Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Aw man I don't get the snake in the grass pic :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

willie_dee posted:

To be fair, some submissions you cant tell if you are applying it correctly, so maybe he thought "what idiot doesn't tap maybe I need to pull harder"

Yeah I've had that before, had a guy in a Kimura and he kept trying to get out even though it was in pretty well, so I applied pressure, then he yelped and started tapping really hard. Coach got into him for being an idiot not me for continuing to apply it.

I've gone out trying to fight out of a guillotine though but in my defense I was rolling with my instructor (black belt) who I am pretty sure wasn't going to kill me and I wanted to test how far I could go in a choke fighting the hands before I fell asleep in his crotch. spoiler: not long. But for anything joint or tendon or bone or anything else related -you're a retard if you don't tap when they've got you you don't "lose" in training the whole BJJ mantra has always been you win or you learn.

Also on Mark Hunt, he's been in Thailand for a lot longer than normal. I'm almost sure for the Stipe fight he didn't do anything except hit pads for a couple hours a week 2 or 3 weeks before the fight and for the fight in Mexico he had a really short run up to the title shot.

In the past I wouldn't be surprised if his trips to Thailand have been less "training camp" and more "hit pads in between naps", he looks a lot leaner than he has in years and from videos he's posted he looks a lot, lot faster and lighter on his feet. I can only really remember one other time he's looked like this in the UFC in the lead up to a fight and that was when he tore his knee and had to sit out and promptly got huge again.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

coconono posted:

I'm convinced Tim Kennedy never left a well guarded base during his entire military career. People that do the kinda stuff he brags about tend not to talk at all because poo poo is so distressing.

He definitely did work but I think his whole persona of "FREEDOM! AMERICA! FREEDOM! AMERICA! FREEDOM! AMERICA!" is how he deals with it. Also there's currently some studies going on into PTSD trying to figure out why regular military end up so badly mentally affected and special forces units have such lower rates and part of it they think has to do with the fact that regular combat troops end up in a more constant state of fear and stress because they spend so much time on patrol and occupying in some capacities - waiting to be attacked, whereas SF tend to get given short surgical missions where they're very much the hammer instead of the nail. It also takes a certain personality type to get through selection both in testing and mental process to get through the physical side.

It's a very different mindset to be given specific intel on the people you're going to kill or capture and having to do that specifically than say being assigned to a patrol base or occupying an area and getting ambushed, threatened by IEDs and seeing civilians torn up in the cross fire.

Not to get too bogged down in this discussion, but him not having PTSD isn't exactly an indicator of him being full of poo poo, it's probably more a bi-product of what he's been asked to do.

He's also a grade a dickhead.

mewse posted:

The kicker was that she didn't understand his question

If he just asked standard questions instead of trying to be funny he'd be a good journo. Him trying to make himself something of a persona is really loving grating. No wonder Dana calls him out on it all the time.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

not wanting to talk about what you did isn't necessarily ptsd, just like screaming about murica / freedom doesn't indicate a lack of ptsd. the only inferences i'd make on tim kennedy from his persona is that he either contracted 'dickhead' from the traumas of war or he was always a dickhead.

Yeah I realise that, I was more speaking generally I suppose with my point on PTSD. He's definitely a dickhead and was likely a dickhead all his life.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

She got punched stupid because for the last 12 months even a blind person could tell you she has 0 head movement

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Anyone watch the press conferenxe to see danas tears?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dangersim posted:

I saw an interview with winklejohn and he said they were indeed hiding some cards in her previous fights

Yeah theyre full of poo poo. Holly lifted today more than anyone has in the ufc in a long, long time.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fatherdog posted:

lmao is MagicalRay seriously playing social media director because that is amazing

Anyway, just got down catching the replay, it looked like Holm had Rousey's nose bleeding in the very first minute. The weirdest thing about her performance is that she appeared to be hurting Rousey not just with kicks but with punches, when she's never really seriously appeared to hurt anyone with punches even in her boxing career. I'm not sure if that's a function of Wink and Jackson teaching her to sit down on her shots and her just never doing it till now, or Rousey hurling herself forward into them with such vigor, or a combination of both.

I never saw her box or kick box but is it possible she used to use the Bisping strategy of volume over power to wear people down and drag them into the deep waters but knew she had to hurt Rousey and changed to a more power based approach?

Ronda is still good but ive literally said after her last few fights her failure to move her head at all would get her killed. I also said theres no woman in the division with the power to do it, guess i was wrong about the latter.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ronda rousey is mentally 5 years old shes not going to quit. Shes going to come back for the rematch.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Perfect.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Nierbo posted:

Cut off the cage instead of following, tuck her chin, use the clinch more effectively.

She should just go train at serra longo for her next fight where she'd learn all of these things from the greatest coaching duo in the history of the universe. The way weedman cuts off the cage without eating shots against strikers like Machida and Silva is next level poo poo.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

1st AD posted:

Weidman has been training there forever though. Ronda has like half a decade of bad habits to unlearn.

True, but I would argue that footwork and chasing down a fighter correctly are two of the more coach-able aspects of MMA and striking in general. You're not going to teach a fighter how to be a BJJ black belt in 6 months or how to go from being a pure grappler to a world class boxer, but you sure as poo poo could coach her to cut an angle and key off someone's shoulder to slip a punch. It wouldn't be easy but that was an ugly as poo poo performance and imo she'd be better off improving that than trying another tard rush.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

1st AD posted:

GSP didn't really spend most of his camps with Greg Jackson though.

Nah he pretty much trained with Firas at tri-star and then went to Jackson for the last few weeks for game plan help for some of his fights.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yeah Rousey wasnt "always bad". Same way that are the Gustaffson fight Jones wasnt bad.

A fighter capable of fighting the perfect way to beat Ronda excuted a game plan flawlessly.

Styles make fights is a saying for a reason.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fatherdog posted:

How much could it have possibly cost to get the best plastic surgeon in /Australia/

Probably would've been a whole lot cheaper, there'd be plenty of surgeons with experience in the area. Kind of dumb imo.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ewar Woowar posted:

So who is likely to be Bones' first fight back? Straight into a title shot with Cormier I assume?

I would like to see him move up to heavyweight and, I'm my ideal world, be knocked out by Mark Hunt. Realistically I would love to see him fight a fit Cain. But uh actually realistically for Werdum to clown him.

I hate that I can't picture any of those things actually happening :(

Cormier would be the big money fight, unless they want to hype it then they'd throw him Bader or something so he could destroy him in 30 seconds and build it up.
Jones has been saying for the last few weeks he's about 228, there were also stories that came out after his coke fuelled car accident that he basically hosed around and partied till about 3 weeks before some of his fights. It wasn't a lone thing either. Cerrone pretty much confirmed it not that long ago too.

On what Ronda should do:
We hear this when every champ loses, oh someone's fighting GSP they should go a wrestle for the next 12 months, oh they should go work with freddie roach. It's always raised and it's always dumb. A few fighters have thought they had a great base that they could ignore and focus on ONE other aspect and it's lead to them becoming a shittier well rounded fighter. Miaia tried for years to become a better boxer and got wrecked on the feet, then he went back to focusing far more on clinching and wrestling and started winning more. Koscheck focussed solely on striking for a long while thinking no one could out wrestle him and got wrecked by GSP in wrestling.

MMA isn't some lovely RPG where you train for a few weeks and put points into a stat and you never get worse at that aspect of your game, you need to keep training at a high level what you're good at to keep sharp. Anderson Silva had brilliant reach and excellent timing when he was at Chute Boxe but couldn't wrestle for poo poo so he got hosed by anyone who could when he still liked to walk forward throwing looping bombs in Japan, so he refined his striking and learned how to augment it by becoming more of a counter fighter he learned to fight outside and allow the fighter to come to him, he learned how to intercept where people were vulnerable looking for the take down, he found a way to not have to learn to be a great wrestler because he was good enough to keep the fight where he was dangerous. Machida became more dangerous by adding more offensive elements to his kicking game when he dropped down to middle weight. GSP closed the holes in his boxing by working with world class guys. Chael learned to defend submissions (well, better anyway) and learned how to get inside by being good enough throwing punches. Condit for instance has always been a great brawler but we're just now starting to see him use his elbows and knees in close when cutting angles and he's looked great because of it

I can't really think of a fighter outside of BJ Penn against Fitch who completely changed how they fought in the lead up to a fight and found success.

The list of fighters who improve by improving what they're good at is longer than the list of guys who've become more effective because they've changed their style. More so later in their professional career.

Ronda doesn't need to go work with Freddie Roach or Ernesto Hoost and become a kick boxer. She needs to clean up her technique, learn how to move her head of centre line, learn how to cut off the cage, learn how to be more patient, sure. There's a lot of holes that need closing, but deciding to go full power double would be dumb. I'd wager she'd be better served going to work with someone like Team Quest or AKA and borrow some of that smothering against the cage, learn how to tie up properly so she can smother someone's punching and movement so she can get into postion to land her throws and execute her game plan. I'd argue her problem was that she had learned enough about striking to be a danger to herself and not enough about how to make what she's good at more effective.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yeah Dana has allowed coaches and stuff to do it in the past if they've asked and hes even offered some. He has talked about it in the past said something about he always gets to do it so he doesnt mind giving the chance to someone else.

Podcast on the plane is pretty cool. About half way through from my morning drive.

I like listening to Dana talk about the fight business its funny hearing how simple some stuff actually is compared to the big conspiracies etc some idiots like to make things out to be.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

willie_dee posted:

What was that native American film originally?

I want to say it was a "don't litter" campaign.

also

laffo

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

maybe it is in the ufc .. i wouldnt wanna work for them.

You'd want to work for the UFC if you were in the fight game. No promotion has ever treated their fighters better.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Cole posted:

Find me someone who was arguably the best in their sport and wasn't a total rear end in a top hat.

Mayweather? rear end in a top hat.
Rousey? rear end in a top hat.
Tom Brady? rear end in a top hat.
Michael Jordan? rear end in a top hat.
Barry Bonds? rear end in a top hat.
Tiger Woods? rear end in a top hat.

You might find one person here or there, but the vast majority of athletes who are arguably the best at what they do are assholes, and I'm sorry but I don't really think that's an accident.

Cam Newton - not an rear end in a top hat
Oscar Dela Hoya - not an rear end in a top hat
Sebastian Vettel - not an rear end in a top hat
Dan Henderson - not an rear end in a top hat
Roger Federer - not an rear end in a top hat

There's plenty, but your point is a valid one, you generally have to be a bit of an rear end in a top hat to end up being the best at anything. You can't get to the top in any field without pissing on someone's shoes.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ali was a huge oval office to Joe Fraizer and yeah some of it was self promotion and hyping fights but he took it way, way, way too far.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

now i really dont want to. -______-

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lol

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Captain Log posted:

Say it ain't so. Proof please.

Please be wrong.

He tries to tip these days but usually he throws the money to a bus boy walking past instead.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Captain Log posted:

Hey Blindsite - Chaels stories about Kelvin being a lovable Tard are in his podcasts with Uriah Hall and ESPECIALLY his podcast with Luke Barnatt.

Apparently one night his bath to cut weight wouldn't work because the hot water went out. He was twenty pounds over or something. His response was to sneak off and cook a burrito with hashbrowns.

Hahahahahah. Thats awesome. Cheers I'll give em a listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

TheRationalRedditor posted:

imagine if diego's heart and chin were combined with actual fighting talent. now thats paper

Yeah i said in the ufc 93 gdt that if you gave prime time hall diegos crazy willingness to receive and do harm you'd have a contender.

• Locked thread