Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Scruffpuff posted:

Yeah I skipped ahead. So now the narrative is that Star Marine was never going to actually be a thing - it was basically just shorthand for the fact that there'd be FPS in the game. Well, 2.1 has FPS, so Bingo! Star Marine delivered, promises met!

I specifically remember their site having a whole section on Star Marine so I went to check it out - amazingly enough, it's gone, and that part of the site was replaced with the push for SQ42.

Have you checked the Wayback Machine? There might be a cache of the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

EightAce posted:

- I know what they are currently concentrating on , it is simply unbelievable . I cant say what it is for obvious reasons but it is up there with the farming module. talk about fiddling while Rome burns .....

Is the Showroom what you were referring to? Because it sure fits the bill.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Toops posted:

Outstanding suggestions everyone. Adding that now.

I'm also gonna add a "Bird Sanctuary" option. Is there a funnier word for "Bird Sanctuary?"

Immersive space aviary

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That poster wasn't joking, those are funeral flowers.

Wait... really? What's the difference?

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Inkel posted:

New article up on Gamespot with crobberts complaining that people don't understand game development and should stop expecting releases anytime soon. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizen-creator-wishes-hed-explained-games-de/1100-6434856/

Oh for fucks sake. Crobberts was promising a "basically done" Star Citizen at the end of 2014 back in 2013 and here we are in 2016 and there's still not even a game. There's not even a beta for Christs sake, they're still discussing basic game play mechanics and making ship models. This isn't a game getting "pushed back" this is a game that hasn't even started.

Also:

EightAce posted:

and there will. most probably be deaths connected to this

New thread title

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Apparently there's more, including potentially some Star Marine stuff.

Also can someone tell me what the patch notes say?

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/319414/2-2-0-published-to-ptu

EDIT:
- Khartu is in the hangar: http://imgur.com/a/gBOUO
- Sabre is now flyable
- EVA is "improved"
- Maps now have 24 players
- Party system "revamped"

I love how the Khartu ship-ish thing has a bubble cockpit, but you still can't see poo poo thanks to all the supports blocking everything.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

runsamok posted:

It was supposed to originally have a panoramic cockpit that looked opaque from the outside, but since CryEngine can't manage it for technical reasons, CIG turned it into the POS it is now.

This seems to be a common theme with Star Citizen.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

G0RF posted:

When the CIG peon assigned to read this thread for actionable intelligence comes across this little account, I hope you will print this, or otherwise pass the sad little story and helpful set of suggestions up to Ben, Sandi, Lando, or even Chris.

----

TO: Cloud Imperium Games
SUBJECT: The tale of Jeffrey McArthur
PRIORITY: High

An agreeable older gamer named Jeffrey McArthur tried Star Citizen's Free Flight weekend a couple of weeks ago, having no knowledge whatsoever of of this particular game. He is an avid gamer - online games, tabletop games, D&D games - he has spent decades playing them and loving them. In fact, as a younger man, he actually programmed two titles for the Atari 800; a serviceable Defender clone called Kamikaze. and sillier overhead maze runner called Icky Squishy.

These days, Jeffrey makes gaming videos that average less than 100 viewers each, and keeps doing it sheerly for the joy of it.

So he downloads Star Citizen and starts playing. He is bewildered by the key bindings, the absence of clear objectives, players crawling on their bellies around ARCcorp, ships spawning upside down in his hangar, the manual, the emptiness, and more. These are all reasonable reactions, particularly since the PC Gamer article that prompted him to try the Free Flight game never mentioned it was an Alpha.

After an understandably frustrating 45 minutes, one he took in bemused stride, he posted a video of his gaming experience, wondering humorously, "Am I too stupid to play Star Citizen?"

After posting the video, it immediately became one of his most viewed, and most down voted, videos. Of course, it would all be entirely predictable, this kind of thing happens so regularly these days. Yet this story has a surprisingly bittersweet punchline- one that is very worth your attention.

Surely, with your enormous sums and perpetual broadcasts, YOU THE COMMUNITY AND MARKETING LEADERSHIP can make greater efforts to discourage knee-jerk attacks on anyone who dares express confusion about the State of the Game. They don't have to be Stage 4 Cancer Sufferers to merit better treatment.

Nothing that this random old-school gamer said in his video was libelous, mean-spirited or unfair. In fact, he posited that maybe he was too dumb to play the game, rather than going after the failings (and they are legion) of Star Citizen as it exists today. That's a kid gloves treatment that you don't even deserve at this point, and STILL, some members of your community love little more than shooting messengers rather than listen to their bad news. (And don't pretend 'oh that's just Youtube commenters!', either. This same crap happens on Reddit and elsewhere, all the time.)

Your Game Tutorial is broken, the Alpha is bug-ridden, dull and confusing for those not willing to commit considerable efforts to the learning curve. Don't take my word for it. Take Jeffrey McArthur's. Or look at your post break-up sales collapse.

If you think your biggest enemies are trolls or goons, or your biggest problems are making sure you delete any incriminating evidence you left behind on some old video archive your backers paid for, you really aren't paying close enough attention.

Your biggest enemies-- particularly right now-- are the toxic zealots who have already backed your game and, in absence of a game to play, have decided to role play as Riot Cops beating down anybody who looks askew at their beloved (fictive) super-game. This pattern repeats daily in more places than any of us can count. On Twitter, Youtube comments, Facebook pages, Gaming Media article comments, Reddit, and elsewhere.

Where did they learn and perfect this odious art, you wonder? Why, the RSI forums, of course!

---

THE PROBLEM, IN SUMMARY:

You have stated your intention to "take the pressure off backers to keep funding the game" by focusing your efforts on winning newer backers to the cause. This is a sensible strategy, at least on its surface, yet the proposition is going to be bloody difficult if:

1) The game is buggy, confusing, and unfun to play.
2) The tutorial is broken.
3) The community is hostile to new players who state that either or both of the above is true.

THE SOLUTION, IN SUMMARY:

You, the Community and Marketing Team, do not have the power to fix what is wrong with the game, or accelerate the development of its improvement. You do, however, have useful tools to combat this problem. There are good-hearted, patient members in your community, trying their level best to help win new converts to the fold. And not all of them are motivated by your cynical referral program carrot.

You are fortunate in that respect. They still love you, for reasons beyond my understanding.

Because of that, you need to:

1) EMPOWER AND ELEVATE THE GOOD GUYS --- they are the best tools in your arsenal in what will be a difficult new season of your life. Elevate their stature, and start taking a harder line approach with that part of your backer base that truly is the enemy within. If the game was not the mess that it is, then this particular issue would not be of such urgent priority. You, the Community and Marketing leadership, may have no power over the pace and quality of development, but you have a lot of tools at your disposal for changing the discourse in your own community.

2) PRIORITIZE NEW PLAYER EDUCATION VIDEOS -- Instead of doing yet another weekly show (the newest of which is apparently about Space Plants), you should focus on weekly programming aimed at educating non-players about the game and educating current players about the importance of welcoming any and all questions that non-players may have. Right now, some members of your own community are doing this for you, because they recognize the need is great, but it's YOUR GAME, and you need to do this for yourself.

3) FIX THE drat TUTORIAL - Tell Chris that fixing the Tutorial is a five-alarm fire and needs developer attention immediately. Pull five guys off their 4th revamp of a spinning space chair remodel and have them make a tutorial that doesn't suck.

4) DON'T JUST DISCOURAGE TOXIC BACKERS, PUNISH THEM -- Lando and Ben showed some encouraging signs in a recent Reverse the Verse, asking the community not to insult or argue with people. But an offhand comment in a show seen by maybe 1000 viewers is not enough. You need to make examples of the toxic losers who stand amongst the Welcome Committess with their guns out, ready to fire endless lobs of "You're an idiot", "You don't understand Game development", "This is an ALPHA, rear end in a top hat!" at your next potential wave of customers. You have seen it play out countless times, as surely as we have. You need to start doing something about it.

5) REFRESH YOUR PUBLIC PERSONA BY ELEVATING NEW FACES - Ben and Sandi, I'm sorry to break the news to you, but each of you have lost credibility with the fanbase over the last year, for very different reasons. The rapturous reception of Sean Tracy by "Reverse the Verse" viewers is telling you something-- that a straight-talking and informed developer actually talking about the true state of the game is like manna from heaven to a starving people wandering the desert looking for the Promised Land. You could regain some goodwill with an increasingly restive population by replacing yourselves with Sean Tracy and Cherie Heiberg. Ben, you come across as Uninformed and Sandi, you come across as Disinterested. Sean and Cherie are very informed, very interested and, in contrast to you both, they seem trustworthy, too. If you want to change the tone (and you bloody well should), it starts with replacing them mouthpieces.

-----

I recognize that this is constructive criticism, and will likely be seen as presumptuous and disingenuous, considering that it came from Something Awful. You seem far more likely to take action to our posts when you find us delighting in some smoking gun you've left buried somewhere that you need to track down and throw into the ocean.

Yet it is offered sincerely, and the advice is sound. Do not let 'director of spaceships' titles earned through sycophancy deafen you, Ben. Do not let your excessive self-regard as a Marketing Genius blind you, Sandi. Let neither your cash reserves nor past successes delude you about the present realities. There's a chill in the air now, guys, and it's not just the weather changing, it is the season.

I'm glad you made this effort post G0RF, because if nothing else it got me to watch Jeffrey's Icky Squishy video.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Toops posted:

In situations like this, I fall back to the razor of our dear friend Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Wait... which one is malice and which is stupidity in this case?

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

Another day, another patch.

There's yet another fix for that rifle.

Wait, they're still trying to fix the doors in the Million Mile High Club? Hasn't this been an issue for... at least half a year?

Toops posted:

Flight Controller for Solar Plebeian: http://pastebin.com/feiDi227

//fuckingStupid30SecWakeup.anim.Start()

That actually made me honest to god laugh out loud.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

TTerrible posted:

:five: :five: :five:

I like to think that the player was locked into that ragdoll you pushed around, desperate to right themselves, unwilling to quit and rejoin because it would spoil their immersion.

I was watching it thinking "What is the other guy doing? Why is the other guy putting up with this? Why doesn't he just suicide or log out?" and then I realized that the PU is so janky that there's no guarantee that anything we're seeing in the video is anything like what the other player is seeing. For all I know he could have been out flying a spaceship on his end.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

QUESTION FOR THE THREAD: WHEN WAS THE MOMENT YOU CAME TO YOUR SENSES?

Honestly I've never been involved with Star Citizen in any way. I only came over here due to someone linking the thread in the YOSPOS bitcoin thread... I think it was mocking seraph84? Anyway since then I've been more or less ignoring Bitcoin, since I find watching the train wreck of Star Citizen more entertaining then watching the train wreck of Bitcoin.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

A Neurotic Jew posted:

priced between $425 and $900 depending on the variant :homebrew:

You know what really gets me? This is the ship that should have the giant spinny rings.

Look you're growing space wheat weed or whatever no matter how rare it is, you're not going to be making much money selling agricultural products. So who would want to pay for however gravity is generated in the SC universe? You just build a huge ring, which gives long, straight, easy to harvest fields of space kale or whatever at the cost of just keeping the ring or the ship spinning.

I'm pretty sure I've put more thought into this then CIG did at this point.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Now... I'm no fidelitous game designer, but wouldn't you need atmosphere to have exhaust curl like that?

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Daztek posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrL8M4aG7VU

Noclip spaceships and space dust in space

E: and spinning on platform spaceships in space

Wow... the station rings keep "popping" into a slightly orientation. You can see a pretty clear example at 2 minutes in.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

So that's the Ben's promised "fun story" the "lore guys" came up with? "So, we had a warehouse of these ultra rare ships kicking around. Since the aliens who designed the ships are attacking us, we decided 'Hey why not sell em?' So grab a ship from the alien plunderers who are killing civilians right now and go fly around." How does that make any sense?

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

A Neurotic Jew posted:

note the little black smudge representing the Starfarer, then turn your head to the sky and laugh.

I'm just picturing taking one of the larger ships and repeatedly smashing it every launch pad at once. I'm guessing that there's no sort of plan over at CIG to deal with that sort of greifing.

Of course, the chances that even the Starfarer are going to make it into the game (or that there will be a actual game) are so slim as to be non-existent.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Tokamak posted:

New concept art.
Odds on this ever making it into the final game? I don't know why they give a poo poo about 'realism', when garbage like this exists. Floating platforms, breathable atmosphere on a gas giant, jfc... Shipyard in atmosphere, on a gas giant with no metal. Literally the most useless place for a shipyard :psyduck:

Crusader is a massive gas giant that has been terraformed so that the atmosphere is breathable.
The planet is used as a shipyard for constructing massive ships. Landing zones are reserved for visitors and families of Crusader Industries employees as well as commercial uses.

Wha...? Oh man, that is retarded. Even assuming there's some magic space voodoo that would actually make a breathable gas giant like this work it's still moronic. Imagine you drop something, a wrench, a ship, or a person. Whelp it's gone now, crushed into whatever this impossible gas giant has for a core.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Daztek posted:

I hope birds will have procedurally generated physics grids

Every bird has it's own individual gravity field, allowing you to build planets and even suns out of dead space birds!

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Jason Sextro posted:

I'm trying to imagine designing and building an industrial facility with a 100 million dollar budget with no planning and flying entirely by the seat of one's pants

it's not a nice thought

That's something I've been wondering about : is Crobberts aware of how hosed everything is, or is he blissfully unaware that CIG is in a nosedive?

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

Oh and forgot I don't think this has been posted.

Due to some bizarre bug a guy spawned a Starfarer in AC and flew it around. So you get to see first hand the fov from the cockpit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXUegQIZBNE

Has anyone gotten the hanger golf cart to spawn in the PU? I've always wondered how a terrestrial vehicle would interact with the kludged together spaceship game.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Did... Did they fix the Olisar decal twitching around? It only seems to be randomly vanishing and dropping to a low res now.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

There's also another Hilton logo under the A in Manchester TI

Edit: Oh... that was already pointed out. That's what I get for posting from 20 pages back

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 31, 2016

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

hanales posted:

I've honestly never played a space game in my life, none of the ones mentioned in these threads. I do game a lot, but I find sims quite boring.

I actually came here via the schadenfreude thread many months ago. My first post was a sauce question. Then I watched an RTV and they were literally showing a JPEG on a computer screen that they were going to sell and I laughed harder than I ever had before. So I'm here to the bitter end.

That's my Star Citizen story. I'm here to the end. :pgabz: also I bought this emote to get you guys to like me out of my love for this thread

You seriously should give KSP a try, there's a "demo" available which is a old outdated build of the game. It's spergy spaceship building/crashing fun.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Klyith posted:

1. Chris Roberts / Star Citizen (tentative position based on current performance)
2. Curt Schilling, 38 Studios, & the State of Rhode Island (qualifies for actually criminal)
3. Microsoft's Xbox One strategy in 2013
4. The death of THQ & the uDraw
5. EA's MMO failures

Honorable mentions 6-10 in some order: DNF, EA SimCity, Ion Storm, Too Human, the VirtualBoy

Daikatana, like Battlecruiser3000, is more remembered for the expectations vs results disparity

Hey now, while Ion Storm produced the infamous Daikatana they also produced Anachonox, which is enough to give them a pass in my book.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Scruffpuff posted:

This right here is someone's PhD. Nobody gives a flying gently caress about Wing Commander - much less the "floppy count". Jesus Roberts Christ, was this really necessary to tweet? Are there more people around the world like Ben? "Making a spreadsheet with all the fonts I saw in Heretic!" "Spreadsheet underway with all the Ultima Underworld manual addendas!"

For gently caress's sake, Ben - for gently caress's sake. You've shackled your entire adult existence to a mostly forgettable game from over 2 decades ago. You know what I was playing when Wing Commander was making the rounds? Populous and Final Fantasy II. I loved those games, played the ever-living poo poo out of them. Played them into the loving ground. It never occurred to me, in 2016, to tweet about them, Ben. That would not occur to any sane man.

Do you know what I wasn't playing? Wing Commander. I ripped through it, said "welp, finished that one", and uninstalled it, like the rest of the world. When X-Wing came out a year or two later, do you know how my buddies and I in college described it? "Like Wing Commander, but good." That's what we said, Ben. And then we laughed. Even back then, Ben, although we didn't know it, we were laughing at you. And 25 years later, the world is still laughing at you. Snap out of this poo poo.

As a teenager I once spent a week or two figuring out how to access every characters stats in Final Fantasy III with a Game Genie. I cannot for the life of me figure out how someone would care about the number of floppies a game came on.

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 4, 2016

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

RuckusRouser posted:

I actually forgot about that dumb WC cross. Keep in mind he wore it to his wedding:

In a way I think the cross thing is most telling. It didn't exist at all in ANY of the games, it was invented only for the lovely movie plot. Then, on one of the most important days of this guy's life, he made sure to wear a replica of that prop, simply because Chris Roberts directed it. If that is not a form of religious devotion, I don't know what is.

That poor button holding shut the tux

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

I've been meaning to ask, what the hell is this from? Because I can't think of any context which would make crobberts hand gestures seem less insane.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

I just gave him his chicken!

Here's more garbage quality video courtesy of my girlfriend.

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzZUMpKBNaA

It's private.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

G0RF posted:

Speaking of inauthenticity and slick motion graphics, anybody know what game this commercial is for? Looks pretty slick with asteroids colliding into each other and pretty female pilots and all that.

Okay this is from a ways back, but why would you have a fan in your cockpit if you were wearing a space suit? Also the pilots hair is absolutely terrible.

Edit: quoted the wrong post

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Didn't someone already do this? I could swear that the Fourth Stimpire text was how I found out about the Star Wars Intro Creator.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

A Neurotic Jew posted:

uh big deal does Frontier have any doors like this?!?

https://twitter.com/Devourlick/status/720789455775395840

Holy crap Star Citizen doors that actually work?

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

orcinus posted:

Who in their right minds would pay $240 for a game.

I ended up paying $100 for LoZ: Majora's Mask. That memory expansion pack was expensive :(

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

also i'm not sure how the characters are spatially related to one and other

vaquero fires a missile which hits hobbes on the port-side but vaquero is able to 'dive' on him and hit him with his guns. however, at the same time, hobbes is able to fire missiles that hit him? were they charging each other head on? why?

Because if you're not moving forward in space, your spaceship wings won't generate spacelift, and you'll fall down and hit the space ground.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

I'm usually pretty ambivalent when it comes to furniture, but dear god that thing is tacky.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Skellybones posted:

With all the money spent on avs we could have bought a starfarer

But unlike a Starfarer, a SA avatar has some entertainment value.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Decrepus posted:

Now that I think about it CIG should just say they were hacked and lost everything and can't make the game, similar to other indie games and then also Bitcoin 20 times.

"Unfortunately we were hacked by a mysterious Chinese relic dealer. However, after some negotiation he's agreed to deliver 51% of the game as long as there's no further investigation!"

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Lime Tonics posted:

The first rpg I ever beat was crystalis. I first learned what a pawn shop was because of it.

Oh man, I loved that game. Probably my favorite game on the NES (certainly the favorite out of the games I owned).

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

runsamok posted:

21st Century Japanese farm:

30th Century Space farm a la Roberts:

It's like he's lived in a cave completely cut off from everything since the mid 90s. Game development, science advancements, human achievements, the works.

Every time that ship is posted I'm struck by how small the pods are. I'd guess from the crops shown you could maybe grow a months worth of food for a single person per pod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Sunswipe posted:

Oh god, Malatora flashbacks.

You know, honestly Star Citizen and Malatora are similar in a lot of ways. Both are basically a elaborate game of "let's pretend" where they're convinced their unrealistic expectations are not only sane, but trivial to create and are just around the corner.

Well that and they're both full of a lot of creepy sex stuff too.

• Locked thread