Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Probably £25 here, I think DS2 Record Breaker is gonna have to wait.

Record Breaker is coming out now as well? Yikes, my backlog is going to be growing...

smenj posted:

Apparently it has a new system for chaining crafts (so you can have characters go one after another with their crafts, the later their go the more powerful the craft), and has rebalanced things a little so physical attackers are a bit better to use than they were in FC. Beyond that, no idea, hopefully someone who's played the game can chime in.

I think another RPG I played had that. Was it Golden Sun or am I misremembering?

Golden Sun was another great set of RPGs; though getting told in the second game that your actions in the first were misguided to say the least is a bit of a frustrating revelation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Supremezero posted:

That wouldn't really make sense in Golden Sun's battle system. Tales of Xillia, probably?

I've only had a go at Eternia and Vesperia.

[edit] Anyway, 13 hours...

Munin fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 29, 2015

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Btw, what's is SC like when it comes to missables?

FC is generally pretty lenient at signposting stuff but there is some obscure gotcha stuff. Is there still stuff like that in the new one? I don't mind talking to everyone and exploring, it's in fact one of the things I really enjoy, but you do have the odd bit in FC where if you don't take the right turning at a specific time or don't talk to one obscure person at the exactly right moment you end up missing out on stuff.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

"At this point, you and Joshua are, essentially, the two most wretchedly miserable sons of dogs I have EVER had the displeasure of knowing."

Preach it sister!

Munin fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 30, 2015

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I was getting tired of going back and forth between the notebook and my equipment to do orbment setups, so I made a thing to keep on the other monitor. (Status effects are on there to make the columns even. :v: )

Quick thing about the magic descriptions. What does Sylpharion actually do? It is marked as "Support" but has no effect noted for it. It is either missing that or it is a damage or healing spell and should have been marked as such.

[edit] Btw Sara, are you considering trying to get a piece on localisation and PC porting up on Gamasutra? A lot of the stuff covered in the blog posts are a good fit for a Gamasutra piece.

Munin fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 31, 2015

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Just wanted to add another thing I like about Trails in the Sky. The setting has a history and the game shows it to you without banging you over the head with it. You see the effects of the orbment revolution on the various localities you travel through, some thriving because of it like Perzel farm with new markets for their produce and others stagnating like Manoria since no one needs to take the long arduous and dangerous pass road anymore.

The you have stuff like the play which give you hints how the political landscape of the country with a lot of the power resting with semi hereditary provincial "Mayors" who are more like governors and a relatively weak monarchy. The Hundred Day War and the very pertinent way in which it totally reshaped the military of Liberl would be another such thing but with obviously far more direct impact on the game's story.

Of course the big glaring question is how a strong organisation not tied to individual nations but with a lot of power in all the places it has a presence in developed.

I mean, don't get me wrong there are still some huge holes if you start thinking about it too much but it is a far more thought through setting than the vast majority of fantasy stuff out there which are essentially medieval kingdoms which are essentially unchanged since the last time "The Big Evil One" tm rose up and threatened the world. Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre are two games which are arguably better on the political plotting side of things.

[edit] I'm currently replaying the school festival for the third time in my replay of FC. First time round I forgot that you lose access to Joshua in a particular bit and I had the information quartz on him, the second time I was sure I had moved it to Estelle and noticed after playing through it all again that I had in ffact had not and hence bring on take three...

Munin fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 1, 2015

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Okay, cool, just as long as missing that BP doesn't prevent me from getting other quests later on, I can live with it. Thanks. :)

Missing bonus BP will never lock you out of quests later. You just miss out on the top tier bracer rewards if you miss a lot of BP.

If you get the minimal amount of BP you get rewarded with one of the best cutscenes ever.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Omobono posted:

Just started the game.
Aidios help me, Cassius, you're cool and all but sometimes you can be a bloody idiot. I understand how J thought that was a good idea but you're supposed to be wiser than that.
Preach it Shera.

You've presumably got to the bit where some extracts of J's letter are revealed and that should also have led you to re-evaluate his tact, foresight and understanding...

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Quick cutscene glitch report from FC.

After taking the photo to Leiston you get taken back to the guild. In that scene Agate and Tita start already spawned. You the get the door opening sound and the pan across to them. I presume that bit of the screen is cut off in the smaller res version. I have a save file from just before that scene if you need it.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

If you are NG+ing is nightmare a total pain in the end game? This is for FC.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

dmboogie posted:

With the release of SC, I figured it was finally time for me to finish up my playthrough of FC. Things are pretty rad and all (I'm on chapter three) but I've got a question:

Does the Temp Librarian Plus sidequest expire once you leave for the Leiston Fortress or whatever plot? The wiki says it does, but the game plot-locked its completion ever since I got to Elmo Village and it's kind of really annoying me because I'm not sure when, exactly, I was expected to do the quest.

I've done literally every other sidequest in the game, hidden and not, and it would be kinda frustrating to be locked out of 100% quest completion because of this.

You're fine. You'll be free to wander all over the place before heading to Leiston. The point of no return is also clearly signposted.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

dmboogie posted:

Whenever I try to head south of Zeiss for the second part of the quest Joshua tells me I'm going the wrong way, though.

Oops, sorry. Yeah, that is not the point of no return I'm talking about. As Cake attack says you'll be back.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

im almost positive they don't

From what I could tell they certainly could in FC. That said the amount is generally inconsequential.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Quick potential FC script (not scripting) bug:

If you visit the gates just before the raid on Erbe Royal Villa the guards at Gurune Gate mention the lockdown that is currently underway, however the guards at Sanktheim Gate are still talking about simply about still being on high alert. Is that the correct dialog for Sanktheim?

Also, random translation/japanese version question. How are all the German names rendered in the Japanese version? I presume that the German names ARE present in Japanese version as well.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Quick question for the Reverse Harem and Ladies Man Achievements at what point do you have to switch to the appropriately gendered party? I beat the final set of fights with Kloe and Shera but it didn't pop.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Really Pants posted:

You have to choose two ladies or two men right when you first enter the Sealed Area, and the option pops up for the first time. You can't get either achievement at any point afterwards, so you'll have to reload for the other one. Your last autosave will be right before Lorence. Have fun! :unsmigghh:

:woop:

Quick random graphical glitch note the "Happy Birthday 60th Anniversary" vertical banners are mirrored in the East Block but not anywhere else. Also me talking to everyone in this game also made me notice that the little girl in front of the Church during the celebrations says the same thing as her mother/older sister.

I've got a played time of on the save of over 70 hours due to my compulsive chatting...

I'd forgotten how good dear old Weissmann was at twisting the knife.

Munin fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 14, 2015

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Omobono posted:

I'm done, finally, with Trails. I'll do a complete FC and SC replay maybe sometimes this summer, but man was this game good.

Chapters 7 and 8 were mostly filler, but in a good way. After the rollercoaster that was 6 some downtime was good.
Mostly filler because the end of chapter 8 is bloody awesome and kicks the plot back in motion.

Chapter 9 is the final dungeon and man do they crank it up. Good characters interactions, nice fights, the bladelord was a pain and an half, Weissmann was really, really satisfying.
Especially because he was fairly easy, it fits his character: for all his arrogance he really had no clue and his plan shattered to pieces the instant something didn't go exactly as planned, while he overlooked plenty of chances to close it with a good enough result.

You might want to spoiler some of that.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Btw, is the Heaven's Eye quartz in SC bugged? The description says it should be Eagle Eye and Information but the stats in the monster book are not populating. I am seeing enemies from afar though.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

The bug is that it doesn't give you the minimap radar blips for monsters like the real Eagle Eye quartz does. The Information side (giving you details on monsters in combat) works just fine; just target something that explodes (like eggers) and you'll see it's fine.

You get the information anyway. It's the monster book details that information adds, or so at least I've always thought.

Anyway, I hope it gets patched.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Supremezero posted:

Keep pace my rear end, Kloe was the best damage dealer in the game as soon as the Duende Slippers happened.

This was actually one of my objections to the game! Olivier's supposed to be a good mage! But all the super powered casting equipment was female exclusive!

Hmm that is a bit annoying.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

On my end you've basically got a guaranteed customer for any Trails PC release.

SpaceDrake posted:

Yes. Mr. Kondo, President of Falcom, has indicated there'll be one more Erebonia game, followed by a Calvard-based series which may close out the story.

Quick question about the Calvard Republic. I remember an in FC mention that in the Calvard Republic only Royalty had proper access to airship transport. Is that accurate?

I want to track down that line again because it did raise several questions in my head.

Note that I've only played some of the prologue and first chapter of SC in case the social structure of the Calvard Republic is made clearer in that.

[re-edit] Also, let me just re-iterate how much I've enjoyed FC and what I've seen of SC so far. I've made some posts in here where I've pointed out a couple of little things that I noticed but I didn't post the vast number of things I was impressed by, the mot juste etc since then I would have spent more time posting than playing... I also wouldn't have spent the time reading nearly every single line of NPC dialog.

Munin fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 19, 2015

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Supremezero posted:

I'm reasonably sure that's impossible, simply because the Calvard Republic has no royalty. It's a republic. It has a president.

That's kinda what I expected and why it stuck in my mind.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Btw, Sc seem to just download a small patch for me. Any idea what it is or whether it's just Steam faffing about?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

We did see one miracle already.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

The most important pairing is Mueller and Olivier though.

looking at fanart and some messed up people ship him with schera. smdh

I think you're missing the true spirit of Olivier, he would ship himself with everyone.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Hoohah posted:

Jesus, I just started putting together gameplay footage of Ys 6 for a potential LP, and as part of my plans I want to show the differences between the normal, sane, steam / pc version and the Konami PS2 version, since I still have that disc.

How I ever got through it on PS2 I'll never know...

The wonders of youth...

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I should dig up my PSP again and see when when I finished FC originally...

I could then also work on completing Tactics Ogre.

[edit] Randomly saying, it would be nice if the PC versions of Legends stuff could get PDFs or the likes of the art books. Someone mentioned Lionhearts edition and well, I don't have a Vita and would also not really consider importing from the US either. (Is the Vita region locked anyway or not?)

Munin fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 27, 2015

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Super Jay Mann posted:

No kidding. And here I thought everything would be fine after I finished SC and that lingering itch while waiting for that game would go away, but nope! Still there. Except this time we have no idea whether an English version of the 3rd will even exist. :smith:

The Western Trails Experience.™

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

The Doomhammer posted:

I wonder if any other bracer ever went from G-rank to A as fast as Estelle does if you get max BP, considering Anelace is still an F after six months, Kurt is Liberl's top bracer and isn't quite an A, Schera and Agate are C rank in FC and are considered veterans with significant reputations...

Probably Cassius did, because Cassius. Anyway, it's a good reason to be smug.

On Steam the is a long thread discussing Estelle and Joshua's "canon" bracer rank. It is about as tedious a discussion as you could expect.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Endorph posted:

the first game has a white-haired pretty boy who dual wields swords and is so overwhelmingly powerful that he can 1v3 your party and you're expected to lose the fight in two turns, and the final boss is a giant robot.

Not to mention a tournament arc, the obligatory hot springs, parental neglect

The thing is though that unlike 90% of shounen manga it doesn't forget to have an actual plot when the set of face-offs hit. It also has the advantage over manga that it can't be turned into a never ending un-moving plot morass by publishers once it gets popular. Nothing more depressing in manga that a cool, quirky and interesting series getting a totally rushed ending due to it facing the axe and good and popular series having all the fun and momentum sucked out of them out of need to cash in on yet another volume.

The Colonel posted:

I disagree, in this essay-length post about my feelings on the pitiful, cliche, tired state of modern anime and anime-influenced video games

Drill hair AND twin-tails!

I do hope Cold Steel, like Trails FC and SC breaks enough genre conventions to be interesting.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Bleh, I kinda assumed it would come out on Steam at some point. A Vita is definitely not on the cards for me at the moment,

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Slur posted:

It doesn't seem likely though. How well has SC been selling since its initial launch date? It seems like it went under a lot of people's radars.

Seems to have sold much less than FC; which is not surprising considering you really should finish FC before playing it. The SC launch does seem to have given FC sales another shot in the arm in part due to that.

What buzz I have seen has been good and I have seen more and morre word of mouth mention of it on various sites since SC came around. Man I seriously do hope that with long tail sales etc porting it ends up making them a good chunk of change.

[edit] I also have to admit to being one of the people who raves on about TitS in comment threads...

But to add a touch more detail. The regular "What are you playing this weekend" feature on RPS had one other person playing TitS last week and this week three plus one of the RPS contributors considering it. That's after Kotaku having a article calling Trails the best JRPG of the decade so far recently. So there is definitely some increasing awareness.

Munin fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Dec 6, 2015

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Slur posted:

I don't think that a thread on a forum is a good gauge for how many people are currently playing a game on Steam, or ownership. That Kotaku article went under a lot of people's radars as well. Steamspy, as inaccurate as it is, shows that Trails SC is the lowest selling Falcom game on Steam to date.

I love this franchise, but it seems highly unlikely that we're going to see more titles in it.

The only depressing thing about the SteamSpy numbers is the relative success of Akiba Strip over more worthwhile games...

SC has been selling pretty steadily and the Ys games have been out for a long time and also heavily discounted on several occasions already. As I said as well earlier the release of SC has also given a bump to FC sales which was well short of 2nd place of the chart previously. As Supremezero has said it's too soon to write off that entire endeavour as a loss at this point as you seem to do.

I obviously don't expect it to match the sales of FC, which is probably part of the reason why they decided to release it at a higher price point, and I would be curious what XSEED's/Falcom's sales targets for both games were at launch and are now.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Erpy posted:

Regarding the blog post, I've been part of voice recording sessions myself and I can confirm the crazy amount of work that goes into the preparation and coaching the VA's. It's cool to see how much time and dedication XSeed put into it to make sure the dub's quality is as good as possible. It's not gonna change the minds of anyone who's part of the "I don't care about the effort, NO ENGLISH EVERRRRRRRR!"-crowd intent on boycotting the game, but it might ease the minds of those still on the fence.

Yeah, voice direction is a much under-appreciated skill. Some companies seem poo poo at it and others, like XSeed, seem to have a handle on it. Quite often the issue when you hear bad VA is not that the actor themselves are poo poo but that they haven't been told the proper pacing context etc for each line and since they are recording each line in isolation they can get certain things all wrong. It's a bit like how Ninja Theory can make their models act pretty well but so many other companies only manage 3 expressions and no nuance and reactivity.

The dev commentary track on the first Blackwell game commented on it. The dev stated that one of the most important skills he acquired was how to properly direct and record voice actors. Especially since he mostly used actor friends who were obviously good at acting but had never done VO work before.

I've also be playing some Valkyria Chronicles recently and the voice acting there is often a bit flat and off. Still perfectly serviceable but not a stellar job.

[edit] Not that it changed what I would have said but I should still have read the blog post before posting. Good blog post again. I'll also give another poke about perhaps seeing whether you can get any of this stuff on places like gamasutra since it is nice and useful game dev insight stuff.

Munin fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 12, 2015

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I get mine on the 30th. :sigh: Time to avoid this thread for a week, I guess.

People in this thread have generally been good about not posting spoilers in a visible manner.

Please continue in that vein everyone! TIA!

But yeah, I still haven't played through the whole of SC yet and as I said people have been good.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Golden Sun is getting another game?!

http://www.worldofys.com/ysf/audio/Outtakes/Elena_Outtake_1.mp3

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Endorph posted:

the boobs in trails of cold steel are not that big. i would know.

Well, they would still be oversized if they were merely anime rather than anime big. That said, I would not know. I have not touched the game.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

voltcatfish posted:

Hello I'm starting tits today for the first time. Is there some beginner poo poo I need to know besides examining every treasure chest twice?

On the other hand the guide is only needed if you want to actually ace it. Generally if you're good about exploring everything you should hit top bracer rank and only miss out one weapon with slightly higher max damage you get for collecting a book series. The book series is basically the only really bullshit bit in the game.

If you care about bonus BP you also get some for answering prompts during your tasks and it's generally very clear when you pick an incorrect one and you can then reload when that happens if you want. FC is quite lenient about the BP for max rank though; as mentioned last page SC is the one with tight requirements.

[edit] SC=SC of course, err, or is that wrong?...

Munin fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 26, 2015

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Really Pants posted:

Prince Olivert's VA is loving killing it. Is that Matt Mercer?

You might want to spoiler that even though It's something I think most people would have thought very likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Really Pants posted:

He's in the intro.

Yeah, but plenty of people are still playing through the previous games. That character is also so good that I prefer the dawning realisation to come naturally.