Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Discords function better with as few people in them as possible, which is why it's actively desirable for discords to be fairly specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Yeah, discord is loving great and I love it but for all the good it has it can't be a replacement for a huge forum like SA.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Can’t effortpost on discord really. It’s just a chat group.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

YF-23 posted:

Yeah, discord is loving great and I love it but for all the good it has it can't be a replacement for a huge forum like SA.
Agree 100%. I like it when I can easily keep with or catch up without too much work; discords that have too many people have too much going on and I end up ignoring them entirely.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Mans posted:

why are people making so many loving discords instead of just joining one or two

Because if you join an existing discord instead of starting your own then you don't get to be the internet boss.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

YF-23 posted:

:yossame:

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
If you want a forum and not a discord there is breadnroses.net

Right now they are approving goons so you don't have to pay the $10 sign up fee.

And there is already a paradox thread in the games forum!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Demon_Corsair posted:

Right now they are approving goons so you don't have to pay the $10 sign up fee.

Yeah but the UI is terrible. Bright loving red for the welcome post? Seriously? I think I would rather go on the PDX forums to talk about Paradox games.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah but the UI is terrible. Bright loving red for the welcome post? Seriously? I think I would rather go on the PDX forums to talk about Paradox games.

set it to dark minimalist in the forum display change thing. Which I forgot used to be a common forums feature.

Also never go to the Paradox forums, you will regret it. Reddit is ok if you must.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

set it to dark minimalist in the forum display change thing. Which I forgot used to be a common forums feature.

Also never go to the Paradox forums, you will regret it. Reddit is ok if you must.
Ah, handy. Yeah I'm probably going to go ahead and sign up if its free right now because Paradox forums are a cesspit and Reddit's formatting will never not confuse me.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Do you need an invite code to sign up for free?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Right now BnR is free even without an invite, just make an account and leave it alone when you hit the paywall screen. Someone will get around to manually approving you eventually, there's just a lot of refugees to work through.

If you want in ASAP or want to give them money then just pay the :10bux: but it's not required rn.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Crazycryodude posted:

Right now BnR is free even without an invite, just make an account and leave it alone when you hit the paywall screen. Someone will get around to manually approving you eventually, there's just a lot of refugees to work through.

If you want in ASAP or want to give them money then just pay the :10bux: but it's not required rn.

They have gone from something like 600 users before yesterday to over 5000 today. I think there are only 3 people approving accounts.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I'm sure nobody here needs a link to another off site

but in case you want to look for people to play paradox games with who aren't Nazis here is a decent if young discord server:

https://discord.gg/xy2wEd

edit: they also like chess and checkers!

Squalid fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 25, 2020

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Squalid posted:

I'm sure nobody here needs a link to another off site

but in case you want to look for people to play paradox games with who aren't Nazis here is a decent if young discord server:

https://discord.gg/xy2wEd

edit: they also like chess and checkers!

The big banner of Hitler on the invite link does not make me want to join this server.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Athaboros posted:

The big banner of Hitler on the invite link does not make me want to join this server.

its a honeypot, the owner loves arguing with wehraboos for some reason. He's actually a lib-dem british sikh. it's mostly active GMT time.

it is almost all teens though and i only posted this link because the server owner asked me to leach from the dying gay forum. it definitely isn't a replacement for Something Awful community discords.

edit: i just checked on what was up with the banner and it was apparently a troll on the admin. Now it should be Sherman.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 25, 2020

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Crazycryodude posted:

Based on what they’ve written in cspam paying doesn’t give you access faster.

Squalid posted:

its a honeypot, the owner loves arguing with wehraboos for some reason. He's actually a lib-dem british sikh. it's mostly active GMT time.
The lib-dem bit is a huge piss stained flag.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The lib-dem bit is a huge piss stained flag.

fortunately he's too young to vote

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

fuf posted:

If they did this then Paradox would have to move away from a map striated by static provinces to a map based on smooth space. Which would be really cool but hard for them to do because provinces are such an ingrained part of all their games.

Eh, the provinces in the colonisable parts of the map in EU are all arbitrary (or linked to later historical developments if using the real-world map). There's no reason they couldn't just set up a node-based map with "regions" instead of "provinces", especially since there are obvious subdivisions around existing city-states, natural resources, etc.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Squalid posted:

fortunately he's too young to vote

This is just getting worse and worse

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm sure the kid means well, but I'm just not gonna join a discord run by a literal child. I'll take my chances with the mapgoons. They don't seem to be doing weird poo poo to invite drama for no reason.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wow impressive levels of self ownage going on here

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Demon_Corsair posted:

holy smokes that place looks cri he as gently caress though

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Wait is the forum actually dying? I can't be bothered to follow the drama.

Edit: If it actually is then I suggest Quarter to Three (https://forum.quartertothree.com/) or an offshoot of that forum called Broken Forum (https://brokenforum.com/index.php). Last one was set up by Lum that created this thread. They have a similar format where the games are discussed in seperate megathreads. Though both of those forums are less active.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 30, 2020

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Hryme posted:

Wait is the forum actually dying? I can't be bothered to follow the drama.

Edit: If it actually is then I suggest Quarter to Three (https://forum.quartertothree.com/) or an offshoot of that forum called Broken Forum (https://brokenforum.com/index.php). Last one was set up by Lum that created this thread. They have a similar format where the games are discussed in seperate megathreads. Though both of those forums are less active.

A lot of people decided they wanted Lowtax gone after his lastest bout of domestic violence, and there was a risk he would either get pissy about it and delete the forums, or that he would refuse to leave and that a lot of the community would leave instead.

The mods and admins seem to have (fingers crossed) arranged to take over the site and remove Lowtax though so for now, things seem to be ok.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Another new studio, this one a mobile acquisition.

The Stellaris mobile game was being done by a third party right? Maybe this will help bring that or future efforts in-house.

https://twitter.com/PdxInteractive/status/1278690319597477888

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mapgoons is very well moderated, has channels for everything imaginable and they're currently playing a groggy waterloo game that i can't comprehend but i love to see goons play :unsmith:

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

What is a mapgoons?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Minenfeld! posted:

What is a mapgoons?

precious

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mans posted:

Mapgoons is very well moderated, has channels for everything imaginable and they're currently playing a groggy waterloo game that i can't comprehend but i love to see goons play :unsmith:

counterpoint: mapgoons is also playing blood bowl, which no sensible person should play ever

mapgoons is good anyway though

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Mans posted:

you should play it with us, because it is good.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Cease to Hope posted:

counterpoint: mapgoons is also playing blood bowl, which no sensible person should play ever

mapgoons is good anyway though

Look we've been over this: a grid is technically a map, this falls well within our purview

Mapgoons is a terrible place but I can promise that almost no moderation is done by children

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Anyway Mapgoons discord is good and you should join it.

Unless you're the 11th person to click that I guess. I didn't want to leave a permanent link laying around since I'm not, like, a mod there.

Nazis aren't welcome though.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Late to the party but: invite is now dead.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
https://discord.gg/zzEMtc

This will expire after a day, or after 10 uses, whichever comes first.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://twitter.com/Arumba07/status/1285305412569505801

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
You're telling me I don't have to scroll past poo poo youtubers like Arumba when looking for what the new paradox game looks like anymore? Nice.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Wooper posted:

You're telling me I don't have to scroll past poo poo youtubers like Arumba when looking for what the new paradox game looks like anymore? Nice.

tbh I always kinda thought he sucked and hes always super passive aggressive about everything

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

I'm not really buying it. That's not to say I don't think Paradox might have been assholes about something but considering how he acted when the EU4 Castle LAN thing went down, I reckon there's way more behind this than that one video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i still laugh when i remember the time he spent half an hour looking for a princess to marry in ck2 and ended up marrying a priestess because he can't read correctly under pressure