Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tomn posted:

I never really understood the fascination with remaking Masters of Orion. It was a pretty good game, sure, but surely the goal should be to move BEYOND it than to try to find some way to make it again but somehow different yet better?

I think you're taking the word "remake" a little too literally. People who make Space 4x games do try to do their own thing and are usually not just aping MOO directly, it's just that calling it a "MOO-like" or a "MOO spiritual successor" or whatever is a more handy descriptor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah except the problem is that almost every game in the genre is Masters of Orion except shittier or with some new feature they tacked on that is useless/unfun/broken

That's why people keep trying to remake it though: every attempt always ends up critically flawed in one fashion or another, and so the next developer down the line thinks that they're the ones that can recapture the magic, and on and on.

I mean, if you're saying people probably shouldn't keep trying anymore, or that all of these remakes try to duplicate MOO's specific vision of the Space 4x* so hard and that just damages them in the attempt, then yeah, there's a discussion to be had, but it's not difficult to see why someone would want to make the attempt.

* individual colonies in individual planets in individual stars, starpoint-to-starpoint space travel, agriculture vs industry vs research, etc.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't there a CK2 mod that replaces rulers with anime girls?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone ever written alt-hist fiction about a Huey Long presidency?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Chief Savage Man posted:

Where in all of this theory does he address the whole Holocaust bit? I'm curious to see how that can be blamed on Great Britain or the Soviet Union.

Well if the Soviet Union just gave way and let Germany have the Arkangelsk-Astrakhan line as status quo antebellum borders they could have just deported them instead of having to take more drastic measures.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A timelapse video of the Black Ice mod for HOI3 that doesn't end quite like how you might expect.

EDIT: Holy poo poo I just realized how goddamn clickbaity that sounds. I'm really sorry, I swear to god I wasn't doing it on purpose. It's an AI-only/observer game that goes off the rails.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 1, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If you want to play HOI3, you should get all of the DLC.

It's the first half of that statement that's operative.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

rizzen posted:

I do want to play it, it's the only game of their giant line that I haven't actually tried yet. I've heard though, that just getting Darkest Hour is a better idea?

Yes, the consensus is that Darkest Hour is better.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think there was a mod that let you turn those colonial events, those election events and the technological upgrade events (A NEW TRACTOR! x1000) into either state-level or even national-level events to cut down on their number.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Looks like the next EU4 expansion is The Cossacks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGWWB3OH3uQ

quote:

Zaporozhian Cossacks to the Turkish Sultan!

O sultan, Turkish devil and damned devil's kith and kin, secretary to Lucifer himself. What the devil kind of knight are you, that can't slay a hedgehog with your naked arse? The devil excretes, and your army eats. You will not, you son of a bitch, make subjects of Christian sons; we've no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, gently caress your mother.

You Babylonian scullion, Macedonian wheelwright, brewer of Jerusalem, goat-fucker of Alexandria, swineherd of Greater and Lesser Egypt, pig of Armenia, Podolian thief, catamite of Tartary, hangman of Kamyanets, and fool of all the world and underworld, an idiot before God, grandson of the Serpent, and the crick in our dick. Pig's snout, mare's arse, slaughterhouse cur, unchristened brow, screw your own mother!

So the Zaporozhians declare, you lowlife. You won't even be herding pigs for the Christians. Now we'll conclude, for we don't know the date and don't own a calendar; the moon's in the sky, the year with the Lord, the day's the same over here as it is over there; for this kiss our arse!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It is a classic space 4x mistake to assume that humanity will ever meet an alien race that is more militaristic, fascist and xenophobic than ourselves, and I'm glad Stellaris isn't falling into that trap.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Charlz Guybon posted:

Never played this game, but why the hell are the turrets not in line? Is this some kind of crazy per-dreadnaught?

IRL there were post-Dreadnought designs that still placed turrets in configurations that wouldn't allow for ~180 degree traverses that one might intuitively expect.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Adequate posted:

lol @ anyone who doesn't think SMAC is one of the greatest works of the 20th century, in any medium

You might say it's the Citizen Kane of video games.

If the factions and the tech quotes were exaggerated, it was mostly because the game needed it to be. You don't have "oh these are Russians, so they must be good at xyz" to draw upon as a touchstone, so when they make the Militaristic faction, they have to make it really friggin' obvious that they're the militaristic ones.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Ramming worked pretty well against the Admiral Hipper and the Surcouf too

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Sharmat posted:

Master of Magic is beautiful but the ancient braindead AI ruins it. Not that some modern strategy games are much better.

Honestly I'd imagine anyone playing Civ 2 at this point for the first time would probably also find it dated and crappy. Civ 4 was the best Civ, i think.

Civ 3 was the biggest leap-forward as far as converting unit support to an empire-wide calculation, fleshing out the concept of national borders (that SMAC kinda toyed with), introducing culture, strategic resources, and even the domination victory.

Civ 4 polished those ideas like a mofo, but I still go back to 3 over 4.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

zedprime posted:

To bring it back home, isn't this what they do for EU4?

Yeah no kidding didn't Wiz like manage to shoot down every way to "game" the Hundred Years War over the course of however many of EU4's patches?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Westminster System posted:

I see the AI invade Britain pretty often, in fact the AI does more amphibious invasions then people give them credit for. Its just they don't tend to succeed, and if they do they tend to get wiped out pretty quickly. Most recently in a Kaiserreich game at that, the entire Entente was navally invading Haiti who had like 14 divisions for some reason, and they actually managed to pull it off.

But failure is generally the most likely outcome, to be fair. D-Day was pretty much incredible in the fact that it succeeded after all. Its pretty common for me to see Germany in normal and modded games take something in Southern England only to be driven out immediately or a short while later, usually without taking London but a few provinces at best.

Yeah, the Allies had complete and utter naval and air supremacy by the time they landed on Normandy, and the US invasions of various Japanese-held islands in the Pacific were similarly unopposed.

It's easy for us to go "eh the AI invaded but then I ran over them with some panzers" when that's exactly what happened in Dieppe, or what could have happened if Hitler wasn't sleeping, or if the Germans forced Sealion.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't been to this thread in forever. What's next on Paradox's sights now that Stellaris and HOI4 are out? Victoria 3? Rome 2?

corn in the bible posted:

Victoria 2 is better than The Witcher 2

Not emptyquoting.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How about economic and domestic ideology sliders? So you could be something like socially liberal, but then also fiscally conservative.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The PoE skill tree makes more sense once you realize that lots of points along the various branches are similar to a "0/5 gain +5% more damage to a skill" kind of deal, but by splitting each individual point into a separate node, they're not locking themselves into "each point must provide the same bonus", nor must each skill cost the number of points to be invested.

Since, if you look at Diablo 2 as your design ancestor, it makes sense that you don't need Warmth or Cold Resist Aura to be "clickable" 20 times, and at the same time it makes sense that Zeal should stop at 4 points, while Lightning Bolt goes up to 10.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
For the longest time I thought a certain German general's name was "Geyr von Schweppenb" because that's what he was named in HOI 2. It never occurred to me that the "-urg" was being cut off by the interface for length.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

algebra testes posted:

I'll give you one for free:

This garbage ipad game doesn't even make me manually coordinate my air and ground attacks to occur at the same hour of the day. :colbert:

god I feel dirty even joking about that.

Coordinating the ToT of Soviet SSGNs, SAG and Backfire strikes in Harpoon was the most satisfying thing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

My recollection of launch day HOI3 was loading up the Normandy 1944 scenario as a test and discovering that all my troops were immediately out of supply and also no tech after 1936 had been researched. And a few days later the dynamic weather system plunged the world into a nuclear winter.

I remember browsing the Paradox forums on HOI3's launch with people posting many many screenshots of the UK AI building nothing but transports, forever.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

YF-23 posted:

That's an old version of the mod, the Trois-Eveches province is scattered in more pieces now.

:catstare: not less?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Did they create entire regions that are completely inaccessible? What purpose do they possibly serve?

There's like small lines connecting the "isolated" provinces to other provinces.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone still have copies of No Time Limit patches for Victoria Revolutions (2.01) and Crusader Kings Deus Vult?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Enjoy posted:

The Warsaw Ghetto had its drawbacks but it did wonders for their Gini coefficient

Isn't this unironically true though? Like, it's no coincidence that WWI happened a century after the fall of the Ancien Regime and the Napoleonic Wars, and here were are a century after that and we're again stretching the limits of peaceful coexistence under a Capitalist system with an increasingly unsustainable level of economic disparity.

The difference being that this time you cannot count on conventional war as a force for socioeconomic leveling because nukes exist.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Okay what the hell Paradox audience. Seriously?

https://twitter.com/SAZorak/status/821741064373444610

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is now the fourth time I've bought Paradox's games:

The first was from Gamersgate when I was first dipping my toes into digital distribution

The second was when I wanted to re-buy everything on Steam for my convenience

And then I moved out of my parents's house last year after getting married, and left my desktop there, but I didn't want to take my Steam account with it because my dad is using that computer now, so I bought the Europa engine games on GOG

And just now I bought the Paradox pack again as a daily deal for my second Steam account

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What's the standard army composition in V2 again? I know it's 2-4 Guards for the wings, 1 to 1 ratio of cannons to infantry, but I can't recall which cavalry to use, if at all.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I managed to form Italy as Sardinia-Piedmont in 1846 because the Garibaldi event just handed it to me - what's my next goal? I figure I need to expand my military and prepare to attack Austria to retake my cores, as well as try to form alliances that would help me in such a war.

Anything else I should be aiming for? Colonialism? Other European shenanigans?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Make poo poo tonnes of commerce raiders and ironclads. Always be building naval bases and save up all your research points from 1868 until 1870.

The commerce raiders and ironclads are for maximized military score, right?

And then the naval bases are to max-out my colonial points?

And then saving research points is so that I can finish Machine Guns as early as possible?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
And what's the difference between 2% and 4% clergymen again? After I got all my states to 2% Clergymen, I then worked on promoting Bureaucrats until I got to 100% admin efficiency for promotion and tax revenue purposes.

What comes after that as far as National Focuses?

(I'm sorry for all the questions - I used to know all this, but most of it leaked out in more than a year of not playing. During yesterday's reinstall and short 10-year playthrough, the only thing I remembered was to set Craftsmen and Soldiers to state_capital_only)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't really know much about EU4, so I'd like to ask: what mechanics are in place that would result in/simulate colonies trying to break free of their Old World masters, and how well does this tend to work out in practice?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Nice. RUSE was a really good game and I'm glad Eugen is going back to that period.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Wait, what's wrong with Civ VI?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I would be, but you might want to give it a test run first because going into Vicky by dead reckoning isn't going to be much fun or entertaining.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
[extremely actually voice]: while Civ 4 did do a lot to improve ICS problems, suicide siege units were very unverisimilitudinous, and for that reason Civ 3 is the best one of the series.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

SMAC was the best civilisation bar none.

SMAC still had the awful city-level unit support mechanics and an AI that didn't know how to use Supply Crawlers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
how about running for office and getting your politics fix directly