Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Torrannor posted:

That must take the crown for most misleading and dishonest chart I have ever seen. "Number of gun deaths in Florida went up after enacting stand your ground laws? Let's flip the graph upside down!"
It was supposed to be a take on this graph:

Just completely botched in execution in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

vyelkin posted:

Yeah there was someone making a bunch of graphs like that intentionally bad for fun in one of the USPol threads a while back. I'll see if I can dig up the others, I'm pretty sure I posted some in this thread before.

e: nope, must have been a different thread
It was in C-SPAM (or I guess it was Election Erection at the time). Probably the Republican thread, which I think is still the current Trump thread, so they might still be somewhere in there.

Lord Hydronium has a new favorite as of 22:37 on Oct 26, 2016

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The best part is, these graphs are better at conveying the information they're trying to give than a lot of the actual serious graphs about real things posted in this thread. Like, "understanding how a pie chart works" is the low bar we're working with here.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

So Vermont doesn't issue CCW permits, but honors them from every other state? :psyduck:

e: And South Dakota doesn't honor its own permits?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

InediblePenguin posted:

Vermont doesn't issue CCW permits because Vermont doesn't even require a CCW -- it's not that Vermont is so strict on guns that they won't issue a CCW, and yet paradoxically they honor other states; it's that Vermont is so unrestricted when it comes to guns that they let everybody concealed carry without requiring a permit.

Phanatic posted:

Vermont doesn't have many firearms laws above and beyond what the Federal government requires. It's unrestricted carry (except schools and courthouses). Carry openly, carry concealed, doesn't matter, you don't need a permit from it. So they 'honor' permits from other states in the sense that if you have a permit from another state, you can carry a gun in Vermont. But if you don't have a permit from another state, you can still carry a gun in Vermont.

A number of other states are similar, but some still issue permits for whatever reason. Arizona, for example, used to be a shall-issue state, then they removed the requirement to get a permit, but you can still get a permit if you want because then reciprocity agreements mean you can carry in other states that honor Arizona permits.
Ah, thanks, that makes more sense.

Still confused about South Dakota, though.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Stoatbringer posted:

You'd think that "Patients" would have a slightly more central, better-connected position in the healthcare system.
It's a chart made by Republicans as a line of attack on regulating health care. :ssh:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Brute Squad posted:

From my Value Analysis/Engineering class last night.

I actually think I get everything but the time axis. I'm guessing it's supposed to indicate that exciting features become basic requirements over time, but I have no idea how that translates into that diagram.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I'm more offended by the pineapple percentage than the failed pie chart.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

All these numbers will be moot when the gritty reboot is just called WINDOWS.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Earth is basically a wrap with the atmosphere as the tortilla, when you think about it.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'm guessing it was an internet poll based on the obvious troll answers. Like even if you don't know anything about geography, you probably aren't going to pick an arbitrary spot in the middle of the ocean when asked to point out a specific country.
I feel like some of those answers might be "I have no idea, better pick a random spot." Like that map that asked Americans to find Syria and there were a bunch of dots in Wyoming or wherever.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

What does Back to the Future count as?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

In the replies:
https://twitter.com/shinyemptyhead/status/880154264772988935

That y-axis. :allears:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Carbon dioxide posted:

Remember, http://viz.wtf/ is THE goto tumblr for awful graphs. You can submit stuff there, too. Or just post it here.
:lol:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Phanatic posted:

What's the bizarre almost-directed graph in the lower left supposed to be saying? I can't figure that out at all.
That took me a bit too. It's a more confusing version of the table on the right, showing what the "mixed" ones are mixes of.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Mikl posted:

Tag yourself, I'm STRUNGRAD
Oh, I love that guy's emails.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Phy posted:

Canadians always tell you they're sorny, but really, they're not all that sorny

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Captain Hygiene posted:

WHO'S A GOOD CRIME FIGHTING BOY??
I just had two cats and a dog in the car. Incredible Journey remake looking good.

E: Also I accidentally clicked on an option to kill five people instead of one and the summary now thinks I'm a bloodthirsty killer.

Lord Hydronium has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Nov 7, 2018

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

All the food groups have the bars arranged from lowest to highest. Not random, but still really dumb.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I fixed it:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

System Metternich posted:

It first appeared on r/dataisbeautiful it seems:

lolling at the Reader-Draco Malfoy ship
Someone in that thread did a graph of just Hagrid fics. It, uh, goes places. :stonk:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Powered Descent posted:

Guilty of graph crimes.
As MREs approach their expiration date, they get hotter. :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Loss edits are getting pretty abstract.