Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

daslog posted:

I've work on projects as an analyst and a PM for a long time, so I'm very familiar with the US law, but I know nothing about EU. Oral Contracts are a part of our business, especially when some idiot relationship manager agrees to one.

I read the article you linked, and unfortunately it doesn't provide any resolution since it was a default judgement. When the defendant doesn't show up, the Judge tends to rule against them.
That's because there isn't a defence for saying you'll do X, taking money for it and then not doing X, you only have excuses.
http://www.geekwire.com/2014/attorney-general-asylum-playing-cards-crowdfunded-project/

quote:

Here’s the statement Kickstarter shared with us:

“Tens of thousands of incredible projects have been brought to life through Kickstarter. We want every backer to have an amazing experience, and we’re frustrated when they don’t. We hope this process brings resolution and clarity to the backers of this project.”
That's kickstarter above staying out of it.

quote:

We reached out to the Washington State Attorney General’s office, and here’s the statement they gave us:

“This is a new frontier. We hope this sends a message to other potential project creators to take their responsibilities seriously. We look forward to bringing more cases, if necessary, to protect consumers.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raged posted:

Maybe he likes being........ god forgive me for saying it.....cucked

Cuckwolf

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Eonwe posted:

there are not a lot of things that are more pathetic than caring about Gamergate, but star citizen is one of them

strange but true

Gamergate is hilarious and so is Star Citizen.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

G0RF posted:

This is concept art of settlements on certain planetary bodies in Elite Horizons this holiday season. Given Frontier's commitment to fidelity, it's probably not far off from what the in-game shots are going to look like.

I can't help but imagine Chris Roberts, screaming at a room full of dev guys every time Frontier sends out a new newsletter. And then instructing them to get him a working prototype within one month.

This is the concept that got my hyped up about ED planetary landings

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Gamergate is hilarious and so is Star Citizen.

thats true but thats not caring about it, thats just thinking its hilarious

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!
Gamergate is insanely good.

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!
WHOOPS I mean very Bad. Wow what a slipup!

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I'm the gate.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
The only good thing about gamergate is you know who to not take seriously when they mention gamergate.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

thatguy posted:

I'm the gate.

Yeah cause you swing both ways.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Romes128 posted:

Yeah cause you swing both ways.

:boom:

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Romes128 posted:

The only good thing about gamergate is you know who to not take seriously when they mention gamergate.

I still don't really understand what being "for" or "against" gamergate means. I hear it has to do with ethics in games journalism and that's about when my brain says "gently caress this i don't care."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I still don't really understand what being "for" or "against" gamergate means. I hear it has to do with ethics in games journalism and that's about when my brain says "gently caress this i don't care."

I'm with you here. Something something sexist blue-haired fatty.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

CrazyLoon posted:

Well, it's a weak rear end subject anyway. So gently caress you, CashEnsign for the initial derail. And all of us that bought into it.

I was just wondering if any of those mugs had Star Citizen connections.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Hey, Rebel Galaxy looks awesome. Cheers to whoever mentioned it in this thread.

Plus it actually exists.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Simple rule of thumb is:

If you are for or against it you are thinking about it too much and should stop

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

AP posted:

That's because there isn't a defence for saying you'll do X, taking money for it and then not doing X, you only have excuses.
http://www.geekwire.com/2014/attorney-general-asylum-playing-cards-crowdfunded-project/

That's kickstarter above staying out of it.

You understand that the point at which the lawsuits and consumer protection agencies are involved is the point at which there is no money left to give back to backers, right?

It doesn't matter how legally a company is on the hook for something if there are no assets to go after.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

i googled "anthony burch divorce " and i loving lol'd

https://www.facebook.com/Daily-Reminder-Youre-Not-Anthony-Burch-413260588839547/

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
This thread sucks so I figured I'd class it up and provide a link for the best video game sound track ever made, enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urhp8l00yvg

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
For Elite do I really need a joystick or are the mouse controls decent?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Thronde posted:

The game is on Xbox one, you should be fine with controller

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Thronde posted:

Well, hard to say, I tried all combos, kbm, gamepad and joystick + throttle and while joystick throttle combo felt best, I was more accurate with kbm and hopeless with a gamepad. hth

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My refund was approved last friday, but I've yet to see any activity on my paypal acct and I'm getting nervous. How long has it taken them to issue refunds after they hit you with the "I am happy to confirm that I have now processed your refund..." email?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

You understand that the point at which the lawsuits and consumer protection agencies are involved is the point at which there is no money left to give back to backers, right?

Absolutely not, CIG had a "no refunds" policy and now they are refunding. The reason they are refunding is that they had no real choice, doing things like advertising "No LTI after November 2013" and then selling LTI again, or giving estimated release dates and then missing them by more than a reasonable "estimate" are grounds for breach of contract.

Nobody has to wait until CIG ships the game or goes bust to use the legal process. In the EU anyone is legally entitled to a refund within 14 days of asking (before delivery), failing to refund and reaching court will result in CIG paying costs plus interest on the sum involved (In the UK I believe interest is calculated at 8% per year), not to mention the bad press involved.

Obviously if people wait until CIG goes bust or releases the game, that's up to them, but in the event of a terrible game or going bust, yeah there's going to be little or nothing up for grabs.

AP fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 16, 2015

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Thronde posted:

Mouse and keyboard work fine-- but it's a much better gaming experience with a good joystick. This game- more than any other I've played- really shines with companion hardware. I don't have a throttle, but with the joystick and track IR, it's an entirely different player experience. I can't imagine how much moreso this will be when the consumer VR headsets come out - which would negate the need for the track IR, but render the joystick nearly mandatory.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

AP posted:

That one is also a default judgement.

http://agportal-s3bucket.s3.amazonaws.com/uploadedfiles/Another/News/Press_Releases/201507221452.pdf

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Thronde posted:

I played it for about 30 hours with kb+m and it actually works pretty well. A joystick and throttle are a lot more fun though.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Berious posted:

I'd love a word cloud of this thread. Just to see how big jpeg is.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

daslog posted:

That one is also a default judgement.

It's the same case, hey if you really think you've found a way to take money for something, not deliver it and get away with it. By all means proceed with my blessing and I'll be grateful to receive updates on your progress.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

No "pubes" so must be fake.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Thronde posted:

There's a really good, inexpensive HOTAS setup that comes highly recommended by pretty much everyone. It's like 45 bucks here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879337003

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ash1138 posted:

No "pubes" so must be fake.

Sandy's made sure there are no pubes.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I am just sitting here waiting for DickWulf to slander my friend, which would in turn prove his involvement - how else would he know who the blocked out name is? If he did not email her, how does he magically contact her? The DickLancer? A clever guess among 1,000,000 backers? I look forward to his denial when he snaps and lashes out.

Good times. See you in the 'Verse pilots!

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

theultimo posted:

The game is on Xbox one, you should be fine with controller

To be specific he's talking about the Xbox One, the 3rd Xbox

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I dunno, I have laughed at jokes that Burch has written which means he is automatically funnier than whatever sad bastard runs that page. Bonus idiot points for the "Anita Sarkeesian is a confirmed con artist" post just in case anyone was left in any doubt what this guy is trying to achieve.

Then again I don't get the obsession with calling people autistic or yelling about cucks or whatever it is internet kids think is fun and cool these days

I feel old.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

fargom posted:

This thread sucks so I figured I'd class it up and provide a link for the best video game sound track ever made, enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urhp8l00yvg

Though I kinda still prefer the dryer Soundblaster version... :agreed:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

thatguy posted:

I'm the gate.

I am the level 1 spell Protection From Evil.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

AP posted:

It's the same case, hey if you really think you've found a way to take money for something, not deliver it and get away with it. By all means proceed with my blessing and I'll be grateful to receive updates on your progress.

Oh hell no. I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm saying that the answer really is "we don't know yet, no one has tried to push it through the US court system to completion. You have convinced me of that.

Moving out of theory, and into the more practical, getting a judgement like this doesn't mean you actually get the money. It just puts you in line as another creditor. Just for argument's sake, lets assume that they have 10 million in cash left and maybe 2 million in assets. Everyone could win a default judgement but the 90 million (or whatever it is) isn't getting paid back. You might get back 5 cents on the dollar after all the legal fees are paid.

Edited because leaving out "Not" was bad

daslog fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 16, 2015

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Maldoror posted:

What was this... Derek Smart had it taken down lmao

WHAT DONT U WANT ME SEEIN DEREK

Copy it and save it now nerds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxKRKxzVrfY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Though I did remember another soundtrack that is perhaps tied to that of the old UFO/XCOM. It's just a shame that the man behind these two games will prolly still not be enough to bring us the Star Citizen PU. :( At least he had/has good taste in music for vidya games he makes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2xs8pQBcZk

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 16, 2015

• Locked thread