Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Guys. Guys. You guys. Guys.

Welcome to our Let's Play of Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water for the Wii U! This is my favorite horror series that we're talking about here, so I'm ecstatic right now.

A brief history of the series

Fatal Frame, known as Zero in Japan and Project Zero in Europe, is a horror series in which the player exorcises spirits using the Camera Obscura, a mystical camera that can "see what other people can't see." There are also other powerful objects that you can find to aid you in your adventures, all created by Dr. Asou.

The first Fatal Frame was released on the PS2 (and later on the original Xbox), and it claims to be based on actual events. I don't know how true that is, but I'm a sucker for stuff like that, so the game was that much scarier to me. It was a great experience, albeit with horrible voice acting.

Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly (PS2, Director's Cut on Xbox) is probably the most well-known entry in the series. Controlling both Mio and Mayu Amakura, the player was taken on a memorable adventure with the best Camera Obscura system in the series: It was based entirely on proximity, forgoing the charging mechanic from every other game in the series, forcing you to literally get right in the faces of your enemies.

Crimson Butterfly was re-released for the Wii as Deep Crimson Butterfly (not in North America, though), and it was pretty subpar, in my opinion. The controls were unresponsive, the lock-on function was outright broken, and the Mission Mode (a staple of the entire series) was removed from the game in favor of a watered-down ripoff -- A WATERED-DOWN RIPOFF -- of the abysmally-horrible haunted house simulator, Ju-on: The Grudge. Ironic, since Mask of the Lunar Eclipse, also on the Wii, was fantastic.

Fatal Frame III: The Tormented (PS2) tends to get forgotten, but it was also fantastic, with a really cool "real world" section, a la Silent Hill 4: The Room. The game brought characters from the first two entries together, but it also reused a lot of old areas, so it was hit and miss. Still, it was a great game and worthy of its title, and a whole lot scarier than Crimson Butterfly.

Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse was a Japan-only Wii game, and to this day, it remains my favorite of all. The controls were a bit jacked up, but the story was fantastic, and the game had more variety than any of the previous titles. I'm still not tired of playing it yet.

Spirit Camera was a very poorly-received 3DS spinoff title. I loved the game, and I thought aiming around your house with the 3DS was amazing, but Nintendo DID charge $40 for it, and it could be completed in about an hour. It also required you to scan a journal that came with it, which was neat, but that meant that you had to play in an extremely well-lit room, which is exactly what NOT to do when horror is involved. In the end, it was one of the lowest-rated games of the year.

That brings us to Maiden of Black Water, the newest entry in the series, and a Wii U exclusive. I'm still livid that the North American version is only digital (I'm planning on importing that collector package from Europe when I get the chance; someone tell me where I can do that online!), but I'm going to buy it and play it anyway. FOR ALL OF YOU!

About this Let's Play

Amy and I (Peter) are going in blind with this one; we know nothing about the characters or story of this game. We'll also be attempting to record the GamePad's screen, since there's going to be a lot of information on there. We're playing to completion, but we probably won't go for every single thing the first time around. We just want to enjoy the feeling of finally playing a new Fatal Frame.

Episodes

Part 1: Already Bodies
Part 2: Dizzy and Vomit-Like
Part 3: Yay, field trip.
Part 4: STOP IT
Part 5: Ghost Grope
Part 6: Right in the Mouth
Part 7: Oh good, limbs!
Part 8: Did we just rocket boot?
Part 9: Oh, she's holding a fireball!
Part 10: Ghost Marriage
Part 11: I Mean, I Love You
Part 12: You get face-touched for this!
Part 13: Attacked by shoddy subtitle work
Part 14: Racist Wizard
Part 15: Five Nights at Freddy's
Part 16: YEAH, MIU, YEAH!
Part 17: Rules of the Womb Cavern
Part 18: Wood Ghosts
Part 19: That's a Mom
Part 20: Aww, someone's growin' hair!
Part 21: Japanese person Benjamin Hojo
Part 22: Cheese Banana
Part 23: I can hear your bones | Part 23 Bonus: SICK FMV
Part 24: Ninja Ninja Ninja
Part 25: Oh, buttshot
Part 26 (FINALE): GYI-GAH!

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Sheesh, didn't this just come out? I was caught by surprise when I saw it pop up on my Wii U controller. Anyone interested in seeing Nintendo float more creepy horror games over here would be remiss if they didn't pick this up

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Eyyyy you guys are doin' a new thing, nice.

Yeah it's looking like you guys don't need to worry about capturing the Wii U Gamepad and having it on screen all the time, if y'all don't want to. Might be best to fade it in and out every once in a while in the corner when new/relevant info shows up on it!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I played/watched friends play the first three games through countless times, these games are a lot of fun. I don't do that anymore though, so you guys are my new surrogate friends. Welcome, friends.

In all seriousness though, this looks really cool so I'll definitely be following along. They're going all out with hair and water and wells in this one, so it's very Fatal Frame. I never did watch or play 4/Lunar Mirror, which is a drat shame, I need to fix that one of these days.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I played/watched friends play the first three games through countless times, these games are a lot of fun. I don't do that anymore though, so you guys are my new surrogate friends. Welcome, friends.

In all seriousness though, this looks really cool so I'll definitely be following along. They're going all out with hair and water and wells in this one, so it's very Fatal Frame. I never did watch or play 4/Lunar Mirror, which is a drat shame, I need to fix that one of these days.

We're your REAL friends, Cipher. :D And yeah, I can't recommend Mask of the Lunar Eclipse highly enough. The controls take a bit to get used to, but the story is fantastic, and I really liked the varied gameplay.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Around the five minute mark, the game keeps making really high pitched background noises. That was kind of annoying to listen to with headphones.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Air is lava! posted:

Around the five minute mark, the game keeps making really high pitched background noises. That was kind of annoying to listen to with headphones.
I think it's just supposed to be a spooky sound, cause it seems to stop once they leave that room.

pedrovay2003 posted:

We're your REAL friends, Cipher. :D And yeah, I can't recommend Mask of the Lunar Eclipse highly enough. The controls take a bit to get used to, but the story is fantastic, and I really liked the varied gameplay.
Fatal Frame 4 was okay, if a bit stretched thin. Also I think it was when Tecmo brought super creepy devs onto Fatal Frame, cause that's when they put in boob jiggle and super questionable outfits (which I guess they realized might be iffy for this game since they removed them).

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Clearly, the camera is just a prop that channels whatsherface's natural Professor X powers. *holds two finger to temple, nosebleeds*

So, the game doesn't let you quickly bring up the camera by tapping a trigger, then snap with the same? That sounds... like really bad controls.
I'm enjoying the LP so far, and I look forward to tons of lovely wet black spidery hair. How does it stay so luscious and prehensile when immersed in pond scum for years on end?

Is it L'Oreal?

e: sorry not sorry

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 24, 2015

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Air is lava! posted:

Yeah, that was just part of the game. I agree, it was kind of annoying, but I think that was the point of that part.

Niggurath posted:

I think it's just supposed to be a spooky sound, cause it seems to stop once they leave that room.

Fatal Frame 4 was okay, if a bit stretched thin. Also I think it was when Tecmo brought super creepy devs onto Fatal Frame, cause that's when they put in boob jiggle and super questionable outfits (which I guess they realized might be iffy for this game since they removed them).

I suppose it was stretched a bit, but I love it so much, that it didn't bother me. And yeah, they brought Grasshopper Manufacture in for Mask of the Lunar Eclipse, so we got some Suda51 action in that game, which is where I suppose the boob jiggle came from. Then again, this IS the same company that makes Dead or Alive, so I'm surprised there wasn't jiggle in the first three games.

Lunar Suite posted:

Clearly, the camera is just a prop that channels whatsherface's natural Professor X powers. *holds two finger to temple, nosebleeds*

So, the game doesn't let you quickly bring up the camera by tapping a trigger, then snap with the same? That sounds... like really bad controls.

Yeah, the camera button is X on the Wii U GamePad, and there's no way to change the control scheme. It's like Tecmo forgot about how bad the controls of the original games were, and just went back to that; the first to games had this same issue on the PS2, but both of them were fixed on the Xbox. I guess they just assumed people would absolutely want to use the motion controls and not the right stick, even though the option is there from the start.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

The Maiden of Black Water does sound like a pirate. Unfortunately (fortunately?) this is not a Pirates of Dark Water game.

Peter mentions the first Fatal Frame was based on a true story, but apparently that was just something the US marketing team throw on the box.

Also this series' outfits and depictions of women... sigh. "Let's go explore this abandoned water filled building in our designer cloths!"

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water - Is It Gonna Be Hairy?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

pedrovay2003 posted:

I suppose it was stretched a bit, but I love it so much, that it didn't bother me. And yeah, they brought Grasshopper Manufacture in for Mask of the Lunar Eclipse, so we got some Suda51 action in that game, which is where I suppose the boob jiggle came from. Then again, this IS the same company that makes Dead or Alive, so I'm surprised there wasn't jiggle in the first three games.
More than likely Suda/Grasshopper had very little influence on the game and were probably just outsourced by Tecmo for the technical side and not for game play aspects. And any skeeziness is probably on Tecmo's end since they probably have no faith that their games will sell without some pervy nonsense in it. I mean, I was honestly surprised they were even going to translate 5 after they decided to not fix up 4 enough to release outside of Japan and apparently even these releases are digital only (and massive from what I can guess in regards to the Wii-U's hard drive space). Which is a shame cause 4 was good for the most part; the story was spooky, the ghosts were visually interesting, the combat was made reasonably easier (though they shoehorned in some stupid motion controls) and it looks like 5 is shaping up to be the same way. A good game with a skeezy sheen.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

pedrovay2003 posted:

I guess they just assumed people would absolutely want to use the motion controls and not the right stick, even though the option is there from the start.

For what it's worth, that was really amazing on the 3DS version of Majora's Mask. Arrow shooting / Deku spit bubble aiming was so much easier actually moving the device, not a stick. So I can see where that would work really well.
However, trigger-style buttons are always the best choice for an action you gotta perform quick, because you have a single finger always on the trigger, whereas buttons like X are usually split with a thumb moving from button to button. If the hair clogging the drain suddenly shapes itself into GET OUT, you'll have no idea what button you left that thumb on, but you always know where your right trigger is.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

D_W posted:

The Maiden of Black Water does sound like a pirate. Unfortunately (fortunately?) this is not a Pirates of Dark Water game.

Peter mentions the first Fatal Frame was based on a true story, but apparently that was just something the US marketing team throw on the box.

My God, I haven't thought about Pirates of Dark Water in YEARS. I had totally forgotten that it existed. Just that title card was a huge wave of nostalgia. Also, that's a bit disappointing about the true story thing. Apparently it WAS based on Japanese urban legends, though, so I guess that's something.

Niggurath posted:

More than likely Suda/Grasshopper had very little influence on the game and were probably just outsourced by Tecmo for the technical side and not for game play aspects. And any skeeziness is probably on Tecmo's end since they probably have no faith that their games will sell without some pervy nonsense in it. I mean, I was honestly surprised they were even going to translate 5 after they decided to not fix up 4 enough to release outside of Japan and apparently even these releases are digital only (and massive from what I can guess in regards to the Wii-U's hard drive space). Which is a shame cause 4 was good for the most part; the story was spooky, the ghosts were visually interesting, the combat was made reasonably easier (though they shoehorned in some stupid motion controls) and it looks like 5 is shaping up to be the same way. A good game with a skeezy sheen.

Yeah, people have already been complaining about the Wii U's storage space, but at least you can get an external hard drive. I'm just upset about a lack of a physical release because I'm going to want to play these games YEARS from now, but I know that won't be a possibility as of right now. But at least it's playable at all.

Lunar Suite posted:

For what it's worth, that was really amazing on the 3DS version of Majora's Mask. Arrow shooting / Deku spit bubble aiming was so much easier actually moving the device, not a stick. So I can see where that would work really well.

I agree, the aiming controls in both Ocarina 3D and Majora's Mask 3D were fantastic. I tried it a bit in this Fatal Frame, though, and I almost prefer the stick; the motion doesn't feel very responsive to me. :/

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I'm glad you guys went back to horror games~ I can't wait to see this

Edit: Yeah don't do the ghetto recording. It doesn't seem worth it.

Zain fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 25, 2015

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
This made me want to revisit the LP of Fatal Frame 4 by Random Stranger, only to discover that it fell victim to the death of Viddler and blip.tv

Now i'm sad.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 2 is up! We're both really happy with how much people seem to be enjoying this one so far. :D

HenryEx posted:

This made me want to revisit the LP of Fatal Frame 4 by Random Stranger, only to discover that it fell victim to the death of Viddler and blip.tv

Now i'm sad.

We were doing a FF4 Let's Play also, and we lost the save data halfway through it. We might go back to it, though, since I love that game so much.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

pedrovay2003 posted:

Glad to be here. :D And whoops, I done goofed the name. There seem to be some control issues in this one too, but it's not so bad seeing as I'm not the one playing and drat is it ever pretty.

That wetness meter seems like something designed to drive me crazy, though. I like the idea of more powerful shots, but seeing as I'm the type of who often ran out of ammo in RE4 due to panicky shooting, more ghosts is less than ideal. The story's definitely neat though, I'm loving the variety of perspectives.

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009
What is up with the freekishly long legs on the girls in this game? It looks really creepy to me.

Also did why did they not translate "memo" on the tourist map?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Will this game give me nightmares because of monsters? I need to know because it maybe too spooky.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nyagato posted:

What is up with the freekishly long legs on the girls in this game? It looks really creepy to me.

Also did why did they not translate "memo" on the tourist map?

Yeah, I don't know about that. Sometimes things just don't get translated at all, and it can look out of place.

Gridlocked posted:

Will this game give me nightmares because of monsters? I need to know because it maybe too spooky.

I doubt this one will scare you all that much. And yeah, I wish I had said "spirits" or "ghosts" instead of "monsters" at that part. :P

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
"Wow, these pages are made out of wood!"
I love your commentary. It's so joyfull.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
You think we might need to see the map on the second screen in a game that literally doesn't allow you to veer off the correct linear path? I think we can live without the webcam, it's distractingly game-y for a horror game anyway.

For everyone coming here from the excellent Skate 3 thread, I suggest watching the LPers' other horror game forays between updates, particularly DreadOut, the Indonesian Fatal Frame knock off. The majority of the game is padding, but the parts that aren't are legitimately incredible, and the padding just gives them more room for great commentary.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Moist Meter is the best meter. Peter I don't know why you have such problems with it.

Anyway yeah no don't use that funky set up. There's no point.

Thanatz
Nov 4, 2010
This game seems a lot more pervy than I remember this series being. It's really taking me out of the atmosphere of the game, which is unfortunate, as 2 has some of my favorite atmosphere of any game ever. I hope it gets better.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I was really disappointed with this entry after having loved the previous four, I found it to be tedious and janky and just not up to par with the others. Still nice that it got localized it all.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
If you want the collector's edition, GAME would be the best place to try other than maybe ebay. I know that back in the day you could get things shipped from the UK to the US from GAME, but whether that stills holds true...

EDIT: Good news buddy! They will ship to you!
Bad news, no international ordering... But you could find a British friend?

Roro fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 28, 2015

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

The WiiU is region locked right? So that's probably the only downside to it.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

man nurse posted:

I was really disappointed with this entry after having loved the previous four, I found it to be tedious and janky and just not up to par with the others. Still nice that it got localized it all.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the consensus about this entry. I'm still going to like it, I'm sure, but I'm hoping it doesn't just disappoint me into not wanting another Fatal Frame.

Zain posted:

Moist Meter is the best meter. Peter I don't know why you have such problems with it.

I was a fool, but I see the light now!

Roro posted:

If you want the collector's edition, GAME would be the best place to try other than maybe ebay. I know that back in the day you could get things shipped from the UK to the US from GAME, but whether that stills holds true...

EDIT: Good news buddy! They will ship to you!
Bad news, no international ordering... But you could find a British friend?

I DO have a German friend... I wonder if that'd work.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Honestly I don't know why people have problems with the words wet and moist... I guess in regards to this game it makes some sense, but in general.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Hot on the heels of our Skate 3 finale, it's Part 3 of Maiden of Black Water! I hate auto-saving systems!

Zain posted:

Honestly I don't know why people have problems with the words wet and moist... I guess in regards to this game it makes some sense, but in general.

Yeah, I agree with you, words are just words. But we live in a pervy world, and I've been corrupted.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
A couple of things to mention, in episode two you comment on how pointless it is to have a comment button for the lilies, but lilies in Chinese symbolism are meant to ward off evil spirits, which would make sense (plantain lilies are known as jade hairpins due to the shape and colour of their leaves). There isn't a specific meaning in hanakotoba for plantain lilies, but there are a few varying meanings for lilies.
Also, is Mt Hikami based on the suicide forest in Japan?

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
:staredog: Jesus, you wouldn't think the ghosts would already be this aggressive this early on in a Fatal Frame game.

I do love that the pop-scare for picking stuff up is just a free-floating arm, regardless if it has a spot to poke out of or not.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Roro posted:

A couple of things to mention, in episode two you comment on how pointless it is to have a comment button for the lilies, but lilies in Chinese symbolism are meant to ward off evil spirits, which would make sense (plantain lilies are known as jade hairpins due to the shape and colour of their leaves). There isn't a specific meaning in hanakotoba for plantain lilies, but there are a few varying meanings for lilies.
Also, is Mt Hikami based on the suicide forest in Japan?

Oh, that's interesting. Yeah, that definitely adds more meaning to the random areas that you can check in the game.

And yeah, Mt. Hikami is directly based on the suicide forest, if I've read correctly. That's been popping up a lot lately, it seems.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Pete really is the best to be playing these games. Just his reactions to everything :allears:

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
Checked the Let's Play after a lot of deliberation. Now my own copy of the limited edition can't get here soon enough! :woop:
Delivery times and the price jumped up and away for some reason, didn't know there was a huge audience for these games in Finland.

Is there any info on whether a save on the trial version would carry on to the game proper? I'd like to try the trial version while waiting, but it'd seem like :effort: if I got the actual game and then had to replay the drops all over again.

As far as the LP goes, you guys don't have to stress about the vanishing ghosts: at least the Japanese version of the game keeps a spirit list of only battle ghosts and Mechanic X that'll probably come up later.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

CryingAthena posted:

Checked the Let's Play after a lot of deliberation. Now my own copy of the limited edition can't get here soon enough! :woop:
Delivery times and the price jumped up and away for some reason, didn't know there was a huge audience for these games in Finland.

Is there any info on whether a save on the trial version would carry on to the game proper? I'd like to try the trial version while waiting, but it'd seem like :effort: if I got the actual game and then had to replay the drops all over again.

As far as the LP goes, you guys don't have to stress about the vanishing ghosts: at least the Japanese version of the game keeps a spirit list of only battle ghosts and Mechanic X that'll probably come up later.

Oh, only the battle ghosts are kept in the log? I'm going to have to check that now... If that's true, then it'll be a first for the series.

And yes, save data does indeed carry over, at least as far as the digital version is concerned. We started out with the trial version, but we bought the game as of the beginning of Part 3, and we didn't have to restart; the entire game is basically considered DLC. I'm not sure if the digital version's save will carry over to the retail version, but it IS the same game, so I don't see why it would be a problem.

Zain posted:

Pete really is the best to be playing these games. Just his reactions to everything :allears:

Aw, I'm blushing! :allears:

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 1, 2015

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, part 5 is up! It takes nine seconds for me to get the poo poo scared out of me this time!

We seem to have had a slight sound issue, so the in-game audio is less than a second off. Apologies for that.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 4, 2015

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
"I think you're at full taint," Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water

Any idea of the current Camera Obscuras were models used in previous games, or if they look like actual new Cameras?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

These ghosts have SOOO much health. That seems completely unreasonable. Like I get that they shouldn't die in like 2 photos but like 7 seems exorbitant.

• Locked thread