Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SlothfulCobra posted:

The game "mechanically punishes"you because of course if you have a fun time hacking people to bits for no reason but personal beef people will hate you. I don't think the game needs more elaborate sadist options, they already have enough, although maybe putting in events where you have no choice but to be a sadist if you've got bad traits might make sense.
I dont interpret what Deceitful Penguin is asking for as "more sadist options". I think its more of a "more interesting/in depth/colorful" options. Not " 'I caught my Steward embezzling', select option A, B, or C" rather " 'I caught my Steward embezzling via filching a horse from the stables every time he rides to port to collect the harbor fees', select option A "Fire him and repossess the horses", B "Fine him and make him ride a straw horse for the next month", C "have a horse ride him down to the harbor", or D "something related to either one of his traits or one of yours" ". But then there would be another, completely different, set of options if the embezzling reprisal if he was fudging the books or letting his friends dock in port for free.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

blackmongoose posted:

HOI needs a multiplayer mode where one person runs the focus tree, diplomacy, and ministers, one person does production, and one person moves the units around. I always get excited and interested when I see new focus trees, fixed naval combat, or other cool looking things, but then I remember opening the production interface or the division designer/plane designer and remember why it's the only Paradox game I have <50 hours of playtime in.
What is so intimidating about the Production interface? You can safely ignore the division designer and still beat the AI. There is no Plane designer.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

blackmongoose posted:

It's a lot of small scale decisions (all med tank factories or some light, how many infantry factories are enough, should I be building more factories or sticking to equipment, etc.) that you need to do a lot of calculations to determine the ultimate effect of and is basically something I don't enjoy at all - I recognize this is a personal thing and some people really like it which is why I wish I could play a multiplayer game with one of those people handling it. When I said plane designer, I meant the feature that is apparently called "variants" where you have to put experience points into different categories for specific planes - again, it's just way too much detail for me to want to engage with.
Fair enough. Most of those things are pretty ignorable, from my experience. If you ever want to give the game another go you should swing by the dedicated HoI thread and I'm sure we could help advise you on how to best ignore those interfaces and still have fun.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SlothfulCobra posted:

The ancient world feels so alien to the rest of what I know about history because it was before all the big things that defined Europe for the next couple millennia.
It also mesmerizes me because of how some really tiny states could wield so much power/have such a profound effect. And how some of these huge states existed almost entirely on cult of personality.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

double nine posted:

Have any dev diaries talked about triumvirates or similar?
For which game?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

420 Gank Mid posted:

At least in Victoria Brazil can actually do something, if you told a new player to try Brazil for their first HOI4 game they would be bored to tears
Maybe for their first game, but as a seasoned player you can actually have some fun with just about any country in HoI4.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I took a look at Brazil and I dont even know how you conquer anything because the whole hemisphere is guaranteed by the US.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fellblade posted:

They also highlight that attrition is a lot harsher than other PDX games so you need smaller armies in a lot of places. Let’s hope the AI can handle that.
This is great and if they are designing that in from the get-go I hope it works.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groogy posted:

Oh... okay :(
Just lol if you let posters on this website determine how you work.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GrossMurpel posted:

Just lol if you design any UI elements as a developer without first checking with your UX team.
Just lol if you have a UX team.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wonder if Paradox has any dedicated cartographers on staff?
I dunno if Trin Tragula is a "dedicated cartographer" but he sure knows his map poo poo. He's been involved with all of the map and country changes in EU4 (from what I can see as an observer reading DDs).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I have to agree with the sentiment that there is plenty of things that can be done in a theoretical CK3. Most of these have already been listed, but
  • Economy
  • Buildings
  • Province Management
  • Trade
  • Drastically different non-Feudal playstyles (Hordes, Pagans, Muslims, Byzantines, India, China, and the little things in between)
  • Migrations
  • Disasters
  • Combat
  • Make Theocracies and Republics a normal playstyle rather than a special Merchant Republic only

and there is probably more. You dont need to go into Pop Detail like Imperator is doing but adding it so you can play as a Republic of X where instead of playing as a family line, you are playing as that republic and you play as the spirit of that republic like in EU4, but if you lose the namesake city its gameover (or something like that).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I also think that there is a good number of people scared away from CKII because of its complexity and the sheer quantity of DLC. Most people think that you cant play the game without at least some DLC and even with sales it can be a big bill to get the ones you think/heard that you need, By doing CK3, people who are interested in CKII/heard good things about it but never got into it because of the entrance cost and complexity may say "I'm going to get in on this one from the start".

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm going to make a horse race in Stellaris. I will have the imperial ruler's title be "Glitterhoof" and name my first ruler Incitatus

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Davincie posted:

can't believe they have to work today
Yeah I thought we wouldn't hear from anyone at Paradox until like two weeks after New Years....

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 31, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

pdxjohan posted:

I was writing it from home ;)
You're too good to us.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Didn't a bunch of them have to recently update their mods to work after Wiz made a final update for Victoria 2 like a year ago in his spare time?
It was Wiz and Groogy (I think) and some other internal guys who arent on SA (I think) and yes I think you are right.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

canepazzo posted:

They just announced the release date of Imperator on stream - 25th of April :hist101:
Dayum that is way earlier than I expected. I am looking forward to reading about it and all the enthusiasm before it all comes crashing down, as is tradition.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bold Robot posted:

I don’t think Imperator is gonna be a day-one buy for me. Paradox has not been on a super hot streak recently - HoI4 didn’t wow me and Stellaris was half-baked at release (though post-launch development has been mostly
excellent). Imperator looks solid but the info so far hasn’t built much hype. It feels like maybe a Sengoku or March of the Eagles type thing to test concepts for another game that they are more excited about.

Would love to be pleasantly surprised though.
Same.

alcaras posted:

Do we have a thread for Imperator?
Its been this thread so far since there hasnt been much to talk about yet.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Senor Dog posted:

maybe I'm the crazy one.
Nah

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Senor Dog posted:

I think you're supposed to do all your management at the state level which is like 10-15 provinces combined, or is there something that still has to be done at the prov level?
I've gotten the impression that handling the micro on a per-tiny-city basis will probably be necessary to handle trade and whatnot if you want to get the most out of it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

Yeah, I think there are valid things to complain about (like it constantly slipping behind your lines to siege Siberia) and obviously all sorts of ways it could be better, but Paradox AI is...really good. If you measure it by actually reasonable standards. Like what strategy game actually has better AI? Definitely not total war or civ.
Yeah I have to agree. Having just started playing Warhammer Total War (I'm forever burned out on CKII but still love it, EU4 needs too much fixing, Stellaris is great but its new patch/DLC needs another month of work before I'm willing to play it again, and I'm waiting on Man The Guns for HoI4) and the AI is decent, and even pretty tricky sometimes, but its all also pretty predictable once you get used to it. The AI in Civ has always been poo poo. Other games in the competitor space for Paradox games have way worse AI. The most recently played games I can think of to compare would be the Endless games (Legend and Space 2) and the AI is atrocious in those games (edit: They are still good games though; Endless Legend is a great fill in for a Cool Hex based turn-based Game that isnt Civ).

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 6, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Democrazy posted:

I kind of feel like designing AI for people with thousands of hours of play time is an unreasonable request.
I dont think anyone is asking for AI to be "designed for people with thousands of hours"; I think they (we) are asking for AI that isnt either super loving braindead or designed to be annoying as gently caress in a completely and totally a-historical way in history-based games. I dont even have 1000 hours in EU4 but that doesnt mean I didnt notice this trend in AI behavior when it started and that it doesnt annoy the gently caress out of me, to the point that it is a major reason why I dont play anymore.

For example, North German OPMs getting military access through 10+ countries to occupy unfortified provinces at the rear end end of the Ottoman Empire because said OPM is allied Austria, who is fully occupied so marching straight in would be suicide. Yes, that is smart behavior (not suiciding their army in a direct fashion via marching straight into the enemy) but they are instead committing suicide by committing the entirety of their army to years of marching through neutral territory to add literally nothing to the war except tedium for human players and opening themselves up to a greedy neighbor watching their army gleefully march away. All of this in 1475, too, when marching from Germany to the Caucasus would essentially be suicide in and of itself.

Or a tiny Italian power sailing their whole army and navy from Italy to India because they are buddies with the French, who are at war England.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Democrazy posted:

Call me crazy, but I don’t actually think that this represents a big issue. It seems, at worst a minor inconvenience or an inconsequential goof. If that’s the kind of thing that represents the top issue with the AI, I imagine Paradox should be pretty pleased with themselves.
I mean....it is in your name...

I dunno how much EU4 you have played or if you go for achievements but that plus the inability to delegate/program jobs for my armies really bogs down the mid and especially late game because there is so much going on. Its not a hill I'm ready to die on or even write another paragraph about, but its a big pain to me, and the AI wasnt always that way, so, yeah.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

axeil posted:

i'm annoyed about single player bugs too, however it may also be much, much easier to replicate and fix a bug with events that someone noticed in multiplayer where something like "AI russia doesn't build artillery" is harder to figure out the root cause of. Is it because they don't trade for resources? Do they not research the templates? Is it a general issue with the AI in terms of prioritization?

Holding off an easy fix so the community doesn't think you're playing favorites with mp/sp is silly.
I dont think anyone is saying that one change should be held back until another is figured out and ready. I think the commentary was more about communication about intentions and design. "Bug where AI Russia cant build artillery in SP" "Bug where Johan abused a mechanic in MP" are both bugs. If the first one was found nine months ago and the second one last week, and then the second gets fixed immediately with no commentary about "Hey we want to fix this but AI is hard" then people may get the perception that the MP bug is more important than the SP bug because there is no other context.

Now, if a dev had publicly stated that they are balancing more around MP *and* they "rush" to fix an MP bug, and yet again provide no other context - what conclusion are you going to come to? This is what the discussion is about.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Deceitful Penguin posted:

ofaloaf what is going on with your sideburns by jupiter
You cant say this and not share a pic.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ofaloaf posted:

We all got gifs just before the stream.

Niiiiiiiiice.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cease to Hope posted:

I just cannot give a poo poo about whatever Paradox is doing with Vampire because of how badly the last set of people they hired to deal with Vampire poo poo the bed. I'm glad they fired them all and burned that subsidiary to the ground, but it exhausted any goodwill or interest I might've had.
I thought they just acquired it and fired the people that the former owners of the IP had hired to do something?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

bees everywhere posted:

I don't think that's going to happen for a few reasons, but mostly that it's a pain in the rear end to do that and incorporate future DLC and patches into it.
Yeah I'm hoping that they learn from CKII's experience with moving the dates around and adding multiple start dates. For someone like me, who only has limited game time, it is almost "too much" content and it muddles what I am supposed to do. I would rather have an explicit game for the Empire period rather than an expansion/DLC for an existing game. There is also the whole "No Napoleonic wars" in EU4 to consider because by then you've had like 400 years to gently caress up the timeline, so it would be better if the EU games ended in 1750-1775 so a new, different, game could represent that, because the Napoleonic wars were not really wars of sieging forts like the lead up to that time period is in EU.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

My god what have I done?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Eastbound Spider posted:

Problem:
Too many Karlings

Solution:
One really sharp axe
Sorry I prefer to use several moderately sharp axes.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

kanonvandekempen posted:

The most recent DD for EU4 (link) mentions that the next update is tentatively scheduled for Q4 this year. This seems quite late, I don't think this is even paid DLC?

Is paradox shifting from small DLC's to larger expansions or are people being reassigned to unannounced projects?
I had just asked about recent EU4 DDs in the EU4 thread and someone said that they are working on technical debt and stuff:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

As was stated in their big end-of-year update last year, the first half of 2019 will be largely focused on bugfixing and quality of life improvements. There may be (or, I hope there will be) another content update between now and the next expansion, but otherwise that expansion is at least another six months out, if nothing has changed since that dev diary was posted. The plan is for the One Big Expansion for the entire year.

Torrannor posted:

What we thought to be the last CK2 DLC took over a year to release, it was a much longer wait than usual. There's apparently still development going on, but the teased content so far makes it look as if it will be much smaller in scale than Holy Fury.

So something similar could be happening with EUIV. Although it's probably not a good idea to have two of their flagship franchises on long hiatuses.
CKII has already been on hiatus for a few months, hasnt it? It is the Paradox title I follow the least so I'm not sure. But I mention it because, by the sounds of it, EU4 will be worked on at least through this year. By then Imperator will be out, presumed work on CKIII will be progressing, Stellaris is still going (it remains to be seen if it is still going strong), and HoI4 is still a thing too.

Also isnt Stellaris their biggest title in terms of sales?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 26, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Drone posted:

I think the last sales figures I saw were around the time of one of the shareholder calls from last year (???) showing total number of units sold per franchise (excluding Vicky 2 of course). It was something like CK2 -> Stellaris -> EU4 -> HOI4, iirc?

Probably talking out my rear end or something since I don't remember the exact figures. Either way Stellaris was definitely not at the bottom of the pack.
I wonder if the CKII sales figure counts the free weekend?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

I just want to know when the big AI revamp is coming. That's bound to be free; despite being the biggest value add in years (ever?) I'm sure they wouldn't be willing to leave the current state out there.
For which game :v:

I know you mean EU4 but we all know each of the games could use it

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Magissima posted:

Is trade the only major system left in EU4 that hasn't been overhauled since 1.0? Iirc it was one of the most prominent changes from EU3 and I still think it's a very good design overall, but the lack of dynamism kind of sucks. If you're in the wrong trade node you just can't make money, which isn't necessarily ahistorical but also isn't fun.
It's still there same const system of EU1, but with more fluff. It has not really been touched at all in 4.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

elbkaida posted:

I've got a V2 question for yall: The world looks like this and my mission is to get as much of Africa as possible. I've sphered Spain, Portugal, Ottoman Empire and Transvaal and am conquering Sokoto and Egypt. That leaves only these nasty red and blue parts to deal with. My military is now strong enough to take on France I reckon but is there any chance to get something from the UK? The year is 1906, vanilla V2. UK has over 3000 brigades and mine's the second strongest army (out of the great powers) with 220 lmao

Edit: just loaded up as UK and they don't have much money. What happens if I bankrupt them, does that help get their provinces somehow?

Are you....Peru?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

aardvaard posted:

i've appreciated the lack of a swastika in hoi4 since that means i can play it where other people can see my screen.
I was leery of playing in the airport as France when I would have to be clicking on Germany to follow their Focus picks, and every time I click on them I see Hitler's portrait.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ArchangeI posted:

He didn't, though.
What was it, then? Because it sure looked like one to those of us that watched the stream, and when one of the presenters pointed it out, the guy with the not-hitler mustache said that he felt like it would be thematic. Just to be clear, I am not trying to be a dick here - I want to believe you and I am genuinely curious.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ArchangeI posted:

It was a very unfortunate combination of overhead lighting and a lightish brown hair color leading to the only parts of the mustache visible on stream being the part in the shadow of the nose. It was intended as a sort of British upper-class gentleman officer kind of deal. For the sake of my own sanity I would assume that we would have had someone from PR bodily tackle him on stream if the other 5 people involved in the decision making process would for some reason have been okay with having someone try and represent HoI with a literal Hitler-stache.
Ahh gotchya, I can understand how that would happen. And yeah part of my surprise and confusion was that no one seemed to bat an eye at it, which did have me hopeful that it wasnt what I thought it was, but it wasnt talked about again and the guy didnt try to use a British accent or anything so no matter how much squinting I did I only ever thought I saw a hitlerstache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I think there is a (hilarious) disconnect here between "war is tedious, lets find a way to automate it a bit" and people thinking that that means people dont want to fight at all? I love that in HoI 4 I manage my focuses, decisions, research, construction, production, and troop deployment....and that the troop deployment can even deploy them into an army and give them orders without my input, then fight and conquer with me pointing in a direction and saying "go". I would pay $50 for that in EU4 or Stellaris.