Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I wish there was a PC port for Steel Battalion. The real one, not the failed kinect tech demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ega5Rcct2s

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wow I keep sniping the pages of different threads with whitenoise shitposts and I don't know how this keeps happening.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Wow I keep sniping the pages of different threads with whitenoise shitposts and I don't know how this keeps happening.

2pro4thisthread

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

T.G. Xarbala posted:

could it be that you post a lot of whitenoise shitposts?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
You forgot Space Engineers, owl conglomerate.

Which has a map size of 6.6 AU as of last update, and a small team working on it, but whatever, contrary pro-SC goons.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

where the gently caress is Krazy Karl?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

EminusSleepus posted:

where the gently caress is Krazy Karl?

Bitcoin is down, can't afford another account.

Truly a sad day :(

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

trucutru posted:

could it be that you post a lot of whitenoise shitposts?

that makes sense, yea

:beerpal:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

Good for you man, keep that positive vibe. It's better to be happy in space than grumpy, and anyway, in space no one can hear you moan, so what's the point?
People need to turn those frowns upside down imo, I'm with you all the way.

I can hear me moan in space all day lo... you know, that actually sounded a lot more awful out loud than in my head...

Loiosh posted:

There's no need to mock me for sharing details of game development. I'm sorry it's upsetting, but I like sharing that kind of detail. Development is fascinating.

I once shared your optimism. Then my friends poo poo all over it and are now mad about how pessimistic i am about everything. Dont let this happen to you.

OWLS! posted:

Grats Shitizens, you managed to get yourself something that is more tedius than EvE Online.

Simon Cowell. That is all.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Bitcoin is down, can't afford another account.

Truly a sad day :(

that's Seraph!

Seraph seems to have accepted that Star Citizen is poo poo at this point. Karl is still a true believer. Both are totally insane.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

seraph, octopode and karl are actually all the same person

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

grimcreaper posted:

Simon Cowell. That is all.
loving beavers.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

OWLS! posted:

loving beavers.

Every time i see your name, it ALWAYS gets that song playing in my head. Always. And then the final fantasy battle-win song. Its the weirdest thing.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

So where are the Youtubes for PUA 2.0? Or did it get delayed again?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
:toot:

Nah, let's see. I'mmah watch the livestream again.

I want to see this guy make it to the FPS station.

It's like playing I wanna be That Guy.

Except instead of avoiding platformer death, he's avoding crashes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's the authentic SC streamer experience

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

While hilarious, I don't feel like crashes will be a long term problem. Anything happening that often is going to be pretty easy to reproduce and eliminate for even a half-awake dev team.

Beyond that, I'm not seeing a lot in this release to excite. Looks like running around on stations and flying in a bigger world, which is nice but that's basically what we could already do. Exploring with no incentive will be exciting for a couple weeks at most.

But where's the missions? More specifically, where's the multi-crew, the whole point of 2.0?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Did... he... just hit an invisible wall?

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Sarsapariller posted:

But where's the missions? More specifically, where's the multi-crew, the whole point of 2.0?

That's not important right now. They need to finalize concierge card details and figure out pricing for the ship jpeg sale. That other game crap can wait until 2016.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Remember, they're going WIDER for 2016

:goatsecx:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I went to Twitch to look at 2.0 but everyone has gone back to the hangar or the CIG website to try and sell viewers more JPEGs.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Omi-Polari posted:

I went to Twitch to look at 2.0 but everyone has gone back to the hangar or the CIG website to try and sell viewers more JPEGs.

http://www.twitch.tv/wtfosaurus

He has been trying to find the FPS section for an hour+ now.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Have any of the streamers managed to find the FPS station yet because for such a hyped feature it seems suspiciously well hidden!

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Okay, seeing it on Twitch, it looks like dog poo poo, who the hell thought it was a good idea to have the pilot shake around when the ship move?

It looks like poo poo. Also, the chat is just delightful.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

8 Ball posted:

Have any of the streamers managed to find the FPS station yet because for such a hyped feature it seems suspiciously well hidden!

Not so far. It seems the map is cluttered with useless (unused) points that its hard to move around the map.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

1500 posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/wtfosaurus

He has been trying to find the FPS section for an hour+ now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pt6rPDrQqA

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

8 Ball posted:

I thought the whole idea was the FPS was integrated into the whole PU? Like you could engage in FPS combat anywhere and everywhere

So it's still just restricted to a designated FPS arena? lol

RagnarokZ posted:

Okay, seeing it on Twitch, it looks like dog poo poo, who the hell thought it was a good idea to have the pilot shake around when the ship move?

It looks like poo poo. Also, the chat is just delightful.

Secret reveal, Michael J Fox had a hand in some of the animation work

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

please clean / remove his eye boogers for him. :\

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

1500 posted:

Actually ED is 128-bit SIMD, and its maps are much larger then AC 2.0.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5902&page=45&p=564346#post564346

The width of the SIMD pipeline does not determine the precision, just the number of operations you can perform in parallel.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Lets play nice and NOT compare ELITE to SC as games, but we should look at them as products.

But from a development viewpoint, its OK to compare, because both took different routes and we can clearly see who made better business decisions. SC has told us what its going to do, spoiling itself, telling us what the story is about, how things are going to be made, how ships are modeled. Elite, doesn't give a drat about what you think and goes on ahead doing stuff their way. However, they are open to changes in their forums and have listened to their customer base.

That being said, as products, both are space games and the debate is the same as Star Wars vs Star Trek. They're both different and fantastical takes on the space sim genre. Lets give that a rest and focus on whats important here.

Gameplay, value, whether you feel the devs are cheating you, whether there's a future for the game.

Is Star Citizen as a game FUN? You decide, sure its Pre pre pre pre alpha and what not, honestly i could say the same for Elite. Braben said Elite would be developed for the next 10 years, so technically its final incarnation is in 10 years. Whatever we're playing now is still WIP, damned good WIP if you asked me.

Does Star Citizen give deep and meaningful gameplay to be had? O_o?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sappo569 posted:

I'm a fan of the lack of crosshairs still

hahahaha

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
http://www.twitch.tv/kingkongor/ has been crashing every ~10 minutes while doing hardly anything.
Movement is janky as gently caress, this looks real bad.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Finally caught up to the 1k overnight threadnaught and...

BMan posted:

Squadron 42 unlocks things in the PU :psyboom:

Croberts will FORCE you to play his 10 hour movie DAMMIT

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

When asked about customizing loadout: "They're still working on the design document."

Aesaar posted:

They're literally showing bar jpegs off of Google Images now. Jesus loving Christ.

I am so glad to not have any of my money with these absolute failures and bullshit artists.

Yeah, the kind of vindication from Arena Commander, which only got fixed to actually working multiplayer 6 months after coming out, no doubt! Here's what it looks like to me:

Loiosh posted:

I'm kinda used to jank like this. It's not really that surprising to me. If they don't fix it in December, if I cannot get in my Connie and fly around doing stupid poo poo, I'll be concerned. But seeing this, it's an alpha. What'll be telling is seeing how well they clean it up.

Loiosh - I totally get where you're coming from. It's the exact same place I was coming from 2 years ago, when they released their first alpha module and it too had its hiccups. It was even when they released Arena Commander and its multiplayer component didn't work for 6 months, even tho they advertised that it would initially. I just assumed: "Come on - it's their first alpha with multiplayer featuring prominently. Surely, they need some months to figure out how to do proper QA testing, set up hires, ect. and not just rely on public testing to somehow magically feel motivated to do literally all the testing feedback for them."

But after a whole year and they STILL say poo poo like: "Hey everyone! Test and feedback this poo poo for us, because we literally would rather spend your hard-earned cash on 4 mocap studios to make this movie, OH SORRY, :airquote: VIDEO game :airquote: as opposed to...oh I dunno...a QA department, that actual video games always need"? And that they, alongside doing this, still have the audacity to put ship sales of .jpegs in the hundreds of dollars per piece?

gently caress them and the 'savior of PC gaming' boat they rode in on. By this point...I'm just so glad to be out of this and pity everyone that will now probably have to wait several MONTHS before all the constant crashes of PTU 2.0 finally get reigned in.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 20, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

A Neurotic Jew posted:

that's Seraph!

Seraph seems to have accepted that Star Citizen is poo poo at this point. Karl is still a true believer. Both are totally insane.

Sorry!

Truth be told, I don't think I should devote any percentage of my memory to the personal characteristics of a child diddler and a person with a crippling mental disorder.

I'll just simplify my responses to Karaph or, better yet, "that/those person/people who spends way too much money on Space Jpegs".

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU
Octopode why do you have such a hardon for technicalities and semantic arguments, dude?

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

1500 posted:

Actually ED is 128-bit SIMD, and its maps are much larger then AC 2.0.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5902&page=45&p=564346#post564346

yeah not correct, these are operations performed on vectors of 32 or 64 bit values simultaneously for speed gains

there is no hardware support in x86 for quad precision math

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU
Also I gotta say, Loiosh, man, bless your little heart for managing to remain so cheerful and optimistic while still having (mostly) realistic expectations. You're pretty sharp for a flappy lizard with a brain the size of a rednut.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

"Wait a minute...I thought all you did was pick on innocent :lesnick: ."

"Innocent? Is that supposed to be funny?! An obese man, a disgusting man who can barely stand up, a man if you saw him on the street and point him out to your friends so they could join you in mocking him, a man who, if you saw him while you were eating, you wouldn't be able to finish your meal! And after him I picked on CRoberts and you all must have secretly been thanking me for that one! This is a man who dedicated his life to making MONEY by LYING with every breath that he could muster to keeping himself and Gizmondo in Hollywood! AND SANDI! A WOMAN...so ugly on the inside that she couldn't bear to go on living if she couldn't be beautiful on the outside?!"

"Only in a world THIS lovely could you try to say these game devs were innocent and keep a straight face!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
star citizen has
encountered a problem and
needs to close ('SUCK IT')

alpha universe
so many blockers; please try
high fibre diet

• Locked thread