Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i've become convinced that this thread is the game, and it's delivered up a whole lot of entertainment for :10bux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

can't believe gamergate still is (or ever was) a thing.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Eonwe posted:

having a rap sheet is good

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

spacetoaster posted:

I won't be able to get back on the internet until Sunday night. :(

see you on page 1500 then

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

let's not get carried away

Once SC's out of the picture DS will be exposing Lowtax's nepotism, corruption and shoddy forum coding and we'll be the whales that DS is harpooning

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

it was two weeks two days ago

shouldn't it be 12 days by now?

I feel like christmas is coming but it's only january and the only gift anyone's getting is the blubbering of space whales

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Bait and Swatch posted:

Bootcha and DSmart, what is going on with Sandi. Before you answer, understand I have no desire for truth of any kind and large exaggerations followed by "two weeks" are welcomed for the triggering they cause the lurkers itt

stop triggering the lurkers itt, we're people too

well, "people".

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

pftc posted:

Well. Time for another question to Sandi.

Why do you like that pink shirt so much, Sandi?

You wore it on two different days.
https://archive.is/Fb1tw
https://archive.is/A1nqK

It's either that, or you make it seem like you're working multiple days, by taking photos of a bunch of things around the office on one day, and then spreading those photos out over the course of a week or so.

i dunno man this is weird

like sometimes i don't throw my clothes away after i wear them.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Amarcarts posted:

If someone buys me an avatar I'll reread this thread from the beginning and write a daily blog about how it's going.

reading this thread is its own reward

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Amarcarts posted:

Star Citizen Thread Read Through Day 1 - 1/9/2016

Well I thought it would be a funny joke, but I may have bitten off more than I can chew. Someone bought me an avatar so I'm going to read through the thread from the beginning. Right away from the first post I'm disgusted in myself for making this deal. Thank God Derek is only linking to his blogs and not actually quoting them. Actually now it's starting to get not so bad. Derek's writing is heavy handed, but his commitment to never surrender is inspiring me to do the same with this project. I'm going to shut up and read now.

Well things were going along pretty smoothly and my mood was lifted until A Neurotic Jew posted Chris's entire response to the escapist article. I'm not even off of the the first page.

in no way is it worth attempting this for :10bux: worth of avatar, friend.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

kordansk posted:

I fantasized about Gillian Anderson, ping-pong balls, and her screaming, but not in that exact order.

gross

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

kikkelivelho posted:

Anything good happen during the last 5000 loving posts? I haven't been following this clusterfuck lately.

nah, the OP has you covered with the interesting developments

vvvvv I don't think you're missing anything, they're pretty scammy

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 10, 2016

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

if the game comes out I will buy it and play it, I'm looking forward to it in fact. Even if it's terrible.

I'd rather eat a poo poo than play SQ42 even for a second though

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

rip starman citizen

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

wyoak posted:

This thread has gone downhill (except pgabz), needs more videos and less message board reposting
More :gary: less armchair psychology
Just my opinion

:agreed: and :gary:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

it's just an office meeting. all office meetings are cramped, miserable and lovely. doesn't matter the size or turnover of the company

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

no i need to see my arms flailing around of their own volition going through a twenty-step starship ignition process or I won't be able to suspend my disbelief and I'll realise I'm some autistic whale in a cheap office chair that's spent thousands on jpegs of lacklustre space ships

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Mirificus posted:

Some even want it to be the last game they play for the rest of their lives.

since there'll likely be a mass space whale suicide when CIG folds one of the alphas probably will be the last game they play

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

aleksendr posted:

You cant argue they don't know how to sell the Hype. The scanners, indigenous life forms, the buggy... Just this ships alone could be considered a whole game by itself.

If they had just made that the game they might have had a chance of getting it out the door. Although I'm pretty sure I remember doing all this already in Spore.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

A Neurotic Jew posted:

star citizen is a cancer and we are the cure imo.

bankruptcy will cure star citizenship, we're just here for the laughs

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

something mighty depressing about that chair but I can't quite put my finger on it

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

alf_pogs posted:

pretty interesting stuff; look forward to these users eventually realising what they've sunk money into and going defcon 1,000

lower defcons are worse, defcon 1000 is 200 times more chilled than our normal state of readiness to have a nuclear war

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Meanwhile OMG NEW ARMOR LOOK AT THIS poo poo I'M SO GLAD THEY HAVE THEIR PRIORITIES IN LINE!

Seriously thought it's badass power armor. I wonder if someone finally convinced CR that blocking your FOV is retarded or if your view is even more limited when that shield comes down?

gotta respect them for sticking to the "boring generic sci-fi bullshit" motif, it's the only thing that's been completely consistent throughout this hellride

also lol at the whales finally trashing the whaling fleet

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

that armour isn't going to immersive unless there's an unskippable 30 minute animation of you putting it on with the help of a crewman paid 10 cents per hour to play a repetitive "squire" minigame

E: I don't even understand how it's possible to mess up space armour, it's just regular medieval armour with LEDs or logos on it most of the time

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

about space armour again and I apologise for inflicting one of my drawings on this thread but this is how I think the stuff should look roughly

No problem with a blast visor ora hard helmet because you have to protect that noggin, but you're mostly going to want to keep decent visibility except in an emergency. The suit is soft because the last thing you want is bits of shrapnel whizzing around your space ship every time you clip through a door, and so that you can sit down at the controls of a plane without having to take it off. also unless people are throwing swords at you in space you probably want your armour to absorb or reflect impacts - so if you're fighting laser dudes make it out of a shiny material or otherwise stuff it with kevlar, i don't know or care. If you want hard plating you could velcro/tie/zip it on or use a personal shield since it's the future.

Anyway it would have been easy to do literally anything more interesting than what they went with is my point.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Berious posted:

You need at least titan X in SLI before you can have a valid opinion on Chris' opus.

if you're not spending thousands on your rig to go with the thousands you're spending on jpegs then I don't know what to tell you

this is a work of art that we will be immersed in for the next ten years at least, show some commitment

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

of course it's only worth $1, it's a small metal card

As shabby as that is, $1 value for every $1000 spent is the best return on investment any whale's going to get out of SC

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Young Freud posted:

I wasn't really talking about the coating. In the Halo game, the EVA helmet has a reputation of being a sniper magnet because of the gold coating. One of the things I was trying to point out is that, it's the future, you can make a visor that's going to be as transparent as glass but durable as the rest of the helmet.

I wanted to get with that earlier when we were talking about Star Marine. CRob is adamant about that holo-emitter being a real gamechanger, since he brought it up in that "COD killer" article as well as in the last Star Marine demo. The thing is that we've had stuff like that in games like Duke Nukem 3D before and you can see stuff similar in theory to it in games like Counter-Strike and Team Fortress 2 when players make decoy sprays of Spies and Snipers. poo poo, it looks like Halo 3 has had hologram drops. It's not that big of a deal

You could make no helmet at all and have the dude's head encased in an energy shield, the main thing is to make it look cool and not completely stupid. I like cheesy stuff but even if you wanted to be completely serious about it you could make literally anything work instead of making lame and bad space marine/dead space armour for the millionth time

christ the journeyman project II jumpsuit works better as heavy space armour than whatever that abomination is supposed to be

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Avalanche posted:

How is Dick Cheney still loving alive?

he's a lich, hth

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i remember going into the vents in Space Assassin, which was a fighting fantasy gamebook from 1985

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Someone mentioned power armor?
Sorry, those are undergarments.
For fags.

This is power armor:

god drat space marines look ridiculous in the buff, no wonder they wander around in hundreds of kilos of armour

e: I'm the filthy loincloth that functions both as underwear and outerwear

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Yolomon Wayne posted:

you think thats bad?

ugh

fwiw here's how i'd approach power armour:

The helmet is clear and allows you to move your whole head around to look about the place. The armour itself is some tough fabric material maybe with ceramic inserts or something over a frame that lets the wearer carry heavier stuff (you can see bits of this poking out under the hands and the back of and under the feet. There's a targeter built in on the shoulder so you don't have to aim down the barrel to hit things, it has a fly so you can take a piss and it has lots of straps so you can carry stuff or do space things. The valves and tubes are so your assistants can reload your weapons/power your suit/chill your tang/ recycle your urine. It has a jet pack so you can float real good in space. Again it'd be mostly silver (or white) to weaken laser beams or whatever is being fired at you.

Here is some generic sci fi armour i made a while ago

Silver metallic armour to deflect shots, the bulky pantaloons are stuffed with space silk or some other BS to absorb impacts and make it slightly harder to target the limbs. Probably could use a helmet and something over the chest because that's where you're gonna get shot but it's alien fashion, what are ya gonna do

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

WLMortis posted:

I bought Euro Truck Simulator 2 and both of the map expansions for it thanks to this thread.

I'm really enjoying it so far, and now I'm worried that I might be autistic. :spergin:

don't feel bad, my kid has developed an unhealthy fascination with trains so I've spent hours getting good at Train Simulator 2016 lately :siren::spergin::siren:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

happyhippy posted:

I am shocked, nay GOBSMACKED, that they haven't rendered 32 working teeth.
I demand a full set of incisors, bicupsids, and molars, ortherwise it will ruin my immersion.

How can there be a star citizen dental service without fully modeled tooth decay mechanics and a tooth-filling mini game that outclasses real dentistry?

the dentist class is just going to be a space marine with a tooth decal patched on the shoulder isn't it :(

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

ZenMaster posted:

Wow, smiles, laughter, fun and not hollow empty soulless wide eyed terror.

yeah they actually look like they're having fun

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

iron buns posted:

Why go with a power armor at all when you could go with an awesome space mecha? None of those soft and easily shot parts, plenty of pew pew and dakka.

eh sometimes you gotta fit down a corridor and it's a hassle to get a gundam down there

or maybe you're broke or you're too cheap to buy your guys the good stuff

i dunno

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Young Freud posted:

It's possible to do both...
Masamune Shirow's power armor, including the Landmate from Appleseed.

Kow Yokoyama's Maschinenkrieger ZbV 3000...

Studio Nue "Powered Suit" a.k.a. the thing they made before they got the license to do a Starship Troopers anime...

Most of these are about as armored as an IFV and mostly under 3 meters tall. The Maschinenkrieger and Studio Nue stuff was made to be space-borne as well as ground combat.

that stuff sort of reminds me of the power armour from The Forever War:

but I was raised on Terminators and the Brotherhood of Steel so I like me some armoured suits.

E: but not the sq42 ones because those are sad and lame

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Yolomon Wayne posted:

An unaltered official GW-miniature:

I used to have a Slaanesh marine army, it ruled

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

aleksendr posted:

Gosh darn those ships are so sleek i nearly want to lick them.

sorry but if I can't see the wingus piloting those birds I'm not immersed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

these guys got no game

i've said this a lot about SC design lately but holy poo poo this is worthless. it's meant to be a scout ship, so to me that says big sensor dishes, huge fuel tanks, maybe a ramscoop, some small pew pew guns and a crew or one or two wrapped up in a utilitarian but sturdy frame (you never know what's out there, right?). instead it's a jagged mess of fragile-looking bullshit, dominated by two huge lasers and carrying half a platoon of mini-hitlers. It inspires boredom and hate. I hate it and I want to go to sleep, and I don't even care about this game.

• Locked thread