Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Star Ruler 2 and Distant Worlds both have orbiting planets and to be honest I just find them more annoying than anything. The travel time within a system is a fraction of a second so it's not like orbital positioning really matters for timing, but every time you zoom back into the system you have to find where everything is again.

Orbits were important in DW for pre-warp starts when being on one side of a star or the other makes a huge difference. It would be nice to have that in Stellaris if you have to take a while to develop warp tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Getting pretty excited for EU4 1.14. The map mode button layout has been a pet peeve for a while so good to see them getting a make over.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bort Bortles posted:

I had no idea it was getting changed, so that is exciting. It is going to be a while till 1.14 drops though, isnt it?

Wiz tweeted this the other day

quote:

support for 10 quick map modes and categorized selection

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FreudianSlippers posted:

I only got the base game but I should probably grab the DLC as soon as I can because they sound like they add a lot of pretty neat stuff.

Can't remember what AHD added (Taipings?), but at least get Heart of Darkness, stuff like the crisis and colonisation mechanics are essential.

Good starter country is Austria-Hungary. Lots of manpower + money with smaller states around you to beat up on.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Heh, guess who's got the job to code the V3 economy

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
OK The Cossacks is pretty much overhauling every remaining gripe I had with EU4 - I can now set my country's attitude towards other countries!

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-dev-diary-october-22nd-2015.887930/

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kulkasha posted:

You forget Cisalpine Gaul, now known as Northern Italy, which had that name for a reason. It's more likely that Rome was much more ethnically diverse than we mentally picture it.

Cisalpine scum.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Three Moves Ahead have started a Patreon campaign to have a separate Paradox podcast every month.

https://www.patreon.com/3MA?ty=h

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Johan's smug forums sig now preserved for the ages

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

NewMars posted:

They and Hammer of the gods share a wonderful map mechanic sadly found nowhere else, where You start out with a full world map, but this map is not accurate. So you'd see a city on it and explore where it is only to find a mountain or a forest or something and the city itself a few squares away. This got worse the further away from your starting point it was, so you might have entire continents written down that did not actually exist.

:aaaaa:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Haha 3/4ths of the HoI4 forums page is now separate threads to complain about supplies.

Game's going to end up even better due to loss of retarded fan base.

If HOI4 doesn't net dollar one, it will have paid for itself many times over in its epic trolling of the paradox forums.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Takanago posted:

Victoria 2 + All DLC is available for $9.99 right now on Steam.

Most other paradox games are on sale, too. Winter sale!

Doesn't include 'Old Vic' NO SALE.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Giggle Goose posted:

I just wish that they would release one of them. I have finally played EUIV and CK2 to the point where I have to take a break and I need something new to fill my paradox obsession.

I do have to say that I am super impressed about how involved with the community they are as devs though.

Are you this sick of EU4?

I always play Iron Man and several hundred hours into the game I have about 20 achievements. :negative:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sindai posted:

Yeah I fully expect that ship design will be reduced to a few simple rules of thumb once people start seriously trying to break it, but we'll see. I'll count it as a win as long as an all-destroyer fleet with fighter bays in every slot (for example) doesn't completely crush the AI/auto designs.

It will probably make some difference in the early game when you only have a few ships and it's still fun to play around with. By mid to late game it will probably become more like EU4 where you just auto-upgrade everything and mass concentration of force is much more important than individually tweaking ship loadout.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I can't speak to EU4, having never played it,

:dogbutton:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
:biotruths:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Has there been an announcement about a new EU4 expansion?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just want to say thank you to the devs for putting the 'Continue game' button into the EU4 menu screen. It cheers me up everytime knowing I no longer have to go hunting through menus to find my save game.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hmmmm. Not sure how a business that constantly pushes back releases is going to deal with quarterly profit reports. Gotta keep that share price going up!

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Bad google translation of the article.

quote:

Paradox Interactive is one of Sweden's fastest growing game developer. CEO Fredrik Wester, who owns just over 39 percent of the company, has previously stubbornly avoided the questions about IPO despite market pressure has been great. But now he confirms that the company launched an IPO process.

"The important thing is to get the owners who are long term and want to be part of our journey," he says.

Other major owners of Paradox is the investment company Spiltan and financier Peter Lindell, principal owner of the venture capital firm Rite Internet Ventures.

Avanza will keep the listing process, but the prospect is still not yet confirmed.

"We have a fun and different way to do this spreading of ownership on. The process will take take place in the traditional way. Exactly how do we talk about when all the details are clear, "said Chairman Hakan Sjunnesson.

The company's employees and fans of the game world will thus be prioritized. But the door is not closed for institutional investors.

"We expect that they too will be interested. No one is excluded, "says Håkan Sjunnesson as via private company owns more than 4 percent of Paradox Interactive.

The reason for listing is that the company needs capital.

"We have cash in the bank and we would need banking assistance for buying it is also no problem. But a note of course gives access to the capital market, we would like to make acquisitions. Currently, we have no such immediate plans ", said Fredrik Wester.

At the recent spread of ownership two years ago invested financier Peter Lindell 28 million in a combination of rights issue and purchase of shares valued Paradox Interactive to 500 million.

"We have not yet confirmed how much of that will be sold out now, it's a small part of everyone's possession. But clearly the company is worth much more today, "says Håkan Sjunnesson.

The investment company Spiltan has previously valued its holdings of 37 percent of Paradox Interactive to between 480 and 813 million. It would give an overall value of the company at 1.3-2.2 billion.

Paradox recently published its financial statements for 2015, which showed record sales. Net sales were SEK 604 million and profit before tax rushed to 242 million. The figures were slightly doped since the company postponed some game launches in 2015.

Fredrik Wester do not want to give any detailed forecast for the next few years.

"It is always difficult because it depends on how the market looks like, what games we can release and what other games are launched. But the plan is to grow aggressively over the next four years. "

He sees three elements that can be developed further in the company. In addition to PC games, which are sold mainly via Steam, the company aims to go into games for consoles and step into the mobile gaming world for real.

"We've said it a long time and now it's time to go in there."

Paradox released five new games in the last year and a number of so-called expansions to existing games. This year the company come up with several games, including a strategy game in space "Stellaris" and World War strategy game "Hearts of Iron IV".

"We have spent considerable resources in both games and had a strategy to make them more elaborate in order to be able to become big sellers," said Fredrik Wester.

Last year, Paradox Interactive a mega hit with 'Cities: Skylines, "which was sold in the first month, a million copies.

Last fall, the company was bought roleplaying White Wolf Publishing. The idea is to produce board games, books and ultimately new PC games on the trademarks of White Wolf's briefcase.

Fredrik Wester tone now down expansion plans for Asia.

"We are for a number of discussions but has no partner ready for the market," he says.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I hope it goes well. But there's risk involved, especially if the company is expanding into areas that have not traditionally formed part of its business. I just don't want to see a headline in 5 years time like the one we saw today about Lionhead.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

My uncle owns shares in Paradox and he says that the next Paradox IP will be called Australian Senate Estimates Committee Simulator. hth

gently caress that's some risky poo poo.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

poo poo when is D-day

Tomorrow! Nice one Pdx.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
May 9!

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

vyelkin posted:

EU4 has an end date and Stellaris doesn't, plus in Stellaris you don't have the option of starting as a large power so if you want to reach any of the victory conditions it may take longer. Just a hunch, I don't have any real information to back up that thought.

Victory conditions? Who will care about victory conditions? It's all about the Steam Achievements on Ironman.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
B
E
NATO COUNTERS
G
H
A
Z
I

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

COOL CORN posted:

So, I have all EU4 DLC except for El Dorado, Common Sense, The Cossacks, and Mare Nostrum. Which of these, if any, are essential? I don't really feel like dropping $65 on DLC right now :negative: (well obviously I could wait on sales)

I'd say Art of War was the last 'essential' DLC that fixed issues with base EU4 - the ones after that are just adding more stuff into the game.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh man, the forums are going to go ballistic over this

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
1609 :getin:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SoggyBobcat posted:

My ideal Paradox title would be a Victoria-style game set in the near-future (say, starting in 2050) as the Earth begins to be ravaged by climate change.

2016 would also work.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
All warfare in all Paradox games is just about concentration of force.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

John Charity Spring posted:

My own genuine recommendation for WW2 pilot fiction is Derek Robinson's novel Piece of Cake, which is brutal and funny and horrible and just about as good as war fiction gets I think.

Len Deighton's 'Bomber' and 'Fighter' books are really good.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Larry Parrish posted:

I would gladly have paid for 20 different content packs if it meant estates and states never got into EU4. So glad we have Stuff To Do In Peace Time, as I click each province after conquering it 5 times instead of once

New click'em'up - Province Clicker.

Estates are fairly anodyne - they're something I fiddle with every decade or so when I want a bonus to my monarch points or want to spend some time min-maxing my economy when there is going to be a long dry spell to the next war. States have had no effect on my gameplay at all and seem to be an overly complicated solution to the corner case of Castile taking land in North Africa.

The mechanic I do kvetch about is province development - I already have two things to spend my monarch points on, tech and ideas. Giving me a 3rd thing to spend on which only gives me a small incremental bonus means everytime I have to choose between the 3 - province development always loses out.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Larry Parrish posted:

Another big reason why the latest DLCs suck for both games is that they're basically just a new tab on the UI that you can maybe ignore completely if you want.

But Mare Nostrum also adds Condottieri which are one of the best things added to the game.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Very interesting to see Tencent has bought 5% of the Paradox IPO.

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/paradox-interactive-listing-attracts-tencent-as-fan-and-long-term-investor/

Three Kingdoms CK spin-off confirmed!

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GaussianCopula posted:

A valuation of €375 mil for Paradox.

That seems... high? If you're looking at valuation around 5x - 10x revenue, that would give Paradox a revenue stream of around 40m - 80m p.a. I don't think they make that much.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sharzak posted:

Valuations depend more on growth projections than what most people would think. Investors are looking at the revenue timeline from the last couple years and licking their chops--in the era of 2013-15 paradox sales have been through the roof compared to any time previously from what little data I have picked up. This is ostensibly an opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a publisher that is crossing over from niche to mainstream and that's where the real money starts rolling in, either way "valuation at 5x-10x revenue" is not really a useful metric of valuation

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

corn in the bible posted:

New event chain where you can expose Chang kai shek as a war criminal who tricked the brave Chinese people

As part of its attempted rapprochement with Taiwan, CCP propaganda over the last few years has actually started to, if not rehabilitate Chiang, then at least reposition him as a misguided patriot who was important in the war against Japan (see the execrable Mao biopic The Founding of the Republic).

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bitter Mushroom posted:

vicky 1 is better than vicky 2, because you can actually interact with the pops. Granted I'm no great shakes at victoria 2 but I don't understand how you get more soldiers. Although I really like the crisis system

Absolutely - I've always argued for V3 they should bring back manual pop promotion and the simplified world market. It was dumb and a-historical but at least you could understand and manipulate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Empress Theonora posted:

flagchat: with a very few exceptions (maryland, texas, ohio, etc.) US state flags are basically the worst

The Worst-Designed Thing You've Never Noticed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnv5iKB2hl4 (sorry for posting a Tedtalk)