Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Speedball posted:

I never knew you could disable auto-potion by having Rikku steal their potions. That makes a lot more sense in hindsight.

You can also use Kimahri's Stone Breath overdrive to instantly petrify the Guado Guards to get rid of them instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The Cloister of Trials all suck eggs, but this one is a special case. The plot screeches to a grinding halt during it. Something interesting has finally happened, you killed one of the 4 leaders of the world, but here's a puzzle to solve before you see any consequences at all. If you fought Seymour in front of the temple on your way out, it would be much better.

Though the trials suck to begin with; it would have made more sense I think to force the player to do the trials before the party fights seymour. Thinking about it, it would've made sense that Seymour fucks up the puzzle to stall for time while he tries to deal with Yuna. Hell, the switch IS right before the chamber of the fayth. Instead, doing it afterwards does as Rabbi said: slams the brakes on the plot and forces the player to do the puzzle twice in aggravation.

Speedball posted:

Heh, and I have to say, I had a much better time with XIII-2 than the first one. You'd think a game about time travel would be harder to follow, but nope, it was actually pretty easy to follow.

Fricking loved the "Worlds Collide" music for Paradox Alpha, too. You're fighting a giant hand attached to a phantom giant!

XIII-2, despite the retcon two hours in and a villain who "ranks stronger than Sephiroth because I said so", I found myself enjoying unashamedly after the miserable slog of XIII...right up until the end. Once I managed to 100% the game, and saw what I got for it; I hated the game immediately afterwards if only because the game seemed to say I win, neener, neener, neener!!

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

akkristor posted:

I've thought about this for a while. Not long ago I saw something from one of the Squenix heads that "Trilogies are the way of the future". The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see a 3rd FFX game. Not FFX-3, but rather FFX-0. Give us the prequel story. Let us see Jecht and Auron and Braska together. Jecht is the fish out of water, culturally and morally. Braska is the social outcast. Auron is the foil for both of them, scoffing at both Braska's lack of adherence to the strict tenants of Yevon, and constantly butting heads with Jecht.
Hell, even re-do the Blitzball engine with modern hardware, turn it from the pseudo-turn-based 2d RPG-thing it was to a proper full 3d soccer/polo.
Just remember, make everyone BADASS. No more whiny pubescent viewpoint characters, or gender swapping of prior FF main characters.

Aaah, who am I kidding. They'd gently caress it up.

This would come from the same writers who thought Tidus so stupid he kicks a bomb thinking it was a blitzball ? That's quite the tall order.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

HR12345 posted:

It's like every new FF game, they have to do a new drawing for the same creatures. At least in SMT, they keep their fiends with the same designs they've been using since as far back as SMT1!

Not always. Bombs and certain iconic monsters have had the same ideas and design into them; but they change up the monsters' touches a bit with each game.

Which I personally like; it makes each game feel a bit more unique when it breaks out the common monster with a new flair to it.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

David Corbett posted:

Yeah at this point I'm left wondering: how does the faith of Yevon even survive? If it's an average of two hundred years between when a summoner actually manages to get anything done, you'd think everyone would have given up and tried the Al Bhed method at some point.

Yuna said as much I think back around Luca. She and the people are willing to give it their all even if just a little while to make it all worthwhile.

Where I always felt X exceeded other FF games was, in my opinion, atmosphere. It's one thing to think about it from our rooms why it's stupid to do it if it just comes back. However, in their world, to give a reprieve from a colossal monster even for a little while, makes all of the struggle worth it. All of the teachings, the fayth, the faith, all of it just to give a break from that monster, despite the perils and calamities the people face for a 1 year break from death and destruction is worth it to these people. This is literally all they know; and given that the teachings combined with the strength of the summoners and their guardians was enough for the people to prove that Yevon is the way. Could they try other things? Perhaps; but outside of the Al Bhed, nobody thus far really seems to have any thoughts outside of Yevon, Blitzball, Sin, or death. This is all that the people of Spira know.

And they did try an Al Bhed method at some point: Operation Mi'ihen. Frankly, that went as well as Seymour mused and Auron remarked: The rebellious died, and the faithful live on. Exactly what Yevon wanted to prove. Frankly, after two hundred years of trying; I would have surmised at some point other Al Bhed methods were tried but didn't work before either probably because they had no real machina to do anything against it.

Tactless Ogre fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 22, 2015

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

I will save and use this like a bandit.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

The Dark Id posted:

Indeed, if you started in Bevelle like... say Yuna's old man Braska, this is the first stop on the pilgrimage train. Word of Yevon's capital really not giving the first poo poo about the machine ban never got out? Nobody has gone “wait what the hell” at any point prior to this, huh? Even Auron comes off like this is some sort of reveal, when he'd have to have been here before.

It was really the way Auron said what he said as opposed to the writing itself. The tone comes off as a dull :viggo:. He knew. He knows drat well what's going on; but what would be the point of trying to tell Wakka all about it earlier? As well established; Wakka's that one friend you have that you don't discuss religion or politics around. It'd be like explaining Chinese calculus to an American fourth grader. Better to have Wakka find out about it the hard way. Auron had to.

As for the former; that's a good point. Wakka said before: 'Yevon decides what we use and what we may not." But it has to be hard not to notice Bevelle's defense force with those rifles and flamethrowers.

Onmi posted:

No his brother died because the outer-god death whale that wont stay dead and has thoroughly made Spira its bitch.

That's the unsaid point. It's obvious to the player that Wakka knows that his brother was murdered by Sin; but he's too weak to do something against it; so he'll take it out on something that he has a shot of beating down if it fights back.

Tactless Ogre fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 15, 2015

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

It would have to go away. After that and Operation Mi'ihen; it'd be VERY hard to make the player like Wakka if he still stuck by them after that backstabbing.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Hope is of course only 14 and just had his mother die. You could counter with Tidus is only 16 or 17 and just had his civilization wiped out but he seemed to have gotten over that remarkably fast.

But yes, I would expect Hope to be whinier than Tidus and almost nothing Hope does is rational. I just don't blame him for it because it makes sense.

Still say the worst character in XIII is Lightning. I'll take Hoe's whining or Snow' declaration of heroism over her being angry at everything and a mega super bitch.

The only thing I had against the Hope angle was that it took too drat long for him to really spit it out despite having many moments to get it out ahead of time. And I have to agree with you on Snow. At first, I was against him too because of the hero theatrics and all of that; but after a while, I was rooting for him if only because even if he didn't have a plan or anything of the sort because at the loving least he was willing to try SOMETHING. Compared to Lightning the waifu mega bitch who made me gnash my teeth everytime she opened her loving mouth; I was ready to embrace the dumb hero as opposed to her. Hell, I thought Serah was more likable than her in FFXIII and she was a drat rock in that game.

:allears: I never, EVER get tired of listening to this track.

Tactless Ogre fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Dec 2, 2015

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

CheeseThief posted:

So bailing on your pilgrimage at the last hurdle is totally cool and Yevon just finds you a desk job in the capital? Zuke's carrying a head full of Yevon summoner secrets and they just let him wander to the next state over to shoot the poo poo with a heretic, Yevon doesn't give a drat?

Hell why doesn't the party kidnap him and force him to do the final summon? He's easily as qualified as Yuna at this point.

Zuke may not have the summons or the power needed to do the final summon. Remember, the fayth choose; and they may find Zuke unworthy. And it would go both ways. Zuke probably wouldn't snitch so that he keeps his job in tow and curries favor with Mika. Main reason why Zuke doesn't go after Yuna is because as far as he said; Yevon's in utter disarray and Mika's got too much energy spent keeping it all together; which gives Zuke some leniency on whether to go after Yuna or not.

Personally, I'd imagine he saw Trogdor blow Shiva up, said "gently caress that", and just let Yuna go on her way.

By the By Id, that vendor has a unique item to him in that the shield for Tidus there has Magic Counter as an auto ability. It's a pretty nifty shield and it's the only time you can find that shield or any other defensive armor in the game with a counter ability. Granted, it's not super helpful against elementals and flan which don't care about Tidus's sword strokes; but it's nifty against other things using magic that don't have those defenses.

Tactless Ogre fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 7, 2015

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

I'd still say the Demi-Fiend is utter horseshit. You need practically max stats and the best in defensive preparation and movelists to just endure a turn. Max stats involve noise grinding and gently caress that noise :downsrim: Then you need to have a move nobody would think of using and a character nobody thought useful to survive his attack (and that's if he brought the right demon to inflict sleep on your party for that ability to kick in so as to survive his attack). He's also quite the temperamental gently caress about using Gaea's Rage. Slay two demons, Gaea's rage. Auto immunity from death attacks or the like? Gaea's Rage. Take too long? Gaea's Rage. Eggs were a little runny this morning and he didn't get enough shuteye? Gaea's Rage. Then you need diverse friends to ensure he's not getting too many press turns on you. One turn, as someone mentioned, always has you badly hurt, debilitated or under some status you need to heal up from. And he gets one full heal in a match, possibly more.

And that's just defense. You still have to hit the fucker, who's strong against everything but earth magic.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Looking at Kimahri's page on the FF wiki, there's a number of details about him that would help expand his character that just aren't in the game. :stare:

Kimahri

* ...was smaller than the female Ronso his age, just in case there was any doubt about the horn thing being Freudian.
* ...was bullied by others in his tribe for being so small. Given that the Ronso males all compete to be the strongest, he developed a Napoleon complex and refused to admit defeat, which lead to his horn being broken and him leaving his home in shame.
* ...canonically does see Tidus as a Nancy Boy at first, though he starts shedding that view when he realizes he's behaving just like the other Ronso did towards him.

* We saw him being bullied by Biran and Yenke at Luca pub and given that they made the hornless joke then, we can infer that they had something to do with it. The only reason we didn't learn more about the Ronso before Luca is simply because outside of the Ronso Fangs (and that's even if they provide relevant flavor text) we don't meet other Ronso to learn their culture. As the focus is really on Yuna's pilgrimage, it didn't seem important.
* When he begins to talk around Tidus, it does infer that he's warming up to Tidus and not view him as a nancy boy; but I don't get the bullying vibe.

As for the first point, would that really be relevant at all?

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Xenoveritas posted:

The other thing they do is doing the first unlock of a celestial weapon (the crest) removes the damage cap for an aeon. Now you'd think "seven weapons, seven damage caps" but no - there are only four aeons that don't inherently break the damage limit: Valefor, Ifrit, Ixion, and Shiva. (Sorry, I don't remember what we called them and am too lazy to look it up.) But in any case, the aeon/weapon pairs are: Valefor/Yuna, Ifrit/Wakka, Ixion/Kimahri, Shiva/Lulu.

5, actually. Auron's weapon is the one that breaks Yojimbo's damage limit on his other attacks not named Zanmato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

There is one other benefit to doing that sidequest. Random encounters in the Cactuar Village are nothing but Cactuars which give out delicious AP.

• Locked thread