Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

MeLKoR posted:

A pedo mod got 7 days probation. Chris knew

There is always more and it is always worse.
I want you to know I upvote any reply or comment you make on Reddit, Melkor. Keep fighting the good fight, man- I can't imagine where you find the patience for enduring that much shiite...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

If I was Chris' composer, I would first make a version of the song that I was sincerely satisfied with.

Then I would swap a couple instruments, mute a couple others and compress it to a 64kbit/s mp3 file

I would then play it to him and for my second, third and twelfth rewrites I would simply undo a few of my shitifications

I would have to work like max 40 min/day and could spend the rest of my time in this thread

Does anybody remember the story about why Star Citizen's first composer left?

I remember - a thread or two back - when there was briefly some thread chatter because THAT composer had made a comment on social media about working with egomaniacs or something like that. The comment was clearly a reference to Chris-- who had apparently been very frustrating to deal with.

It seems like this was around the time of all TheEscapist article fallout. And in light of this newer composer's comments, seems worth revisiting. I just can't remember enough of the specifics to know how to find it...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

THANK YOU for that, Fuctifino. That was what I was looking for.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Did this ever get much discussion?

History doesn't repeat- it rhymes (and can't stop waving it's hands and saying "immersion".)

(Chris has a second discussion here.)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Berious posted:

Is that BF4? I've been looking for a shooty mans game and that looks quite fun.
Battlefield 4 is an absolute masterpiece of multiplayer mayhem and is probably the best $100 I've ever spent on a game with expansions. It was crap at launch due to server stability issues and whatnot, but it is now one of the single greatest multiplayer gaming experiences of the latest 10 years.

When Chris Roberts said that Star Citizen / Star Marine would be "as good or better" than the best multiplayer FPS games out there, that was when I KNEW he was completely and utterly deluded and insane.

I just grabbed this clip at random. On the one hand, it's amazing-- a guy is in a helicopter, piloted by a friend, and he turns and fires off a missile at an approaching jet-- which he hits right as it is about to collide with them.

On the other hand, it's commonplace. This crap happens thousands of times a day and this isn't even the kind of thing that really dazzles a longtime player.

Here's another example.

Guy puts a bunch of C4 on his jet ski. Rides it up a ramp, leaps off, and when it lands near an approaching enemy tank, he triggers the C4 and blows the crap up.

What is totally commonplace and unremarkable for Battlefield 4 will not, with $500M and 10 years to develop, be created by Chris Roberts. 64 player battles with multiplayer vehicles, destructible environments, squad coordination, and countless opportunities for some of the funniest in-game griefing and most epic kills you can imagine.

No matter how much money he's given, Chris Roberts could never bring such a game to existence. That he suggested it's part of his "to do" list for Star Marine shows you how completely out of touch he is with his own game, and with the industry at large.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

I don't watch that tripe. What position is that in the video?
I think you might want to watch this particular video, Derek.

On the one hand, it's so boring at times that Ben is actually falling asleep. On the other hand, there are several moments throughout when Sean says things that suggest some concerns. They're all in the second half.

TRACY: "Star Citizen will be done. Someday. Someday."

Awkward pause.

LANDO: "Hopefully."

---

Another interesting moment takes place at 55:25.

TRACY: "Yeah. I understand that we're getting a lot of crowdfunding money, and it's going well. But not THAT well. And there is a waste."

Sleepy Ben wakes up and offers a weird smile to the camera at that point.

---

A bit later.

TRACY: "Now, I don't want to go too deep-- because I don't want to say something wrong and be like called back and quoted."

LANDO: "We're already going to be called back and quoted."

(Looks like you were right, Lando- first time for everything...)

---

Tracy seems like a likable, honest guy. I hope that doesn't mark him for removal from CIG LA. He's definitely going to have to learn to guard his disclosures like a good LA employee once he relocates.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 31, 2015

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Berious posted:

You've convinced me to put up with Origin and buy this shooty mans game. If I buy the premium version do I get all the DLC?
Yeah. Plus they've added some free new DLC- old Battlefield 3 maps and "Night Maps" of existing maps in BF4. It's now like $40-- for a game that can provide hundreds of hours of laughter, amazement, and outright delight.

FWIW- I don't play Call of Duty games. Too arcady. The vehicular combat, squad coordination, and scale of environments makes Battlefield a far more strategic shooter. You'll spend the first couple of weeks agape at just how bloody epic the whole thing is- and then spend the rest of your hours laughing your rear end off and having a blast. (Unless you're protective of your K/D ratio...)

Though I have a pretty killer PC rig, I'd recommend playing it on the PS4 (if you've got one). Battlefield through Origin IS a pain in the rear end on PC; the multiplayer management on Playstation is a lot less hassle.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

SabinBlitz posted:

Holy poo poo. If Sandi finds out he's even remotely saying negative things he's going to get the axe. Which is sad. He made Mechwarrior Living Legends which is superior in every way to MWO. It's just too bad it never got as popular and that "supposedly" PGI put some legal pressure on them since they own the IP right now.

Man. I miss MW:LL.
I don't think Tracy crossed the line here- but I'm sure that he got pulled aside after and told he needs to guard his tongue.

The Austin guys in general seem more open about the struggles of the studio, whereas the Californians are all "Everything is Awesome" despite the fact that it's obvious not.

In a way, it's the difference between Wingman's way of communicating to fans (openly, jokingly) vs. Chris and Sandi's ("stay faithful until death" / "dreams happen now" / "we're creating the BDSSE", "Progress continues unabated-- look at this video of upcoming features (we might never include in the game)", etc.)

Meanwhile, the Brits are keeping calm and carrying on, while their cries for help limited to sticky notes pasted on their monitors.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Forgive me for asking, but is this character in the background the character Sandi is playing in the game? Or is this from some other game?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Madcosby posted:

So has there been any new info about Full Burn?

Last I heard they claimed it's a song that ended up on a server accidentally and, even though its lyrics are all about Star Citizen, and the fact that there's no history of the song's existence prior to Star Citizen, that they didnt waste money on it and let Roberts write the lyrics?
My theory is Sandi wrote the lyrics - and they're largely aimed at Chris. She strikes me as having the hubris to fancy herself a gifted lyricist even while stringing together terrible cliches.

It's taking coded potshots at competitors ("winner takes all"), talking about their cash spend ("Full Burn"), reminding him they're on the hook to deliver this turkey ("one try that's all we've got, we're locked in so take your shot"), and their ultimate need to get profitable ("going into the black and there's no turning back"). Plus there's a very insightful comment ("the only truth in this verse is you and me")-- which describes their absolute dictatorial control over CIG and all things Star Citizen.

And of course there's some lovey-dovey lyrics in there too ("we're two minds with just one heart.") That doesn't seem like it's describing the bond between a pilot and his wingman, does it?

I'm semi-serious here.

quote:

The lights are blinding now
You whisper without a sound
lost from the world, nobody knew
we've got to run, find our way through

One try thats all we've got
we're locked in, take your shot
At first in the fray, hold tight and seize the day
We can fly

Refrain:

Full Burn
kicking it to overdrive
Full Burn
Soon I'll be by your side
and you'll see
that the only truth in this 'verse is you and me

2nd Stanza

Though(?) we're always far apart
we are two minds with just one heart
living close on the edge, we tumble from the ledge
but we can fly...

Refrain:

Full Burn
kicking it to overdrive
Full Burn
Soon I'll be by your side
and you'll see
that the only truth in this 'verse is you and me

3rd Stanza

Winner takes all
hear the call
going into the black and there's no turning back

Refrain ad nauseum.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

1500 posted:

Your post, also convened me to pick it up.  Its currently on sale for $19.99.
Feel the rush!

I'll caution you-- prepare to get killed a lot at the lower levels. It takes quite a while to really get a feel for the sometimes huge battle maps and to unlock the weapon attachments that help up your firepower. Learn to communicate with Squadmates (you don't have to via voice if you don't want to)-- because you'll earn XP faster and it makes the game far more exciting when you can coordinate efforts with others.

It was very much worth the $100 I spent -- still playing it years later. At $20, it's an embarrassment of riches.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Sillybones posted:

That looks awesome. What version do I exactly purchase so that I have all the current maps and such? It is a little confusing for my dumb brain.
Battlefield 4 Premium.

Here's more Epic Moments (picked at random) and Hilarious Moments. (watch the guy 1:30 in-- he blows up a tank, is teabagging the tank with a squadmate, then hears something...) I picked that video at random too but it only took a minute before I was cracking up.

It's a testament to the richness of the gameplay experience that the highlight videos themselves are plentiful and fun to watch. Star Citizen videos are funny only in the trainwreck way.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

2016 is the year we will get to see Sandi's performance in SQ42. Will she be a Manic Pixie Dream Girl or just another battle-hardened army stereotype like Mark Hamill, but female this time? Either way, the hype is real.
Was not expecting that punchline-- did laugh. I honestly can't wait to see what sort of role she's playing.

Happy New Year, gents (and ladies, in much smaller numbers)!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Dusty Lens posted:

Or just merge all of the Star Citizen threads together. The 18000 page anthology will be critical reading for future generations.
A compendium (sans the truly worthless posts) would be an amazing read. When I try to explain to friends why this whole story is so fascinating, infuriating, hilarious and sad, this thread (and the ones before it) have been really useful.

The tragicomedy-- once people understand enough of the details / characters -- is irresistible. In lieu of a documentary, a thread compendium would still be pretty great reading. I know I would buy a few.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

If chris roberts made tetris it would have 10 hours of FMV in it and the blocks would be motion capped
He would make it with polyhedrons not polygons and you'd never get a solid row because rhombic triacontahedrons and great cubicuboctahedrons just can't fit together.

He'd be the last to realize his fatal mistake since he fired anybody who questioned his genius and never play tested it himself.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Star Citizen can not be made VR-Friendly without a wholesale purging of so many idiotic flourishes that Chris Roberts imposed on the game for immersion's sake.

It's not just all the violently animated, 10 second "let's get into (or out of) your pilot's seat!" scenes that will have to change. Not just the getting out of bed after every death and respawn animations. The twitchy flight mechanic itself might need further work.

Will there need to be VR-friendly cockpit redesigns? A purge of all the immersive clutter obscuring your view of space? That's going to get real old real fast in VR. And what about the G-Force blackouts- what's THAT going to feel like in VR?

Think it'll hit a stable 90+ fps anytime soon? Of course not. What will the minimum cpu/gpu requirements look like? There are players with VR ready PCs who can't get 20 fps in Olisar.

Citizens need to prepare for a humbling reality. Eve:Valkyrie, Elite, and No Man's Sky are going to be the first generation consumer VR titles. Those titles (and a few others like Descent) are going to give hundreds of thousands of people the real sensation of piloting spaceships in fantastic, immersive "first person universes". They are going to blow minds and create gaming memories that last a lifetime while the "Best drat Space Sim Ever" is going to have to sit it all out.

So start working on your excuses and rationales now. "Star Citizen is too GOOD for VR!" sounds about right.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Alexis told us on Reverse the Verse that the true intent of (Sandi's) phrase was "faithful until we pass away". And Sandi told us at CitizenCon (and in that recent interview with those two dudes) that this game was giving truly meaningful interpersonal experiences - unlike Elite and other wannabe BDSSEs.

It's a religion- not a game.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

EightAce posted:

This isn't a scam:
It's been appallingly managed by a totally out of touch wanker and his harriden of a wife, but not a scam.

The scammy looking money grabs are a desperate attempt to keep the dream alive as they really are almost out of cash.

I have it on good authority that certain people have been looked after up front via the dodgy ' sell back shares to CIG ' manouver.

Others, dev staff,who left other more solid employment to join this train wreck on promised yearly bonuses have recently been told the bonuses are now discretionary ! And many have received a laughable amount if anything.

It is simply a man who has totally lost control and is far to arrogant or knowledgable to initiate a fix.

The game will not come out , I know this. I have seen behind the curtain
Since you know people at CIG, I trust that this might really be true. And if so...

:vince:

If it shines further light into the bizarre pathologies of the harridan, it could help us all make retroactive sense of a lot of the madness and heartache she's been responsible for over the last several years...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 2, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

EightAce posted:

I have it on good authority that certain people have been looked after up front via the dodgy ' sell back shares to CIG '

The game will not come out , I know this. I have seen behind the curtain
This begs a lot of questions-- and hopefully Bootcha will weigh in. (I can understand if neither of you can or might want to answer..)

It sounds like you are saying certain insider shareholders have been cashed out at a premium. Yet was backer money used for these transactions, or has a third party bought in so that insiders may be bought out?

Bootcha was made whole on his investment-- but it doesn't sound like he profited financially beyond some exit price agreed upon prior to the crowdfunding explosion. That seems appropriate and fair.

Yet if certain insiders are being allowed to greatly profit-- if their shares are being taken out at some multiple of a buy-in price, then how is the enterprise being valued? It appears to be a company with precious little in true revenues and one with a metric crap ton of liabilities.

If the company truly is approaching their long predicted implosion-- then it seems like we'd see a whale-backed class action lawsuit. These cash out transactions are likely to be subject to scrutiny and would, in my uninformed opinion, be deemed fraudulent and subject to clawback.

This all makes Sandi's recent comments-- echoed in refund denial letters-- that CIG has delivered a substantial part of the promised game pretty telling. Taken alongside Sandi's earlier comments about her eagerness to re-pursue her acting dream because "I never really got a shot at it"-- well, it paints a provocative picture. A bit like that of a stewardess putting on her parachute at 30,000 feet while she keeps taking drink orders from the drunkards in first class.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

EightAce thanks for the clarification.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 2, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

stinch posted:

Could be it all ends up in a way most would say is morally wrong let no laws were broken.
Star Citizen: Morally wrong, yet no laws were broken.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

EightAce posted:

The dev staff lower down the food chain will have been offered bonus incentives, based on yearly take home pay. Money running out ? Sandi need a holiday ? Backers requesting refunds ? Need to tighten the belt ? .... Well gently caress em. The necessary dollars can come from their promised yearly bonus and what are they going to do ? Return to their previous employer ? Dare to bad mouth industry legend Chris Roberts.....

So Sandi DOES take holidays then? Because she's on the record claiming she's never taken a holiday- though she has many of them lined up. Exotic sailing trips, racing excursions with the former head mechanic of Ferrari, and other sorts of adventures worthy of her.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Well, refund request sent, gently caress this noise.

Hey Peter, did anything come of your totally reasonably worded refund request?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Thanks to GORF I bought Battlefield 4 the other night, I am glad as well, it;s a really cool game.
I am working through the campaign at the moment, it's good.
I skipped the campaign entirely-- but it seems like it would be good way to learn the basics (weapons, bindings, interfaces, etc.)

Multiplayer is the real miracle-- let me know what you think once you check it out, Peter!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Ap0calyps3 posted:

Pardon me if I don't take you for an authority on anything Derek. They actually had VR working for a while in earlier builds with a DK1.
Are you talking Arena Commander VR? If so that doesn't seem like much work (tho I would assume the turrets in space flight model would've been a little hard to endure after awhile.)

There's no way it's going to work in 2.0 build, mate. Chris has doomed VR hopes for that and it amazes me this fact eludes the enthusiasts who are playing it.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Chickenfrogman posted:

CIG deserves to burn to the loving ground.
Seems like it's doing so - in slow motion, so we can really savor every minute.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

You can't just do those scenes where Gary Oldman is making a rousing speech, you cannot have camera pans like that, you'll throw up.
I almost threw up just watching it in 2D. I bet the VR version would induce a sea cucumber blowout ...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

Chris will never get rid of those animations. He's made the word "immersion" one of his cult trigger words, and even gone as far as redefining exactly what "immersion" means so that his sect identifies the term with those unnecessary animations.
"In order to save the immersion, we had to destroy it."
General Chris Roberts.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

BadNewsBaron wants to show off Star Citizen at PAX South...

... but wants to do it in single player mode because of the expense of connectivity...

CIG really ought to hook him up. What could possibly go wrong?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

BMan posted:

Elite could really use this feature actually...
I've seen it done before- and it looked badass.

I can't find the Reddit post where a guy showed it off-- but he had a video of a Braben / Ed Lewis stream playing in a mini window inside his cockpit. It was really clean and slick looking while remaining unobtrusive.

It was done via some third party app-- but Frontier really should embed the feature in the game, given how much idle time we have travelling between systems and whatnot.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

That's hilarious!

The only thing that really seems fun right now is the demolition derby -- but drat, it does look like a blast.

Do you have a YouTube link for that clip?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Danke!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

G0RF fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 2, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

Chris Roberts is a visionary. Squadron 42 will be released this year, and it will be a shot for shot remake of "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream" except all of the characters will be spaceships with the face of Sandi, a la Thomas the Tank Engine.

Now imagine this has been shot from 150 angles...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Please forgive me a bit of a rambling effort post, folks. I'm going to belabor the obvious, for the sake of CIG people or Redditors who visit here.

2016 - THE SPACE GAME RACE IS HERE

2016 is likely to be the biggest year in Space Games in decades. The triumphant return of Star Wars to cultural dominance couldn't be better timed-- because so many exciting Space Games/Sims are on right on the verge of release, and many of them have been built to support the also-arriving-this-year first generation of consumer Virtual Reality headsets.

Yet ironically, the space game everyone has heard the most about -- the "immersive", "high fidelity" Star Citizen -- is unlikely to see release in 2016 (with the possible exception of Squadron 42: Part 1). It seems even less likely that the game will support VR whenever it does launch- despite having promised it- due to VR-unfriendly design decisions and incredibly slow frame rates (even on exceptionally powerful PC builds). Any GameDev who plans to add "VR Support" as an afterthought is fooling themselves-- and none more than Chris Roberts, whose very fingerprints are all over so many of the idiotic, un-VR friendly design decisions of the game.

Consider what titles are right around the corner now, and how each threatens to steal some of Star Citizen's thunder.

---

Eve: Valkyrie is going to be a superior Arcade-Style cockpit combat game-- built for VR-- and it's free with every Oculus Rift soon to be sold. The menu systems, interfaces, head-control-- all of it has been tested and fine tuned so that you can slip on your headset and play for hours without having to pull it off to touch your keyboard or mouse. Listen to this recent review and picture Chris Roberts' mortal terror as he screams at his dev team, "STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING! WE'RE FAST TRACKING VR NOW!"

For owners of Oculus Rifts-- Eve:Valkyrie will be their go-to "YOU'VE GOT TO CHECK THIS OUT!" title to evangelize VR and space pew-pew to friends. (Arena Commander is going to suffer by comparison- if anyone bothers to play it anymore.)

BY THE WAY: Oculus Rift Pre-Order Countdown Timer. Less than 2 days!

---

No Man's Sky is going to be a Arcade-Style procedurally generated first person galaxy exploration game -- built for VR -- and it's rumored that it will be bundled with Sony's VR headset. It's likely to be shallow and vast, like a simplified, day-glow version of Elite with FPS / crafting aspects / exploration / space pew pew. It's probably skewed towards younger gamers - but who cares? It's probably going to move a crap ton of units, being bundled with Sony's HMD... It, too, is likely to be a "YOU'VE GOT TO CHECK THIS OUT!" game-- and for younger players, it's going to create a gaming memory that will last a lifetime- like Wing Commander did decades ago. (Sorry Chris).

---

Elite is adding the multi-crew experience in the upcoming months-- and it will at least offer more for co-pilots to do than Star Citizen has managed-- built for VR. If Frontier actually gives gunners / co-pilots / whoever actually interesting or vital things to do-- things that could advantage a multi-crew ship in combat, exploration, etc., then this cut might actually be prove a deep one. Elegant VR integration within the menu system is a given here, too.

Elite remains a game that is far easier to respect than truly love- but the grand potential is so obvious, and they have a far easier development path to creating the BDSSE than Star Citizen does. (Sorry, spergs, but it's true.) Elite in VR is, by all accounts, profoundly more immersive-- so much so that most players consider it an entirely different gameplay experience. And Elite is going to have this distinct advantage over Star Citizen for all of 2016 and possibly forever-- as CIG's Road to VR looks about as easy as a walk up Mount Thor.

---

Mass Effect: Andromeda will surely be a better-written, multithreaded single-player Sci-Fi shooter campaign than Squadron 42. No, it's not likely to have cockpit combat-- but what it will have will be a solid FPS that accommodates a variety of playing styles, potentially a return of weapon-modding / crafting elements from ME:1, beautifully designed cities/planets/spaceships/aliens, LOTs of player agency, planetary exploration with an improved Mako, enormous scale, lots of laughs, drama, rich companion characters, great voice work, etc. etc. etc...) Bioware is trying to redeem and reboot the franchise here-- and if Dragon Age: Inquisition is any indication, they will cram a TON of content into the first game. As someone who loved the Mako/planetary exploration in game 1, the prospects of an improved version in MA:E has me incredibly excited.

I expect the casual gamer will at least get a 30 hour campaign here-- and for completionists like me, I'd not be surprised to see 60-80. Will Squadron 42, Part 1, offer similar bang-for-buck? I highly doubt it. Even if we are forced to watch 3 hours of cutscenes per game, I'm personally expecting a 15 game with not a lot of replay potential... So, here too, I believe ME:A will deliver more value, and richer gameplay, than SQ:42.

---

I could go on and on-- in fact originally I had Infinity Battlescape and Angels Fall First and even Xcom 2 stuff in here too (but too many animated gifs!), but I guess my main point is that Star Citizen has promised to be all-things-to-all-space-gamers for several years, and has made a fortune selling the dream that the Explorer's experience in Star Citizen will be every bit as rich, unique and exciting as the Smuggler's, the Pirate's, the Space Botantist's, or the Stewardess... Yet it's going to get harder to sell the dream as more and more parties start delivering them.

Things have been pretty easy so far for CIG with Elite as their only competition. They create gameplay videos for upcoming features that either Elite doesn't have-- or Elite can't do as beautifully in game-- and convince the fanbase (and the gaming press) that "Star Citizen is the best space game ever!" Despite the fact that Elite is PLAYABLE NOW-- with 10x as many features-- and for $60. Despite the fact that Star Citizen in its current state is delivering moments like this:

TL:DR
The marketplace that barely existed when Star Citizen kicked off their crowdfunding campaign is about to crowded with great IP, much of it VR friendly and truly IMMERSIVE-- while Star Citizen keeps promising the world Soon™ and spergs keep throwing this thing out as an excuse. These new space games are likely to deliver superior gameplay experiences in their respective niches. Unlike Star Citizen, many of them are VR-Native and thus delivering a kind of visceral experiential thrill that simply CAN NOT BE REPLICATED ON A FLAT SCREEN NO MATTER HOW MUCH FIDELITY YOU THROW AT IT. A lot of ink will be spilled about these titles-- and "immersive" is going to be stolen back from Chris Roberts and conferred upon titles that actually deliver upon that promise.

Where will Star Citizen be when the Space Game Race truly begins? If past is prologue, they'll be missing more deadlines, releasing buggy updates, pumping out more crappy marketing videos, and sitting out the very race they were favored by all to win.

(Sorry to ramble and sorrier still if the post bored anyone.)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Excellent post, however this is not helping me get excited for Star Citizen at all!
You, Peter, are helping ME get excited about Star Citizen with videos like this.

Star Citizen is a giant messy pile of sheeeyit, but if you can keep using it to make videos like that, I will consider it a success.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

Yes but Star Citizen is pushing boundaries nobody else has. Chris said it.
Checkmate. Chris wins.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Expect a "nice try troll/goon" reply any second. Downvoting to oblivion in minutes after.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Berious posted:

Thanks chris for saving pc gaming after all! I want to get excited for vr but i can't help but feel it'll be an awesome gimmick that gets tiresome as gently caress the longer you use it. A bit like force feedback joysticks or something. Great tradeshow experience but if you're settling in for a night of gaming and the 'dew you'll be sweaty and neck sore after an hour or so.

This POV comes from complete ignorance though, I haven't tried one. But I'm buying a fancy 144hz ips gsync monitor this year for my manchild cave rather than an rift
I have the ROG 144 -- and it's a great monitor for gaming. But for Elite-- I'd much rather feel like I was in the cockpit than watching it on a flat screen. I envy the sense of awe and scale that VR players experience, to say nothing of the competitive advantages. Track IR works alright but I'd rather have a 1-to-1 scale of motion when following other ships.

But if I had to pick one or the other if I'd stick with the monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

HapiMerchant posted:

i too want an oculus or some sort of VR rig alas my 970 is not capable of immersive space mans. I am hype for elite's multicrew, and no mans sky shallow as both will probably be.
The GTX 970 is considered Oculus-ready, according to them--

quote:

For the full Rift experience, we recommend the following system:

NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
8GB+ RAM
Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
2x USB 3.0 ports
Windows 7 SP1 or newer
Where do you fall short?

• Locked thread