Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

This is the best game I never played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Fat and Useless posted:

Why don't people enjoy having fun? A Star Citizen-Swedish mob connection was made and we can't just get our jollies with it. Sandi shaving everyone's pubes is totally plausible but Fat Tony breaking Lesnick's legs isn't!?

Can't wait for not shitposting crew to wake up and make a video with some air-horns and dead horses to plaster on reddit. Maybe Octopode or another seraph account shows up and everyone has a good chuckle over that.

when did sandi shave everyones pubes

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013
This is so funny in retrospec

11 months ago this was posted:

Space Mafia? self.starcitizen
Submitted 11 months ago by furmp
In Star Citizen will there be organized crime groups to join as an alternative for working at a company?
I thought it might be cool for a dynamic in the static world to be companies trying to complete tasks that leave themselves vulnerable to space pirate attacks. So the rival for companies would be gangs that are structured similarly but obviously have different tasks.
A company might be a debris collecting / mining company and in order to make their money they need to haul large amounts of valuable minerals across space. Then the gang would be interested in coming in and destroying the ships and seizing the cargo. Perhaps the drawback for the pirate gangs would be that they can't qualify for insurance so they are always playing games with their assets.
Has this been discussed already? Thanks!

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

willus posted:

when did sandi shave everyones pubes

It supposedly happens every day of the month that ends with a 2, so yesterday.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ledenko posted:

Who even is this person and why is their stuffed animal so important? I'm genuinely asking, seen this wolf thing cropped up a few times and I have no idea who it's about.
He's some dude who's been unemployed for a long-rear end time, but has still thrown tens of thousands of dollars down the CIG-hole, both in ships and in buying pizza for the dev team. He also couldn't go to CitCon or whatever because of reasons that may or may not involve house arrest, so a stuffed animal was sent in his stead to be fawned over by the people he probably single-handedly covered a few months salary for. He also allegedly likes sending pictures of his weird junk to anyone with XX chromosomes, so you probably shouldn't feel too sorry about him bankrupting himself over JPEGs of Ikea catalogs.

ehzorg
May 31, 2011

all in all, just another sheet in the roll

Paladinus posted:

Just ask around. Those restaurants exist for years with hardly any customers.

Yeah hey - I was just wondering if your establishment is actually a front for la Cosa Nostra... yeah? great! Table for two please! English menus if you have 'em.

ehzorg fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 13, 2015

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If Derek actually has lawyers that let him post this with the word Heist in the title it'll be hilarious. He gets some serious credibility after CitCon, then goes and jumps the shark in spectacular fashion and gets himself rightfully sued.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Fat and Useless posted:

It supposedly happens every day of the month that ends with a 2, so yesterday.

what a kind person

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ehzorg posted:

Yeah hey - I was just wondering if your establishment is actually just a front for la Cosa Nostra... yeah? great! Table for two please! English menus please.

They have great service, they'll even launder your money while you eat.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

no_recall posted:

Conclusion: Star Citizen is a money laundering front for Mobsters using public money. Derek Smart, did we win?

lmbo

CIG accused me of money laundering in my Reddit trading days and almost closed my account

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Iron Tusk posted:

If Derek actually has lawyers that let him post this with the word Heist in the title it'll be hilarious. He gets some serious credibility after CitCon, then goes and jumps the shark in spectacular fashion and gets himself rightfully sued.

Star Citizen is not Star Citizen without Derek Smart.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Gerbil_Pen posted:

lmbo

CIG accused me of money laundering in my Reddit trading days and almost closed my account

Should of paid for protection.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

I know I am a bit off-topic here, but what was the reasoning for saying that CIG has probably a significant amount of credit at hand and does not spend the pledge money directly from 'savings' account? Can someone explain to me how this works as I don't know poo poo about finances? I know there was a post about it a while ago but I seem to be unable to find it however hard I try...

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
However entertaining it would be if this all had substance, all these guys working together again after gizwhatever doesn't exactly surprise me. There are only so many people in every industry.
If you know 'em and they are loyal and ideally also experienced/good at what they do, why not hire them if you need staff?

It is not unusual to get a job because you know someone, why do you think MBA programs are mostly "meet and great" playdates for the crotchspawn of rich people.

Iron Tusk posted:

If Derek actually has lawyers that let him post this with the word Heist in the title it'll be hilarious. He gets some serious credibility after CitCon, then goes and gets himself a tailor made set of fashionable grey boots with a really heavy feel to them and a private tour of the seafloor.

FTFY

Hopper fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 13, 2015

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Gryphon0468 posted:

His name actually is Wulf Knight in real life. Seen the letter he posted he got from the government agency which deals with Freedom of Information requests which proved Derek Smart does not have any investigations going on with regards to CIG or SC.

Today, I learned you must positively identify yourself to submit foia.

This and other dumbshit thinking makes my end of handling foia requests so much loving easier holy poo poo. When people start asking for "any and all" like pseudolawyers, you know is going to be a good curbstomp reply.

I'm not saying Derek was necessarily right about the FTC. He's a moron. He was right about foia though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Still like 10 pages behind but...

:siren: :tinfoil: :laugh:

What in the gently caress is going on. Just... What the poo poo? I can't stop laughing. Either way this rolls, internet wins.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Truga posted:

What in the gently caress is going on. Just... What the poo poo? I can't stop laughing. Either way this rolls, internet wins.

Just caught up... wow... what a ride.

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

ASK ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO SUCK OFF CHRIS ROBERTS

Iron Tusk posted:

Lol link me a single source claiming DS now has more credibility after CitCon. Every news piece I've seen has been praising CIG and a few specifically give DS the figurative finger.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Why hasn't someone already posted a timeline of TLDR that happened? Seriously.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
All you Original KS backers made this glorious thing happen.

Thank all of you.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Fat and Useless posted:

Can't wait for not shitposting crew to wake up and make a video with some air-horns and dead horses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRrvIxuuJQ4

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

I think I'm most excited to see all these other famous actors reduced to horrifying video game zombies like they did to Gazza Oldman.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SirTagz posted:

I know I am a bit off-topic here, but what was the reasoning for saying that CIG has probably a significant amount of credit at hand and does not spend the pledge money directly from 'savings' account? Can someone explain to me how this works as I don't know poo poo about finances? I know there was a post about it a while ago but I seem to be unable to find it however hard I try...

Basically, even if you have money in the bank, you might not want to use it for every-day expenses. Once you grow large enough and/or move enough money around, and especially if it's between a large number of different entities and financial institutions, the fees for all those transactions start to pile up. At that point, it often gets cheaper to use loans of some sort — lines of credit if you're small; commercial paper if you're big-time — than to handle actual cash and dump it all over the place.

By paying from a credit, which can be handled more easily and directly by the bank/institution, you can consolidate the actual cash transfers and lower the costs of keeping everyone paid.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Truga posted:

Yeah. Gotta say, I did NOT expect to see a swedish mafia connection today to this (and promptly poked CIG customer service about my refund, which still hasn't come through it seems, after the 10 days they said).

Moreso disturbing, though, is Bootcha's reaction and then his subsequent complete and utter SILENCE for several pages - which genuinely makes me worried for the guy, that he must be going through panic-induced lawyer consultations atm as well as internally screaming at the possibility of him having funded mafia hits and having his investment become blood money.

This is just...seriously, I don't even fuckin' dare to predict where this lollercoaster will go next...

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

CrazyLoon posted:

This is just...seriously, I don't even fuckin' dare to predict where this lollercoaster will go next...

dear lowtax:

Let it be scientology.. just the vaguest hint of a connection plz

Amen.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Gryphon0468 posted:

Lol link me a single source claiming DS now has more credibility after CitCon. Every news piece I've seen has been praising CIG and a few specifically give DS the figurative finger.

Mate I just want you to know, I'm thoroughly enjoying your mental breakdown and I am mightily pleased that it's only going to get better from here.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gryphon0468 posted:

He correctly called what they would do at CitCon, including the type, make, and general price of the new ship (off by $5). There is also evidence (POTATO) that the ship name was changed. He called that two people were fired and a third left on the Day of Rage. He called that Lisa was giving in her two weeks notice. All of these things point to a credible source within CIG. Now the extraordinary claims regarding CIG's financial status require extraordinary proof, but it's hard to argue that he hasn't been right about a fair number of concrete things in the last few weeks.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

alphabettitouretti posted:

That should set some alarm bells ringing. PWC have got their filthy claws in all kinds of poo poo, and having an accountant onboard who knows about corporate tax could be very useful if you wanted to avoid paying the full rate.

PWC are absolutely massive and an incredible number of companies use their services. Let's not go totally insane here.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Press after the demos has been overwhelmingly positive. The demo was basically Steam Greenlight Walking Simulator quality, but everything that needs to happen for a single player game roughly worked in the SQ42 demo, and nobody seems to be hanging on the fact that the multiplayer was jittery even on a local network.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Who is going to snap and have a mental break first? Derek or Chris. Either way we're in for a wild ride.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Should be what the chris.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Eldragon posted:

So was it CR's micromanagement and "vision" the hosed illfonic, or are they incompetent and did it to themselves and got canned? I honestly have no idea but odds are a few of those guys are DSmart's sources.

The main reason for the FPS being late is simply because many parts of it are being done over again. The the original plan for SM was for Illfonic to produce a separate module as a tech demo for testing, as well as the underlying tech that would enable FPS interaction into all parts of the game. This, and other separate modules were worked in parallel via SCRUM, with a distinct set of back-end and base code tenets communicated between the teams.

By the time Illfonic were ready to deliver seven months ago, most of their work in the branch had become pretty incompatible with the other branches (not strictly their fault). At the same time, communication and management across the teams was pretty bad (take a look at the internal re-structuring letter CR sent the day before talking about communication challenges, single man outpost syndrome etc), and the goals themselves were shifted a couple of times by CR himself (development iteration). Illfonic had a pretty good system nailed down, including FPS animations, 0g combat and half of the work on two maps/modes (sataball and the station).

CR didn't like the output - especially in the animations front, and he instructed Illfonic to add mocap stuff that was done in another branch and integrate it into FPS. Then he found out that the underlying code and hooks that Illfonic had were pretty much far gone/incompatible with what he wanted to change/add. He chose to promote Erins branch (which was also doing FPS in parallel for Sq42) and ended Illfonic participation in the project.

The following months, foundry42 was trying to make use of what assets and tech they got from Illfonic so that they could present the module as advertised. The removed 0g gameplay, the sataball map, jukes and after a lot of trial and error come to the conclusion that they had to re-do a lot of back-end stuff to bring the branch forward into the merged main. This is where we are now.

So, we are getting some FPS functionality on 2.0, and SM (as a separate game/mode like AC with the two maps, 0g arena combat and jukes) probably some time after that.

For posterity sake, this was a standard problem in SCRUM communication on the highest management level, as well as something we have seen a lot of time until now (revisions and remakes of the same assets on the micro level).

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

He correctly called what they would do at CitCon, including the type, make, and general price of the new ship (off by $5). There is also evidence (POTATO) that the ship name was changed. He called that two people were fired and a third left on the Day of Rage. He called that Lisa was giving in her two weeks notice. All of these things point to a credible source within CIG. Now the extraordinary claims regarding CIG's financial status require extraordinary proof, but it's hard to argue that he hasn't been right about a fair number of concrete things in the last few weeks.

Not to mention specifically naming Gary Oldman walking on stage, among all the other actors they hired.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
My day just got a lot more interesting. This is like a soap opera.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I remain amazed at the capability of this thread to deliver.

You of all people should not.

Also Star Citizen: An offer you can't refuse

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Gryphon0468 posted:

His name actually is Wulf Knight in real life. Seen the letter he posted he got from the government agency which deals with Freedom of Information requests which proved Derek Smart does not have any investigations going on with regards to CIG or SC.

derp. you don't understand what the FOIA actually covers, do you? please call 1 (800) 273-8255

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CrazyLoon posted:

Yeah. Gotta say, I did NOT expect to see a swedish mafia connection today to this (and promptly poked CIG customer service about my refund, which still hasn't come through it seems, after the 10 days they said).

Moreso disturbing, though, is Bootcha's reaction and then his subsequent complete and utter SILENCE for several pages - which genuinely makes me worried for the guy, that he must be going through panic-induced lawyer consultations atm as well as internally screaming at the possibility of him having funded mafia hits and having his investment become blood money.

He also could have, you know, gone to sleep.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wulfling posted:

Whats that old phrase? Lets run this poo poo into the ground!

:regd08:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Iron Tusk posted:

He also could have, you know, gone to sleep.

I hope so lol. I mean, I frikking love his SC parody videos the most. I'd hate for him to be in genuine moral and legal panic over Crib Robbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Bingo! :smug::hf::smug: