Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

I was going to wait and see what they had to show off at CitizenCon before asking for my $60 back, but then CR decided to swan dive into the poop...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Xaerael posted:

Lol at all the folks scrambling for their refunds now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfkNvOOiZ_8
Of course in the time it takes me to get my money out, some yahoo is going to put 10x of that in just to spite Mr. Dr. Sir Derek Smart.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Truga posted:

Yeah, honestly the x-wing/tie fighter series are better.
The combat was better in a mechanical sense, but was kind of dry. The only game to replicate the utter chaos that I remember from WC was Freespace 2. It's probably not a coincidence that they both had capital ships with big fuckoff weapons and there was a minimum safe distance when they exploded.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

No Mods No Masters posted:

Broadly speaking Derek Smart was the one who publicized and gave a platform to the growing concerns about star citizen development being a mismanaged fiasco. This in classic Derek Smart fashion, using unceasing 10 trillion word blog posts
He claims that when he first started asking questions about financial shenanigans, his account was closed and pledge refunded with no explanation. It seems like too petty and shortsighted a move to be true, but then again so was Chris Roberts' response to that Escapist article.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

I think you mean this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZnn0-R5iRo&feature=youtu.be&t=7m19s

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Anyone who had trouble getting into Elite Dangerous should check out Giant Bomb's Quick Look of the game. I didn't even watch the whole thing and I still picked up enough about how to take off, land, fly around, etc. without having to bother with the tutorials.

G0RF posted:

One thing I do know. A year from now, Elite will be a better game. There's a quiet comfort in knowing that, one which Star Citizen fans may never really know.
And of course right now it's a perfectly fine clone of Privateer, but without a story or unique places to land. So it's pretty all right to fire up every now and then and shoot some space rats.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

tooterfish posted:

:laffo:

e:I can never remember the smilies...
Privateer without the story was pretty much "grind kill/patrol/cargo missions" or "buy cargo at X , haul to Y and sell for profit."

That's basically what Elite Dangerous is right now from a content standpoint.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

tooterfish posted:

The laffo thing is because you're saying the new Elite is a clone of a game that came out a decade after its progenitor.

I thought you were making a joke...
I meant it more like if you're waiting for Privateer for a new millennium, E:D is pretty much that. This is the Chris Roberts game nostalgia scam Star Citizen thread after all.

And I dare say that if you're waiting for Elite for the new millennium, you best keep waiting :v:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Goredema posted:

It's not incest, it's a donation to your starfather's happiness. Now drop those spacepants and prepare for docking.
I'm picturing the opening ceremony of CitizenCon in which CR descends onto the stage declares himself the starfather and all of you his starchildren.

I suddenly feel the need to buy some Kool-Aid.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

A Neurotic Jew posted:

around 36 hours 'til the Con :dance:
But the Con started long ago :confused:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Currently on stage 3 of the refund process. I cited the Endeavor posts as the specific press articles that prompted my decision since they're basically scopecreep.html. Got a response from a real person not long after asking for my PayPal info and expected refund. I made my initial request on October 1st and my ticket number is in the 134k's.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Variable 5 posted:

Thanks for this, I just updated my request originally sent in on the 25th and that's in the 133s.
I don't know if it helps, but I was only in for $80.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

^^^ ugh that sucks to hear

Adar posted:

This is an amazing thread. Thanks for the secondhand drama, it's wonderful even to somebody who never backed the game.

As somebody who's seen a few companies fail from the outside and one on the inside, a word of warning: right now it's all fun and games, but companies run like this don't fail on the exact day they run out of money. There is always some amount of time before the failure is obvious to everybody, which is also when even the diehards who defend the company at all costs bow to the inevitable and the VIPs it's important to appease stop getting paid. Long before that, paychecks are "delayed", refunds are "backlogged due to high volume of traffic" and vendor bills are suddenly on a monthly instead of weekly cycle. The more megalomaniacal the management the more thoroughly scripted this part gets. If they have 8 mil left and are facing a 4 mil/mo burn they are now well into this phase and have been for months.

What I'm saying here is that anyone who needs a refund had better get it now before the run on the bank starts, and by now I mean two months ago. If you're reading this while still on the fence for whatever dumb reason, in the extremely unlikely chance all of this is bullshit you will still be able to get your fake spaceship this time next year for slightly more money, whereas if you are wrong you are in the absolute last stage where it's possible for you to see a dime.
Yeah if we get the faintest rumor that payroll was missed and you have not received your refund, you are hosed.

Ash1138 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 9, 2015

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

ShredsYouSay posted:

The only real difference I see is that they crushed the blacks.

Maybe Sandi requested it.

:captainpop:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Synchronized posted:

I would never put money into an unmade spaceship game that I wasn't willing to see disappear.
Must be nice to able to be willing to see 10k disappear.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Xaerael posted:

Shut the gently caress up Octopode. You're always wrong. Your dream game lies a tattered, laggy, poorly executed wreck. If you have access to a building with more than two stories, well, you know what to do.

See you in the Hearse.
drat, son

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Squadron 42 was supposed to be the competent part of this shitshow because Erin Roberts was running it, but everything they showed was laggy and flat out boring. Now they're selling unlimited amounts of ships that were limited AND there's a loving REFERRAL PROGRAM?

GET YOUR MONEY OUT NOW.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Hammerstein posted:

I imagined Squadron 42 to be the Call of Duty style space shooter to their Freelancer mmo. A 90 million budget might not be enough to pull that off considering that they do motion capture, facial animations, A-list voice acting talent and a ton of cut scenes. Games like Modern Warfare 2 cost easily 40-50 mill in production alone.
I think you did more imagining than anyone involved with Squadron 42.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Sarsapariller posted:

They definitely did not just directly crib parts of the Vanguard for their new fighter. No sir. The wings/cockpit/engines/body are all 100% original.
I'm okay with this because they've said that they wanted each manufacturer to have its own design language or whatever so certain components are either similar or identical in appearance.

A more pressing question is why is it so loving foggy inside their spaceships?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Oh cool, thanks. I wasn't going to go to sleep anytime soon. Like ever.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

G0RF posted:

That is fascinating and I admit, even plausible, though it includes one potential flaw-- Sandi really can't act. All that emotion, the faltering voice, the eruption of her native "throw anotha shrimp on the barbee" accent-- it really did seem like a moment of genuine, unfeigned vulnerability. I suppose it's possible it was all an act-- I don't doubt she'd have the will to pull a con like that, but it's harder to believe she'd have the skill.
She acts pretty well when the character's motivation is "scam desperate nerds."

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

KiddieGrinder posted:

Only way a 40 year old woman with no acting career would get in any sort of production, be married to/sleeping with the director.
Yeah the sad fact is that she's too old to break into Hollywood on her own and if she thinks that Squadron 42 is going to jumpstart her career because she'll get exposure alongside big name actors and actresses, she's in for a surprise.

When it turns out to be a colossal failure she'll be known as a terrible actress who is married to a guy who made a $100+ million stinker of a moviegame after getting run out of Hollywood. I don't know what that does to someone with her personality, but it's probably not good.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Eh, those aren't really rendered in engine despite using in-game assets. StarCraft 2 does, however, have a whole bunch of cutscenes that are rendered in-engine in realtime. Of course if your computer sucks, they will either look bad or run poorly.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Octopode posted:

It is mission-based, but not with discrete "here's a briefing screen, here's your list of objectives, play mission, get results screen, repeat" cycles. Instead, there's interactive story bits between each mission that tie them together.
Yeah it looked really interactive with all the walking and listening to NPCs blabber.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Dante80 posted:

Thats actually what Wing Commander was. WC also had different paths you could take, according to how well you did in each mission or what you chose in the segments between the missions.

If I understood what CR said in citizencon correctly, they are moving away from the strict WC style.

Oh nice, those slides should help me when they ask me again why I want a refund.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Reason posted:

The George Lucas thing was a message from Gary Oldman to the real world "Get out now while you can!"
Or he was actually being complimentary because people in the movie business don't have the hateboner for Lucas that nerds do. Also they don't know poo poo about video games so it all seems pretty impressive.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Malleovic posted:

The absurd silver lining to CIG's lack of delivering on promises so far is that it's possible they'll just fail to deliver on ill-advised commitments to silly fluff features or some of the less necessary ships in favor of focusing on the more important core parts of the game. Trouble is they can't exactly stop making silly promises like these or the money might run out- the rational people who pledged because they wanted to see a solid spaceflight sim have almost definitely stopped contributing so they have to keep dangling treats in front of people who want the dumber stuff just to keep the cash flowing in. Admittedly someone at CIG would need to be conscious of this slightly-unethical strategy and actively working to keep the charade going in order to ensure something playable actually gets produced, and there's no real guarantee of that.
The dumbest part is that CRoberts can move the goalposts all he wants and the cultists will find some way to rationalize it so in theory he *could* cut things for the sake of getting the game out in a human timeframe.

But he won't because he never has. Not being able to identify what's most important and cutting out the rest is why he's a lovely game developer and lovely filmmaker.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

G0RF posted:

I beg to differ, Octopode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_SL4Mb5Yhc

Also note: the video, while still on youtube, is not listed on their Youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?RobertsSpaceInd?videos
I'm the shadows that are not being cast by the player characters.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

please tell meeeeeeeeeee
They're making an FPS with an FPS engine, bought the source code to that FPS engine, and poached a bunch of the guys who made the FPS engine, but can't make the crosshairs work in the FPS.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

When it comes to CIG it's a little more "Contradiction: Spot the Liar!"

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Good point. All this star power from Wing Commander IV and no Casper Van Dien??

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Dapper Dan posted:

Ok, this is pretty rough, but I don't want to spam the thread so I threw it in a pastebin. Here is pretty much the brief history of Gizmondo along with Simon Elms and stuff:

http://pastebin.com/DDeWufw2

I might have missed some stuff and it definitely needs an edit or three, but it will help anyone who is wondering what the hell is going on with the Swedish mafia.
Haha that last line. I wonder who that could be? :v:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Chalks posted:

No disrespect, but at this point you've put your reputation on the line to say this game will fail. It's almost certainly going to fail, but if it turns out it actually succeeds, I imagine you'll be understandably frustrated that they some how pulled through despite such obvious flaws.

A truly unbiased commentator wouldn't care either way, but I imagine you do care, because being right on this is going to feel pretty good.

Not a criticism at all, there are enough ludicrous white knights on the other side of the table who will ignore every negative story that you need people on the other side pushing the negative (especially when there's so much to push). You're part of the natural balance, but I'm not sure you're going to convince me that you're just doing all this 'cause you're a nice guy who doesn't want to see anyone disappointed if the game fails.
I guess it all depends on how long they can keep the money train going. If that stops, then everything flies apart like 38 Studios. If the financials come out and are indeed as screwed up as the sources say they are, then DSmizzle will be vindicated.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Al-Saqr posted:

Sorry, is this for actual loving serious?! The Swedish mob? Do we have actual proof or are we letting ourselves hype ourselves over nothing?! I mean I WANT this to be real for the dramadey of it all but if we're gonna say this is a money laundering scam we better have something loving SOLID.
It's probably not what we think it is, but then again we're talking about a firehose of cash with zero oversight or accountability. If it was indeed used to finance crappy movies and trips to Monaco, then anything is possible.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Dusty Lens posted:

Congrats. You're on to phase 2. If you get a followup sooner than a week from now you're breaking all kinds of records.
Strange. So far I've got an automated "we've received your support request" email, a "please confirm that you want a refund/what articles prompted the decision?" email from the CIG customer service team, then a response from a real person asking "do you really want a refund/how much do you expect to get and then spiel about the case-by-case review for refunds after 14 days.

That was 4 days ago. Four really long days ago.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Dusty Lens posted:

How do you even answer that? The full value of the items in your hangar? That's what I thought the deal was.
I just went by the transaction history. I gave them $80 and I should get $80 back. I guess in theory it could be to prevent fraud (laffo).

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

No "pubes" so must be fake.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Hey Sandi once you match up my forums name with my star citizen name and my real name, could you please get that refund request of mine moving? It's been a week since someone replied to it. I'll follow up with another email later today, probably after a few hours of Elite: Dangerous. Thanks.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Romes128 posted:

Chris roberts fist doesn't count as an augmentation.

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Paladinus posted:

Okay, real talk. How can an electric buggy blow up? And why should it blow up from the gameplay perspective right now? Is there really some template for cars in Cry Engine that makes a vehicle explosive by default and they didn't even bother to change that?
Here's how!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bOQitInC84&feature=youtu.be&t=2m59s

• Locked thread