Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
I like how the people who say "The first year doesn't count so it's only been 3 years!" are the same people who look at that hilarious inaccurate chart about game dev times and say "The game before this one was released x years ago, that means that all the time between the release of that game and this one counts as dev time!"

I guess it's really easy to be right all the time when you change the definitions of words to suit your needs.

New page :gary::gary::gary::gary::gary::gary::gary::gary::gary:

Edit: words

xanif fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Kurt seems upset

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

xanif posted:

I like how the people who say "The first year doesn't count so it's only been 3 years!" are the same people who look at that hilarious inaccurate chart about game dev times that starts with "The game before this one was released, that means that all the time between the release of that game and this one counts as dev time!"

I guess it's really easy to be right all the time when you change the definitions of words to suit your needs.

If it comes out ahead of the curve, regardless of quality, it'll be heralded as an example of efficiency without publisher meddling.
If it comes out well behind the curve, regardless of quality, it'll be heralded as an example of how to make a game properly without a publisher rushing it out the door.
If it never comes out at all it'll be the fault of a comedy forum on the internet, but it will be coming out, don't worry. Very soon.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Google Butt posted:

Kurt seems upset

Someone wasn't duly impressed by the progress made after 4 years and $100M - ε collected (and most likely spent). That should be enough to upset anyone! At that point, it is every citizen's duty to push the current state of development further back in the greek alphabet.

By mid-2016, I expect the versions to have regressed well into cuneiform or hieroglyphics…

Tippis fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 6, 2015

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

D_Smart posted:

Correction

4yrs (they didn't throw out the 1yr work prior, and I have it on good authority they paid themselves for that work, right off the bat)
+
$100m
+
over 500 (at its peak) people
+
croberts
=
pre-Alpha-Alpha (for a game coming in 2016)

How jealous are you at this point?

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Dusty Lens posted:

If it comes out ahead of the curve, regardless of quality, it'll be heralded as an example of efficiency without publisher meddling.
If it comes out well behind the curve, regardless of quality, it'll be heralded as an example of how to make a game properly without a publisher rushing it out the door.
If it never comes out at all it'll be the fault of a comedy forum on the internet, but it will be coming out, don't worry. Very soon.

I want it to be my fault if it doesn't come out.

It will be the lowest effort I have ever put in to breaking anything ever and I think I deserve the credit by simply existing.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Viller posted:

I hope I have more stuff to do when I'm "retired" than pointlessly trolling more successful people than I.

:ironicat:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

"There are only 2 things I want to see released. Star Citizen and poison gas" -Kurt M

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
"The reign of Star Citizen will last a thousand years." - Kurt M

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax
That's him with the final solution

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015
Wow. Looks like someone flew to the nearest comm station without jumping and things actually showed up on the far end (so not cheating the way that ED does?):

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3vo1kf/cruisin_to_comm_array_126_the_66000_km_and_195/

Whatever voodoo he used not to crash for 20 hours - I want some of it.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Iglocska posted:

Wow. Looks like someone flew to the nearest comm station without jumping and things actually showed up on the far end (so not cheating the way that ED does?):

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3vo1kf/cruisin_to_comm_array_126_the_66000_km_and_195/

Whatever voodoo he used not to crash for 20 hours - I want some of it.

He was offline. It's significantly more stable when you remove the online part because their netcode suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

xanif posted:

He was offline. It's significantly more stable when you remove the online part because their netcode suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

I know, I tried playing it offline and it's still unstable as gently caress.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

TTerrible posted:

This is true, but why do it if you're not going to use it? Refactoring everything to sit on top of DX12 is an enormous, project wrecking change. Doing it just to enable some optional stuff for small part of your player base is even worse.

Go big or go home or do the sensible thing and don't do it at all.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Iglocska posted:

ED cheats in the transitions between solar systems, because even a gamespace at 128bit precision is not enough to contain an entire galaxy, just one 1:1 solar system at a time.

It'd have to have more than one solar system to find out if Star Citizen did this or not.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 6, 2015

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

tooterfish posted:

ED cheats in the transitions between solar systems, because even a gamespace at 128bit precision is not enough to contain an entire galaxy, just one 1:1 solar system at a time.

It'd have to have more than one solar system to find out if Star Citizen did this or not.

Ah I see. I thought it was also within the same solar system in E:D.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Er, 128 bit precision would be more than enough for a galaxy.

2^128 is 3.40e+38

Our galaxy is roughly 1.13532e+24 mm across

Heck, with 128 bit, you could do it with integers rather than floating point.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

I got into the alpha. Here is a video of one of my first times playing, note I have no idea what's going on nor have I ever played this game before. I managed to get onto some random guys ship and then I died alone in a remote part of space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFxYe7d5_ds
What are you talking about? Flushing boarders out of the airlock was a planned feature to make boarding more interesting.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RuckusRouser posted:

I am not sure how mean goons are allowed to be

Goons are allowed to be exactly this mean: http://www.somethingawful.com/news/were-all-gonna/

"Your poison womb is making heaven too loving crowded."

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

ShredsYouSay posted:

Er, 128 bit precision would be more than enough for a galaxy.

2^128 is 3.40e+38

Our galaxy is roughly 1.13532e+24 mm across

Heck, with 128 bit, you could do it with integers rather than floating point.
Maybe they didn't want to load 400 billion stars and however many trillion planets into memory at once then, I don't know. Doesn't really matter to the point I was making.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
CIG, please save my immersion:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...-0-main-release

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HATE GRIEFING

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
HIGHLY NEGATIVE

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm bother by Mark Hamill's character's nickname.

Why not just call him "The Vet", then at least some FNG could ask if its because he likes animals or some poo poo. Maybe have other squad members play along and create an elaborate backstory for an "Ah, gotcha!" moment?

Christ, Roberts. You suck.

Also, by Navy tradition "The Old Man" is usually referencing the ship Captain, final authority to everything onboard.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Angela Christine posted:

Goons are allowed to be exactly this mean: http://www.somethingawful.com/news/were-all-gonna/

"Your poison womb is making heaven too loving crowded."

I dunno if that'd fly still today, but the dead babies awful link drama was among the best the site has ever had. I think something like this might be in our past, simply because the masses have gotten a little better at dealing with the Internet unfortunately.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Kurt seems upset
Well, aren't you upset that Chris Roberts' masterpiece, Star Citizen, isn't being shown the proper reverence and that the Nazis didn't win WW2?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
heh maybe he should just stick to the social module if he doesn't like being griefed.

Oh wait.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mirificus posted:

Well, aren't you upset that Chris Roberts' masterpiece, Star Citizen, isn't being shown the proper reverence and that the Nazis didn't win WW2?

Kurt got really irate that Horst-Wessel-Lied wouldn't be included in the game's OST.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Kurt got really irate that Horst-Wessel-Lied wouldn't be included in the game's OST.

Sandi is such a tease.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ZenMaster posted:

g'nite you shining citizens

Until recently, I never knew that Chris Roberts had directed the Wing Commander movie. It always puzzled me that Wing Commander had these colorful and interesting looking space fighters, but the film used scrapped 1950s fuselages that looked like big gray turds on screen. It bugged me that only someone who had no connection with the original game would pull that off, now it looks like it's the brainchild of the same guy who made the series and that he probably did it on the cheap to embezzle some money for some coke.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tippis posted:

Sandi is such a tease. -Chris Roberts

FTFY

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Wow, even the CIG forums are ripping into him for being a whiny bitch. When the SC community tells you to grow thicker skin you need to reevaluate your life.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

xanif posted:

Wow, even the CIG forums are ripping into him for being a whiny bitch. When the SC community tells you to grow thicker skin you need to reevaluate your life.

The economy isn't in yet, so he can't.

Edit: Didn't see the other e, whatevs

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It must be terrible for Kurt living in this reality when he could be living in an alternate one where Sandi sang the Horst-Wessel-Lied, Star Citizen came out as promised and on schedule, and the Nazis won World War 2 leading to prosperity for his country.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Kurt M is going to be the new Karl

Kurt "the Allies weren't the good side" M

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Kurt watches The Man in the High Castle and wonders why all the main characters have a problem with everything

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Kurt M is one of those hosed up weirdos like Karl and Dickwulf that thinks that video games and video game devs need to have a valiant community protector like him around, even though nobody at the studio would do more than make fun of him

LEAVE THE MASS EFFECT ENDINGS ALONE

:qq: :qq:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Young Freud posted:

Until recently, I never knew that Chris Roberts had directed the Wing Commander movie. It always puzzled me that Wing Commander had these colorful and interesting looking space fighters, but the film used scrapped 1950s fuselages that looked like big gray turds on screen. It bugged me that only someone who had no connection with the original game would pull that off, now it looks like it's the brainchild of the same guy who made the series and that he probably did it on the cheap to embezzle some money for some coke.

Look at the bright side. He also got the names of most of his own characters wrong, as well as their personalities, backgrounds, enemies… you know, the bits that actually made WC interesting. Oh, and also everything related to space.

I'm not entirely sure “bright side” is a suitable description, but that just fits the overall theme of the movie.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tippis posted:

Look at the bright side. He also got the names of most of his own characters wrong, as well as their personalities, backgrounds, enemies… you know, the bits that actually made WC interesting. Oh, and also everything related to space.

I'm not entirely sure “bright side” is a suitable description, but that just fits the overall theme of the movie.

deep down he must know he had his shot: make a hollywood movie, with the IP that made him famous no less, but he hosed it all up because hes a poo poo director and writer.

never going to get closer to your dream than that chris. but you hosed it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

this man cares about games journalism sites so much that he will open a bottle of champagne each time one he disapproves of dies

the mark of a mentally healthy, normal, and cool person

lmao

• Locked thread