Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Instead of being all blue, lasers and shields should use the map color of the Empire in question so it's clearer who is shooting/deflecting who. :colbert:

EDIT: Also, Paradox, please make drat sure that I can rename every star/star system/planet/moon/asteroid that I own. That seems like a no brainer, but every now and then I find a game that doesn't let me do this as much as I want and I get irrationally angry. I don't want the loving Delta Pavonis system, it's supposed to be New Serbia! :mad:

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

podcat posted:

pretty sure that was a joke, but yeah we dont have a nato counter DLC :D (or do we! :dukedog:)

You should!

I'd non-ironically buy it if they looked as good as the HOI3 counters.

You IRL after making counter DLC:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The thing that baffles me about Stellaris is that the time ticks are like two hours long. I think they were stated as ten a day.

Which is weird to me.

I mean, I get its an abstract measurement, but given your building a huge interstellar empire I was picturing time ticks as being days at a minimum or even weeks or months.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Agean90 posted:

laffo like I'm not just gonna conquer the primitive fucks

Canceling my pre-order if I can't use pre space faring species as a luxury food resource.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

LordMune posted:

The tick rate hasn't been looked at in a while, it happens to be functional for dev purposes. We'll be tweaking it, but I can't promise that it's temp because 10 ticks per day might turn out to be the magic number. :v:

I'd like the see the time system be more abstract anyway.

Like the game starts on 1.1.1 (cycle.pulse.tick)

For every 10 ticks pulse increments 1, for every 10 pulses cycles increments 1. (Or something clean and decimal like that)

Get away from having it start in the year 2200 (*cough* A.D. *cough*) and be in terms of years/days and just be a abstract time system. This will help with my immersion in realizing I've built a massive interstellar empire in 37 years (137,050 ticks).

Refer to cycles in game, not years. Maybe they're a year long, maybe not. It's abstract.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I was actually seeing if they needed someone to help make the inevitable Hellenic Restoration DLC for Crusader Kings II. :ssh:

I'm actually non ironically sad that CKII doesn't let me go Maximum Julian. :(

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Tahirovic posted:

What was the official release date anyhow, Q1 2016 for both HoI IV and Stellaris and Victoria III ?

I don't think any of them have public dates.

I think when people found the Stellaris Steam page early it had a February(?) 2016 date, which was removed before it went live, but who knows how accurate that was. I'm not expecting it until spring, but....?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Larry Parrish posted:

The weather effects look like rear end IMO and I wish I could turn them off. My political map mode mod hides it mostly, but it still appears on buildings and uncolonized territory. I also don't like how the lighting gets a little duller in winter.

I haven't actually tried but I bet you could get rid of that dull effect by making a simple mod that goes into map/terrain and copies colormap_summer.dds over the spring/autumn/winter variants.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

"Frontspac" posted:

Also have an 1821 start and give us working Eu4 and HoI4 converters for full-bore Mega-Campaign goodness, because if we're going to dream why not dream big?

If they don't do this, I'll lose the ability to feel human. :smith:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Sadly, given the expansion is unannounced, and it usually takes at least six weeks or so from announcement to release... I'm starting to think we're not actually going to see it this year. :smith:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Back To 99 posted:

Victoria 2 is too short, please somehow make the victorian era last longer next time.

Sssh. No. They'll make hourly ticks like HOI, and no one will get past 1850.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Yes, Steam... EUIV and CKII DO have the 'simulation' keyword.

But I'm not sure that word means what you think it means.

:stare:

EDIT: This is because I bought the Way of Life DLC, isn't it?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

StashAugustine posted:

Whenever I go on a Shogun Total War binge Steam starts recommending anime games

I thought Steam recommended anime to everyone all the time.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

GSD posted:

I like the bits of Australia in the Great Denmark map.

AUSTRALIA DEMANDS - DANZIG OR WAR!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Rincewind posted:

Well, yeah, but the various bad things I did in that LP weren't reenactments of actual historical atrocities that happened within living memory, and by the time we got to the 20th century we were radical syndicalists intent on Smashing the Fash.

gosh why would i possibly not want to play as the perpetrators of the holocaust in a game series i enjoy for their emergent narratives

I mean, obviously I'm not saying that everyone who plays as the Nazis in any WWII strategy game is a bad person, or anyway-- I'm just talking about my own personal comfort level. But for me, what elevates Paradox games over other strategy games is the way they tell stories, of the way they take at least an abstraction of some real moment in history and then diverge from it in interesting ways, instead of just being an abstract system that's kind of history-themed, like Civilization, or whatever. Even when I'm not actually doing an LP of a Paradox game, the narrative the game creates is still at the front of my mind. And "how Hitler turned things around and won WWII" is not a narrative I really feel like seeing play out.

And, I mean, maybe that's hypocritical, since in other Paradox games you're probably still doing like twenty awful things a minute, but HoI IV feels a little different to me since it's both so much more recent and so specific-- it's not several centuries in which some stuff that may or may not be similar to real-world events might play out, it's 1936 and Hitler is already in power, and I (again, just speaking personally) can't get over the sense of just what that represents in the narrative of an HoI IV game and just appreciate the abstract strategy or it all, or be interested in the Man in the High Castle-esque historical counterfactual, or whatever.

Again, I'm not saying that everyone is morally obligated to feel like this, or that we shouldn't have WWII games, or whatever-- I'm just trying to articulate the reasons why I, personally, am kind of weirded out about playing as the Nazis. Like, it's fine that not everyone feels like that, but I hope it's at least kind of understandable why somebody might be?

I'm like this. But with the Confederacy.

gently caress the Confederacy.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Funky Valentine posted:

I wonder how the new culture mechanics in The Cossacks would realistically work.

"ATTENTION PEOPLE OF SKANE, YOU ARE REQUIRED NOW TO ADOPT THE CUSTOMS AND SPEAK THE LANGUAGE OF THE NENETS. YOU ARE TO TAKE NENET NAMES AND PRACTICE THEIR RELIGION. FROM THIS DAY FORTH, ANY MAN FOUND SPEAKING THE SWEDISH LANGUAGE WILL BE WHIPPED PUBLICALLY."

It does seem weird and gamey that you can convert your own state culture to another one. I'm assuming it works with a very large dose of hand-waving abstraction, and shouldn't be interpreted as a state action. Some sort of natural migration/demographic change which you pay for with monarch points as the 4th wall breaking player instead of the nation.

EDIT: My immersion. :negative:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Animated leaders. No animated .gif.

:mad:

Sounds exciting though. Wanna push all those buttons.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Another Person posted:

How do you play Viccy 2?

Please don't ask us to enable your self abuse. Seek help from a medical professional.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

The Sharmat posted:

Vicky 2 is extremely cool and good.

Here's everything you need to know about the economy in V2:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

VerdantSquire posted:

Pops were amazing because they added a sort of character to your nation. Not only did the fact that they were independent actors capable of influencing the player from the inside of their nation make them an interesting gameplay component, but just their presence gave the player an idea of what their nation actually looked like. Pops were a great idea that I will defend to the death, and I'm really happy that they'll be in Stellaris.

I love the concept of pops, but vicky is painful.

SET NATIONAL FOCUS: +2.1% cheesemaker daily dissatisfaction amelioration rate!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Oooh... I hope there's a 'Government Reform' path for the USA where you or the AI can go Red or Business Plot or whatever, and really gently caress things ups.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

DStecks posted:

Why the gently caress was "secret" even a prefix?

This is what baffles me.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Crash74 posted:

Has there been any Stellaris News lately?

They're doing dev diaries every monday.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Fuligin posted:

Very true, although by late antiquity the idea had diffused enough that people in Britain and Egypt could bothl unselfconsciously call themselves "Romans" and citizens of "Romania."

Yeah, some Greeks in Thrace even had a go at cosplaying as "Romans". :lol:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Didn't you get the notice, Groogy? Your office is being relocated to the Rome themed room in Paradox's brand new office. :shobon:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Groogy posted:

October 27th, 2015 is a day I will always remember. It was the day I became cynical, bitter, and distraught. You may call it an overreaction for me to feel this way simply because of the helleniophilic disposition of a few internet forum posters, but let me explain what all of this means to me.

My life was thrown off balance and I never regained my footing after that day, because I lost my ability to respect. An essential part of being human is to feel respect for those who may or may not be deserving of it. But it is equally human to feel painful disillusionment when someone or something you respected turns out to be much less than you thought. But the level of betrayal I felt when Fintilgin told me the theme of my new Office tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Dude, it's not like they stuck you in the Diplomacy room.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Tuskin38 posted:

Paradox's new office. Looks nice.

http://imgur.com/a/sHEPd

That looks like a fun place to work. Congrats to Paradox. :)

Hope no one finds a bug in the code printed on the wall.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baronjutter posted:

I do hope it's really easy to make empire graphics though. Simple 2d portraits and some txt files or what ever. Workshop will be full of cool race sets.

Yeah:

Aerie posted:

Yes, modders will be able to add their own portraits, none moving. And if you have the skills, you will likely be able to create your own moving one too.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Koramei posted:

Anyone know what they mean by moving portraits in this? It's been brought up in a few places but it's been pretty vague- is it just people blinking/ aliens dripping slime and gnashing mandibles, or are we talking fully animated with people turning their heads and gesticulating and so on, or something in between?

They haven't shown or said. From the look of the portraits though, I'm guessing it's mostly blinking, twitching mandables, and bobbing heads. Layered 2d art with some movement rules.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

ArchangeI posted:

If Hitler had instead ordered the advance on Moscow, he would have won the war easily.

Maaaaaaaaaybe? Or maybe the Nazi's would have wound up with a burnt out husk of Moscow (with longer supply lines) and the Russians poised for a even more effective winter counter offensive that could have encircled Moscow and done an early Stalingrad.

There's a chance the fall of Moscow could have resulted in a collapse of the Soviet government... but I'm not sure I'd put money on it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

BBJoey posted:

that you ignored the bit about the "honourable SS" is telling, kameraden

Welp.

:negative:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

quote:

Fredrik Wester is secretive about whether Paradox Interactive, with the acquisition of the White Wolf, now approaching an IPO. There is something both big stall owner and investor Peter Lindell previously announced.

Paradox goes public. Bought by some giant publisher. Everything turns to poo poo. :negative:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Kavak posted:

Great, now I'm depressed :smith:

It's like you're watching Fred Wester in a horror movie, and he's like "Hurr, let's split up guys. We can cover more ground that way." :downs:

And you're shouting at the screen and throwing popcorn because it's such a stupid idea.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
If that article is right and Paradox really had 500 million in sales this year, they could probably just flat out fund an Obsidian Vampire RPG, and not even bother with kickstarter.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Daeren posted:

Bloodlines 2 by Obsidian is, on its own, probably enough to justify a couple million dollars for the entire IP warehouse.

Yep. I've never been into World of Darkness particularly, but a polished cool Bloodlines 2 would be fantastic. It was great to have a modern day RPG, and I think it's something Obsidian has expressed interest in before.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Drakhoran posted:

500 million Swedish Kronor, or about 60 million US Dollars. That might be enough to fund a single AAA game if they felt like betting the company on it. Paradox have been doing pretty well lately, but they're not really up there with the big boys yet.

Ah. That makes sense. I thought 500 million US seemed really high and impressive.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Looking at that I think a good DLC/big expansion for HOI4 would be one that takes the game into the mid/late 50s and assumes that the Cold War is going to go hot or at least allow you make it do so.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah if they do Cold War DLC it would have to be some sort of althist thing to extend the timeline through the 50s allowing for a post- peace conference showdown.

Yeah, I was picturing more an early coldwar themed sandbox extension that lets you fight some early cold war conflicts after smashing out your version of WW2. Systems driven based off what your history was NOT event driven based off our history.

I think a 'sandbox' DLC would be crazy fun too. Have the game randomly generate semi-balanced nations named off regions like the EUIV generator, so you've got Red Texas fighting fascist Chicago in the Great Plains or whatever. Paradox is nuts if they don't do something fun like that. Especially now that they have more robust AI and peace making rules.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Bort Bortles posted:

I would go bananas if they announced this.

It'd be great, particularly because it would let you fight in unusual places that don't see any WW2 action normally.

You'd probably want to raise infrastructure in some harsh areas like Africa just to make them more interesting to fight over. Distribute factories and stuff balanced/random, so Seville could be an industrial powerhouse while the Ruhr is poor. It'd be fun!

Add in the random maps from EUIV if you wanted to get really wild. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dapper Dan posted:

One thing I'd like to see is a Vampire: The Dark Ages game in the vein of Crusader Kings. I think that'd be pretty drat awesome

I've always wanted, still want, and always will want a 'mythic' or dark/low fantasy DLC for CKII. More Darklands than D&D. That would rule.