Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Sweet - I get back from a weekend away and see this glorious thread is all setup. Thanks Tyma.

Now to wait for Fiji to cause an upset against the hosts in round one. Making the pool of death even more insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Mister Chief posted:

Where can I see highlights?

Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTrWqhsLxKU

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
According to Twitter: the big story so far is Prince William sang both anthems while Harry only sang along with England's.

yep.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
This is more like it - fight breaking out!

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
One of the new laws being trialled in this game: everytime England scrum they get a penalty.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

HappyCamperGL posted:

It's also a silly argument because even if they did the draw more recently Argentina were outside the top 8 for the last couple of years. Ireland were out the top 8 just two years ago too. Which could have had just as tough a group.

There are enough good teams that groups of death are likely. This is a good thing as it comes from there being more competitive teams.

Even if you just took the teams playing in the top two test competitions (six nations and rugby championship) you have 10 teams. Obviously that does not go into 8 quarter final spots and, if there is an upset by a lower tier nation (think Fiji knocking out Wales in 2007 pool play) you will only end up with 7 from that top pool of teams.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Great - now all of New Zealand will be nervous leading up to this weekend. I expect productivity to drop massively across all sectors due to large amounts of fidgeting, nail-biting, and deep inhalation of breath for the rest of the week.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Okay - going to bed and set my alarm for 1am - this game better be worth my unproductive day at work.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

tentish klown posted:

No, not for national teams you can't. You can't support the All Blacks 'because they're good' - they're a national side. You support the country you're from, and you're allowed to have secondary allegiances if you have familial connections to those other countries. But there's no way in hell someone from the US is allowed to support the All Blacks. Otherwise you're allowed to 'prefer' teams but you can't support them.
You *can* support the Crusaders 'because they're good'. It makes you a dick, but you can do it.

Is this for real? Because you are more than welcome to support another side or multiple sides for whatever reason.

Heck support the All Blacks if you like them - it is a bit cliche to choose the number 1 ranked team in a given sport but you are allowed to.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
I'll do my rankings:

1) All Blacks
2) Whenever a Pacific Island team (Tonga, Fiji, Samoa) is playing anyone else.
3) Argentina

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Unimpressed posted:

Besides, my understanding is that he couldn't go to TMO and that the WR statement was that he made a wrong decision, not that he should have gone to TMO (could be wrong about this, haven't actually read their statement). So basically, they're publicly criticising him for making a mistake that needed 15 video viewings to determine.

He did make the wrong call but he actually could not go to the TMO for that sort of decision. The TMO is only allowed for confirming if points are scored (kicks go over or tries are properly grounded), if the lead-up to tries are legitimate (up to two phases back), and to check on foul play.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Vaders Jester posted:

Do you actually think World Rugby give a flying gently caress about Scotland or the SRU or any kind of pressure that you think the SRU able to exert on them.

Scotland are one of the eight foundational unions and, as such, have quite a bit of power. More than, say, Argentina or Japan. They also were the NH team that were prevented from going through to the semis due to a bad call so some of the other foundational unions might take up their cause.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Aramoro posted:

I'm going to be supporting the Puma's in the Semis.

If my team was eliminated I would go for them. In a final I would either go for the All Blacks or, if they weren't in it, whoever hadn't won the cup before (if that was an option).

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Schlesische posted:

In the event of an Australia SA Final which glass do you break?

That is a tough one. I would probably go for the team I felt was more deserving in a given tournament. However for that final to happen in this world cup I would be very annoyed at SA (because they would have eliminated NZ) so I might go for Australia out of spite.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
One interesting thing about McCaw’s playing style is that when he wears red and black colours he cheats all the time; he plays off his feet, grabs ball he isn’t entitled to, and is constantly offside. When he wears the black jersey he is transformed into a great player who is unfairly penalised because the refs can’t comprehend his speed and skill at the breakdown. I am not the only New Zealander who has noticed this.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
I enjoyed that WC final more than any other I have watched. Both teams should pat themselves on the back for the way they played.

It is true that NZ has a good production line of players but I think we have seen an exceptional group in the last ten years that may never be matched again.

Also: I am assuming the Australian Rugby union will do the smart thing and keep Cheika on-board until the next RWC - they have improved massively under him and are back to playing a more exciting brand of rugby.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
You would think England should have a bunch of decent young players either in their squad or close to making it. Considering they were winners of the under 20 world Cup in 2013 and 2014 plus the runner up this year. I have no idea if these players are doing well in, or playing, as professionals but you would hope a few contracts were signed.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Swan Curry posted:

Ah now, mauls are great. Driving mauls aren't the problem, indisciplined packs being unable to defend against them are.

The Maul does break the obstruction rule.

To fix it the solution is simple (IMO): Throw out the current rules around mauls and replace it with one that says the maul is legal as long as the player holding the ball remains at the front. This would conform with the other rules of the game while still allowing the for a maul to be formed and retaining the contest for the ball.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Okay - can the Blues get their first away win in two years (or so)?

Lets find out...

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

hitchensgoespop posted:

After 6 or so weeks of six nations rugby. This reds blues game is like watching some sort of wizard rugby. It's making me queasy and tired.

Both teams are playing quite high risk attack at the moment too.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
So the Reds have a poo poo line-out and the Blues can't scrum. That is the story of the first half.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Unimpressed posted:

I'll say it. Two bad teams.

I don't know about "bad" - but certainly not clever.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
^^^Scratch that. I don't about "two" bad teams - but cetainly one is.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
The real question: How the hell did the Blues beat the Highlanders in their opening match?

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Please continue to update us.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
The Highlanders managed to get a scrum penalty despite having 7 men in the forwards due to a yellow card; the Crusaders must be demoralised.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Well I got my tickets ready for the 1st test at Eden park - while I don't like to count my chickens I do think the English tour of Australia is ultimately more intriguing.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
In New Zealand we are excited about Steve Hansen resigning until 2019. The rest of the rugby world should be worried about the continued domination for another world cup cycle.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11680866

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Giving the ball to Ben Smith is a terrible decision that teams just continue to make.

It seems like an inability to recognize the threat Smith poses. Essentially it becomes the equivalent of handing the opposition the ball 10 to 15 meters in front of the initial kick (closer if no one bothered to chase the kick too closely). The idea that kicking it away is the best tactic is too ingrained in players and coaches so that they don't know how to adapt.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Expect Ardie Savea to be put on around the 60 minute mark and be asked to wreck the Australian defense. The idea of impact players isn't popular in many quarters but he is one player built to do just that. Who Savea replaces is what intrigues me.

ElectroMagneticJosh fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 18, 2016

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Vagabundo posted:

he clearly gets rattled by a crowd.

And the NZ rugby fans know this and will keep exploiting it until he gets over it. Which isn't going to happen.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Argentina beat SA in a very close and quite brutal game. Their third win since joining the Rugby Championship.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Ewar Woowar posted:

If you want to ban him for recklessness then I guess I could understand it but it sets a pretty crazy precedent.

Yeah - it could spell the end of fending if you want to take that route.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Looking at their schedule ahead I wonder how far the All Blacks winning streak can go. If they beat Australia at Eden Park, which is very likely, then they should be able to finish the year off having won all their games. If anyone does manage to halt their progress it would be a major upset. So they could, very likely, be heading into the Lions series before they lose a match.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

The Rabbi T. White posted:

They've been thrown together at the last minute, so there is every possibility that they won't be very cohesive.
In saying that, there are a few players in that squad that are prone to individual brilliance, so it may not matter.

That backline alone looks very dangerous - I would say West is the weakest link there. He strikes me as a player who has the rare weakness of having a better head for the game than his skills allow for.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
I was watching with some other Rugby heads and we all thought that Ireland are the first team to work out that kicking the ball away to the All Blacks is a bad tactic but, when you do have to kick, chase the gently caress out of it. I am not saying that was the only thing they did right but it certainly helped.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
The Italians employ a legal but dangerous tactic to throw England off balance. Good for them.

The fact that England didn't bother with the basic pick and go until the second half is the real scandal.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Holy poo poo.

Blues vs Crusaders first half sees the Blues way out in front.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Nothing to worry about - the Crusaders are smashing the Blues with rolling mauls (and a dubious try in Christchurch).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Obstruction? Looked like tackled without the ball to me...

Edit: Doesn't matter anyway

ElectroMagneticJosh fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 17, 2017