Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Yeah for me the appeal of I:R is that it's taking the basic framework of EU and making really significant and interesting changes to the mechanics. It's adding a bunch of interesting internal mechanics to the polities you play as, with the pop system and the characters. They haven't discussed colonisation in detail yet but it's probably going to be something like migrating a bunch of your pops into a province that is just occupied by one or two tribal pops and displacing/killing/assimilating the existing tribal pops, which opens up a lot of interesting possibilities depending on how exactly it's implemented, and is far more interesting than how EU4 approaches the same concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Autonomous Monster posted:

I am hoping the tegulacide (shut up Astroclassicist) is going to speed things up a fair bit

If the AI doesn't have to think about whether it's got the right pops on the right tiles that's got to free up a lot of CPU time and improve scalability, right?
I appreciate this post.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

pretty lol at every making gameplay judgements about a game whos gameplay we know functionally nothing about

any way goddam vicky 2 owns, i really want vicky 3 but im not sure if id be able to love it as much with out the jank and the perpetual feeling that im just kinda guessing about how the game works.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Hefty Leftist posted:

haven't been following Imperator that much, but it's not really getting me very interested so far. not really sure what the hook of the game is, like CK2 has it's characters and intrigue, EU4 has colonization and nation development and Vic 2 has modernisation and global trade. Imperator kind of has all of these things but nothing seems to be really sticking out to me so far. anyone else got the same thoughts? it is pretty early in development so maybe the meatier stuff is coming later on

we know next to nothing about it yet, we're in "showing concept art" land really. the map was only finished up recently

I'm not sure why they felt the need to tease dev dairies this early but whatev

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Agean90 posted:

pretty lol at every making gameplay judgements about a game whos gameplay we know functionally nothing about

any way goddam vicky 2 owns, i really want vicky 3 but im not sure if id be able to love it as much with out the jank and the perpetual feeling that im just kinda guessing about how the game works.
I like thinking this entire reply is about Vicky 2 after the other ones that were like actually the economy is Who's Line is it Anyway.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

zedprime posted:

I like thinking this entire reply is about Vicky 2 after the other ones that were like actually the economy is Who's Line is it Anyway.

see what i mean? a vicky 3 where everything is "sane" and "transparent" and all that other stupid poo poo would never be able create these conversations

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gamerofthegame posted:

we know next to nothing about it yet, we're in "showing concept art" land really. the map was only finished up recently

I'm not sure why they felt the need to tease dev dairies this early but whatev
I dont think the map is complete yet, though? They showed off one with more stuff colored in but there were some gaps where there should be stuff.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I dont think the map is complete yet, though? They showed off one with more stuff colored in but there were some gaps where there should be stuff.

They haven’t said it’s complete they just released what they have to show something

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Agean90 posted:

I agree in sentiment but when at least 2 of the dev diaries have been essentially “Here’s a list of copy pasted EU4 things” you can see where people are coming from (Monarch point and Diplomatic options).

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah, monarch points, diplomatic options, characters, pops..

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
The guy straight up said he hadn’t been following it, not everybody is a sperg like us.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

The answer here is global world conquest, so the numbers can finally add up :unsmigghh:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Koramei posted:

Yeah, monarch points, diplomatic options, characters, pops..

Point taken on mp, but let's be honest the Diplo options are pretty much the same in every pdox game

Everything else I'll wait to see detes on. 'member when Stellaris was supposed to have pops and it was just a civ style worker tile system?

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 25, 2018

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Agean90 posted:

see what i mean? a vicky 3 where everything is "sane" and "transparent" and all that other stupid poo poo would never be able create these conversations

the vicky 3 economy should be entirely comprehensible to devs and modders but mostly impenetrable in-game

this is different from the vicky 2 economy where literally nobody except an insane scottish libertarian understands it at all

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Just bring back the Vic:Rev economy.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I have CK2 and EU4, as well as some of the older titles on GOG. I'd like to break into these games but ever time I turn one on I get confused and "nope!" right the gently caress back to my desktop. Help me not be this guy. Civilization is the most grognardy (lol) game I've played so I've never dived into anything this complex before. Are there any good SS let's plays currently running or some recommended Youtube vids I can watch? Which game is the best for breaking into. I'm most interested in CK2 an EU4 and I feel if I can get into one the other should be a bit easier due to the interface similarities.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Jazerus posted:

this is different from the vicky 2 economy where literally nobody except an insane scottish libertarian understands it at all

I am still undecided as to if Vicky 2's economy is WAD or delicious irony. Vicky 2 ends up supporting state capitalism as an economic model and shows the failure of the free market.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Jazerus posted:

the vicky 3 economy should be entirely comprehensible to devs and modders but mostly impenetrable in-game

nah make it impenetrable to modders as well, full realism.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

bedpan posted:

I am still undecided as to if Vicky 2's economy is WAD or delicious irony. Vicky 2 ends up supporting state capitalism as an economic model and shows the failure of the free market.

And then the political model is straight up accelerationist.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

V3 should be the same as V2 but whenever you get a communist revolution you get to see a janky early 2000s 3D animation of your capitalist pops being guillotined.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

V3 should be the same as V2 but whenever you get a communist revolution you get to see a janky early 2000s 3D animation of your capitalist pops being guillotined.

V3 should have Stellaris's "Set rights" options for pops, so that you can set "Capitalist" and "Aristocrat" pops to "Livestock" living conditions if you take the Communist civic.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

chaosapiant posted:

I have CK2 and EU4, as well as some of the older titles on GOG. I'd like to break into these games but ever time I turn one on I get confused and "nope!" right the gently caress back to my desktop. Help me not be this guy. Civilization is the most grognardy (lol) game I've played so I've never dived into anything this complex before. Are there any good SS let's plays currently running or some recommended Youtube vids I can watch? Which game is the best for breaking into. I'm most interested in CK2 an EU4 and I feel if I can get into one the other should be a bit easier due to the interface similarities.

Over on the Paradox forums, there's Blut und Schlacht (Blood and Battle): A Learner’s Saga, which is a narrative AAR/SSLP combined with a bunch of asking the community questions about the basics, trying things out, reporting the results, etc. It's perhaps a bit different than a usual game in that it's covering a germanic tribal ruler, but will probably still be very helpful.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

idhrendur posted:

Over on the Paradox forums, there's Blut und Schlacht (Blood and Battle): A Learner’s Saga, which is a narrative AAR/SSLP combined with a bunch of asking the community questions about the basics, trying things out, reporting the results, etc. It's perhaps a bit different than a usual game in that it's covering a germanic tribal ruler, but will probably still be very helpful.

This is great, thank you!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

you just have to dive in, imo

turn off the part of your brain that cares about winning while you're learning, and just see what happens. the core gameplay of paradox games is not actually very complicated, there are just a lot of details available. EU4 is a bit more complicated mechanically, but it's also more like a traditional strategy game than CK2 is.

i don't mean to be overly critical but quitting things due to initial confusion is a bad habit in life generally; learning anything requires building clarity out of confusion. i've watched plenty of blind LPs of paradox games, and the thing that leads to most of them being consistently confused and overwhelmed is an unwillingness to just press the buttons and see what happens.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 25, 2018

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Also, it's a game, not a bomb. Just click all the buttons and see what they do! There are so many buttons to click!

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Accidentally sleeping with your son's wife and eating your rival is a feature not a bug. It's really hard to get perma-hosed in CK so go nuts seeing what all the interactions do.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

As long as you have some land and an heir you can make plenty of stupid decisions and not lose. Maybe you'll make others mad and they'll kill your character - no matter, that's what an heir is for. If you're conquered, then you have a new boss but now you get to be the annoying, scheming vassal.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Yeah, the only existential threat that exists in the game from outsiders is being holy-warred/Crusaded into oblivion. Even then it's avoidable if you simply convert to your attacker's religion. There are reasons why you might not want to do so out of your own self-set goals, but it's not really that big of a deal. If you start inside a large bloc of realms sharing the same religion you won't have this problem at all.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

nah the latest one is apparently complete, all the grey stuff is wastelands.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

don't play the older games (except v2 but don't play that one first)

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So my biggest quibble with the Vicky games has aways been the pacing. As someone used to playing the CK and EU titles I often ended up going... “wtf, what do you mean the game is over... oh, I only had a century to work with.”

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So to be clear, I'm not at all afraid of losing or loving up a game, that's the best way to learn. My issue is that ok I clicked a button and I'm married. So? And then I have a blind heir with AIDS or my king dude gets migraines or whatever, tons of stuff going on but I can't tell what any of it means and what it affects.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

chaosapiant posted:

So to be clear, I'm not at all afraid of losing or loving up a game, that's the best way to learn. My issue is that ok I clicked a button and I'm married. So? And then I have a blind heir with AIDS or my king dude gets migraines or whatever, tons of stuff going on but I can't tell what any of it means and what it affects.

So you can gets traits like: blind, has AIDS, etc. Each of these traits shows up as an icon on their character sheet next to their portrait.

You can mouse over these icons and it tells you what this means game mechanics wise and, more or less, these are straight forward.

For example, -5 to Marshall means they are worse at fighting and leading armies (as an example) and -20 to vassal opinion means your vassals (the landed nobles beneath you) like you less (as another example).

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 25, 2018

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Being married also boosts your ruler's stats since you get some of your spouse's stats added onto your own.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

chaosapiant posted:

I don’t know whether this is still true but Ireland 1066 was at one point considered a good tutorial area for new players. Pick a dude there, try to become King of Ireland, and by the end of that game you should have a general idea of what to do and why.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like if you make a historical game where the player knows exactly how the economy works, it makes things terribly anachronistic.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

if you make a game where the player can't know how it works, the game becomes arbitrary.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Prav posted:

if you make a game where the player can't know how it works, the game becomes arbitrary.

I had fun playing King of Dragon Pass and I never had any idea what I was supposed to be doing.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Prav posted:

Not really. It's the same thing as fog of war, so long as it effects every player it's fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Prav posted:

It only becomes arbitrary if the game reacts differently every time you do similar actions.

Which I don’t think games can do unless designed that way.