Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

Creatures of horrid visage and disposition.
Steve

Steve hurriedly picks himself up off of the pavement, and makes his way unsteadily over to Jaylene to check the OWL for a pulse, and then rifle through their gear. <<Maybe they just liked coming here, to think about stuff. It seems pretty quiet and contemplative down here.>>

<<I'd come down here to think about stuff, that's all I'm sayin'>>

Electronics Operation is 18 for a bunch of stuff, and First Aid is also 18 but that doesn't seem like it's going to help anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Nanako Amaya

Amaya climbs the ladder until she reaches a vantage point overlooking the scene. After using her visor to examine the situation below, she bites her bottom lip. <<Don't relax, okay, you guys! This is really weird!>> She glances about their surroundings. <<No backup and waiting with just a baton? Like, they're going crazy up there… this positioning and preparation doesn't make sense for a hired asset.>>

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Becky

<Could be a third party. That'd be...annoying.> She glances down at the OWL, then nudges the body with her foot. <Wonder if this fucker's got anything useful on him. -wait, what? Steve, why the gently caress would you come down here? This is a drain! And we're gonna drown if we don't get moving soon. Besides, animals piss in this stuff.>

She looks over at Steve and shakes her head. <You're one dumb motherfucker, you know that? Anyway...>

Becky suddenly turns on her heel ot face Mary. She's not subvocalizing any more.

"Never do that again, you stupid loving bitch! You wanna cut your rope, you loving find a way to tell us! I thought you got attacked! And I told you when we started, I will drag your motherfucking corpse out of here if I have to! You do not go and make a unilateral decision like this without at least telling us somehow! Rope goes slack and we have no loving idea what happened, for all we know you were loving vaporized! You pull this poo poo again and I will loving beat the poo poo out of your goddamn ghost! Because every time you pull this poo poo, as far as I know you are already dead!"

Her anger here is the first real emotion to reach her eyes since the team got to the base.

"Are we loving clear, Mary?"

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Jaylene
While Becky and Mary have it out, Jaylene is taking off the helmet of the OWL. "I mean Becky is right. That said did you have to shout loud enough to wake up the whole base though? Now we're definitely gonna have to kill everyone." She lights a cigarette, thankful she kept a pack of newports in a waterproof container for just such an occasion. As she takes a drag she reaches for the OWLs head and drags the dead Merc somewhere for a photo op before putting the lit cigarette in his mouth. "Maybe there's a bounty for this guy. What do you think?" Jaylene says as she takes a moment to enjoy a couple of pulls before she leaves her calling card.

for consistency since I forgot to post before update Jaylene doesn't bother with the calling card and just field strips the "OWL" since there's no bounty for some poor smuck wearing standard issue army boots.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 3, 2015

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Mary

Huh. Well, she’d known something was up. “No bounty. Wasn’t an OWL.” She shakes her head, “See the boots. Tiger GI. Careful, that, Jay.” So, what then? Boobytrapped? Fake out? Some surveillance decoy? Hard to tell, but needless to say, she watches Jay’s search with interest.

That said, what she isn’t interested in is this yapping little dog, nipping at her ankles. When Becky finishes her little tirade, she tilts her head, looking down at the kid, sort of puzzled by the bluster. She for real? Looking down at her left boot, she then looks around the cistern, “Anyway, we gotta move quick, gotta‘ssume that whatever the gently caress that was tipped off the OWL.” If he’s a precog, could explain the high alert she figures, and having something waiting for them down here. Why they haven’t just been picked up by the bulk of the Tiger Army, who knows, maybe he’s a bad precog.

“David, there a better way out down here, or we going up the way we came down?”

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 1, 2015

Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

Steve

<<If the fake OWL guy was down here, he probably had a better way to get here than us Mary. Plus you'd need to have some way into this place to service it. I can see a bunch of power being routed up into the base, and some access ladders that might get us out of here. No way of knowing what's up any of them, though.>> Steve continue his careful, and now much more nervous work. Could the fake OWL be rigged with something?

<<If anybody minds scoping out the ladders and seeing if we can glean anything there, that should be our first move. Let me finish up here and I'll start taking a better look at things.>>

<<...David?>>

Radioactive Bears fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 1, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Becky

Becky's eye twitches as she gets ignored. "Don't you loving ignore me, bitch! I'm talking to you! We got a problem here if you're not gonna tell your loving team when you're gonna do poo poo like this! I gotta have your back whether I like you or not, that's the loving job. So - learn to loving signal us before you go and just drop off the loving radar!"

Becky doesn't seem to care about her volume. Killing everyone is fine by her - someone going off and doing something without warning and without any acknowledgement that people might be worried about them, that's not. She heads for the ladders, anger still all over her face. "Anyway, I'll poke my head out of one of 'em if you loving want, but..."

Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

Steve

<<Be sneaky, Beck! Much, much more sneaky than you are right now, if possible.>>

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Mary

The kid isn’t going to let it drop, so she rolls her eyes, “Made a tactical decision, chica, to not yank the resta you out the pipe like an anchor – was a short fall, for me anyway. Back to work.” Shaking her head, she waves to the techie, moving to check out a ladder at his suggestion, “On it.”

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Becky

Becky nods, still glaring. At least she's not so loud now. <Next time, give us a loving sign. We're your team, we can't fuckin' back you up if we're not informed of your decisions. Like I said, I fuckin' thought your rope got shot off in all the noise. You think we'd all be down here if we knew what your loving plan was?>

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
1107 - TIGER COMPOUND, LOWER CISTERN

It takes less than a minute for Jaylene to field strip the OWL. Empty, useless, save for the baton, which was just a spray painted iron pipe. Steve doesn't find anything special with his myriad of electronics or electric sense except for the OWL's helmet, which is still active. As Jaylene removes the helmet, there is a surge of electricity. Short-range high powered jamming. Audio and HUD scrambles as a projected silhouette appears in fixed space. It's sophisticated - Steve heard about zero-day exploits in milspec hardware allowing for remote code execution, but this is ridiculous.

Jaylene sees nothing, but she hears the audio playback well enough. The rest are treated to a musical interlude as the faceplate opens on the mask the OWL was wearing. The soft lyrics of Donald 'Buck Dharma' Roeser drift through all comm channels:

Insert BGM

quote:

Don't turn your back, danger surrounds you
Don't turn your back to the dogs who hound you
Don't turn your back, don't show your profile
You'll never know when it's your turn to go

The psychic-enabled folks in the FALCON squad are treated to a psychic hologram playback. It's video footage being projected into an artificial horizon. Surveillance footage from inside the compound. A scientist, one of the white lab coats, female, around 5'9", earrings. Birthmark under one eye. It shows her interacting with an archaic-seeming workstation (Steve would know it's EMP-shielded equipment) while other people walk by. The camera can't see what she does, but she reaches into her jacket and pulls something out in one hand.

Jaylene takes a good look at the fellow she had wasted. She had thought she loaded slugs, but at least this time around, it was bog standard shot - maybe someone messed up the labeling on her shells. It's definitely a he, alright, but based on the slack expression on his face, he's not aware that he's in pain and bleeding out. Is he aware of anything? A fair-skinned face with a neat, crisp shave. Close cropped hair. Tiger Army dogtags.

The song continues in the background as the figure, dressed differently from the labcoats and soldiers walking by, appropriately rises in volume. A gloved, exoskeletal hand is placed on the shoulder of the intent scientist. A familiar mask comes on screen.

quote:

Don't turn your back - one chance to save her
Don't turn your back - keep her out of danger
Don't turn your back - she'll return the favor
She wants you so, don't say no

Whatever expression the scientist has at being interrupted is unclear - it could be fear, resignation, or something else entirely. Her face is away from the camera, now focused on those two dimly glowing red points of light. The timestamp on the recording matches normal system time: 1104, not even three minutes ago. As Roeser sings the chorus on the fading song, the audio track smoothly crossfades into a hard, filtered voice. It's flat, but Mariana knows it from an earlier joint mission. The preferred vox changer profile of 'Sharp' Rasmussen Agustin. One of the medium-level Operators from OWL.

Welcome to Castle Agustin, friends, the voice says. Glad that FALCON could send some decent competition. Hope you treated my friend well...He was shipping back home to get married tomorrow... Dry, robotic laughter fills the air. The psychic video playback fuzzes, before fading away with some closing thoughts on the situation.

Good luck - I'll be waiting.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Mary

Tch. Privately, she’s a little impressed. It was a good trick – lotta style. She doesn’t let it show, just nodding her head in recognition, “Sharp.” Her eyes drift up towards the roof of the cistern, and beyond. If she were an anime, she’d be locking eyes with him across the distance, but she ain’t so she doesn’t. She'll see him real up close before this is all done.

“’least ways now we know he knows.” Mariana scowls, “Changes plans though. Has our girl, knows we want her. Going to try and throw us off.” But maybe he doesn’t know that their target is the AAA – still, they have to assume he does. “So much for doing this clean.” Crossing her arms, she looks to the others but comes to settle on Nanako, “Way I see it, we could stick with the plan – don’t know where the girl’d be held now though, or we hunt the OWL and put him down before he can gently caress the rest of this up, or we go hard at the AAA and blow through everything – making him come to us. But all that’s just me thinking.”

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Nanako Amaya

She shifts her weight and looks down at Mariana. "It's looking like we'll need to find him now! Kinda doubt he's doing this for the Tiger Army!" Amaya responds before switching to their sub-vocalized communications: <<Help 'em out! See if you can even wake him up, okay? It'd be really helpful if he could tell us some things.>> The mercenary fidgets a bit and adds, "I'm going to see where this ladder goes!"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Becky

Becky squints, despite this not helping at all for telepathy. <Nice music.> She looks down at the dying man. <Is this rear end in a top hat trying to make us feel bad for wasting the dumb motherfucker here? I hate it when people try that. Waste of time and words.> She sneers. <You really want to save this chucklefuck? My guess is he doesn't know poo poo, probably got himself controlled by the OWL. Who, by the way, I want to kill now. Fucker's gonna try to get in our heads.>

She looks over at Steve. <Steve, tell Jay what he said. It'll help you be useful. Anyway...you guys know my vote. Drop every motherfucker we meet in this place, hunt down the OWL, gently caress subtlety.>

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Jaylene
<I'm not sure what that was all about but that was a good song. OWL leave that message for us I assume? I'm gonna kill that prick. Anyway we gotta make moves, lets go guys!> As she starts to step off she turns to look to Mary?

"Wait, what do you mean he has our girl? You saying this OWL is loving with my payday!?!?! Then he's really gonna die. Nah lets stay on mission, take out the triple A hardcore. We'll figure the rest later."

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 3, 2015

Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

Steve

"Oh good lord that's weird." Steve shudders. <<Yeah, Jaylene, looks like the OWL is holding the prisoner. Also the OWL seems just... super creepy.>> Steve pulls out his first aid kit, and sweats as he begins treating the man lying in front of him. <<I think we should at least rethink teams. Maybe the combat experts go after the prisoner, and I go after the AAA while the OWL and presumably the Tiger Army is distracted? No matter what we do, if I can stop this guy's bleeding and he's not completely catatonic we might be able to get some information. Something is clearly up here, and I don't like going in without knowing what.>>

<<Is he completely catatonic?>>

Using First Aid at 18 on this guy, if possible. I got a first aid kit, but I'm not wasting too much stuff to help him.

Edit: On top of that, defaulting on Diagnosis at 10 to try and figure out what's wrong with this guy that isn't obvious (like the gunshot wounds).

Radioactive Bears fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 3, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Becky

<Are you - are you really trying to save that rear end in a top hat?> Becky sighs. <You're going to die if you go alone. Jay, Mary, you go and get the package. I'll keep this idiot alive until we get out. Sparkle Princess, you're with us.>

Becky shakes her head, nudging the Tiger soldier's head with her foot.

<Ugh, seriously, if this is how you're going to react to every motherfucker we don't ice in one shot, you're going to die.>

Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

Steve

<<Did you not see the creepy found footage serial killer poo poo that OWL showed us, Beck? Because this whole situation feels wrong, and I would like some information. This guy might have it.>> Steve sighs. <<Or he might have had his brain fried by some kind of psychic whammy. Either way, it's worth a try so we can avoid going in blind to what is very obviously a trap. Or a series of traps. Be careful on the ladders.>>

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Becky

<No, I did, I just don't give a poo poo. He wants to play games, that's not my problem. It's not yours, either. We're here to kill these assholes. Him doing some stupid-rear end Saw bullshit just means he's trying to get in our heads. So don't let him.> Becky shrugs. <If you can get this guy talking, maybe it'll be worth it, but trust me - don't buy into that stupid two-days-before-retirement poo poo. This guy here'd kill you without a blink.>

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Jaylene
<Becky make sure Steve doesn't get himself killed please. I'm making loving moves.>

Gonna keep moving through to get to the base proper.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Nanako Amaya

Amaya idly checks the exit at the end of her ladder. <<The OWL'll already think he got in our heads when we split up. I dunno if it's worth dropping from five to two or three against one odds.>> A pause. <<Okay, so… getting rid of him is critical to the mission. I'll think of something so we can get a step ahead of this guy!>>

Strategy (Land)-14 & Tactics-14

Razeam fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 3, 2015

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Before the next major update, I would like to have people establish in clear terms who is teaming up with who and what their objectives and directions are. Organize as a team and then have Nanako update with a planning scene. This gives you an opportunity to plan for any contingencies and get a bonus against them. Current update schedule is below:

• Update with terrain information for Nanako's survey
  • Update regarding Steve's medical check results
  • FALCON team finishes organization
  • Commitments to action
  • Next major update

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Mary

“Still the Tigers to deal with too.” She’s less worried about them – but if they get time to get their act together, they’ll be a problem too. “We go as five, he devotes his full attention to the lot. I’m sayin’ three-and-two, either split up, or moving apart so that when he makes his move, we can respond.”

She looks down at the dying decoy in the water of the cistern, shaking her head. It was a coward’s move, leaving that guy to die in his place. She doesn’t hold much hope for the guy though. Calling after Jay, Mary turns to catch up, “I’ll be your spotter.”

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Nanako Amaya

<<Eh… be nice if we could trick the OWL somehow! He knows way too much about, okay, everything. Like, we don't know about his hiding spots but I bet he knows this place super well! Would be really nice if we found some exits off his maps.>> Amaya absent-mindedly chirps as she mulls over strategies and tactics.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Jaylene
Jaylene nods as she puts out the cigarette she was smoking earlier, crushing it underneath her boots. Pulling the faceplate on her helmet down, she starts looking at TACNAV and tries to get her bearings/help Nanako figure out where they are at and where they can pop out unexpectedly.

Tactics 12, Navigation 12, and Savoir-Faire (Military) 14. Tactics to help Nanako,Navigation for the pathfinding bit, and finally Savoir-Faire (Military) for any small tidbits she might think of on the way regarding situations like these. Sorry I'm not more detailed but 3AM and my mind is shot.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
1115 - TIGER COMPOUND, UPPER CISTERN

Nanako's exploration of the ladder above while she tries to work out the OWL's game plan reveals a service hatch to a maintenance corridor that is currently shut. It is an airlocked door in the extremely unlikely event of water rising to that point, but can be opened from either side into the compound proper. It's not clear where specifically it is, other than its designation: "MAINTENANCE HATCH D-1".

Thinking on the strategy of the OWL, there is certainly some psychological tactics at play here. It is clear that if there was any expectation of the hapless Tiger Army soldier that was dressed up as an approximation of him that he was giving them a signal. This was his territory, after all, and there is no doubt that he had some intel that caused him to be on high alert. The woman displayed in the video footage is likely one that is of specific interest to the OWL - whether or not she is a target objective or something of personal interest is up for some debate. The overall strategy appears to have been to funnel whatever FALCON operatives into an area away from the Tiger security, which they have played the part of most flawlessly. The underlying reason behind it is unclear, but Nanako turns the chessboard - if she was organizing a defensive operation against a small quantity of people no more than a squad or two in number, then it would be trivial to make conventional methods of entry discouraging.

Tactics-wise, splitting up is not that bad of an option. There are multiple objectives that need to be addressed and performing a synchronized autonomous movement would put the OWL at a disadvantage. It comes down to the ability of the squad to work in cohesion, though, or else disastrous results could happen. Completing the primary objective then going loud to secure the remaining sub-objectives is also an option, provided they have a method of egress - which, as of right this moment, is not available unless they went out the way they came in. Not likely, given that their location could theoretically have been transmitted.

OWLs, in general, have been known for their eccentricities. Psychically trained soldiers have a tendency to become unhinged as time goes on, and the more operations they run the further off the deep end they tend to get. FALCON has a strict policy to rotate people off contracts and has strict debriefing practices. OWL has none of that - if someone wants to work, they work.

Nanako's psychology background kicks in. It may be that Rasmussen Agustin is looking for a hill to die on, which would make going up against him directly incredibly dangerous.

1115 - TIGER COMPOUND, LOWER CISTERN

Steve tries, vainly, to patch up the decoy OWL that is bleeding out. Save for his sturdy standard issue Tiger Army boots and the full-face helmet, every part of his frontal body took a hit. Steve goes in to patch up the torso, but it is grim. Nothing suggests the man is aware that he is in pain or his current condition, but he's not catatonic, either - he's just somewhere else in his head. Lacking in any formal training, he makes a guess based on one of the cheap run of the mill medical dramas that comes in over satellite feed to the FALCON compound - either it's drugs or brain muddling going down. The pupils are dilated and rapid eye movement suggests that the man is experiencing something behind the scenes, perhaps corresponding with psychedelics. It could be a mix of both, but at this rate, the man will have bled out before his brain realizes what's going on in the real world. Sorry fate for a groom to be.

Jaylene makes the rounds. The cistern is big - you could probably easily fit a city block in here from Port Moresby and have room to spare. With no reference markers to go by other than the way they came in, she makes some calculations. They headed north by northwest in more or less a straight line, so the cistern is likely directly underneath the compound. Going up the columns would likely get them into maintenance areas, though the orientation is unknown since there's no actual map of the facilities. There are numerous exits that she could follow out other drainage pipes, but as far as actual meaningful progress into the compound - up's the way to go. Figuring out which up is the right one, though, will take some time. If Steve can extract base schematics from a computer somewhere, it's likely that she'll be able to come up with a more targeted way to get to where they need to be.

Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

Steve

<<Alright, creepy guy made sure this guy would be useless to us. I don't know much about psychic whammies, but anybody going after the prisoner should be careful. Either for the whammies, or some kind of drugs.>> Steve wipes blood onto the dying man's clothes, and begins making for the ladders. At least one of them would probably be safe to enter. Surely. <<Man I hope we can find some kind of terminal soon.>>

Just going to look around the ladders, seeing what I can see.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Nanako Amaya

She starts climbing back down the ladder. <<The OWL wants to duel us… likely a last stand.>> The petite strategist glances back up at the maintenance hatch. <<If we can't surprise him, I agree that splitting up and blitzing is what we need to do now! I'm so sure he won't play it like a real pro. More like a crazy pro, I guess.>>

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Mary

<<His name’s Rasmussen Agustin, folks called him Sharp. If that’s what he wants…>> She’s somber about what Nanako suspects his motivation to be. On some level, she understands it. <<…I should be the one to oblige him.>>

Waving to Nanako, Becky and Steve, “Jay’n’I’ll be at your backs. Where ever we come out, unless we find something different, hit a straight shot for the target, we’ll cover your backs.”

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Becky

<Right. Okay. So - once we clear floors, go-time? Drop anyone in our way?> She looks down at the dying soldier. If he's dying, no need to waste a bullet. She shrugs. <We come out, go hot, you'll be backup for us?>

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Jaylene
<<There any chance you can stabilize the guy Steve? Any chance he can be put together after this? Otherwise I don't see a point in leaving him like this ya know. Now, lets begin. Mary's called the play lets do it.>>

Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

Steve

<<I like the plan, but we should try and stay quiet for as long as possible. Once we've scuttled their AAA we can probably go loud. Before then? I think it'd make things unnecessarily difficult. Beck, if you want to borrow my needler pistol I don't mind going without. You'd be better with it anyhow.>>

Steve turns to face Jaylene and the dying man, and sighs. <<I can't stabilize him. Not that he's suffering, as far as I can tell. He'll probably bleed out soon without even realizing he's hurt.>> He shrugs noncommittally, <<Your call on whether to end it fast, Jay. I'm all for avoiding more noise.>>

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Jaylene
<<Then get moving, I'll catch up in a second.>> Jaylene says as she takes a knee and grabs hold of the poor fellow's dogtags. With her left hand she yanks the tags off and with the knife in her right she puts the guy out of his misery. <<It's done. Moving out.>>

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
0700 - TIGER COMPOUND - COMMAND CENTER

"You're telling me the OWL isn't even here yet? What are we even paying for!? Our informants said that there's going to be a large invasion any day now, and it's been a week since the requisition!"

Angry voices flew through the war room like flaming cannonballs. Nobody in the room had any good news. Around the table, monitors scrolled logistical information and simulated tactics, blue-greens and reds showing last known locations of major movements. Base command was having a rough time of it, and their high value Bastion requisition from OWL had run them dry. Grim silence settled into the bulletproof-glass enclosed room as below on the operations floor technicians prepared to evacuate.

"Our estimates show that Chinese forces will be attempting landfall in five to ten hours. We have all we can afford committed to defense -"

"I'm telling you, do you have any idea how much money we are paying for that mercenary, we could have a whole platoon for what we paid -"

"Like you have any say in the matter at this point! We agreed to the terms almost a month ago by unanimous decision. Don't go telling me that you only voted yes because you wanted to posture like you could even fabricate another Tiger Platoon, much less lead them -"

"I'm going to loving shoot you like the dog you are -"

Over the intercom, soft bossa nova notes began playing, causing everybody to look up. A female voice starts up, testing the English language with its usage of foreign syllables in its repetoire, the great thief of pronunciation and definition from other languages:

Insert BGM

quote:

I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sleep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own

A figure walks in, an old casette player attached to their belt. "Sharp" Rasmussen Agustin, the OWL, walks in. In one hand, a sword with monofilament wires streched from end to end of a reinforced plank of nanoreinforced steel. Sharper than any blade of legend, just as light as a fictional light saber, and just as effective and chopping things into many, many pieces. In his other hand is one such example, a soldier bearing Chinese insignias. He would be walking, but he's missing a leg, evidenced by the trail of blood from before.

"Come now, Jin," the robot voice said. "We're here now like we talked about. Tell these gentlemen - yes, gentlemen - in English, please, about what you told me before."

"Who the gently caress are you -"

"I think we all know it's impolite to interrupt, especially when you know the answer already," Rasmussen says, while the music continues:

quote:

I used to roll the dice
Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing
"Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!"

"Lieutenant Karthik, that will be enough. This is important, so please, take your hand off your sidearm."

quote:

One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand

The Chinese soldier started talking, even keel. One would have thought he would be in excruciating pain, far too much in shock to answer even basic questions, but a cauterization patch has been applied. "The operation for landfall is a fake," he said, as if he was talking to a group of his own soldiers directly. "We're operating dummy forces to make landfall while we have an operative team planning a precision assault on the AAA installation. After making landfall, we'll have two Youxia frames that have been traveling overland engage while mercenary operatives breach the internal compound and disable it."

Jin continues: "Once we receive confirmation that the network was down, that's when the real invasion would begin. It has a very high chance of success, so nobody should be worried about it. Our combat engineers won't lose to the Tiger Army."

The Chinese soldier convulses as the sound of a bullet being fired out of a standard issue 9mm sidearm causes everybody on the operations floor to look up. A fresh wound blossoms from the chest of the amputee/detainee. Lieutenant Karthik's sidearm wafts smoke. The OWL looks down, shrugs, and throws the body behind him.

"I take it you're up to speed now, yes? If you don't mind, I would ask you relinquish control of base defense to me. We have some work to do...Mister Karthik included."

---

1118 - TIGER COMPOUND, LOWER CISTERN

Jaylene scoops up the dogtags and takes a quick look after giving him a clean end. Karthik Ravikumar. Lieutenant First Class. So much for him.

Alright, so what's the plan again?

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Nanako Amaya

Amaya climbs down to rejoin the group. She points at random maintenance hatches and drainage pipes. <<Okay… we'll check those for a bit. I guess until we find one leading up! Everyone split up so we can find a way out! After someone finds a good exit, we'll group up and head inside it. Then when we reach the base we'll need to find a map! If we don't find one, we can't split up. No way to work as a team if we're in the dark, right? Formation will be what we agreed on earlier: me, Becky, Steve as going on ahead; Lena and Mary covering us from behind. Let's go!>>

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Mary

<<S’a base, not a labyrinth. Map’s good but just use your head until then.>> Tugging down on her gloves, she secures her gear and gives a nod. Jaylene gets a light punch in the shoulder before Mariana starts climbing up the ladder to one of the hatches. She doesn’t have to tell the Null what’s up, they’ll both be fine on overwatch, Becky should be apt enough to clear the way in front for the other two. As good a plan as they can come up with, working in the dark like this.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
pre:
TEAM A - FALCON 01, 02, 04
TEAM B - FALCON 03, 05
1130 - TIGER COMPOUND - MAINTENANCE AREA D-1

With so many options to pick going up, the team finishes reorganization and heads up the ladder next to the drainage pipes that they came out from, now reduced to a trickle. The rain is likely dying down outside so the pumps are diverting flow through their systems at normal capacity. Rebecca, Nanako, and Steve are the first ones up through the maintenance hatch that Nanako inspected earlier, expecting the worst.

Thankfully, nobody received the memo from the Tiger Army that there is anything wrong. They are in an auxiliary shack with an unmarked door leading into what could only be the main compound. Computers in the cramped room, operating headlessly, hum away quietly as the roof has an infinite percussive symphony echoing into the room, dampened to a pleasant hiss of white noise. Steve jacks in and has a look - fortunately, the maps to the base are under basic security protocols that he's able to bypass with ease.

Data starts streaming to each person's HUD - they came up on the west side of the main control building. The smaller separated modules that they saw from their vantage point awhile back appear to be research and a variety of ECM and ECCM oriented modules, as well as an unmarked one that is under classified status. There is likely something important there, but whether or not it's relevant to the current mission is up for discussion. Steve, helpful as he is, marks it with a highlighted border and a series of question marks.

The internal schematics for the four story compound show that they are definitely not ready for a massed invasion. The ground and second floors are reserved for crew quarters and essential base services - mess hall, sick bays, armory, and the like. With everything centralized, it would be easy to mobilize a defense militia, but if you have someone infilitrating the interior already, it's trivial to access these vital services.

Higher up, things get much more locked down. Warnings on the schematics that elevated security clearance is required to access floor three via a fortified elevator shaft suggests that main logistics are located there. Smart thinking on the base designer's side. A warning that someone added in as a pending comment awaiting approval to the map says: //> Communications blackout in effect - use hardwire communications only. No wireless in/out of 3F Command Ops. - PK It has plenty of upvotes from assorted base staff.

Of special note in the third floor is what appears to be an array of holding cells. The map does not detail if they are occupied or not, though.

It looks like the third floor is fortified but has a panopticon-style command room that looks over the operations floor, which is towards the middle of the building. A realization - the base is segmented - you must go through the third floor to get back down into the operations floor. Certainly something that will cause headaches very soon. There are emergency escape routes clearly marked, but normal day to day operations require a single point of entry/exit.

The fourth floor appears to house all of the servers and has executive level quarters. Base high command private chambers are up there right along with the high voltage required to power the AAA network remotely for the region.

You now have several new locations that you can go to - if you have interest in going to a specific location directly, ask me directly and I can detail the route you need to take to get there.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Becky

Becky checks the map, considering options. Her goal is simple - get Steve to his target alive, kill everyone in her way. Ideally kill the OWL but avoiding would also be fine. <Looks like we're going to need to find someone with heightened clearance to get up to those computers, unless you can deal with the better locks - and we'll probably need to go through the OWL on the way there, too. Chokepoint and all. gently caress, I hate good base designers.>

She shrugs, checking her guns again.

<I don't care which path we take - I'll drop anyone in our way.>

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Jaylene
<<We need to lockdown the third floor. We own the third floor we own the base. We can bust out the asset from that level as well if she's there. That unmarked module is probably Steve's target. Getting there will be tricky, we'll probably fight our way to it on the way out. I think me and Mary should hold the elevator for you and dominate the 3rd floor while you guys go up and finish the mission. Then we regroup and go in force.>>

Jaylene is interested in everything to do in getting to and from the 3rd floor and 4th floors. She wants to lock the 3rd floor down completely so the rest of the team can do the job. If there is a way to access the 3rd or 4th floor externally, maybe climbing somehow (no clue how) or an outside stairwell. That would be a thing worth considering also. Finally Jaylene is considering a nuclear option: going down to the ground floor and starting things off by grenading tiger army soldiers while they are still hanging out in the squadbay and then razing that floor of the base room by room, compartment by compartment. I have no idea if thats even a realistic proposition for one PC or desirable for the team. But I figure it would throw a wrench into any defense plan when they are having mass casualties in their midst. They'd focus on ending that threat and leave the rest of the team relatively clear to do their thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

Steve

<<Huh, I was thinking my data might be in the server room...>> Steve scratches his head, and begins leafing through as much data as he can. <<Maybe it is in there, I don't know. Let me check something real quick before I throw in my two cents.>>

Using Computer Operation 15 to try and figure out where that data I got to switch is located!

• Locked thread