Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm not sure if a case of government-sponsored water poisoning is necessarily the best argument against lolbertarians. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Augh, I hate it when I step into a puddle of CD in PYF. :argh:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Avshalom posted:

zimboe is possibly the worst poster on this forum

Avshalom posted:

like if i could transport a very decomposed humpback whale corpse straight into one and only one person's living space i'd choose to do it to zimboe

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I liked 50FA stories. :smith:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I thought some of his stories in the old "Best"/"Worst"/"Notable" tabletop experience threads were nice. I don't really care that they were all bullshit. I was really more annoyed with people getting into stupid arguments as to whether they were real or not. It's stories on the Internet, you shouldn't take them as Holy Writ. :shrug:

It's not like I'd bother hunting for them now or anything.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
From the SH/SC Infosec Thread:

FeloniousDrunk posted:

On the topic of password managers, I rolled my own crypto! Basically for people who don't trust LastPass etc. It runs entirely in the browser, no local storage, randomized per instance (unless choices have been made by the user).

I'd love to hear about problems it has, I haven't really put it out in the world.

After less than a page of back-and-forths which make it clear FD has no business doing this:

Rufus Ping posted:

I've made a quick POC [Proof Of Concept -- AA] to show how a malicious site (or a site with malicious ads) can abuse that bookmarklet to steal people's passwords:

https://rufoa.com/sa/poc.html

Install that guy's bookmarklet then pretend to log into my site above (click the bookmarklet then the fill button)

:allears:

There's a reason that thread's full title is "The Infosec Thread: DON'T ROLL YOUR OWN CRYPTO".

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

skander posted:

Crisis actors

:tinfoil:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Weird Al is very talented and very dedicated to his art, but I wouldn't say his lyrics themselves are the strongest point.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Oh, my God, I can't handle all these amazing forums quotes you're all posting!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The quotes are coming from inside the thread. :(

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

RyokoTK posted:

do you mean this isn't an E/N story about a psycho wife gaslighting this guy about a thermostat?

Thermostating, surely.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Thread title is 'I loving Hate Irish-Americans and their stupid version of "Irishness"', Ignore Me is the OP.

Earwicker posted:

have you considered that getting stupid drunk and being an idiot in the streets is simply a better way to enjoy life than somberly reflecting on sectarian differences or paying attention to modern Irish politics?

you may have invented Irish culture but we perfected it

Ignore Me posted:

Your actually defending the Paddy Macshitstains who use Irish heritage for the sole purpose of going to pubs and bars to get drunk and stupid?

Earwicker posted:

thats what most of our holidays are for. if you want to sit on a soggy island thinking about the pope thats cool I guess but its not a superior version of Irishness its just older

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

burexas.irom posted:

Yup, that's the guy! Don't know why I remembered him bald. I also remember it with less naked children.

Thanks goons!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

hackbunny posted:

christ, somehow I knew he meant ranxerox before even reading it in context. THAT loving PANEL what the gently caress were they thinking

Probably this, but in Italian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmXSDGTuVqg

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

funmanguy posted:

It's me. I am the one who enjoys Pearl Jam.

I love Stairway to Heaven! :buddy:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Syd Midnight posted:

I guess modding is kinda like policing or political office in that the people who want to do it the most are people who should not be given that much authority under any circumstances, but the best people for the job don't like having to do it, so petty tyrants and psychopaths tend to outnumber the Cincinnatus types

Sometimes a country will ask someone like Albert Einstein or Stephen Hawking to be their Head of State but they're always like "lol no"

The Head of State is in many countries a mostly ceremonial role. Such is the case with the President of Israel, a position rumored to have been created as a gilded holding cell for Chaim Weizmann, and which would have probably done Einstein just as much good.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

goose willis posted:

Even in death we cannot escape posting

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tiggum posted:

Being good at physics might not actually translate that well to running a country.

We're going to build a linear accelerator, and dark matter will pay for it!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FreudianSlippers posted:

Cinicunnatus is a lot like Ragnar Lođbrók or Elvis in that he may not have even existed. If he did he was a bit of a dick since one of his major platforms was not giving the poor any rights ever.

Uh.... Elvis absolutely existed, my dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qka6JrKUM5U

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FreudianSlippers posted:

Doctored footage.

You know, I thought the Flat Earthers were kind of out there, but Elvis denialism, in the sense that he'd never existed? Well.. well.. :psyduck: well...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Van Dis posted:

Are you familiar with Small Luke and Bigger Luke?

http://biggerluke.wikidot.com/bigger-luke

:psyboom:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FactsAreUseless posted:

:siren: TOP SECRET MOD FORUM LEAK :siren:

Palpek created a final shrimp/pastry gif that he never got to post back when that derail happened. He posted it in the mod forum, and I am breaking all the rules to post it here.

http://i.imgur.com/9vBKvBJ.gifv

:siren: PAGING LOWTAX, PAGING LOWTAX, MOD FORUM LEAK, REPEAT, MOD FORUM LEAK :siren:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Powaqoatse posted:

Aren't we all in a way posting about posters itt? 🤔

One of the articles of the Treaty of PYFalia is that the Funny Quotes Thread must never become self-sufficient.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
When people say they want to die outside of a retirement home, I assume they expect to die in battle, or on adventure, or in the case of OP, lifting. :shrug:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Plorkyeran posted:

I once spent a few months ripping out a robust c# implementation of a thing to replace it with a ridiculous wrapper of the matlab prototype. Then I got the gently caress out of there.

Dog Jones posted:

gently caress you, I want to gently caress you up bitch. I've been working on replacing a huge complicated MATLAB piece of poo poo with c# for a loving YEAR at my current place. As soon as I read your post I did 200 push ups to prepare my body to kick the poo poo out of you, watch your back

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

You forgot :eyepoop:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I hope Nora got hazard pay. :smith:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I wish I still had my collection of Robert E. Howard's Solomon Kane stories. One of them had him outright go on a "white man's burden" diatribe after an adventure in Africa. Quite unsettling.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hogge Wild posted:

yeah howard's racial theories he wrote as world building are really something

e: woah, when did you lose your star?

Probably some time yesterday, I got demodded on Friday the 13th (:spooky:).

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Josef bugman posted:

Wasn't he the one who, after spending a bit of time with Lovecraft, actually became less racist? Because Lovecraft was so insanely racist he took a step back and went "huh, that's actually kind of dumb".

He was way more elaborate race theory racist than HPL, so I doubt it.

It would be interesting to read a good book researching racism among pulp writers, or even just in HPL's circle.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Alhazred posted:

Its actually from Planetary, written by Warren Ellis.

Who's the artist, so I make sure never to buy any of their work?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Powaqoatse posted:

Just only buy French or Belgian comic books & you're probably safe.

Formidable!

Alhazred posted:

Not if you're me. The artist is Phil Jimenez which I keep mixing up with Juan Gimenez (their surnames are kinda similar I guess) and while Gimenez is a great artist Jimenez is not.

GIS confirms that these are not the same art style, nope.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lockback posted:

Mountains of Madness is very good, and some of his short stories are decent, but past that the quality of his writing gets really hit or miss really fast. He wasn't the first guy to touch on those themes, but he did a good job of bringing the mythology together. Like was posted before, he wasn't a good writer and the stories themselves were not very good either, but the world around it was very intriguing.

Mountains of Madness had too much foreshadowing; and then the horror elements were way less horror and more "ooh, that's interesting". As in, this could have been better written calmly as sci fi, imo.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:3:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

VanSandman posted:

any music you have to be trained to appreciate sucks

I was trained to appreciate classical music by watching Looney Tunes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hogge Wild posted:

hell yeah! :):hf::)

"Kill the Wabbit"?!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Count Chocula posted:

99% of goons, if you scratch the surface, only like Weird Al and metal.

I like prog rock and classical. Come at me!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Count Chocula posted:

Oh yes, prog rock, a non-goony genre which is nothing like metal.

HOW DARE YOU!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml7pzflhNIk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Eripsa posted:

Of course, this is a completely legitimate concern. You raise this concern because you recognize that such underhanded dealings are also a significant threat to our current system, and significant resources go into addressing exactly these issues. So we'd expect significant resources to go into addressing the same problems in the Polytopolis.

I won't deny in any way that these are legitimate problems, and that significant resources will go into addressing issues like crime and violence in any human system. Since you read the thread you'll remember that I even admitted the Polytopolis might be less efficient than the system we have, in the sense of requiring the dedicated work of more people to complete the same governing task. So I'm fully up-front admitting that these are issues that require addressing.

Okay. I want you to put these concerns about crime on hold for just a second, and think about a structurally related issue in the Polytopolis: What's stopping people from having friends that aren't on Facebook? I mean, over half the world's population is on Facebook, so more likely than not your friends will be on FB. But some of them won't. How do you manage the task of social networking, when the network doesn't represent all the nodes? Facebook friends aren't a moral imperative like addressing crime is. But the task is structurally the same in the sense that the network is incomplete, and a "black market" of friendship exists which the network isn't able to fully track.

So how do we manage social networking with people not on FB? Well, lots of ways. We figure it out. We have a thousand other avenues of contact pre-FB, and we manage social networks by exploiting any tool we have to our advantage. In fact, I can sense you all rushing to hit post now and shout "THATS BECAUSE SOCIAL NETWORKS DONT DEPEND ON FACEBOOK ERIPSA". Yes, exactly. The social network organizes itself, and FB is a tool we have for managing pieces of it. It's useful for somethings, terrible for others, and is fundamentally a yolk of the corporate machine. My decisions on Facebook result in algorithmic categorizations for the purposes of targeted advertising. These demographic labels have nothing to do with who I am or what I endorse except the machine thinks it must be so because that's how money grows.

The Polytopolis proposes a new kind of structure for managing identities, one that is built on the premise that individuals should always have the option to exit the machine. Yes, it opens the possibility for some new social tensions. But look at where the tensions are in the system we have, and how poorly we are able to manage them now. Look at the places where the Polytopolis frees at least some of those tensions by simply letting people organize how they want, and by doing so claim a political stake. The Polytopolis doesn't stop crime from happening, but maybe it undermines some of the reasons to commit crimes in the first place. Crime is a serious issue, but not all crime is inevitable. Crimes are instances where the system didn't work for the people, one way or another. Some crimes are genuinely cases where the system failed the people at some step of the process. Instead of building a system expecting people will need to break it, why not try to build a system that maximally represents the people so they have as little need to break the rules as possible?

If you didn't catch it, my one semi-legitimate publication, Gaming the Attention Economy defines a concept called "Natural Human Computation". Lots of apps try to gamify certain tasks to generate incentive to perform a computation. In the paper, we argue that you can use the "natural human activity" (in the sense that they're not deliberately engaging with any app or game) in order to perform computational work. The idea is that a "game" the players are already involved in playing can't be gamed, by design, because the players would have no particular incentive to break the rules.

Of course, the Polytopolis is a specific game. But the idea is that the basic mechanics of the game (identifying with norm communities) is a game that people are already invested in playing. Just like social networking; facebook can piggyback on a task that people are already going to be doing anyway, FB or not. But you give them this fairly stupid app and they can coordinate all sorts of fancy warehouse parties and ice bucket challenges (or whatever) that were rather difficult to pull off otherwise. We still have no good insight into the topology and power of our networks. Facebook is modeled on a psychologically naive (semi-)symmetrical "friend" relationship that has brought us here to glorious 2017, kekkity kek

The Polytopolis bakes a much more deliberate identity-based organizational structure into the foundations of the system, which makes for a much wilder ride up the hierarchy. But the structure is built to do some much more serious organizing work. The images in my head of the polytopolis are all fractal fibers of muscle, expanding and contracting in beats.

I bet NONE of my critics have taken acid since the thread started.