Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Irrational Man posted:

this was probably more of an innocent mistake whereby she just wanted to look smart and copied what she saw one time on the history channel, without realizing the difference. If it even happened at all.

Although there's (almost) no doubt that it was an innocent mistake, this really did happen, there was even an apology afterwards that I'm sure I could find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1075574

neogaf has quite a lot of SC faithful. the title of that thread alone is loving hilarious "Derek Smart just had his manhood taken by RSI's lawyers". I wonder what their mental state must be like right at this moment.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Irrational Man posted:

That's really brave of you
I've doubted her benefit since well before this particular crapstorm erupted. It's why I find this almost entirely unsurprising, while you instead are having to triple down on your denials of the obvious.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

CrazyLoon posted:

There is a significant difference between speculation, based on what some goons can see from the outside, and 7-9 employees coming from different e-mail addresses of people, that were confirmed to have worked for CIG, being able to confirm all of SA's speculation and add some additional poo poo waffles on top to boot.

I mean cripes...I never once remember anyone on the outside so much as hinting that Sandi was racist in the office.

I thought that we had a glassdoor review stating that racism was a thing in their hiring policies, which was brought up by AP in the last thread, I think somewhere between the burger threads - IIRC. If this article was published by the guardian I would trust their claim to have sources, however we are talking about gaming journalism. GAMING JOURNALISM. Did we really forget how bad they are? And IMHO there was nothing in their article that they couldn't have constructed out of reading the last SA thread together with Derek S. Twitter.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

shrach posted:

Warren Buffet once said, "Be Fearful When Others Are Greedy and Greedy When Others Are Fearful". Now might be a good time to reconsider asking for a refund and instead double down on any investments.

:bravo:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Truga posted:

FYI, RSI chat is *not* talking about this at all. As if it doesn't exist.

Yea! It sure doesn't exist! That news item, that pops up top of the game launcher?! Nope! That doesn't exist at all! :laffo:

sorla78 posted:

I thought that we had a glassdoor review stating that racism was a thing in their hiring policies, which was brought up by AP in the last thread, I think somewhere between the burger threads - IIRC. If this article was published by the guardian I would trust their claim to have sources, however we are talking about gaming journalism. GAMING JOURNALISM. Did we really forget how bad they are? And IMHO there was nothing in their article that they couldn't have constructed out of reading the last SA thread together with Derek S. Twitter.

Yea, I hear you on that and like I said...I get that this is gaming journalism and it's not a non-zero possibility, but it's still extremely unlikely they'd make up 7-9 fake email accounts and orchestrate all this poo poo for the lulz.

ˇ Ahahahahah...well, looks like Forbes thinks it's legit. :D

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 1, 2015

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
:psyboom:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...on-is-to-blame/

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Not that I care about space games, but I am really curious what would have been possible with that kind of money surrounded by competence. DS keeps saying "it's not possible", but he spent $10 million on his current garbage game where players still fall through floors, and the lighting is all sorts of hosed, so I question his understanding of tech limitations a bit. A whale like this may never happen again, so it's sad it was squandered.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CrazyLoon posted:

Yea! It sure doesn't exist! That news item, that pops up top of the game launcher?! Nope! That doesn't exist at all! :laffo:

21:31 person1 | you guys see this? https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14979-Chairmans-Response-To-The-Escapist
21:31 person2 | hope package is OP!

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
The genuinely feels like the beginning of the end. The hype bubble is going to burst and burst hard.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Agrajag posted:

I think I smell a true believer.

Hah, I get poo poo all the time from fans who accuse me of hating on the game. I'm even getting poo poo from people on twitter for linking CR's letter.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I've already seen reactions from the faithful include 'I just bought an Endeavour just to spite Derek Smart!'. Which I'm sure showed him.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Another gamergate supporter spotted.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Can't wait to read Croberts' angry email about this guy

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I confirmed my refund this morning, waiting for a reply on when I get my money :ohdear:

Chris done hosed up with that response though, holy poo poo.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ragequit posted:

Not that I care about space games, but I am really curious what would have been possible with that kind of money surrounded by competence.
$89 million has been spent on this game. Using that number and comparing the development budgets of other games... you'd get The Witcher 3 or Metal Gear Solid V.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

illectro posted:

Hah, I get poo poo all the time from fans who accuse me of hating on the game. I'm even getting poo poo from people on twitter for linking CR's letter.
You're good people. I'm sending a rocket to the Mun tonight in your honour.

I've got the suicide part of suicide burn down pat... practice makes perfect!

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Soothing Vapors posted:

Can't wait to read Croberts' angry email about this guy

Response to the Forbes Article

Recently, Forbes decided to run a scathing, rumor-filled article about Star Citizens and problems within our own offices. I want to address those concerns and let our backers know that we're making the greatest space sim ever scene.

In last season's AFC Championship game, Tom Brady led the Patriots to a 45 - 7 victory over the Indianapolis Colts. How can he have managed such a thing? What were his intentions? Before we go further I think you should know about Tom Brady and his part in InflateGate...

edit*seen not scene ruff

Madcosby fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 1, 2015

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

A second article has hit the tower

I wonder how long til the price of this digital farce deflates completely

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
I like how the Forbes writer seems to have had barely any idea how to react to Roberts' letter.

Anyways, this snowball has barely started to roll. CiG's best chance to stop it is to release a financial statement that doesn't look like poo poo, then provide a realistic outline of how they plan on finishing the game with the money they have left.

Laffo.

Director Alpha
May 18, 2014

Tinker Tailor Soldier Sperg
Any idea how far they go with refunds? UEC or gifted packaged etc? Looks like it might be time to do so. Curious about how much they are actually willing to refund.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

So uh, how hosed are you with your entertainment investment? Blink twice.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Skoll, Chris Roberts has been digging through that female journalist's twitter posts, go call the fucker creepy, tia

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

I was going to wait and see what they had to show off at CitizenCon before asking for my $60 back, but then CR decided to swan dive into the poop...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

:vince:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The Kins posted:

$89 million has been spent on this game. Using that number and comparing the development budgets of other games... you'd get The Witcher 3 or Metal Gear Solid V.

Wow, didn't think Witcher 3 was that high. drat good game though. Still, it's a different beast. I was wondering more about the transition tech between landing on planets and taking back off into space, if that were fully fleshed out with a competent team.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

CrazyLoon posted:

Yea, I hear you on that and like I said...I get that this is gaming journalism and it's not a non-zero possibility, but it's still extremely unlikely they'd make up 7-9 fake email accounts and orchestrate all this poo poo for the lulz.

ˇ Ahahahahah...well, looks like Forbes thinks it's legit. :D

Indeed, nine ex-employees and their concerted email exchange isn't digging up new information instead re-enforcing what we we already knew? This just underlines how bad Gaming Journalism is... and they wanted to be quoted as CS1 etc. I don't know, this sounds really constructed, there's a clear procedure how you quote sources in Journalism, but yeah Gaming Journalism.

Anyways, Star Citizen is going Supernova, let's see if we get a hollywood movie out of it, it definitly feels like the face-off between Chris R and Derek S is close, I am intruiged to see what happens on Citizencon. Is Chris R delivering, or is Derek S burning it down. The Pitchforks are on-site and Hyper News Network is crowdfunded to report live from the hot zone.

... and what is Dick Wulfe doing now?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

Skoll, Chris Roberts has been digging through that female journalist's twitter posts, go call the fucker creepy, tia

I did one better. I sent her a letter myself thanking her for this boon.

fakedit

youre still a creepy, obsessive motherfucker

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

holy poo poo

lmao this thread. i second this thing tanking productivity. good thing its a slow day

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Star Citizen: Fuuuuuuuuuuuck

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Skoll posted:

I did one better. I sent her a letter myself thanking her for this boon.

fakedit

youre still a creepy, obsessive motherfucker

You still need to get laid more.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

EDIT: Nevermind

Star Citizen implosion still funny however, carry on.

Rastor fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 2, 2015

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

If anyone has been sitting on a visit to the RSI offices today might be a good day to visit Santa Monica.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

You still need to get laid more.

I am not disagreeing.

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I would like to cordially invite anyone who will not be asking for a refund at this point to explain why. I can't promise anything from the other participants in the thread but I, at least, will keep an open mind and I am not asking in order to ridicule you. I'm genuinely curious.

I am staying in with my 2012 $35 in the hopes that this ends up in a class action lawsuit. With the Washington state kickstarter case ending at $1K in restitution damages per violation -- for not delivering playing cards -- a similar suit vs CIG will be a blast.

Also I am barred in NY and NJ so if it does go to (non-space)court maybe dsmart will let me join his elite cabal of east coast attorneys.

PS: I had stopped following this game between May 2013 and July 2015, when I suddenly thought one day "oh that spiritual successor to Wing commander should be out by now, let me go download it." Did a bit of research, almost bought a Redeemer and Vanguard, but reading Beer's/Eowne's threads here gave me pause. Just wanted to thank all of you (not just those two) for the posts that made me think twice.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

quote:

Thing you have to understand about this article on the escapist, is that everything from these supposed ‘sources’ (which are completely anonymous btw) are all saying the same exact thing derek smart claimed on his blog, except in the first person, not the third.

quote:

So, when CIG is still operating in a few months (which you push forward the BS claim that they can’t afford to do), will you retract this joke of an “article”? This is disgusting, and only reflects on your poor skills as a journalist. I’m embarrassed for Forbes.

quote:

My judgement made me go and donate another $1000 to the SC development because of all you so called “journalists”.
“The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.” — Chinese proverb.
"A fool and his money are soon parted" -- Chinese proverb

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

i need to see if croberts responds to forbes too lol this is some god-tier drama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
is this real life

• Locked thread