Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I liked STO. It was an ok MMO.

Man, STO could have been so much better though. I really wish Cryptic had held off on the ground portion of the game, they should have redone that, made it play more like Mass Effect. They actually tried to do that but failed horribly. The space portion of the game is really good, even if the itemization is terrible, and upgrading your crew is really confusing and convoluted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nothing about this is impressive.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

intardnation posted:

ahhhh that is key to star shitizen. Drink before playing. I shall try it.

Why have a bad time drinking? Just take Star Citizen out altogether and always have a good time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Me coming into this thread to see if Star Citizen has been canceled yet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

We are suppose to believe Squadron 42 is going to be some amazing masterpiece directed by Chris Roberts when he also directed this mess.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

runsamok posted:

This is my white catte, the day she arrived.

This is a pretty catte. She looks like she is depressed that she lives in a world where Star Citizen exists.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MeLKoR posted:

A stimperial catte.

Is this a picture from the new Dune movie?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How come CIG hasn't run out of money yet like Derek Smart predicted?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The loving cockpit even freezes if you turn off the ship. :eyepop: The physics in this game too are insane.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

D_Smart posted:

Isn't that called projection? Did they even READ their ruler's Escapist rant, and counted the number of times he MENTIONS me and my game? For an article that had NOTHING to do with me?

Can it really be? The Derek Smart is making a post where he doesn't want something to be about him??? Am I understanding this correctly? :eyepop:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

D_Smart posted:

Maybe it's because Spergs keep giving them money since Oct, in order to keep them afloat? And because that's the nature of analysis based on current information.

Also, just because you have $6m in the bank, when you have a $3m monthly burn, doesn't mean you "have" money. It just means you're fast running into the point where accountants regard it as no longer being a "going concern" (look it up).

Which is why they pulled that 2.0 stunt following CitCon as I predicted that they would.

If they weren't running out of money; or needed the money, there would be no reason to continue crowd-funding. Especially when CR has stated that if funding were to stop, they could still finish the game. He lied.

Why do you keep infesting the internet with your aids? You've literally been wrong about every single thing involving this game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Lol how much did you buy in for, be honest.

$45 but I got a refund.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So he was right about getting a refund?

What did he say about getting refunds?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sunswipe posted:

I think the attitude most people have towards Derek can best be summed up here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCFowMpLmAc

edit: Basically, it's unfair to compare Roberts to Hitler because at least Hitler achieved something.

Roberts did create a few games, way back in the 80s and 90s. The last time he really did anything was Starlancer back in 2000. And I mean hey he has gotten 1.3 million people to give him over 100 million dollars for nothing in return, that's gotta count for something? Credit where credit is due in my opinion, he may not have met our standards for shipping an actual game (and our standards are low as poo poo) but he has achieved the best video game scam ever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

God damnit you beat me to it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

flyboi posted:

How is it that you can buy "all" ships for 15k and there are backers at over 30k? The whole concept of how they make money eludes me.

I think there were exclusive ships offered for a limited time, and some backers bought multiples of the same package because they are batshit crazy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

How about you go the gently caress away because you're boring and nobody appreciates you

My mom appreciates me, she just brought down a hotpocket to my basement bedroom a few moments ago.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sunswipe posted:

How much did he actually have to do with Starlancer? All I can find him listed as is Executive Producer, which could mean something or nothing.

The longer this farce goes on, the more I wonder exactly how much Roberts ever had to do with the success of games with his name on them. Was Wing Commander really a result of his fantastic vision, or was he lucky enough to have a good team working under him who got a decent (yes, for the time, haven't played it so I'm not going to argue how well it's stood the test of time) title out in spite of him?

I was looking at Wikipedia and just skimming it, trying to only find the titles where it credited him as "creating" the title.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sunswipe posted:

I don't think that's a particularly useful thing to be looking for. Does creating mean he sat down and hammered out all the details, or that he rocked up with an idea that was "There's these big space cats called Kilrathi and they're at war with Earth, so you have to fly a space Spitfire and kill them," then basically sat back while people actually made the game.

That's a good point that I hadn't thought about really. I figured it just meant that he led a team of people, but this raises some interesting questions about what it means to really be given credit as creating something when you are doing it for a paycheck with even a small team of people.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I wonder if the guys in the SC thread have forgotten I hate Derek Smart

:ohdear: it's been a couple months better go there and make really, really sure everybody there knows I hate Derek Smart, that sounds like something that would contribute to the thread yes

If this isn't the most adorable passive aggressive post i've ever seen. :shobon:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ostentatious posted:

The new Platinum Games Star Fox will have a better story than SQ42

Um, maybe you've heard of an actor called Gary Oldman? Yeah, he is going to be in SQ42 so you might want to rethink this opinion, buster! :gary:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Galarox posted:

The Stimpire Parps Back

:gary: :five: :five: :five: :five: :gary:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Irving was really professional in his interview. I think he knows exactly where Star Citizen is heading but it's really not his place to say and i'm glad he didn't spill details openly as much as I really want to know. In the end I already know Star Citizen is a disaster that isn't going to ship, what Irving says has very little to no impact on that. We'll get the full story on the games failure when the time is right.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Did a free week of Star Citizen come and go recently or is one coming up? I would play these free weeks if I knew they were happening.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Daztek posted:

There is one until the 20th, you can fly all ships

Gonna check this out now that I have a good graphics card.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay so I tried out the free Star Citizen thingy, I loaded up the hanger and got onto one of the ships. It had a toilet on it, I sat on the toilet and the game glitched and I couldnt get off the toilet. I was stuck on it. Game is an overwhelming success, congrats Chris Roberts, you did it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Are there any plans to make parts of Squadron 42 available for backers? If CIG really wants to show that they are making real progress on this they should release the game to backs in small chunks where they can see the storyline and missions. Since the game is supposedly going to be "finished" this year as they have promised multiple times, this shouldn't be an issue.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

Hahaha you really don't know? The Squadron 42 everyone is waiting for right now is Squadron 42 Episode ONE. I think they said they were going to break it up into like three chapters or whatever. I honestly don't remember how many but it's supposed to be episodic.

Hahaha I honestly did not know this. What a loving disaster.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jesus loving christ, Derek Smart, you are so dense.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Do you all remember the time someone on the official Star Citizen forums made a thread about how rape should be a feature in the FPS module and people actually agreed with it?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

D_Smart is a one of a kind human being.*

*Don't mistake this for a compliment it absolutely is not.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

redwalrus posted:

they literally installed constellation doors into their office building.

Jesus loving christ that man is fat.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No Man's Sky has every feature that Star Citizen has, it's being made by a team of like 12 people, and it comes out in two months: http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/04/11/no-mans-sky-21-minutes-of-new-gameplay-ign-first

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All of the new NMS footage looks incredible. This was a team of like 12 people and they have pulled off what Chris Roberts has failed to do. Not only that but they did it while being funded by Sony.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

God loving damnit :lol:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yay for more horseshit from yours truly. :homebrew:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All about PC Gaming, Tek, Anime, Manga, and so much more! Love supporting all the Star Citizen community ^_^

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Octal posted:

Is that a lot of lag from button to action or is it just me?

You're not the only one, that is a very long delay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lime Tonics posted:

Has CiG actually done anything right in the last 5~6 years development wise?

Or the last 6 months, or whatever the development cycle started.

They got a crymod tech demo out, and made things "hanger ready" , other than that?

The tutorial is still broken for fucks sakes.

They have yet to release a single game. Their first game is going to be Squadron 42 and it is a gigantic title that is too big for a first time dev studio that is spread out across 3 studios that are located around the globe.

• Locked thread