Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The extinguished butts of cigarettes piled like stone cairns, monuments to extinct possible worlds (and somewhat confusing npc directions)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
This was already posted right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnXA5w5LkkA

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah, Gog is the insidious beast & acts like a clown because of having too much "wow! nice 'God of the Seven Part World!' For a clown to have! At the loving circus, loser!" kind of energy, directed at herself.

Cause she's a failure & also trapped? Whatever. She's not actually a clown though, and is just being this for now, like all the other motifs that get picked up and dropped. The real gog is prob 2 spooky

The surviving creature is real, not all this extra poo poo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
had a tab with this half formed post that i'm not gonna really flesh out but gonna just thow in here:

paranoid randroid posted:

There's an interesting parallel in Allison being the barista in over her head and Gog Agog being the silly, faceless, idiot god developing into the Rising King and the Mass who's word is Beast respectively

Gog is basically what anything Lovecraftian could be in K6BD as a setting, but i think specifically Hastur.

Swap yellow for green, king for queen, alright good

theatrical sensibility, check
older than time, check
seething mass of madness, check
sinuous mark, check

yeah ok goog agog greart
(the cover one with her on king of swords lookin like a lil creep vs the king in yellow is not super similar like i remembered, i was gonna slam the pics in but eh)

but it's also beyond the surface reading, in the sense of assumed forms. there's this fake transmigration or w/e where hastur starts out as a prehistoric god of maybe hunters > then herders > apotropaic god of warding off beasts ? > ??? > having an infuence over book / story / tale / pageantry / crap like that. There's a connection if you squint your brain hard. You can sort of see it. sort of a seething underneath. fermenting ideas. Gog also has this looooong kind of chrysalis phase in the text and meta textually.

Also compare the obscure quotes in the beginning and the end of Blood Meridian and other stuff from McCarthy to Gog's various motifs:
(The whole thing with the holes in the ground vs say, if gog was hanging out with like 2 spoopy torches instead of swords on the king of swords cover instead would maybe work.)
The quotes in the beginning do work.

Paul Valéry posted:

Your ideas are terrifying and your hearts are faint. Your acts of pity and cruelty are absurd, committed with no calm, as if they were irresistible. Finally, you fear blood more and more. Blood and time.

Jakob Böhme posted:

It is not to be thought that the life of darkness is sunk in misery and lost as if in sorrowing. There is no sorrowing. For sorrow is a thing that is swallowed up in death, and death and dying are the very life of the darkness.

Desmond Clark and Tim D. White posted:

a 300,000-year-old fossil skull . . . shows evidence of having been scalped.

The Crossing posted:

Things separate from their stories have no meaning. They are only shapes. Of a certain size and color. A certain weight. When their meaning has become lost to us they no longer have even a name. The story on the other hand can never be lost from its place in the world for it is that place. And that is what was to be found here. The corrido. The tale. And like all corridos it ultimately told one story only, for there is only one to tell.
(had to double check these because some rear end in a top hat destroyed my copies)

The form is the story is the memory is the survival is the violence and is not ever letting go gog is maxxing and will live forever in perfect failure outside time until it gets right up to the point where something could almost just be different

then poo poo's gonna go really bonkers.

Josef bugman posted:

Hm, I do note that the triangle Law Rune is being used for Jadis' Father.

It is also interesting to see how much failure fundamentally defines every last one of the demiurges.

well, yeah, that's what a demiurge is, mostly, isn't it?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
tl;dr it's just narrative happenstance that Gog is Queen and Green and Worms (so, aesthetic purposeful decision) instead of straight up Literally Hastur, is what I guess I'm saying. Otherwise they'd both be Bearer of the Word Beast or whatever equivalent, I think.

If the war for the keys had shaken out slightly differently gog could have decided to have been some dude or whatever the gently caress and it would be the exact same thing except the demiurges would be differently distributed on the color wheel, and to be cynical it would probably sell fewer comics to have some creep that reeks like cig butts and incense instead of her. Besides the whole thing would be unbalanced all the way back.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Every time she's like "gently caress u no" or "eh OK wait no" and it doesn't work. Mammon / himself still hasn't fired off I guess.

How the hell does gog not realize how she lost her eye? Will that not gently caress up gog to see that also? How the hell would that even play out?

But gog supposedly has been defeated via rear end kicking before, if the bullshit jag has been talking about was true. Maybe she just... taps out for a while somehow. How she brings all that back in, mystifying

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Fister Roboto posted:

Have there ever been thought bubbles in this comic before?

Not that I remember, unless it was like Zoss talking to himself inside Alison's mind, or really a scene in someone's mind where a character was talking.

Gog's gotta be doing it out loud I'd say.

Also the Mccarthy derail: blood meridian is a book where no good thing happens. That's what you're getting into. Extremely American ofc.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Buschmaki posted:

Jagganoth just said "Yo give me the key"

True. He really is unobstructed x7777777

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

YaketySass posted:

Should have been a bunch of Gogs in the background doing a greek chorus

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
has gog ever suicided, i doubt it

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
after that literally a scroll coming out of her mouth like earliest woodcut long-s jhonny that's treason type bullshit

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
+ the bearer splashpage segment was changed from normal, maybe to represent that she's loving bonkers. agogged out. The majesty and beauty of the aura and manifesting the power and crown and the key is a joke, and this being a part of the structure of the book itself is a fuckin joke as well.

gog isn't an overtly wrathful type of :airquote: spiritual :airquote: entity but more concealed. encysted. dunno if that's really a trope or motif i know of outside of say, the thing. Pretty modern take i guess -- i don't know of any goglike entities before k6bd and i dunno if you could even theoretically have one before now, which is cool. She's not ultra mega groundbreaking maybe but pretty novel i think. somebody prove me wrong on this one

there's a clear lineage of hidden secret monsters but gog is a pretty weird spin on it

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

A.o.D. posted:

A better question is can the death star survive 3 Borg drones?

if it was tabletop basically the force just lets you reroll dice. that's it. If vader is on the death star he just uses the force to reroll and destroy the cube, like luke rerolled to crit the first death star

it's the same poo poo with the light sabers not being nightmare weapons only a psycho or a saint would use, they had to dial them down just like they had to dial down the borg or no game or media would work

the concept of anything from star wars and anything from star trek running into anything from each other defeats the idea of "writing a story" in general.

--

alison could try to coerce gog into helping by saying that not even worms transcend death and ripping out they key but i don't really think this is the way it will go

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Schwarzwald posted:

Turns out DaShareZone has been is owned and operated by an rear end in a top hat who stole the account and several grand from its trans creator, so I wouldn't bet on that one reaching enlightenment.

Woah isthis real

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

the holy poopacy posted:

The Chinese counting system is organized around 10000s rather than 1000s, so Chinese and related language idioms just use 10,000 in a similar manner to Western idioms using 1,000 or 1,000,000.

Isn't this Indian also? lakh I think is a unit, or am I thinking of some other thing

E: 1 lakh = 100,000

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 13, 2024

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
This is terrible that was a good account what the gently caress

The Google doc no longer exists

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Seems cruel to the merfolk

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Gog has been very...

Jonah (Bible) × Ahab (Melville) + Worm (Worm) lately.
Who's really eating who here :thunk:

Also that this is all mirrored in white chain & Solomon also coping with their obsessions & dealing with losing & passing them

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Look you need to just break up sometimes I'm sorry

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
lol this fuckin comic
:popclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Synthbuttrange posted:

She's a single named devil. She's at least as powerful as an Ebon. Hm.

Oh that means HIM is still above that because he's nameless.

You're still operating within "the rules," which are fake crap for dorks