Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
There are hundreds of elected offices in the American government that get replaced every two years (and in many cases, every one year).

There is only one job in the American government that requires you to be chosen by the entire nation. That job is the President.

This means that outside of this one part of the ballot, which only ever happens every other major election, your vote is instead tallied among thousands (as is the case of local jobs, like city councilman or sheriff) or tens of thousands (as is the case of state jobs, like DA or senator). The majority of these elected offices, year-by-year, are decided by less than a few hundred votes. Especially on the local level.

Therefore when you refuse to vote because your "vote doesn't matter", you are a huge retard because you're focusing only on the only job that demands the participation of the entire country and ignoring the hundreds and hundreds of other jobs that are decided often by a difference of a few hundred votes.

QED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

my vote doesn't matter

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I can vote in canada and the US and let me tell you boy my vote doesn't matter

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Baloogan posted:

Now you know what you must do: vote for both Harper and Bush, bring about the end times

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
also remember that not voting does not in anyway absolve you of the crimes committed by the nation in which you reside and participate.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Wheeee posted:

Now you know what you must do: vote for both Harper and Bush, bring about the end times

Trump / Write in Trump.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I'm always skeptical of people who put more effort into yelling at people who don't vote to vote than they do considering the reasons that lead people towards not voting and doing something to address them.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

im going to be in texas for the next election and my vote doesnt matter

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

full communism now

tear down the sham that is bourgeois "democracy" and replace it with workers councils

execute all counter revolutionaries

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Angepain posted:

I'm always skeptical of people who put more effort into yelling at people who don't vote to vote than they do considering the reasons that lead people towards not voting and doing something to address them.

Voting should be mandatory. No one should be able to say "whatever lol, not my pres, I didn't vote" like idiot leftists did in 2004.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

TEAYCHES posted:

full communism now

tear down the sham that is bourgeois "democracy" and replace it with workers councils

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

TEAYCHES posted:

full communism now

syndicalism4lyfe

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006
I find it interesting that people who think their vote matters conflate "large numbers of people who don't vote could sway an election" with "my individual vote could sway an election" and don't see the difference or refuse to see the difference because it's convenient for their argument.

Your vote doesn't matter but a large enough grouping does. Start arguing for that because it's actually true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amd1mkHEwDg

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
OP is a portuguese dota pro from games who has never heard of the electoral college trying to lecture stupid americans about voting.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Love Stole the Day posted:

There are hundreds of elected offices in the American government that get replaced every two years (and in many cases, every one year).

There is only one job in the American government that requires you to be chosen by the entire nation. That job is the President.

This means that outside of this one part of the ballot, which only ever happens every other major election, your vote is instead tallied among thousands (as is the case of local jobs, like city councilman or sheriff) or tens of thousands (as is the case of state jobs, like DA or senator). The majority of these elected offices, year-by-year, are decided by less than a few hundred votes. Especially on the local level.

Therefore when you refuse to vote because your "vote doesn't matter", you are a huge retard because you're focusing only on the only job that demands the participation of the entire country and ignoring the hundreds and hundreds of other jobs that are decided often by a difference of a few hundred votes.

QED

You know what they say: voting is for lovers.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
you know what they say about votes, everyone's got one lol!!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i would vote, but existence is meaningless and i want to die most of the time. the sanders fans still need some time to catch up to me.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Angepain posted:

Ignorance and stupidity are not reasons, they are excuses

Love Stole the Day has issued a correction as of 10:25 on Sep 6, 2015

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
Up until this election, voting didn't matter.

Now we may have the opportunity to vote for Donald Trump.

I implore everyone with this "my vote doesn't matter" position to register republican, vote for him in the primaries, and then vote for him in the general election. Not only because he's objectively the best candidate both in terms of policy and in terms of entertainment value, but because a vote for Donald Trump is a middle figure to every moron who told you that voting mattered. It is a way to piss off your "smart" republican dad and all your college SJW friends and Fox news and MSNBC in one fell swoop. Donald Trump is a glorious intermediate step between President Obama and President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You know what they say: voting is for lovers.

Quit trying to steal my state's tag line <:mad:>

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Some people say it's worthless to vote, but I disagree. The problem is people only ever vote for two options, when there are multiple to pick from.

1 and 5 are not the only choices. Please join me in voting 4 on this thread and going hog wild. :patriot:

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
only vote if you're going to vote for bernie sanders
don't bother otherwise sheep

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

what if the establishment held an election.. and no one showed up to vote :cool:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Thump! posted:

Quit trying to steal my state's tag line <:mad:>

I vote to liberate it.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Baloogan posted:

Ted Cruz, is that you?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Fun fact: your vote in the presidential election doesn't matter, for a variety of reasons, but largely because the electoral college elects the presidents.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

A White Guy posted:

Fun fact: your vote in the presidential election doesn't matter, for a variety of reasons, but largely because the electoral college elects the presidents.

Like OP noted, there's tons of non-Presidential races where your vote counts for much more.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

maker posted:

only vote if you're going to vote for Donald "The Trump" Trump
don't bother otherwise sheep

:agreed:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Like OP noted, there's tons of non-Presidential races where your vote counts for much more.

Oh no my city dogcatcher might be a republican *scary music*

tsa has issued a correction as of 20:54 on Sep 6, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Vote for the candidate of your choice, but do so ironically.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

tsa posted:

Oh no my city dogcatcher might be a republican *scary music*

More like your county court judge might have close relations with the local private juvenile prison.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Absurd Alhazred posted:

More like your county court judge might have close relations with the local private juvenile prison.

That's Absurd

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp
Unless one of the elections on the ballot comes down to a single vote, my vote will not matter at all. Whether or not I vote will have no effect on reality at all.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

make election day a federal holiday, make it a crime not to vote, provide improved access to voting centers, write-in voting, and maybe even ~*online voting!!*~ and get rid of laws that keep poor people from voting, and then voting will be good and useful

Until then I'll be super cynical about the whole process

e: oh yeah also fix all the ridiculous gerrymandering tia

the bitcoin of weed has issued a correction as of 23:12 on Sep 6, 2015

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Fullhouse posted:

make it a crime not to vote

ugh

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
its good and cool when people dont vote because it tells you in convenient % form how much of the country hates/doesn't care for all available options

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

its good and cool when people dont vote because it tells you in convenient % form how much of the country hates/doesn't care for all available options

This is a cop-out way of saying "I'm too much of a lazy piece of poo poo to pay attention or even have an opinion."

Refusing to vote for President is one thing, but if you refuse to vote for city council, police sheriff, district attorney, etc for your city/region/state then you are not being all smart and poo poo. You are being a loving retard.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Love Stole the Day posted:

QED

Every local election on my ballot is a single republican running unopposed.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Wulfolme posted:

Every local election on my ballot is a single republican running unopposed.

You are old enough to run against them if you don't like it.

To quote Jon Stewart when his audience boo'ed the Texas Board of Education removing evolution from textbooks: "Well then get your asses in office!"

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
I'll just go ahead and use my unlimited time and money to stand in every race that doesn't already have a candidate i support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Gum posted:

I'll just go ahead and use my unlimited time and money to stand in every race that doesn't already have a candidate i support

I'll vote for you.

• Locked thread