Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I liked the thread with the guy who needed to rehome his dog because taking it for walks was cutting into his WoW time.

Which resulted in a goldmined report thread. :allears:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Doesn't matter.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's just his psychic powers talking.

That's a solid foundation for a lame joke.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's a funny forum quote.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

That one will never stop being hilarious. :allears:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Eh. Considering the fake "early versions" of some of her earlier books that went around the internet, and that she likely had a part in writing some of them, I wouldn't be surprised.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ouch

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Guy Mann posted:

Source: The cool, funny, and definitely sane OP the the Ghostbusters hate thread after five months of almost daily posts about how terrible the new Ghostbusters movie will be

:stare:

That dude has issues.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

mind the walrus posted:

Posing superheroes look like action figures. Water continues to be wet, cigarettes will still kill you, and your girlfriend keeps lying about your sexual performance. All this and whether or not a lit stove is hot, tonight on "no loving poo poo."

:frogon:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Looking at the context of this, he was replying to a black dude who was kicked out of a tabletop gaming club for "making other players uncomfortable" by not being comfortable with the idea that slavery wasn't really all that bad. Within that context, this post is... neither as bad nor as funny as it would have been otherwise?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I love SMG's posts. There's something magical about how angry he makes goons just by saying weird stuff about their favorite movies. :allears:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

mind the walrus posted:

This is the real problem with SMG. There's nothing really wrong with his gimmick and I enjoy it, I even enjoy the challenge to movies I like because I don't see things through his particular brand of autism. The problem is that he and those who like him (or like fanning the flames around him) quash any possible discussion via sheer force of personality and numbers. It's lame and I'm glad that more of SA is tired of that poo poo.

I don't follow any CD threads, so I guess that explains why I got the exact opposite impression. I only ever see his funny/weird/kinda-sorta-makes-sense-if-you-squint posts quoted outside of CD, and a bunch of goons falling over themselves to tell everyone how bad SMG is regardless of the quality of the post.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

It's kinda amazing how this series of posts ends up predicting the rise of Donald Trump, AKA Fake-Duke.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

mind the walrus posted:

blah blah blah "never start a community where being an idiot ironically is the point because eventually it will be filled with actual idiots who think they've found their home."

Nah, that can work perfectly fine, you just need to be proactive in getting rid of the actual idiots. That ain't happening if those guys are the ones running the show, tho. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Bel_Canto posted:

this news mostly went around back in may, but if you all haven't seen it yet, there is a recently-discovered pseudo-Aristotelian text that is probably of great interest to the members of this thread

Numerical Anxiety posted:

I'm not really sure of about ps.-Aristotle's attempt to divide the eristic from the logos trollikon in this work; the way that semainein is used here is in contrast to Metaphysics Gamma, which might reflect later stoic influences on the peripatetic school. If we're to follow the authentic Aristotle on the nature of what it means to sign, the troll indicates in epideictic fashion, which would indeed lump him with modes of argument which we find in Gorgias' Encomium to Helen, Antiphon's Tetrologies and the anonymous Dissoi Logoi. Still, a really interesting text.

Disinterested posted:

The posting superstar is is the troll whose virtue so exceeds that of his peers that he can be said to be the greatest of all; but in normal circumstances, it is best not to overly elevate a troll, since he may be encouraged by his position of power and the heredity of his office in to the corruption of the constitution of the forum. So then it is often better to prefer a mixed constitution, that allows all trolls to participate in the governance of the forum with the best participating according to their virtue, but without the tyranny of the posting superstar.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

RandomFerret posted:

Here, I made one

Beautiful :allears:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

1stGear posted:

Weird Al slipped a cunnilingus joke into one of his songs, so he's okay in my book.

One? Pay closer attention, man.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
How about just :grover: ?

It's a, uh, vanity smilie, for a very specific kind of vanity.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Outrail posted:

Does my dad just search the forums for posts containing the phrase 'my dad' to comment on? Coz that's what I'd do.

<insert your mom joke here>

Nah, I only do it in threads I read,. Even then, it comes up way more often than I'm willing to try to make a joke out of it - goons loving love talking about their dads.

I actually avoided making such jokes for over a year because some goons were sending me "Hey, someone said "my dad" in <thread>, you have to post there" messages.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Nothing forces the family of the victim to accept the payment. And you might also find yourself politely de-liveified in front of a cheering audience under the same rules.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
<Squashing Machine busts into quotes thread>

:argh: FEMINISTS!!!!! :argh:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Avshalom's posting is still gold, so I see no problem with that. :colbert:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

A number of FYAD guys were thread regulars, and the thread would often follow up on seriously depressing topics with hilarious derails like that one. It struck a surprisingly good balance between serious discussion, comedy, and visceral annihilation of trolls for way longer than anyone really expected it to.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Meat Retreat

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I love this thread. :allears:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Pick posted:

But albinos are super white?

So was Nikola Tesla, and he still ended up Nyarlathotep. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

:cripes:

How can someone be this dumb?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

KM Scorchio posted:

Reading about insane things occurring as byproduct of the underlying mechanics in DF will always be far more fun than actually trying to play it.

These screenshots of randomly generated DF books were made by goons, so I guess they can count for this thread:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The whole setting started when people complained that the fairly grim and dark Warhammer Fantasy setting wasn't grim and dark enough, and the authors reacted with a "You want grim and dark? Here's your loving grim and dark. Have ALL of it." and made Warhammer 40k to mock that poo poo. The setting included grim, dark and gritty figures like Inquisitor Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau, annihilator of planets, and neckbeard extraordinaire, just in case the point wasn't already being made clearly enough. And the constant ridicule was, ironically, exactly the right thing to do with such a setting, and resulted in something unironically good. Unfortunately, being good made it popular, and being popular made it start taking itself seriously, and, well, here we are now. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Hogge Wild posted:

cool birbs :3:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Honestly, the mass produced talking radio clown butt robots might be a better place to start.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Bugs are disgusting.

Spiders are awesome.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Uh, yeah. That's how roller coasters are made :rolleyes:

No, you have to be bitten by one to become one

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Bertrand Hustle posted:

That guy had armchair psychologists speculating about how his posting was classic schizophrenic word salad.

I mean, they were technically correct, since that's what he was trying to produce. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Deaf to America?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Trig Discipline posted:

Is there a version of :smith: where he deserves it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I think all goons are hot.

Except me :smith:

edit: oh, and this guy.

What else can you expect from the guy that hosed your mom?