grab to the ship's boy, you blast it right in its feathery chest, sending it careening backwards through the air. As it rights itself, it starts gathering up aetheric energy, beak wide open, and staring right at you, Luka.

Usopp, in all of the chaos, you're having a hard time remembering many details about rocs, but that's okay--you can tell these rocs aren't natural creatures, or at least, they aren't anymore. Rocs are normally solitary creatures, but these things are heavily modified, inside and out, and seem to be able to communicate through their Arcadian tech. Also, and you kind of wish you didn't know this part, but branded creatures have a bad habit of exploding when they die, as their inner tech overloads with the solar energy they've absorbed. You remember this just as you notice the bird that Cy killed plummeting through the air, ready to land right on top of the Heaven, sparking with lightning and glowing a suspicious, rather sunny shade of gold...

What do you do?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Luka, who are you using Give Me Fuel, Give Me Fire on? If it's the roc, the answer is: completely blank. This thing doesn't have any desires of its own. You can feel, somewhere deep down inside what's left of its mind, someone else's desire, though, and it looks a whole lot like a little machine you feel like you've seen around before.

On top of that, though, Luka's cannon fire strikes true once again, striking the bird's wing--you hear a horrible crunch as the bird starts to spiral down, no longer able to sustain its flight. In its death throes (it's quite dead), its aetheric lightning starts sparking out of control. Most of it doesn't hit anything, but one bolt licks the Black Heaven's mainsail, setting its corner on fire!

Jerret, your suit's servos creak and whine as you strain against the might of the roc's huge talons. It's strong enough, though, and you break free, though your suit is a bit worse for wear; take a -1 DEX debility until you can repair the servos. As soon as you're free, the huge bird swoops around again, opening its beak, ready to grab your leg and drag you off again. Cy, however, gets there just in time; how will you use your Hold to defend Jerret, Cy?

Captain Gett, under normal circumstances, you'd be able to make this flight, no problem. However, the professor decided to "help" you, so now you should make another piloting check, because Usopp threw off your course just enough that you might well crash the Heaven right into the side of the woodeworm hole. Academics, am I right? To make matters worse, there's a cold mist around the entrance of the hole--you're close enough to the Lower Cloudsea now that things can get a bit icy and hazy. Visibility isn't great.

And that bird's still falling, and it's still going to hit you--you've moved enough that it won't land right in the center of the Heaven, but it'll probably clip the back of the ship if you're not quick. And it's still glowing, too...

To summarize:
  • Jerret, take -1 DEX until you can fix your servos. The roc that was holding you is now charging right for you, beak open.
  • Cy, you're defending Jerret. How are you doing so?
  • Luka, you killed one! But its death throes set the ship's mainsail on fire.
  • Usopp, you are not a skilled pilot, and that bird is about to blow up any second now.
  • Captain Gett, thanks to the professor's "help," you now have to fight to keep the ship on course into the woodeworm hole or risk smashing right into the tree.
What do you all do?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 8, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Error 404 posted:

can't do a full post until tonight, but I have a move that applies when the suit takes damage. Does that apply now? Because if it does the suit is Dinged instead of the debility. If not, no big deal.

That makes sense to me. You can make that move apply here.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sorry for the delay, everyone. Not an excellent work week. I'll have a new post today!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The flames heed your call, Luka. They burn fast and hot around the edges of the sails, causing no functional damage but burning themselves out in a spectacular blaze of glory that you're probably the only one paying attention to. What a shame. The updraft from them strikes the falling roc, seeming to slow its descent enough to...

...buy Usopp some time. Professor, as you dig through your collection, Bud-E hands you a little brass sphere that you recognize as having been part of the same collection of curios that he was. It is, as the catalogers called it, a "device by which to freeze an object upon forceful contact." In layman's terms? It's a friggin' ice bomb. It's a little dinged, but it's freezing cold to the touch--it'll work, so long as you can hit the roc with it. Luckily, it's a big target.

Cy, you feel your low-bark blade strain under the vibrations ringing through it after you gently tapped the roc at full speed. The roc smacks right into the basking log lizard, which springs into action attacking the huge feathered beast for daring to interrupt its slumber. As the bird and the lizard battle it out, it's clear that the bird's "enhancements" are winning the day--as Jerret rights himself in the air and surveys his dinged suit, the bird is already shocking the life out of the poor lizard.

Captain Gett, you've just barely managed to maneuver the Heaven towards the borehole in the tree. You're on course, but not quite fast enough--the falling, exploding roc is mere yards away. You're almost there, almost there, but that thing's going to blow in a matter of seconds if nobody does anything, and the blast radius, well... let's just say I hope you weren't too attached to the poop deck.

Time slows to a crawl. It's now or never--you pull this off, you all escape more or less intact. You've got one roc mostly healthy, distracted for a few precious moments, and another about to erupt in a bark-shattering blast of solar force.

What do you do?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Usopp, a lot of things are happening at once and it's all a bit of a blur to you. But here's how it goes down: as the freezing cold sphere leaves your grip, you feel yourself losing your footing and stumbling. You start to fall over the stern just as you see the device hit the roc, covering it in frost. The roc just barely misses colliding with the back of the Heaven and falls like a... well, a rock, down below the Cloudsea. There is no explosion. Just as you start to fall, you see the ship's resident Solaspon swing in on a harness, ready to save you... but not that well.

Luka, you grab Usopp just as he tumbles over the side of the ship, but your harness snags the rail at the back of the aft deck--now you're dangling from the back of the ship, holding on to Usopp, both of you being lashed around as the Captain directs the ship into the borehole.

Jerret, the roc finishes with the lizard just in time to turn its attention to you--and your cannons charge just in time to blast it right in its feathery face. You see it recoil from the arcing energy, crying out in pain, assuming it can feel pain anymore, just as a sail comes out of nowhere, envelops it, and sends it tumbling downward to its inevitable doom. (Nice work on that one, Captain.)

The Heaven is now "safely" inside the borehole. You can all see a faint light on the other end of it, but there are vines and wooden protrusions to maneuver past on the way, and the ship is slowing down without Sola's rays directly on its sails. In fact, you're coming up on a pretty big spike of wood right in your path, and it's going to be a damned tight fit to get by it without knocking off one of the Heaven's masts.

So, the situation:
  • As far as you can all tell, the rocs are dealt with. Nice! How about you all mark 1 XP for getting through that one.
  • Not everyone's out of danger, though. Usopp and Luka are dangling from the back of the Heaven, which is a precarious spot to be in as the ship maneuvers through a pretty tight borehole.
  • It's not going to be easy to maneuver through this narrow hole, and you have no idea what's on the other side of it. Plus, you have a limited time before the ship stops due to a lack of solar power (unless you have a suncrystal around).
What do you do?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have no idea what's going on with Usopp and Luka right now! So far, the Captain has sent crew to help them, Jerret has grabbed Usopp, and Usopp has fed Luka a device that will allow Luka to boost them all back onto the ship. We could let all of those things happen but it will result in a hilarious mess and also doesn't make a ton of narrative sense--why would Luka need a boost if Jerret is boosting them, and why would Jerret need to boost them if they're already being helped up by the crew? Before I respond, would you mind working out the order of events here and/or what's going on?

To clarify: there's some urgency here. The big wooden spur is coming up quick, quick enough that the Captain is going to have to do some fancy piloting (read: a roll) to get the ship past it, and said fancy piloting may make it more difficult for Usopp and Luka to maintain their grip or climb back on board. Gett, why don't you describe your piloting and make your roll, then we'll work out what's going on with the dangling duo.

Usopp, for the sake of expedience, the device Bud-E hands you to feed to Luka is a small canister with some sinister-looking writing on the side of it that you can't fully read, being that it's written in a dead language. Bud-E has indicated to you that it means something along the lines of "do not expose to flame" and that actually opening the canister after this much time would be... inadvisable.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 15, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

^ Got it. I'll have a real GM post shortly!

Error 404 posted:

my read of the situation is this:
The crew is hauling on Luka's rope to bring them up
Luka is holding Usopp, but losing their grip due to weight.
My intention was to grab Usopp and fly him to the deck as the crew finishes hauling Luka up.

If that's how it is, then Usopp probably doesn't need to feed Luka any sort of device. If he wants to, though, and Luka still wants to blow up, that could lead to some amusing things and I'm all for it. (It may even work out in your favor.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

An exceptional maneuver, Captain! The Heaven seems to leap to your command, deftly avoiding the huge wooden spur, and by sheer bloody stupid luck it doesn't even snag a mast on one of the massive vines in your path. By Sola, this ship's going to make it.

Not quite as sure about the rest of the crew. Jerret, you're able to deftly snag Usopp from his perilous predicament, just as the Heaven's crew drags Luka on board (who seems to be yelling something about blowing stuff up, who knows with that guy). Slight issue, though: as Luka bicycle-kicks vines out of the way with his flaming limbs, your suit's boosters catch a bit of that flame and the reaction sends you and Usopp launching forward, past the Heaven, through various vines, and finally out into a huge hollow where the borehole opens up, where you come to a stop skidding along a dust-covered floor of petrified wood.

Wait. Couple things.

1. Usopp, Jerret dropped you! Well, actually, you got snagged on a vine as he rocketed forward, and now you're just sitting there. It's stable, but he's like a hundred yards ahead of you in some big, dark hollow you can barely make out, and the ship is even further behind you. You're a bit stranded. Oh, and one other thing: you can see some... are those spider webs above you? Really big, thick strands. You're pretty sure that's the hollowed-out husk of a massive woodeworm, too. What could be big enough to suck all the juices out of something like that, I wonder?

2. Jerret: wait, a big hollow? It's dark, but you can see some faint bluish glowing points out in the distance, like the petrified wood itself is bioluminescent--or are those creatures? The points aren't moving, but you can never be quite sure. You can't see far enough back to see where you lost Usopp, or even see the Heaven, but you can make out that you're in a gigantic cave inside the World Tree itself.

As for those of you on the Heaven: you saw Jerret and Usopp rocket forward on Luka's flames and disappear into the darkness. There are still vines ahead of you, but if you fly carefully they shouldn't be too tough to avoid (read: no need for another piloting roll). You're losing quite a lot of speed, though, and there's not enough room to turn the ship around and head back out into the light. You're going to have to land, eventually, unless you have some source of solar light to propel you forward.

What do you do?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wanted to respond to this right away.

Luka, as you cast your searchlight around the borehole, you can make out what looks like a massive, dead woodeworm suspended up high far in the distance. And another shape above it--it's not as clear--moving just a little bit. That must be Usopp! And he looks like he might even be injured, with that weird, not-quite-right way he's moving!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Just want to chime in: at the moment, you don't actually know where Usopp is. Luka failed his Discern Realities roll and found something that is not Usopp, but that (due to his failure) he assumes is Usopp. Nobody else has done anything that has revealed Usopp's actual location yet. It's possible that the Captain's roll might give that answer, but that hasn't happened yet.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

First, some answers:

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Discern Realities (With aid of the crew): 2d6+3 7

What should I be on the lookout for?

The first thing you notice, Captain, is the distinct net-like shape of the massive spider web near where Usopp disappeared. It's like both ends of it are hanging from something, and it's swaying ever so slightly. You've heard of spiders that use their webs like nets--it's possible that this one isn't so stationary.

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Discern Realities +WIS: 2d6+1 13 Apparanlty Cy is on the ball today. One shoting lightning birds and looking at all the things.
- What should I be on the lookout for?
- What is about to happen?
- What here is not what it appears to be?

Cy, your observations match the Captain's: that web isn't stationary. In fact, the two branches of the tree that it appears to be hanging from are not what they appear to be: they're two massive front legs of an even larger creature that you recognize as a rare lower woodcave spider, which you should very much be on the lookout for. As to what is about to happen? Well, your time-enhanced perception let you notice something when Luka swept that searchlight around: Usopp is there, on a vine, just below that spider's net (in fact, dangerously close), but the spider doesn't seem to care about him. In fact, its huge eyes are focused right on the Black Heaven.

Error 404 posted:

Wondering what I know about glowing things in the Deep Tree.
Spout Lore 8

Jerret, some of that glowing is a phenomenon you've seen before, or maybe read about, where the magic suffusing the World Tree seems to glow at certain spots. It's not any more concentrated, or all that useful, but it sure does look neat. It also provides camouflage for some bioluminescent animals who mimic that glow, which you seem to recall some species of giant lower-tree woodeworms do. You can't quite tell if some of the spots are moving or not.

---

Now, for the rest.

Usopp, you don't have to wait long to find out how long until whatever made that web comes back. That's largely because it's still there, hanging onto the web, and can see it quite clearly now. It's an amazingly huge spider, almost as big as the Black Heaven, and it seems to be preparing its net for something large that it wants to catch.

Also? Try not to be so clumsy. You tripped, stumbled, and touched the web. Now your left arm is stuck to it. And you can feel yourself being lifted up as the beast readies its very sticky net to catch something.

Incidentally, Luka, perhaps you should be more careful with the flame. That uncontrolled flare-up might not have caused any damage, but you can see something very large moving in the distance, about where the Captain and Cy are looking. It may have suspected the ship was there before, but you just caught its attention.

So, to recap:
  • Usopp, you're stuck to the spider's net.
  • Captain Gett, you're aware of the spider's presence and that it uses its web as a net.
  • Cy, you saw Usopp very close to the net when Luka swept the searchlight over the area, and you definitely saw the spider, but it was dark again when Usopp got himself caught.
  • Luka just hastened the spider's attack. It's on the move and those close to it (or attached to it) can feel it.
  • Jerret, you're still in the hollow, surrounded by little glowing points, some of which could very well be bioluminescence from a huge creature of some sort.
What do you do?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

edit: To clarify our relation to one another, the Black Heaven is in the enormous cavern that the borehole opened up into, with the spider high on the wall/ceiling and Roarke on the floor, right? Or have I been misreading this?

The Black Heaven is in the borehole itself, having not yet made it to the enormous cavern. The spider (with captured Usopp) is on a large vine between the Heaven and the cavern. Roarke is on the floor of the cavern.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Discern Realities: 2d6+2 10

Gett is trying to see if Luka is lying or not, so:
Who’s really in control here?
What here is not what it appears to be
?
and What here is useful or valuable to me? I guess?

Captain, you've been interefed with! Your 10 is now an 8. Which of these questions would you like Luka to answer?

---

As for everything else that's happening:

There's a lot going on to distract this spider. I'm starting to feel sorry for the big lug. First, the flares that Captain Gett had Mr. Three-Dooms fire fly right into the spider's face (they're very bright, Usopp and Cy), and it stops its charge, backpedaling quickly--which is just enough to make Luka's cannon fire miss.

That cannonball, by the way, flies right past you, Jerret. Your thrusters seem to be struggling against the draft coming through the borehole, slowing you down, which is probably a good thing, or you would've taken Luka's cannonball to the face. Instead, the cannonball hits a wood spur, dislodging a giant vine, which swings towards you, about to slam right into your back.

Usopp: yeah, you went and got yourself more entangled in the web, just in time for Cy to appear (out of nowhere--how does that guy do it?). The spider hasn't noticed you yet, but that doesn't seem to be saving you. The sheer volume of stimuli is sending the thing into a panic--it had no idea what sort of machinery it was picking a fight with--and it flings the web around. Usopp, you get slammed against a vine for 6 damage (1d8+1, -1 for Armor), and you're pretty much all wrapped up in the web. Cy, you're right in the path to get tangled up in the web with Usopp--you're going to have to Defy Danger in some way to avoid it.

What the hell do you do?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sorry for the slowness. Post incoming tomorrow!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Everything going on around the spider's net-web is utter chaos. Let's break it down:
  • Cy, you're able to deftly weave your body through the net, which would be extremely impressive if anyone could actually see you do it, you quick bastard. But you didn't do it perfectly, and now your sword is stuck to it, flat-side on. You're either going to have to let go, or you're along for the ride until you can free yourself. Speaking of the ride...
  • ...Luka, your cannon fire, combined with the flares launched by Captain Gett, sends the spider into a bit of a panic. It shrinks back, apparently trying to retreat up the vines, bringing anyone stuck to the web up with it. At the same time, the flames, answering your call, burn the net away from the spider's limbs. It falls--gently, but it still falls.
  • That means that Cy (if he hangs onto his sword) and Usopp are now drifting towards the floor of the borehole, a couple hundred feet below where they are now. The net's tangled up just enough to serve as a good enough parachute that you aren't going to be hurt when you land, but it's going to be tough to get back up if you drift all the way down.

Jerret, you're definitely pretty far out of control. You've avoided the swinging vine (thankfully--that would've hurt!), but your boosters send you careening... right towards the panicking spider. You land on its back, just barely early enough to avoid Luka's cannon fire. It's thrashing around, trying to throw you off and get away from the fire that's crawling all over its massive body--a cornered beast. If it notices you, it'll definitely lash out with its mandibles, and that's gonna hurt.

What do you do?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Just bumping and quoting this from the previous page in case anyone missed it.

Harrow posted:

Everything going on around the spider's net-web is utter chaos. Let's break it down:
  • Cy, you're able to deftly weave your body through the net, which would be extremely impressive if anyone could actually see you do it, you quick bastard. But you didn't do it perfectly, and now your sword is stuck to it, flat-side on. You're either going to have to let go, or you're along for the ride until you can free yourself. Speaking of the ride...
  • ...Luka, your cannon fire, combined with the flares launched by Captain Gett, sends the spider into a bit of a panic. It shrinks back, apparently trying to retreat up the vines, bringing anyone stuck to the web up with it. At the same time, the flames, answering your call, burn the net away from the spider's limbs. It falls--gently, but it still falls.
  • That means that Cy (if he hangs onto his sword) and Usopp are now drifting towards the floor of the borehole, a couple hundred feet below where they are now. The net's tangled up just enough to serve as a good enough parachute that you aren't going to be hurt when you land, but it's going to be tough to get back up if you drift all the way down.

Jerret, you're definitely pretty far out of control. You've avoided the swinging vine (thankfully--that would've hurt!), but your boosters send you careening... right towards the panicking spider. You land on its back, just barely early enough to avoid Luka's cannon fire. It's thrashing around, trying to throw you off and get away from the fire that's crawling all over its massive body--a cornered beast. If it notices you, it'll definitely lash out with its mandibles, and that's gonna hurt.

What do you do?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

No worries. I can sympathize with free time-eating job situations.

slydingdoor, you out there?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cannons and flame, flame and cannons--under a hail of fire and... fire, the spider retreats further up a fine, twitching and contorting in its arachnid expressions of pain. Jerret, your final few blasts into the burning beast land squarely in its eyes, and the huge spider starts curling into itself, then falls off the vine. It's dead.

And, in a way, it's taking you with it, Jerret. The combination of your clumsy dodge and the recoil from your etheric cannons sends you flying backwards and down, where you end up caught in the same net that Usopp is. The combined weight of the two of you overpowers the net's ability to work as a parachute and you start to plummet. The floor is coming up mighty fast--sweet death at the bottom of a borehole--but at the last second, Captain Gett's grapnels catch onto the net, stopping your descent suddenly. It wasn't a perfect catch, though--the sudden stop causes the net to break. Jerret, you're attached to the part that the grapnel managed to keep hold of.

Usopp, you're still falling, and with a smaller (and less effective) parachute, but at least you don't have Jerret's heavy suit dragging you down. You feel Bud-E scrambling over your shoulder and digging in your pack. Finally, it hands you a little gadget that it looks like it cobbled together on its own--it's like three fan blades attached to a hand crank. It'll create a pretty nice updraft and probably let you ascend, but it's not going to hold together long (consumable) and its parts certainly weren't intended to be used for this.

Cy, on the way down, your slowed perception notices a nice, sharp piece of wood sticking out of one of the spurs on the inside of this huge borehole cave you're in. It'd make a decent cutting device, though now you're faced with either freeing Jerret (who's hanging from the ship's grapnel) or Usopp (who seems to be holding some sort of device that might let him get back up on his own).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ratpick posted:

Right, given that I'm thinking there definitely is something I need to roll. What's the move for finding out whether a makeshift handheld fan can support the weight of me, Bud-E, my collection and Jerret and his armor?

That's a toughie. Maybe go with a Defy Danger with INT? Like, you're rolling to see if this device was put together cleverly enough to support both of your weights. Granted, Bud-E put it together in the fiction I wrote, but that was a bit arbitrary, so you can go ahead and use your own INT instead of Bud-E's non-existent stats.

Once you roll that I'll write up a full GM post.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GM post coming soon! Sorry, I've been working all weekend and couldn't face having to actually think about things and then type them. Check back later today!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So, here's how it goes: Jerret, you didn't quite extricate yourself perfectly from the webbing, so your flight to Usopp was troubled. Seriously, you've gotta get those jets checked out. Anyway, you grab onto him, but your momentum pulls both of you down a little bit more than you'd want to, and you're swinging pretty wildly.

You're both already off-course, swinging wildly in mid-air, when Usopp fires up his strange little device. Usopp, it's not quite strong enough to send you upwards in a straight line, but you're making progress. Unfortunately, the uneven weight distribution and Jerret's initial momentum means you're swinging through the air, and about to slam right into a huge wooden spur. Luckily for you, Jerret is there to take the blow when you slam into the rock-hard outcropping. Jerret, take 2 damage (4, -2 for Armor) or mark Stress on your suit, your choice.

Luckily, after that unpleasant interaction with the tree, you manage to safely deposit both yourself and Jerret on the vine where Cy is perched. You're still stuck to a web, but at least there's something (mostly) solid under you.

Captain Gett, as to what you should be on the lookout for? Well, you're close enough to the big cavern at the end of the borehole now to see the little specks of bioluminescence that Jerret saw earlier. You also notice that some of them are moving, like they're attached to something very large that just woke up from all the commotion.

What do you do?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

"What was that story about? Spout Lore: 2d6 8

You were drunk when you heard that story. I mean, of course you were. When else do you exchange stories with other sailors of the skies?

But here's what you recall: the person who told you about it, this tuugak captain, I think her name was Hohj or something, mentioned that the shine she got from chasing after moving lights in a cavern was more than enough to buy her the new ship she needed after getting out of there.

So.

Do with that as you will.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Want me to roll anything to try and retrieve my sword?

Nah, you got it. It's just hanging there, and we've established that Cy has little trouble navigating these vines without something getting in the way.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

slydingdoor posted:

Wait, no one knows what those are? Well then. If they have anything to do with fire or Sola, I'll know. Or if they have nothing to do with those things either, by process of elimination, which I don't need to do after eating because I burn everything completely.

Spout Lore (wisps): 2d6+1 7

The color of these moving lights is nothing like something born of Sola--or, if it is, it's spent so long living inside something else that it's taken on a pale green color instead of Sola's brilliant gold. All the lights seem to move together, not in unison, but like they're attached to segments of a whole.

Ratpick posted:

Usopp dives into his collection in silence, looking for something to power the engines with...

Knowing what you know about solar machinery, you know nothing's going to do much good except for a good dose of Sola's light, and nothing in your bag has a sunstone nearly large enough to give the ship the jolt it's going to need to get out of the borehole.

You do, however, notice a rather intense focusing lens. You've seen one like this used before--it can take Sola's light and focus it to such a fine point as to burn a hole right clear through a plank of wood in minutes. It might be able to focus a different light source to give a jump to a sunstone, but it won't work unless you have a light source available and it's going to take some time to use properly (while you wait for the sunstone to charge).

Error 404 posted:

Some time later, freshly showered, shaved and boozed, I stand before the great banks of Sunstones in the Enginarium, row after row of steadily darkening crystal, brass valves and copper wiring.
I set down my toolbox on a nearby workbench, and get to work. Tracing connections, mapping the wiring scheme, sketching out areas to improve, or alter. Hours pass like a minute as I lose myself in the work.
Let Me See That
What does this do?
What’s wrong with this, and how might I fix it?

What's wrong with it is it's out of juice, and how you fix it is get it some more juice.

As you trace the wiring scheme, though, you notice that it's wired pretty efficiently. With your mechanical knowhow, you manage to find the "nexus" of the whole machine--the one sunstone that, if you can fill it with enough light, can jumpstart the whole array, at least enough to get you out of there. It's that little one, in the center, where all the wires seem to cross.

If only you had something that could produce sunlight...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Error 404 posted:

Well, I'm pretty sure my Aetheric energy comes from the same "place" that Sola's energy does. So maybe I can wire my suit into it?

Worth a shot! It'd be kind of a jury-rig situation--the crystals are designed to absorb energy directly from Sola's light, so you'd have to rig some sort of "adapter" I'd think to let them "accept" Aetheric energy as a short-term substitute. Nothing a mechanical genius can't handle, I wouldn't think.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm still here! Work deadlines and Fallout 4 coming at the same time is a hell of a drug. I'll have a post soon!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So, to clarify what's happening:
  • Jerret has powered up the ship with his engineering genius (with a drawback or two, naturally).
  • Captain Gett intends to keep the ship on its current bearing into the cavern with the glowy things.
  • Cy is dangerously close and checking out what could be out there in the darkness
Do I have that right? Especially on the ship's bearing. I'll GM post (for real this time) once that's confirmed!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bumping to check in with Cap'n Gett and Cy.

Sorry for the delays in posting--been a busy couple of weeks. You can look forward to at least two or three posts a week from now on, once we get this one off the ground.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On deck, you can all feel a sharp jolt as the ship's engines suddenly spring to life.

Jerret, from your perspective, things seem to be mostly working as intended. Mostly. You can already tell that you might have shot a bit too much etheric juice into this thing's crystal array--a few of the peripheral crystals are already starting to crack. This'll power the ship for a decent amount of time, but if you all push too hard, the cracked crystals might just burst and spill etheric energy all over the engine room. If you've ever seen an uncontrolled ether leak, you'd know this probably isn't a great thing.

At Captain Gett's orders, the Heaven continues forward toward the dark hollow. The ship isn't flying as smoothly as you'd like, but it's going, and as long as you don't punch it too hard, you should be fine.

slydingdoor posted:

Discern Realities: 2d6+2 9

What should I be on the lookout for?

The closer you get, Luka, the more you can tell the lights are moving, and they're moving together. They're either schooling cloudfish (unlikely) or all part of one organism. Once you shine the spotlight into the hollow, there's no more doubt:

This is an absolutely giant worm. Its hide, or skin, or chitin, or something looks like it's flecked with shards of green shine, if something like that existed. (And if something like that existed, oh boy, would that be a rare and wonderful find!) It's not clear if this is the worm that made the borehole you flew in on--if anything, the borehole seems a bit small. Maybe someone knowledgeable in the tree's fauna would know what this thing is called.

The worm is also pretty quick--quicker than you were expecting, Cy. A tendril from its side darts out, wrapping around your middle and pinning your left arm. You could barely see anything before it hit you but a blur of green and the glow of Luka's spotlight, but now it's pulling you into the hollow, squeezing as if to crush.

What do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sorry for the Thanksgiving delay everyone. Ratpick, do you want to do an Usopp post before I GM post?

• Locked thread