Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Cutlass Shrugged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Literally Kermit posted:

Where in the gently caress are all those ships kept, anyway?

Most of them don't even exist enough to be put in a hangar. I think they halted a lot of progress (such as it was) on the big ships because they were going to have boarding and most weren't designed to be fun maps to FPS in.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

nopantsjack posted:

Its somewhat of a moot point, because they can't. They might end up with an incredibly unstable sorta planetside/E:D game though.

Speaking of unstable planetside/E:D I've been playing Angels Fall First.

Some rough edges and a lot of systems that aren't fantastically explained at this point, but having fun so far. The visual design is pretty great and the gameplay feels a lot like planetside 1 mashed up with Battlefront 1/2 in a lot of ways

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Decrepus posted:

Chris Roberts: I'm not a game developer. There's no "Roberts Space Industries" We don't have a game.
Dick Wulf: [looking at PC screen] But there it is...
Chris Roberts: The game is just jpgs.
Dick Wulf: But, I see many ships.
Chris Roberts: You've seen concepts that look like ships. Our flight model is... is Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing. And our cargo system is... it's Bejeweled. It's an illusion. It's all fake. Just like me.
Dick Wulf:

Never give up
Never surrender (your pledge)

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Young Freud posted:

I'm guessing this was sometime in 2013, when prior to when Frontier released the Elite: Dangerous playable alpha to backers, or 2014, when they actually released a finished game. If it was this year, we're seeing the release of a whole bunch of expansions through the winter as well as the X-Box One version being released this Tuesday.

Also, C-Rob is only responsible for something like 8 games, but Frontier has produced more than double that. They might be stuff like Roller Coaster Tycoon and Dog's Life, but at least they were finished projects.
Whoa holy poo poo they did dogs life?

https://youtu.be/QcmluR2qMHc

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Every guest at CitizenCon will receive a complimentary "I funded the lawsuit!" T-shirt

Also awaiting Hulk Hogan being announced as the keynote speaker

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Still wish Derek Smart would gently caress off. Every time I see him talk about this game, a tiny part of me wants to see Star Citizen succeed just to spite him. Like I fully agree with him, but everything about him is just so obnoxious and annoying.

I've been trying to tell my buddy (who has the $100 Freelancer package) how hosed CIG is now but the moment he saw Derek's name in the articles he tuned it the gently caress out. For someone with a financial incentive for SC to succeed who hasn't been reading thousand page threads DSs continued involvement is a distraction.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Bootcha posted:

I HAVE BEEN INFUSED WITH GREAT PURPOSE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGRsEF953n0

Ripped from the threadlines!!

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Been doggedly trying to keep up with this thread at work. Finally got caught up

Escapist (much like Tom Petty) won't back down and doubt has been planted in the minds of the faithful over at reddit.

What a day.

In other news, telling my buddy with the Freelancer some of the points from the thread and he was definitely surprised they'd do something as dumb as threatening to sue a media outlet. I introduced him to the concept of getting a refund and told him about Angels Fall First and he was definitely thinking about it.

Game is still choppy as hell but it's definitely has the feeling of the best of Battlefield 2142 and Battlefront II

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Man even the criticisms of Star Citizen get delayed. :(

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Missed the page, where is this 20k espresso thing coming from?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

"Hi there I have your delivery of lies here you need to sign for it"

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Does ED really suck? I was under the impression that it's still some kind of early beta release and that more content is coming?

It's a solid game, but most of the storytelling and world building you have to look for. It's a big ol' sandbox without any gigantic "you must go here" goals. It's a finished game, but they've added lots of new features in the updates. They're going to do planetary landings on barren planets by the holidays (with a mako type buggy) and multicrew after that.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

OhDearGodNo posted:

They also could have make witchspace (or whatever) more like the warp.

Things like that add atmosphere. There were a lead things in ED that blew me away, like when you come into a system and you decelerate right in front of a star, and bank away reactively.

Or dogfighting around a capital.

But other than that, it was a lot of traveling, worrying about fuel, annoying interdictions, and so much emptiness.

I'm happy to see gigantic PLACES in the CQC areas, one of the bummers about the game right now is that there aren't a lot of gigantic things besides stations and space rocks to fly around. There need to be gigantic facilities like space docks, ancient wreckage mines, etc.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Dusty Lens posted:

According to some brown sea forum PM I just received.

So, I guess if that's true, kinda deflates the super secret value of any information concerning what's going to be the big 'ol crazy secret ship thing at the great con.

I guess start the timer to when they announce you can buy special armor for your ship that prevents boarding ships latch on.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Everyone post your favorite promised Star Citizen features (aside from it existing):

- the entire concept of an information courier
- cargo actually being modeled and simulated down to the individual item

-Elaborate drink serving minigame

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Somebody already posted it but they sure managed to create a more ironic ship title than Hope.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Well there goes my day.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I'm the N64 era fog.
Can't WAIT for the Turok crossover announcement

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

The Kins posted:

I found this spaceship mpeg behind my couch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S01H7NIAd4

I lost it at Spacie Post, well done

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

See you in Diverse!

I love this thread.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Romes128 posted:

i almost feel sorry for the hangar for housing so many failures.

:haw:

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So far so good.

Its traditional to wear black when you're attending a funeral.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I'm still at page 334 but the gary oldman face pics posted here made me laugh louder than any single thing I've ever seen on the internet.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

This whole mocap thing is basically LA: Noire again. Tech designed to replicate at much higher cost what you could do with a greenscreen or physical sets instead.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

moisturize me

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Tarranon posted:

ordinarily i hate doing this but even I can't do three thousand new posts, has a deece summary of anything amazing been posted anywhere or is that collection of mediocrity posted above it

I'm a dozen pages behind but

-Started the stream late

-Countdown clock to begin the con was hilariously glitched

-Sandi gives a speech that sounds a lot like a resignation speech and gets handed a fuckin' bouquet at the end (she doesn't resign)

-Chris comes on stage and reads a very modest list of bare minimal changelogs to uproarious applause

-They show off an incredibly generic and awkward FPS sequence without actual FPSing going on.

-Star Citizen: The joystick!

-Recruit your "friends" and get "rewards"

-Gary Oldman! Gillian Anderson! John Rhys Davies!...in extremely awkward mo-cap rigs. This is seriously a It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World level of celebrity cameos.

-Multi-Crew and FPS are being rolled up into a big new update...but we won't give you an ETA *applause*

-They hastily renamed the ship that D Smart predicted from Vindicator to Sabre, but the website had POTATO in place of the changed name when the page was made live.

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 10, 2015

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Today was definitely the day to ditch the "well the PU is probably hosed but at least they might be able to deliver a decent wing commander single player game"

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Well today was a little light on content but good thing Citizencon is two days long

...right?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I would believe in a heartbeat that Croberts and co would pay tens of thousands for the rights to sing a song that was public domain in the US.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Unfunny Poster posted:

Angels Fall First is a game that basically is doing everything Star Citizen is trying to do, but done competently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqkqysFrjCk
The shooting has a lot of problems and there's not a lot of feedback for when you're actually hitting another person. The netcode still has a long way to go and targeting enemy ships is pretty rudimentary. That being said, when the game is going just right you can see stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtM5CUt-Qck
Landing on a ship, blowing it up from the inside and escaping with a stolen enemy ship seconds before the cap ship explodes is everything that Star Citizen could only dream of at this point.

Octopode posted:

At some point when running towards a brick wall, the prudent person will stop.

C'mon man. I don't get on the hate bandwagon but you are always stubborn to point of contrariness. Where most people will say "we'll agree to disagree" or "this hill isn't worth dying on" you will argue just for arguements sake. I get you want to see the best in the game, but that is a point of view that just does not have a lot of facts to back itself up right now.

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 11, 2015

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA3WxjplKzo

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Sarsapariller posted:

Is that a cellular peptide cake?

Oh god nobody's going to get that.

At what point will Derek Smart open up his chest and find an old timey phone inside

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Nalin posted:

We have two Goonrathi servers up for Angels Fall First. The lag isn't as bad as it was on release and the developers seem to know the major causes of it, so it should only get better. It's pretty impressive for being the creation of only a couple people, and hopefully they make enough money on Steam to afford better sound effects because wow, some of those guns sound bad.

Yeah, it was pretty cool. I tweeted a suggestion to the devs and they replied pretty quick that they'd check it out.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Sappo569 posted:

Agggh!

On an unrelated note, how come the usual faces were totally absent from the whole presentation?

Lesnick, Disco, ..... wait who else is left that they haven't fired?

I guess Chris decided things would go smoother if he was the only one

Nobody upstages Sandi during her big moment.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Ok I had to skim the last 3000 posts, where did that amazing face texture come from.

They used a complicated rig to record gary oldman's face and it outputs the standard videogame character head texture, but with creepy levels of detail

It also resulted in: https://twitter.com/PrototypeCube/status/652958444593520640

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

nopantsjack posted:

The Story So Far

The initial drama
Derek Smart is Derek Smart, trolls Star Citizen for a few months.
The Escapist publishes a peice where employees of CIG accuse Chris and Sandy of mismanagement, waste of funds and specifically Sandy of racism and muff-hating.
Chris Roberts posts a big meltdown on the Star Citizen site accusing Escapist of manufacturing sources/beleiving disgruntled employees/being Derek Smart/being Gamergate.
One day later CIG threaten Escapist with a defamation suit against the claims on Sandy (notably no claims to do with the money) unless they apologise and remove the article within 24 hours.
The Escapist says no, and commits to further investigation.

Pre-Citicon:
Derek Smart predicts a ship called the Vindicator will come out and it'll be $175 and a fighter, he does this through Beer who gets banned from the CIG forums for it.
Much shitposting.

Citicon:
After a brief delay and schizophrenic countdown timer, Citicon opens with a tearful speech from Sandy where she appeals to backers to think on the deep social connections they've forged by buying theoretical spaceships together, hypes Star Citizen as the pinnacle of human endeavour. This all sounds like a resignation and she's given going-away flowers, but doesn't leave.
gently caress you, Derek #1: "Anonymous hate campaign" + Look how much Sandy's underlings like her She also drops that she and Chris are married and this has "never been a secret" which is untrue.

Chris waddles on stage and mumbles through his nose and giggles, after showing how many devblog programs they've made the first thing he does is show off how many people he has working for him to disprove allegations of shrinking studio sizes. (gently caress you, Derek #2)
Chris lists the only stuff that is probably coming out soon, and its basically two weapons and buggies and the ability to respawn after you die.

After months of delays Star Marine is quietly scrapped and the development process is reversed and is no longer modular, now they're going to combine all the modules into one alpha to be released at an undisclosed time. gently caress You, Derek #3: "Everyone always yells at me when I give you release dates so I won't anymore."

Chris manages to fail at Powerpoint and can't make the next slide work.
Chris declares the alpha map to be the biggest ever in a game but compares it with Daggerfall and Skyrim rather than Elite, EVE or No Man's Sky which are much larger.

At some point they show off the state of this combined alpha, which is basically the multicrew demo from earlier roughly combined with the Star Marine module, it still looks very choppy and extremely pre-alpha, tellingly in a 4v4 firefight none of the shooting is captured on camera.
From the looks of it its entirely possible to lose whole space systems by not being good enough at FPSes. This is the only "gameplay" shown in the whole presentation, and involves mostly walking and some taking off, travelling and landing in space ships, ostensibly some people shooting assault rifles and then getting back in a ship.

A guy introduces a neat map app thats actually available now in browser and seems to work, making it the most polished game to come out of the kickstarter so far. You can plan your space camping trip routes in a game that won't exist for 2 years maybe never. The guy running the demo nearly dies from stage fright.

Chris talks about a night club called the Million Mile High Club where presumably people will gently caress eachother in space. This will probably also come out in some form, since its just a map people can walk around in, will support up to 25 players lol habbo hotel tech.

Some other guy intros an unpriced super joystick/keyboard/throttle addon that looks like hot dogshit but the guy doing the presentation is the only human that comes on stage for the whole thing. Chris fucks up at the reveal at every opportunity continuing the trend of Chris not being able to do anything.

They intro the Referral program with a video made by the one man who doesn't know how to say referral. The new "refral" program basically encourages faithful Citizens to recruit new players to buy this nonexistant game or buy 25 new accounts to get themselves a gaudy gold ship skin.
Possibly before this they announce a new ship that is totally the Vindicator, but has been renamed the Saber and sliced $5 off the price. (gently caress you, Derek #4)
They also announce a new $2500 military ship pack to go with Squadron42.

Halfway through the event and Chris is now just going to talk about Squadron 42 for the next hour, everyone is super excited to see what they have to show.

They have videos of the motion cap studio they set up themselves and reveal that Gary Oldman is in it and show a trailer showing CG Gary Oldman doing an old man voice with a muppet mouth before bragging about their facial animation in another video. They reveal a bunch of celebrities such as Scully, Luke Skywalker and Gimli are also in it as well as Sandi Gardiner. In brief interviews Gary Oldman looks guarded or despondant and compares Chris to Lucas.

They show us the first Squadron 42 gameplay ever revealed and its one big walking cutscene where they tour the ship and nothing else happens, the voices and perfomances are okay but this... isn't a game and there are bugs everywhere even for this one slice they have made, the first guy you see's hair takes 10 seconds to appear, another guy has a luminous mouth like his soul is trying to escape. All the black characters are carrying luggage or cargo in the background.
The animations range from decent mocap to shockingly rudimentary. Release date is set as 2016 which is laughable for anyone watching.

Chris goes loving mental for like 25 minutes about how many hours of cutscenes the game has and how huge its script is and it becomes chillingly apparent to everyone he's just found a way to reignite his hollywood dreams off the backs of nerds with poor judgement.
He gets an underling to bring him the script and then throws it on the floor to show how huge it is, then turns around and leaves him to pick it up, then realises he's supposed to be pretending to be nice and squawks out an apology and does his weird Hyih Hyih giggle.

Cake Time! CIG make a final bid to fill time and distract people from the fact the game doesn't exist and they showed 10 minutes of gameplay and they just told everyone none of the stuff they've been waiting for is coming out and they're going to have to indefinitly wait for an alpha that currently doesn't exist in any releaseable way.
They have brought a big birthday cake and they try and figure out a way to get the cake on a table from where it is 4 feet to the right to centre stage, which takes an army of techies and employees much hemming and hawing.
A put-upon looking stage assistant lights the candles as Chris giggles and introduces his all male, all white staff. "Happy Birthday, Star Citizen" they sing. The cake has 3 candles on it because its 3 years since the dream of Star Citizen and Star Citizen is just a dream.
Chris tries to blow out the candles and sprays spit all over them with a big ol' raspberry.
Chris makes two tentative cuts to the cake, asking the whole time how you cut cake and apologising like a man who has never seen a cake nor indeed a knife before.
Chris gives up immediately, nobody is getting any cake because he just can't figure this out, he tells the techies to cut the cake but then decides against it and announces the show is over.

I now know why I was put here on this earth, it was to make the longest post about Star Citizen nobody will ever want to read.
I skipped a lot of the video because it was boring as poo poo, this post is great.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Star Citizen: Sunk Cost Motion Picture Company

vvv That's where the post went, was gonna quote it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Young Freud posted:

Having worked at Suncoast a long time ago, this made my day.

RIP in peace Suncoast. For that time it was the most nerd friendly store in the mall that wasn't named "Electronics Boutique". And where the gently caress else was I gonna get expensive rear end VHS Ranma episodes from in 1996?

Hammerstein posted:

Imagine if CR had been in charge back then. We would be goose-stepping to march music all day long.
Roberts was Prime Minister in the world of Wolfenstein: The New Order

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 12, 2015

• Locked thread