Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

As part of the inevitable disaster after-action report, I would really like to see someone map out all the bajillion ancillary systems and mechanics they've “designed”, and then try to connect the dots to see if there's anything in there that actually resembles a coherent game dynamic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

B-level is many levels higher than Z-level, so that should count as being very close to the top, right?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Madcosby posted:

I'll try and make myself clear, I know it's difficult to hold your attention without dangling a jpg of a spaceship and a price tag in front of your faces but here goes

Ask for a refund. Get it. Sell ships on reddit, whatever, but dont hold on. Don't hold on to one ship "just in case". Chris Roberts is a scam artist. The more successful this scam gets, the more this scam will perpetuate into other gaming development. Stop posting new ships. This thread should be about how to get your refunds, not about acting as Chris' middle-men for selling his garbage. Dont hold on. You are being scammed.

a project so strong derek smart could knock it over

Sarsapariller's first comment still seems very apt.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Madcosby posted:

Ap claims I keep posting poo poo he already knows yet still thinks a game is coming out and a jpg of a spaceship might be "worth holding on to"

Hence why I have to keep repeating myself.

:cawg:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

trust me Ben Lesnick and Chris Roberts are already doing their best to make sure that happens.

Maybe he's :lesnick:'s parachute account, trying to do some strategic undercover work outside CIS?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What are the odds that Chris Robert's movie level cast is literally the cast of Firefly?

That would certainly be topper leveller tier actors that what I think they're going for. So yay-ish?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

shrach posted:

Let's talk about UK legislation. Specifically the Companies Act 2006.

It is now the 1st of October 2015 in the UK and that means that Roberts Space Industries International Ltd is now in breach of UK law by failing to file its accounts with Companies House. It joins its parent company, Cloud Imperium Games UK Ltd in this regard (missed their deadline 18 days ago). Foundry 42 Ltd failed to file their accounts a little over three months ago and as such have reached stage 3 of the 4 stage financial penalty. The final stage is after six months.

Additionally it is the directors of a company that are legally responsible for ensuring that the accounts are filed on time. Therefore Christopher Roberts, Erin David Roberts, and Ortwin Sam Freyermuth are breaking UK law multiple times by failing to do so for each of the three companies.

What does this mean in practical terms? Initially for the companies, not too much. A company incurs a penalty of £150 for late filing. At one month this is £375, three months is £750 and after six months it is £1,500.

That covers the companies but what about directors themselves? My own words felt inadequate here so I looked up quotes to avoid any ambiguity (their emphasis, not mine).

I'm not sure I really need to add anything else. Perhaps... this is a good sign for Star Citizen. It shows that the directors are so focussed on making the computer game that they have complete disregard for the law?

Wasn't the quoted reason why there would be no chairman videos for a while that croberts was going to the UK? I wonder if this would be the best time to do so. :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

When I was young I was going to get a swingset for the garden for my birthday but for some reason when we got to the toy shop I changed my mind at the last second and got one of these:

It was a lump of poo poo and I knew it pretty much as soon as I got it home, I didn't want to be ungrateful so I played with the slug shaped pile of crap all summer but looking back I think this is where my deep seated hatred of all things Sci Fi comes from.

Look on the bright side. You can now buy this slug and relive those old memories.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Generally when describing combat CIG would just say "Newtonian physics!!!" Over and over again.

Have they ever even come close to being able to articulate why this could somehow remotely be seen as something that at a very long distance could possibly, with the best of intent, be confused with something that might at first glance be confused for a good idea?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

quote:

The popular consensus among most of the people who reached out is that Chris Roberts is not intentionally a con man. "He doesn't set out in the morning to screw anybody over. He's just incredibly arrogant,"
I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse… :eng99:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sarsapariller posted:

Oh good we crowdfunded a crowdfunding engine that is now being sold.

Something something crowdception. :nallears:

CLAM DOWN posted:

oh my god, the stuff about Sandi in that article...

SC is a wonderful nightmare. Every time you think “wow, now we really have strayed into hyperbole”, something comes out that makes the old seem entirely sensible in comparison.

I made a glib comparison with Enron in the old thread but at this point it's really getting eerily similar, in terms of style and attitude if not in terms of scope. :suspense:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

BadOptics posted:

"Early 2015". hahaha.

I need to figure out if my supervisor happens to secretly be a gamer. It would be the best excuse ever the next time he complains about my handing in texts late: “yeah, I know… but at least it's not Star Citizen.”

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

KM Scorchio posted:

Some of you are still buying space ships, aren't you?

Yes. In EVE.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

So yes SC is finally dead?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Zmej posted:

chris what are you doing lol

literally chasing dsmart down the metaphorical gamergate hole. this can't real

Among all the accusations levelled against crandi, engaging in good crisis management and providing level-headed responses are not part of it.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

This has gone far beyond :munch: -- we're in spacemunch territory now

I like it and even though it calls itself a jpeg, I will not pay for it. Yoink.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 1, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Hey now. That's not really a fair comparison. Nazi harpies were probably crucial in putting BMW engines in Messerschmitts and constructing some fairly spiffy motorways. All she's done is drive one of the worst BMWs ever built on top of some filed-down sandstone.

They also play an important role in a number of hilarious *sploitation movies from the '70s — she's not quite there yet…

Tippis fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 1, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Kimsemus posted:

I hate this thread. I used to browse other threads, but so much good poo poo happens here that I look at the clock and suddenly I've wasted half the work day and I've clicked like 3 things.

Was at least one of those things work-related? If so, your work efficiency is probably only slightly above average. :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Kimsemus posted:

One was clicking on the Escapist article, one was clicking on the CIG response, one was F5ing this thread a lot.

Aaaaaaaaand I just got a text wondering why I skipped an employee lunch outing.

... I was not even aware up until now it was past noon.

You should just tell them “check this out — it's the most hilarious corporate meltdown ever” and really tank the productivity for the day. That way, it won't look as bad in comparison.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Truga posted:

So did CR actually refute any claims there? Or are we still in the Baghdad Bob phase?

It seemed more like a Chewbacca defence than a Bagdhad Bob denial.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Randarkman posted:

The most important person in any creative project is the person who can say "no" without being fired.

There are these very rare occasions when I miss some kind of upvote function on these here forums thingies. +54 right here.
“No” in general is probably one of the most important words when engaged in any kind of process.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Thirsty Dog posted:

Ender is Literally Hitler, though.

Nah, that's his brother. Ender is more like Reinhard Heydrich. :D
Also, I think Ender was supposed to feel sorry for his genocide, but with Card you never really know…

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Hammerstein posted:

Nah, I mean I love to laugh about the current fiasco just as much as any goon while egging Derek Smart on, but the writer of this article does not understand the context of the whole thing, otherwise he would not describe the WC series so underwhelmingly.

I'm in my 30ies now and back then, when I played Wing Commander and later Strike Commander on my first pc (a 386 and later a 486 and Strike Commander didn't really become "good" until you had at least a Pentium), these were incredibly impressive games. Wing Commander was one of the main reasons to be a pc gamer in the early 90ies and there were only few games which came close in popularity, like Indy and the Fate of Atlantis, the Monkey Island Saga or Ultima VII. If you weren't a teen or maybe in your twens back then, then you won't understand what this game did for the pc gaming crowd.

Thing is that the most rabid backers are now in the 30 and 40+ crowd and have probably played Wing Commander, Strike Commander and Privateer and this holy trinity is the reason why they believe in CR. It's the Lucas effect, just because someone did something awesome many years ago (and was influenced by a great team), does not mean he can do it again, this time as the god-king of the empire of man-children.

Tl, dr,: Wing Commander, Strike Commander and Privateer were incredible games back then and the thick haze of nostalgia clouds the mind of many.

He still has a very valid point: those games were incredible due to their presentation. I think I said this in the old thread too: they had visual production quality that hadn't been seen before, but a large part of this was due to them pushing the envelope of what hardware could actually do, often to the point of not really being playable on available computers on release. The problem is that it wasn't game design or a core idea that kept them from happening sooner — only feasibility.

Strike Commander was horrible as flight sim; the WC series was laughably simplistic in terms of space fighting; the storylines were the most generic imaginable. Once it became possible to make these games and have them run on regular hardware, they were all instantly surpassed in the presentation area just as much as they were in terms of gameplay and concept.

If you've ever gone back to an old move that was bland in every way except for the having really good VFX for the time, it's the same thing: it no longer has neat VFX, even in comparison because a year later everyone was doing the same, and now it's just bland in every way.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Hammerstein posted:

Thing is that the presentation and the game were the same thing, because what made these games so incredible is that one thing flowed into the other, something that no other game had done back in 1990. :words:

…but again, it was only presentation. The actual gameplay, as neatly presented as it was, was entirely meh. The branching cinematic structure wasn't new either, but rather borrowed from the likes of Cinemaware — hell, it was the name of the company. What they did at Origin was to merge that with something slightly more complex than a static-screen minigame, which I'll admit was kind of neat neat.

But at the same time, actual dynamic gameplay, as opposed to canned branches, was plentiful in the (flight)sim genre, which had far better actual gameplay (and AI) to boot. The real difference is that the simplified gameplay and the spiffy presentation offered by the *Commander games made watered-down versions of those sims more approachable to a general public (if they had the next-gen computers to run them). By the time system of that could run those games were commonplace, other games were out that did the same thing better. Often, they were better by virtue of cutting down on the cinematic stuff and focusing on gameplay…

The guy who posted that question simply didn't have the nostalgia filter that allowed presentation to drown out a mediocre gameplay — even compared to the games' contemporaries. He accurately pinpoints the one thing that made the games stand out but which, funnily enough, also makes them less impressive in the long run. They were only incredible in that they were the first to offer that presentation, and they were only the first because most developer aimed at a more sensible platform.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

HKS posted:

Can someone with vast WC knowledge say whether or not CR really had everything to do with its success?

Like for example Warren Spector is listed as a co-producer of Wing Commander 1, 2, lost missions, and privateer. He also went on to make Deus Ex with a large budget(for it's time) as the head, while their sister studio went on to make Daikatana under the same conditions.

From what I understand, CR was always the guy who wanted to make the movie game — he's been wanting that for 25+ years now. Spector was probably the guy who reigned him in. He was their Allan Ladd Jr. to CR's George Lucas. The deal with Daikatana is partly rockstar-devs gone wild, but mostly how creativity and mechanics need to come together to make a good game. The classic comparison is that it's the Mr. Hyde to Quake 2's Dr. Jekyll — the two games show what happens if you have creativity without sensible gameplay mechanics, and what happens with rock-solid gameplay that are used without any kind of creativity.

Alchenar posted:

Basically any successful game made between 1990 and 1995 forms part of a process whereby the games industry defined the genres that would dominate the increasingly formulaic way games got made for the next 10-15 years. Wing Commander was quickly surpassed, but it still deserves credit for being the game that laid down the path everyone else followed. People copied WC, they didn't copy *several games we've all forgotten because it was 1990 and they weren't very good*.

I think this says essentially, but more charitably, what I'm trying to say. WC took part in defining what a cinematic game should be like and what a light-weight space shooter should provide. The formula was soon iterated on by other games that made refinements and improvements. WC also got lot of things wrong, but that's par for the course when a new genre is in the making, and as we can readily see today, nostalgia will often filter that out anyway.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

drat you Star Citizen thread. You made me overcook my potatoes.

It was true all along! Goons are horrible and ruin everything! :argh:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

How do you buy more ships “at” someone? :psyduck:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Madcosby posted:

you do nothing but ingest the dozens of hours of SC crap they peddle out, then detail the highlights for people here. youre basically chris' pawn on this forums, you and beer. and you do it for free. at least that ham whale they keep putting pictures of gets paid to promote chris next commercial

Reading isn't your strong suit, is it?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sarsapariller posted:

I like that, for years, this thread was basically true believers being trolled by the occasional person who'd come in and say the game was never going to be made. Now, it's flipped so hard in the other direction that the only way to really bait people is to insist that it's all a misunderstanding and things are going great.

…made particularly fun by how there's still the occasional person coming in to troll about how the game will never come out. :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Paladinus posted:

I was never trolling. Even now, when the game is just around the corner, I can say in all seriousness that it will never be released.

Not you, silly. The other guy who keeps claiming that we've been duped.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Devian666 posted:

It's worse than that. A large number of them may be hoarders. They may be writing posts about $10m worth of lawyers instead of cleaning the leaking cat goo pooling around their fridge from the dead cats that accidentally thawed out.

Book tip of the day: http://www.amazon.com/Stuff-Compulsive-Hoarding-Meaning-Things/dp/0547422555/

What's this witchcraft they're talking about — balance and gameplay design and how there must be mechanics to support it all? Such foolish heresy!

Wulfling posted:

Holy poo poo, woke up to ~700 new posts. What exploded now?
Same old, same old.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is this a game yet?

Yes. It's called “guess how much worse it can get”. Closest without going over wins.

Hal_2005 posted:

Remember that scene of the trucks infront of Archer Anderson when the Enron Scandal first broke ? I speculate Chris Roberts is trying to remember Iron Mountain's emergency shreddit 1-800 number while still tripping on a coke high
Arthur Andersen, ffs! Don't you people maniacally read after-action reports on corporate crises? What kind of non-weirdos are you?!

Tippis fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 3, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

EminusSleepus posted:

no this is not star citizen star citizen was supposed to be like this

but with the influx of sperg cash + CRs infinite vision it became like this

The vision became that, perhaps, but in practice, most trays are still missing and the one or two that are there so far only contain some half-cooked unpeeled tomatoes that are supposed to be the base sauce for an undefined meat dish, and the celery that is supposed to go in the next tray over has been sent back to the geneticist to make it look more like a juniper bush.

Meanwhile, the customers have managed to convince themselves that warmed-over meatloaf that has been sitting out in the open for an hour is vastly superior to a well-made burg.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

EminusSleepus posted:

thanks I have edited my original post :)

Perfect. :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

toggle posted:

Where's the money gone?

Who scams the scammer?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Agrajag posted:

what other realistic reason would CIG have for asking about the article from people requesting refunds?

They're quite insane?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

How do y'all pronouce Croberts?

I say it's Cro-berts but I'm sure some of y'all say its Crob-erts.

k-ROB-err…z

Obviously.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

OhDearGodNo posted:

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if CIG is doing this just to identify the sources and try to destroy their lives. If Sandi's outbursts and vindictive nature is true, it would seem more likely that the sources are the target, not the website.

This is the feeling I get as well. The Streisand effect ensures that getting stuff pulled doesn't matter at this point, so while protecting the reputation of poor Ms Roberts might be a good cover, that ship has sailed long ago. Of course, at that point, the whole suit is about CIG demanding the journalists be far more unprofessional than the suit accuses them of being, to the point of asking them to break laws. I can't imagine that going over well… :v:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

GaussianCopula posted:

People who are not gullible enough to shell out hundreds of dollars for jpegs?

Come to think of it, that would probably be a fairly valuable asset to sell off: the CIG whale list.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Gryphon0468 posted:

You're all such huge hypocrites it'd be funny if it wasn't so sad. Not believing a word CR says but lapping up the drivel of DS and the crappy games media articles. I'm gonna be hanging around here with a big grin on my face soaking in every word you dumb asses say until CIG releases exactly what they said they would.

So someone did buy Sandi an account, then?

Agrajag posted:

do you expect picasso to finish his masterpiece in 3 years?

True enough. Picasso wouldn't be that slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

RuckusRouser posted:

"However, when it comes to paintings, specifically, almost all of his works were really, really fast, and generally he averaged three per day when he was in painting mode."
https://www.quora.com/How-long-did-it-take-Picasso-to-complete-a-painting

Who is going to break the news to DiscoLeak?

In comparison, Guernica took all of 4 months from ideas to sketches, and another month from sketch to completion. 5 months total for one of the most significant pieces of modern art.

• Locked thread