Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

i never knew about that. in stun gun fought smart hed win but its a crapshoot

I predict Kim will will a close decision and Masvidal will complain a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Eat This Glob posted:

I've never trained submission grappling ever, but isn't a twister just a "pain" position and it's hard to really gently caress something up?

Absolutely not, it's a spine crank.

quote:

Obviously, if you're in pain your body is saying "get the gently caress out of this situation," but I remember people lol'ing at Garcia getting tapped with it because of the clock/him not being in real "danger."

Those people are morons.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

serious question, are any of the subs people say are just "pain" positions actually really just pain positions because bas rutten kept saying it about the achilles lock and not only is that not true but he can't walk

I'm not gonna say there aren't /any/ "pain positions" because I'm sure somewhere some Japanese Jiujitsu guy is teaching newbies a chop-down choke that operates on confused beginners tapping out from discomfort, but in general if a submission has a name it will genuinely gently caress you up if it's taken too far/too long. Some can be taken much further than people often do in training, and some are more difficult to get right than others, but they're all gonna snap something or put somebody out.

The most common things I hear the "it's just a pain move" stuff about are straight footlocks and bicep slicers and both of those will absolutely gently caress you right up if the person applying it actually knows what they're doing.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Kurohashi posted:

Both Cruz and Faber threaten with mixes of striking and wrestling

Actually I think one of the biggest knocks against Faber is that he DOESN'T do this. He threatens with striking or he shifts gears and threatens with wrestling, and he's pretty threatening with either, but he never really mixes it up and certainly never with the facility that Cruz does.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

There's no position to defend, he's 100%,objectively right and you're being an unnecessarily antagonistic dickhead who can, and I repeat gently caress off with that poo poo

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

lolling at this, then the cascading list of all the champions that would be terrible on a talkshow. how many trashcans has weidman poo poo in and would it be enough to base a personality around?

Weidman comes across as plenty likeable in interviews just being Diet Matt Serra, he'd probably do fine on talk shows. Honestly every champion above 170 comes across as very personable when doing media and the UFC should probably be trying to get them on more mainstream shows, although Werdum probably would do better on the spanish language ones.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

-Atom- posted:

who else is going to sing the praises of Dominick Cruz, Carlos Condit,

Who, indeed

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
As a disciplined military man, Tim Kennedy is singularly focused on finding and punishing poachers human traffickers hitler ped users fedor

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

also phil in a striking sense is a much more defensively sound striker and he spent the entire time looking hurt and extremely scared.

I don't think that's actually true any more; Bader's technique looked a lot better against Rashad. Admittedly Rashad being rusty as hell had a lot to do with his success in that fight, but he had a much better stance, better balance, and he wasn't hopping off the ground with his shots any more.

Skip My Posts posted:

Will rumble gas if he can't blast Bader out quickly

Depends entirely on whether or not Bader can put on any kind of pressure. If Johnson's power makes Bader tentative enough that Johnson can control the tempo of the fight, he'll be fine. If Bader can pretend to be a burly Clay Guida and have Johnson constantly fending off doubles, even if he's successful in doing so he may well gas out.

EmmyOk posted:

I think my most goddamn moment from Rumble wasn't even the time he punched DC across the cage but when in round 3 even after being wrestlefucked he just flexed his way out of a kimura. Also DumbWhiteGuy can we please have Werdum doing Werdum face with Gaston as his picture next month? tia

lol

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I don't actually think Rumble's wrestling is that good at all; it's just that everyone aside from DC has gotten a taste of his power and been doing all their shots from ten feet away, which is going to make anyone look great at defending takedowns.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

i think it's fair to say at the least that he's 'not deficient'. but you're right in that there's no real yardstick for it.

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting his wrestling was actually bad, just that how it looked against Phil is not at all indicative of how it's going to look against someone willing to punch their way into range. Which of course may or may not have any bearing on the Bader fight, since Bader is no DC on the feet.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

-Atom- posted:

it's not "gimmicky" to say that Gadelha beat Joanna Champion

No, just wrong.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
"I know 90% of my posts are transparently idiotic contrarianism, but why won't you guys engage with me seriously the one time I express a sincerely held reasonable opinion?"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
http://fightland.vice.com/blog/mike-swick-brings-us-inside-mark-hunts-ufc-193-camp-at-aka-thailand

Long-ish, Swick talking about AKA Phuket and Hunt's training camp.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Yet Another Longish Weight Cutting Article

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/11/...ission-fighting

Mostly Lockhart explaining how he believes oral rehydration is actually better than IVs.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I'm interested in whatever his mystery carb loading regimen is. He's just using standard WHO-ORS and thus not loving with the tonicity of the glucose component, so it's not from the fluids, and he's not concerned (or doesn't know anything about) glucose sodium cotransport. Where you at, George?

He went into it a little in a previous article, I think, although not in great detail

EDIT: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/8/3/9088923/the-intricacies-of-weight-cutting-with-george-lockhart

quote:

THE PROCESS FOR REHYDRATING WITHOUT AN IV

The first step is to work out how much glycogen someone's body can hold. Once you know someone's lean muscle mass, you know roughly how much glycogen they can hold. It's usually around 13g of glycogen for every 1kg of lean muscle. If someone is particularly lean or muscular, or if they had another camp shortly before this one, it can be more like 14 or 15 gm of glycogen, because the body will adapt how much it can store based on the demands you put on it.

Once I have the amount of glycogen that person can hold I add another 20% to that number. That's how much glycogen their liver can hold. Now that I have the total amount of glycogen needed I divide that by 8, because I'm going to give them 8 meals and shakes between weigh ins and the fight.

Basically, I'll create 2-3 shakes for an individual based on how tough their cut is, and if they're bloating or not. So, we've found out this is exactly how many carbs the person needs. I want to refuel them at a ratio of 4g of carbs to 1g of protein. So, if we've got the number for how much glycogen somebody needs to reload by fight night, I find out how much carbs they're having in each meal. Now, I divide that by 4, and it will tell me the amount of protein that I'm going to need for each meal. That 4:1 ratio is going to help the body reload.

It's been found that the 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein is the ideal ratio to reload the muscles with glycogen after they've been depleted, whether that's by a weight cut or by working out. The protein, specifically BCAAs, help open up pathways in the cells which the carbohydrates use to reload the muscles with glycogen.

Another problem is that protein makes you feel really full. Normally that's a good thing, but when you have 24 hours to reload all of the carbohydrates in your system feeling full is the last thing you want. Ideally you want to get the exact amount of protein for your needs, but no more than that.

We want to keep fats to a minimum. It's a slow burning source of fuel, so it will affect the digestion process and slow everything down. If you only have 24 hours to reload, you don't want a whole lot of fat. You don't want to be chowing down on nuts and things like that.

We've got the amount of glycogen and protein the person needs for each meal. When I start creating the shakes, I use the nu-salt, and now we'll be giving a teaspoon of sea salt or regular table salt in each one of the shakes. That will give 2500 mg of sodium. You want to make sure that each one of the shakes is ice cold. I'm going to add an equal amount of the nu-salt, which is the potassium, in each shake. They're going to taste extremely salty. They're not pleasant. If somebody has a digestion problem, you spread it out even more. That right there will equal close to 1000ml iv bag. You get the chloride, the sodium and some potassium (which the iv's don't provide). Usually with an iv, I'd end up loading people on potassium.

So they've got the first shake, which is going to have about 20 gms of waxy maize. The waxy maize gets into the small intestinal tract very quickly, so it's not going to affect the digestion or the absorption of all the electrolytes, and it will also prevent bloating. Then I give them about 5 gms of BCAA. The person will take digestive enzymes with this shake.

If you chug something fast, you're going to bloat. It sits in your stomach, then your body is going to push it out, and it won't absorb everything properly. You've got to make sure there's no chugging, just normal drinking. If they start bloating, they've just got to sit back and let their body digest. From there, they go on to the next bit.

About 10-15 minutes after they're done with the first shake, I give them a Rockstar recovery. It's easy and it's convenient. It's going to give them all their B vitamins and it also has caffeine, which increases the rate that your body absorbs glycogen. From there, they go on to their next shake.

That shake will be the exact same as the first one. If they're not bloating at this time, I will give them dates. Dates are loaded with potassium, but they also have a perfect ratio of calcium and magnesium. You usually want to get a 2:1 ratio of calcium to magnesium anytime that you're reloading the body. You're getting a good ratio there with the dates, and it's also reloading the carbs nicely with the sugar that's in them.

If they're feeling good, and they're starting to get that hunger back, especially if they had a hard cut, we might kick back on the third shake for 45 minutes. Once we hit 45 minutes, they can have their first meal, and they will take digestive enzymes here again. I usually give them some green ‘superfoods' loaded with digestive enzymes. There are also pills that do the same thing, but I prefer to avoid them.

I'll generally have guys go and eat out after this, mostly for psychological reasons; I don't want them sitting in their room thinking about the fight the entire time. I take them out and they have a light hearted time and it takes their mind off of what they have to do tomorrow.

The next day I give them the same foods I would give them on a regular training day. The adrenaline is going to be up so the portion sizes are bigger, but we still keep that 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein, They'll eat every 2-3 hours.

They have their biggest meal about 5 hours before the fight, and they'll probably feel a little bit too full after that. What that meal does is kind of overload the body and makes it work to process all of the fat. That means that 5 hours later at fight time the stomach is empty but the body is full of the micro and macronutrients they need.

About 10% of your metabolism is spent breaking down food, so if the body is still breaking food down at the time of the fight your body can't put 100% of its energy into what you need for fighting. Digesting food also requires a certain amount of blood flow to the stomach, and again if that blood is going to the stomach, it's not carrying oxygen to the muscles. When you get butterflies in your stomach, that's actually your body routing blood away from it to your limbs, but it's best to not give your stomach anything to do at all during the fight.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

manyak posted:

no one cares about the Hendo belfort thing tonight right?

fatherdog posted:

Hendo is going to get wobbled, nearly fall over, punch Vitor so hard his mohawk inverts, and then point to his balls. Bless.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
EDIT: Phoneposting glitch

fatherdog fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 16, 2015

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

vainman posted:

It's such garbage that Cerrone has an IV exemption. What's even the point if they just give some fighters a pass?

I'm sure dozens of other fighters will be rushing to have most of their intestines removed so they can get an IV exemption.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

vainman posted:

All of Cerrone's future opponents have to come in lighter than him because he fell off a bike a couple years ago

lmao

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

vainman posted:

I'd think it was obvious, but he regularly rehydrates up to 175 before the fight starts

https://instagram.com/p/qfw7cGuffw/?modal=true

So does every other lightweight.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

i thought dutch kickboxer syndrome was when you got murdered by organized criminals

Based on the kickboxing thread most people involved in Dutch kickboxing would be better described as disorganized criminals

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Is Mirko trying to singlehandedly pay off Croatia's deficit or is he supporting five mistresses or what. He's made millions but it seems like he's constantly on the hustle.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I go back and forth about how much I expect weight cuts and cardio to matter for this fight. On the one hand, since the Hominick fight (the one fight where Aldo looked really bad in the later rounds), his cardio hasn't been particularly bad in five rounders - on the other hand, I feel like he's fought at a noticeably slower pace since then so it seems like that's down more to him getting better at pacing himself. Being forced to fight in such a way that he doesn't control the pace could certainly have him gassing again.

On the other hand, in a fight I would expect to take place largely on the feet, how does it play out that affects the pace in a way that would seriously gas Aldo? I guess if he spends a lot of time trying to use kicks to cut off the cage against Conor and failing, he'd be moving a lot more than he's used to chasing him down and that could wear on him, but if Aldo spends the early rounds failing to land leg kicks and chasing Conor into countershots he's going to be in trouble whether he gasses or not.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Meowbot posted:

why did rousey practically attack holm at the weigh ins? I just watched it and there is no audio but sheesh she really came off as a jackass since holm did nothing and orusey just ran at her with her fists in her face and started yelling at her

There is a GDT

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

This sucks poo poo, Mr. Glass Thiago Alves is broken again so Bendo is fighting Masvidal, which is a decent fight itself except now instead of two kooky 155 vs 170 fights there's two 155ers fighting at 170

To be frank I was expecting Masvidal to lose another couple close decisions at 170 and then go back to 155 claiming that 170-ers are cutting from 205 and just too big so this just prolongs that process

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

it will and that's exactly why you're going to see "cyborg" (ray elbe) suddenly get really vocal on social media

lmao is MagicalRay seriously playing social media director because that is amazing

Anyway, just got down catching the replay, it looked like Holm had Rousey's nose bleeding in the very first minute. The weirdest thing about her performance is that she appeared to be hurting Rousey not just with kicks but with punches, when she's never really seriously appeared to hurt anyone with punches even in her boxing career. I'm not sure if that's a function of Wink and Jackson teaching her to sit down on her shots and her just never doing it till now, or Rousey hurling herself forward into them with such vigor, or a combination of both.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

What are the best sexy Carlos fights to rewatch?

Condit/Miura doesn't get nearly enough love

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

maffew buildings posted:

Check out his fight with Pat Militech and the following fight he had with Matt Hughes, they had great finishes

lol

Also,

jeremybotter posted:

"I wouldn't say in the striking game she was getting the best of Ronda, you know, but I have to watch it again” is what Edmond said today.

lol

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Timetable for module B603 - Applied Beastin'

11/16/15 - Module Introduction and Basics of Beastin'
Professor Anderson

11/23/15 - Beastin' Through the Life Cycle
Dr. Severn

11/30/15 - New Concepts in Beastin'
Dr. Eastman

12/7/15 - Space, Time, and Beastin' - Extradimensional Perspectives in Beastin'
Professor Anderson

12/14/15 - Beastin' and the East - Cross-cultural Beastin' Practices
Dr. Sapp

12/21/15 - End of Module Exam

lollllllll

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

attackmole posted:

I'm a little confused by people who think that this is a tragedy for the companies profits. Rousey cleaned out most of the division and it was getting boring hyping up random people. The rematch is gonna do huuuuge business.

Now if she loses a second time, then, yeaaaaah we're gonna have a transition period.

Yeah, it seems to be really common that people are laughing at Dana and the Fertittas rather than seeing that they just made a shitload of money and are set to make an even bigger shitload. Fans are dumb.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

dirty bob axe kicked one of the japanese spirit warrior guys, matsui maybe, in the back of the neck after the bell

He stomped Matsui in the back of the head, after the bell, while the ref was trying to pull him off, while holding onto the ropes.

Schrijber ruled.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I would probably pay $5 extra for a picture-in-picture of Chuck watching whatever PPV I'm watching

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Holm has always been good at keep distance aka cowardice. Jack Slack pointed out that any limitations the ring gave her were freed up in the much bigger cage.
Even if you're running the whole time, if you keep some footwork discipline and you have experience boxing, you'll know exactly when you can stop and return fire on an incoming opponent.

Holm's cross has always been pretty solid. So she keeps Rousey a step and a half outside of punching range, just luring Ronda to keep coming after her, abandoning any gameplan.
Then she fires into Ronda's poor defense, tagging her, then backing away quickly or circling to the right, outside of Ronda's jab.
This basically goads Ronda into stepping up the pressure, but without any wiles or planning for cutting Holm off, Ronda just wades or jogs forward, struggling to get inside that 1.5 step buffer Holm is maintaining.
That's the first phase:
- land the cross from range and keep encouraging Ronda to throw discipline out the window
- enter into wide punches (like the finishing cross or the elbow) or jam up attempts to close distance
- build punch combos off Ronda's lack of defense and refusal to neutralize Holm's reach advantage with kicks
Of course, hugely to Holly's credit, she also gets herself out of dangerous grappling situations to return to the striking domain.

At some point, Holm's success pushed Ronda into another level of urgency. Now she's throwing big punches and telegraphing the poo poo out of them.
All head shots, too, with elbows flared. But the biggest aid is still telegraphing. Holm has seen enough punches to have the timing and spacing down cold.
When Ronda throws a big shot, Holm has plenty of time to duck and pivot out.
The one in the second round is the culmination -- Ronda is trying to smash her hook onto Holm's guard, stunning Holm and letting Rousey get both hands on her. But Ronda's become so predictable at this point. She's coming straight in from far out, starting the hook very wide and very high. The entire volume under that arm is free. Ronda's body is moving forward, bringing that escape hole closer, and Holm knows there's no kick coming on that side -- Ronda's not a kicker and she's fully committed to trying to take her head off. So Holm ducks and pops forward off her back foot. Ronda tripping is from not having the momentum of her punch get stopped by landing on meat, throwing her upper body around and spinning off of a still planting front foot.

In a mirror stance situation, if your opponent is a headhunter and you know a kick is not following a wild lead punch, there's no safer escape than ducking and shooting to the outside of that lead punch. It's incredibly effective -- I've done it myself countless times to guys much better than me simply because they became predictable about coming in with a single heavy shot.

Good post. Also, after watching it and keeping Ronda's one interview in mind - I feel like Ronda and Edmund aexpected this match to go exactly the way it did, but assumed that A) Holly's punches couldn't hurt Ronda, and therefore B) over the course of five rounds eventually Ronda would get the throw and then kill her. And, welp.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Your post is pretty good overall but I don't know what you're going for here.

After Condit/Diaz fans of Nick decided that moving in any way that isn't directly towards your opponent in a fight was cowardice although sometimes it's difficult to tell who's ironically referencing this and who unironically has decided to believe it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Yeah, I'm not sure where this "Ronda needs to be angry with her opponents!" thing comes from; she's been pretty professional with everyone except Correia and Tate before now.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

CarlosCondit posted:

For those of you gloating @RondaRousey loss this weekend, keep in mind, the only one with the right to gloat is @_HOLLYHOLM and she's not...

CarlosCondit posted:

Just my opinion. My heart is filled with pride for @_HOLLYHOLM not only for her performance but for the way she carries herself #TakeNote

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

manyak posted:

Yeah rousey deserved some humble pie but its funny seeing Bethe correiera or whoever start going off on her on twitter, first of all she just beat you up a couple months ago way more embarrassingly, and secondly her losing just makes you and the rest of the division seem like even more of a joke than everyone already thought so good job throwing fuel on the fire of you never getting a decent paycheque again

Beche seriously tweeted something like "Rousey tricked herself into thinking she was actually a decent striker" and its like hmm yeah probably, but keep in mind the reason she did that is because you were supposed to be a good striker and she instantly knocked you out with no effort

manyak posted:

Welp looks like rousey sucks now, im happy to boast about this to everyone even though it means that by transitive property I suck an amount previously thought impossible, going back to my job as a Zumba instructor/bryan caraways girlfriend/A-list actress now

I have genuinely never understood the impulse in people to claim that people they've lost to are bad. Every time I lose to somebody I hope they sweep the division and tap everyone else in ten seconds.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Serra spent two solid minutes slipping GSP's jab and bashing his ribs, then the second GSP brought his elbows down to protect his body he came over the top with the shot that hurt him. You don't spend half a round patiently setting up a "lucky shot".

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Replace the cage with a moat and give both guys as much blue Thai dick medicine as they can drink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Fozzy The Bear posted:

On the Joe Rogan podcast, Dana White said they flew the best plastic surgeon in Australia to sew Ronda Rousey's lip since it was cut. I wonder who else they would do that for.

How much could it have possibly cost to get the best plastic surgeon in /Australia/

• Locked thread