Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

... it means that 9.9 million people backed at the $35 level...

That is a lot more backers than I was expecting, and Star Citizen is up to a third of a billion dollars!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Wafflz posted:

Spinal Tap's Marshalls?

How much blacker can the 'verse get?

None.

None more black.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Safetyland posted:

What about Everyone Loves Everyone

Everyone Loves Eonwe

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

SquirrelGrip posted:

id like to buy another hint please

I was going to Google for hint.jpg and try and make something funny about buying jpegs but then :effort:.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Palisader posted:

Thread's been real testy recently :(

Post Threethousand Stress Disorder.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

CrazyTolradi posted:

Wow, Ben bringing it up again sure just looks petty and unprofessional. Also, who the gently caress let Lando have access to that?

If I recall correctly, it was a URL on a Dev's monitor during an interview or something like that, that was actually publicly accessible.

Lands saw the link, tried it, downloaded and showed everyone the contents.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Dark Off posted:

I think the discussion is going too far now. We have no certainty what it meant in that chat. He might had already forgotten what he had said during teen years.
and the context doesn't look that bad if you include earlier quotes.

[18:44] <Byydo> it's crazy though, LOAF's little sister is like 5 years old and wearing a paper crown thing she made after watching Sailor Moon
[18:44] <LOAF> Hehehehehe
[18:44] <LOAF> She's 18 now
[18:44] <Byydo> and then the next thing I hear is that she's in college
[18:44] <LOAF> And in college
[18:44] <music_guru> you know, "Wing Commander: Star Craft" - lol
[18:45] <Byydo> and I'm like "drat, that kid is SMART"

Derek Smart is really Ben's younger sister?

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Risc1911 posted:

So the whole Quantum Drive presentation was hype and fidelity that is now not actually in the game?

Original Hype Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn5FBGfXACM

Reality: 18:03 - Q: Will the quantum drive be steerable?

The original hype video shows a Jump Point (between star systems), and the Quantum Drive is high speed travel within a star system.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Goobs posted:

so it's the FSD from E:D? seen

Basically, yes: QD = FSD.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

hakimashou posted:

page 4444 was hit on the 4th of july makes u think

May the fours be with you.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Colostomy Bag posted:

Interesting list. So they are doing a 850 jump or something. Preying on wanna be whales for a small lux space cruiser.

Not sure what the superlative is for "blatant cash grab" but this shitheap is approaching new levels of complete sleaziness.

So many smoking guns creating so much haze it is hard to zero in on any of it anymore. loving incredible.

No, the 85x is the small fighter/racer that comes with the 600 JUMP. Similar to the Merlin that comes with the Constellation.

It's already been sold, but I guess it will probably be sold again.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress
Was sold as part of the 600 JUMP.

They could do an LTI sale on just the snub fighter, it hasn't been sold on its own before.

I would expect more smaller LTI sales for a number of reasons:

Further kill off the grey market,
Low barrier to incentivise existing or new users to increase their pledges (it's only wafer thin),
Even encouraging ship churn via store credit forces agreement to the new ToS at checkout, so it's another way to get positive confirmation of acceptance of the new ToS for the existing userbase and reduces their legal and refund exposure.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Fat Shat Sings posted:

That dragonfly sale worked, relatively speaking. They have been having anemic sales since people realize they've been buying a never ending stream of concepts, but selling cheap LTI tokens for all the concepts everyone else has already bought generated a better than usual sale.

Question is if they had to transition to a gimmick LTI token sale to generate cash, how many times can they do that before those sales don't work anymore, and by extension how much money is out there for them to get if more and more people are getting disillusioned every day?

Once people have several cheap LTI tokens, they can offer everything that has previously been sold again during a special sale (Citizencon, Crowdfunding anniversary, etc), and everyone can get the ship of their dreams with LTI by buying a cross chassis upgrade for their LTI token ship.

Those that may not be willing to buy a $300+ ship with 2/3/4 year insurance, may be willing to spend $270+ to upgrade a $30 LTI token to get the same ship with LTI.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Colostomy Bag posted:

Agreed. Hell, I'm impressed you were able to parse that poo poo off of some whiteboard. Usually they have pictures of poo.

I can't take any credit for the whiteboard info, I just happened to know what the 85x was.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Tank Boy Ken posted:

If SC still has 100 ultra whales. They might be tempted to sell 100 Bagel Carrier for 10k each. Keep in mind: There is always more (stupidity) - and it's always worse. That's not P2W. No Sir, since it will never make it into the game.

The challenge with that is it goes against established information (not that a change is out of the question), which is that a Destroyer (such as the Javelin which has been sold) is the largest ship that is not persistent (i.e. it disappears from the universe when the player is logged out).

Persistent ships are always in the universe, so if you don't have a guild with some members online 24/7 to defend it, then someone else can waltz in and steal it. They also cannot be insured at all.

No one is going to spend lots of money on a ship that they can lose so easily.

So, either the larger ships will not be sold, or the existing information will have to be revisited.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Yeah. So if they sell it, it would naturally come with LTI. And be able to dock safely. I mean the other stuff is from before they actually worked on some mechanics. Considering the scope change, they had to refactor their insurance and persistence pipelines. The Bagel won't disappear when the player logs out, it just be in a quantum state (and thus unattackable), or some other bullshit.

"Just" selling a 100 Bagels will net them 1 million. It's just a question wether they have anyone left in their community with enough money (or the option to mortgage even more) to afford an "investment" of 10k $ into a single 3d model.

Or, they will sell them all to existing backers who convert their current pledges to store credit to buy, and they make nothing.

Their best chance to monetise new and existing backers is to keep the delta small, and to continue to convert x year insurance ships to LTI based on tokens and upgrades, along with the established price rises as time goes on.

So if a backer has a $200 ship that has 3 year insurance, and that ship goes on sale again for $240, along with or shortly after a $30 LTI token sale, then the original ship can be effectively converted to LTI for an additional $40. Squeezing out incremental upgrades like this won't net them a huge sale profit, but will continue the influx of cash to an extent.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

boviscopophobic posted:

I haven't found a store that imports it to the US (assuming that's where you are). If you have iOS, please check if the magazine is available in the app store and report back. The app you're looking for is Level, by Reset Media. The issue we need is 018.

I assume it is only in Swedish?

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Streetroller posted:

Ok, so after a while of dealing with Cloud Imperium Games, I have finally received a refund of $3000 USD.

After the terms of service change, I contacted CIG and requested a full refund.

Congratulations fellow refund buddy.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Republicanus posted:

Ok, I've watched more than enough from Moma.

Moma, back about 20 years ago when I was in my mid thirties, I got my accounting degree before being hired to help design a niche accounting system (software). Studied for 18 months for the CPA test, but couldn't afford it until later when it required another 9 credit hours beyond my bachelors. I tell you this because you are a silly posturing oval office and there's no way you're an accountant or ever will be.

You are as sharp as a wet sack of hamsters (and I'm being loving gracious). You are not funny, informative, reasonable, logical, or honest. So, you contribute nothing but rancid fart-like posts.

You are ridiculously, remarkably, "get this on video"-type stupid. You gave a company 4 thousand US dollars for nothing but a promise and a constantly changing set of half-baked semi-legalisms and zero deliverables. You didn't even get a bucket of snot.

Now, quit pretending to understand anything about accounting. Shut up about development until you've done thirty meetings about one single module's untrapped errors.

Only post from now on about funny poo poo like your habit of eating poop, or smearing chicken fat on windows, or googling "the" and being confused about the world being so big.

TLDR; Quit pretending you are an accountant or are studying to be one. It's revolting to those of us who are.

EDIT: PS. Look up "Process of Discovery" as it relates to lawsuits. That will answer whatever foggy, dimly felt questioning feelings you have about why CIG won't sue anyone like the Escapist.

Nice meltdown.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Some bloke in Australia just got $8k back thanks to Derek's advice.

Credit also goes to Beer, together they helped validate the concerns I was already starting to have; and then the June TOS pushed me to the point where I had to make a decision. Not that the ToS would necessarily be a blocker as Australia has pretty good consumer protection laws, but I felt that it would be a path of lesser resistance if they could not put forward any evidence of my acceptance of that updated ToS.

And it is quite liberating to be out.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

starkebn posted:

Dude it's good you got your money back but I hope you learned that spending 8k on a dream is just downright stupid

Yes. Learned that very well.

D1E posted:

Radd: if the next patch looks pretty good would you consider buying back in with a completionist package?

If the next patch meets every promise made to date, looks awesome with no major and few minor bugs, and I can get that completionist package for under $20 then sure.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Propagandist posted:

nnggghhhh the after-lunch coffee is kicking in.

I'll be real with you because you've grown a bit - MoMA, you've seen a few pages ago you can get your money back. Regardless of your belief in the game, of what Ortwin, Roberts, Blesnick, Sandi, whatever they have said. You can actually put forth just a little effort and you could have $4000 of your own loving money back. And, based on what.. gently caress how do I even say this part? Based on what.. I believe that YOU believe, if I am understanding your beliefs correctly, it won't actually realistically affect development of the video game.

Here's a perspective from someone who was heavily invested in this: I have wanted a refund for a while now. I had high hopes for the release of 2.0, which turned out to be a let down, and that hasn't been remedied by any of the updates since. However, with CIG refusing refunds, I wasn't sure if I would get one. It's bad enough when you've put a lot of money into something that you had very high hopes for, and then find out that the product as sold to you is unlikely to be delivered. But trying to fight for your money and then losing would compound that. Especially with the chilling effect of CIG's monitoring of external sites and the threat they can hold over your RSI forum account and game assets, if you try for a refund and are not successful, what other punishments will they heap upon you?

I sold down some of my "high value" jpegs in order to reduce my exposure, so I would at least limit my losses as best I could, then with the latest ToS update I figured that it's now or never, and pushed for a refund. Fortunately, Australia has good consumer protection laws and I believe that the high profile case of the ACCC (FTC equivalent) beating Valve in court setting a precedent that any business selling to Australians must honour Australian Consumer Law helped support my request. That was not the reason that was given for my refund, but I suspect that it was some of the impetus behind CIG's decision to acquiesce without a battle.

I can see why other backers may be hesitant about requesting a refund, because it could actually make their situation worse.

radd fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 14, 2016

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Streetroller posted:

It's the funniest loving thing, they don't know how to react to it.
"CIG exorcised that lil' bitch, glad he's gone, what a toxic detractor"
"StreetRoller totally loving blackmailed them and hid behind the AG and DS, what a coward!"

Which is it, jesus... They can't even get their own narrative straight.

It is both, and yet... neither.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Thoatse posted:

e: chillsnype

That is a happy catte.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Wuxi posted:

Change that to John Nettles and I'd buy the gently caress out of SQ42

Change that to John Inman (RIP) and SQ42 would be awesome.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

I keep thinking back to something Beer said a while ago.

If Squadron 42 was even 80% as good as this, and came out in 2014 - it would have been groundbreaking, amazing, awesome.
If it had come out in 2015, it still would have been a huge deal.
If it comes out this year, it needs to beat COD:IW, ME:A, NMS etc by a long way, or be lost in the noise.
If it comes out after this year and is good, then the reaction will probably "we've already seen this from the big names".

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Wizard Master posted:

Don't really know why there's 4700 pages about some stupid game........ get a life!

There isn't 4700 pages about some stupid game, because there is no game.

Clearly you don't understand thread development.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

MedicineHut posted:

Clipping and object collision lack thereof only happens to Pgabz, who is enraged by it.

If he would just stop editing his .cfg files.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress
I wonder if Chris Roberts will look at No Man's Sky, CoD:IW, Mass Effect:Andromeda, and say "Mission Accomplished, we set out to revive space games on the PC, now look at all these space games available on the PC. We have succeeded in our primary goal, stop all further development."

Perhaps demonstrating the existence of a lucrative market, combined with a public challenge to publishers, was his plan all along to get space gaming back in vogue.

And perhaps Derek is just presenting a similar challenge to CIG to motivate them to prove that he is wrong.

Nah.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Tippis posted:

Resident Apostate, if I may.

Does that make Lazrin the Resident Prostate?

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

D_Smart posted:

And even if SM came back, how does that erase the croberts lies that came before?

The fact is that if SM does come back, it goes against everything croberts has said the last time he talked about it.

Also my guess is that they will probably bring it back for two reasons

1) liability issue since it was something they promised. now that State/Fed authorities are looking up their skirt, bring it back in all its ganky glory, alleviates that issue

2) the Star Citizen PU (Persistent Universe) is utter shite. they need something fresh to keep people playing. so SM is just another disconnected half-arse module like Arena Commander and which will be a short term deflecting tactic.

A third point, and somewhat linked to the first, is that some backers used the promise of Star Marine and then its cancellation as partial justification for a refund, since this is a) well documented as a promised deliverable, and b) well documented by CIG as cancelled.

Being able to present new information that b) is in fact a delay not a cancellation, probably helps them attempt to justify refund denials.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

XK posted:

Every one keeps saying the Star Citizen downloader uses their entire bandwidth, and makes everything else unusable. How does this even happen anymore? Even saturating your bandwidth with torrents only slows things a little.

The downloader uses the Star Citizen game netcode.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress
Any PCI information would presumably be held by Amazon, PayPal or Stripe (and I think there was another EU one) as the payment processors for CIG purchases.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

alf_pogs posted:

i think youll find they are referring to dr bones from the hit aqua song "dr bones"

The hidden message from that goon plant is to "wake up now".

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Lladre posted:

If any of the items on that list are not followed then you need to comply.
They keep and receive receipts with cardholder data.

No, their payment processor (Stripe, PayPal, Amazon) sees the cardholder data, processes the payment, and provides the funds to CIG after taking a transaction fee.

CIG see names, addresses, etc - but not card information (number, expiry date, CVV).

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Time to post screenshots of their roadmaps.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

In Australia, you can't sign away or waive your consumer rights. You can choose not to exercise them, but EULAs and TOSs can't supersede them.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Sabreseven posted:

I can't read the SC reddit without getting annoyed with some of their responses, I've personally never seen such vitriol, spitefulness and anger over something as simple as someone getting a refund for a product that has not been delivered.

I personally can't wait until it all collapses, all their money, hopes, and dreams gone, goons dropping from the sky to do what goons do, wreaking havoc while loling uncontrollably, the devastation will be breathtaking. :munch:

The increase in toxicity of the community over time was a large part in my distancing myself from following Star Citizen news, and that distance allowed me to take a more critical look from outside the echo chamber, which led to me choosing to request a refund and walk away. The appalling moderation that was endorsed by CIG made for one of the most feral gaming communities I have seen, and CIG only have themselves to blame.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

oh and when did the narrative change to Derek Smart just trying to get sued so that he can be relevant or get rich or whatever? Has that been going on for awhile because it seems kinda new to me.

If Derek is trying to get sued so he can get rich, surely that implies that his arguments are correct in order to win that case and make that money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

?/?/2012: I hear about a large kickstarter success - it was an ambitious space based MMO headed by some game developer from the 90's who was not John Romero.

?/?/2012 +1: Above experience moved to subconscious memory.

7/27/16: I find out from an internet comedy forum I joined that the project has been a complete money pit, the ineffectual developer and his (sort-of-want) wife moving from one blunder to the next. They have created an international video game company whose sole purpose appears to be creating an idea for a game and meeting celebrities. They have heavily marketed and sold this idea and those celebrities to a gullible group of people with vast amounts of disposable income. So afflicted by the sunk-cost fallacy, these individuals have transformed into a rabid cult-like fan base who zealously defend the existence and glory of the imaginary game which they have been sold. They are kept complacent by a series of decent looking .jpeg images and a bad Crysis mod. These fans, with the multimillion dollar corporation that strings them along, view a comedy forum and a self-professed internet warlord (who is also not John Romero) as a existential threat because Star Citizen isn't real.

Finally, someone who understands game development.

• Locked thread