Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

quote:

Nero finally had to poison her to get rid of her.
Nah, he panicked and sent some dudes by to kill her.

FreudianSlippers posted:

-The Spanish conquered the Aztec empire in about 2 years. It took them about 170 years to fully defeat the Mayans. Mostly because the Aztecs had a fairly centralized state but the Mayan civilization was a huge mess of loosely connected villages and once mighty but decaying city states It didn't help that the Mayans were a lot poorer than the Aztecs which meant less loot which is very bad for motivating soldiers.
Also because the Aztecs were not exactly popular with their neighbors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Yes, but why male models? :v:
Serious? We just told you that a moment ago.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Why are they always so smug.
Because they have access to knowledge kept secret for millennia until it landed in the hands of some schmuck who spilled the beans in one or more lovely books.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Tias posted:

You have to disregard the existence of the Golden Dawn and Ordo Templi Orientis, where, you know, he learned them.
Happily.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

I don't have a source on hand, but I'm 99% sure that quote is actually from the Albigensian Crusade.
It's attributed most commonly to either Simon de Montfort or Arnaud Amery, but as with many other such turns of phrase, it's probably apocryphal.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

syscall girl posted:

Hashishins were ancient ninjas who would get stoned as gently caress before they did the dirty deed.
This is almost certainly not true, as is the competing story that potential assassins (more on this later) were drugged with hashish, shown some phony bullshit sound stage paradise, then told when they sobered up that they could get right back to the party if they died murdering someone. It's really on par with the Messalina/Scylla sex contest in terms of likeliness. The real story, as completely as it can be known, is much more interesting.

The founder of what became known as the Assassins was Hassan ibn al-Sabbah, a Persian-born convert to Ismailism. in 1090, after years of infiltrating the fortress of Alamut, he turned up on the doorstep and suggested that it might be in the best interest of the castellan to skedaddle, which he did with an IOU to be redeemed by a wealthy patron. He would spend the rest of his life there.

They were feared across the Umma and Outre Mere, but not because they sent doped-up chumps to do their dirty work. They were meticulously educated in local languages, customs, modes of dress, you name it. They were trained to blend in, watch, and wait until the right moment presented itself. That was the real scary part--there was no obvious suspect to look out for.

Of course, Hassan eventually died, and he was a tough act to follow. The Assassins persisted for a couple hundred years afterward, during which time they dialed up their doctrinal differences right the gently caress up to 11--if I recall correctly, denying the divine origin of the Quran, the validity of the Five Pillars, the 12 Imams and the essential deliciousness of pistachios--and were eventually displaced from Alamut. By that time, though, they were a pale remnant of their former glory.

Alamut still stands, a potential UNESCO Heritage Site, and one of the places I would most like to visit on the planet.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

The Mentalizer posted:

Sabbah was also extremely pious, and kept strict watch over the behavior of his followers with zero tolerance for anyone who broke the rules. Considering that he (allegedly) had his own son executed for consuming alcohol, it's pretty doubtful he would have tolerated hash use by any of his followers (let alone his most trusted fedayeen).
Exactly. Thank you.

For perspective, the Islamic prohibition against alcohol (which is, nota bene, an Arabic loanword) wasn't really universally enforced. Omar Khayyam wasn't put to death for his poetic fondness for bread, verse and wine. Neither was Rumi (note well, "The Roman"). Hassan was a single-minded, studious, and utterly devoted person. I think he would have been absolutely horrified by the actions of his successors, because every step of his religious progression was dictated by his understanding of the correct succession from the Prophet.

quote:

Reading that essay, it sounds like he got most of his info (especially the idea that Sabbah's core philosophy was the idea that "nothing is true; everything is permitted") from the 1938 fiction novel "Alamut":
Not even that. He probably got it from William S. Burroughs.

quote:

I definitely recommend giving Alamut a read if you're interested in the assassins, it's a great story but bear in mind that the reality wasn't quite as sexy as Bartol made it out to be in his novel. If you want to read something less sensational and based more on the actual history of the Nizari then I recommend The Secret Order of Assassins: The Struggle of the Early Nizari Ismai'lis Against the Islamic World by Marshall Hodgson.
Supplementing that, The Crusades Through Arab Eyes.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

The Mentalizer posted:

Oh yeah, I've heard good things about that one. I actually have it but haven't had a chance to read it yet, and I don't like recommending books I haven't read myself.
I actually found it by happenstance at a thrift store in West Hollywood about fifteen years ago. Thrift stores are a great place to get books, by the way. Dirt cheap enough to wade through multiple copies of Peyton Place and ludicrous self-help books. I am still kicking myself for passing on what I eventually found was a first paperback printing of The Velvet Underground

quote:

Fair enough, although I think it's a pretty safe bet that Burroughs got it from Alamut.
Indubitably. Burroughs was an educated, well-read who also happened to be a new-age flake well before it was fashionable. Her was briefly a Scientologist. He totally bought into Orgones. He was pretty much the Milo Yiannopoulos of his era.Not even the Quentin Crisp.

History is one of the most disappointing sciences. Even when you cut through all the bullshit propaganda, it's still all the same sad poo poo.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

#notallnazis

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

While we're on the topic, if anybody is interested in Alan Turing, it's worth mentioning that The Imitation Game is a bad movie and don't bother watching it. You're welcome
It probably would have been better with a different cast and the subsequent perceived need to shoehorn in Cumberbatch's signature brand of haughty pseudo-autism.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

An effect of this was that the Coliseum shows got real lovely.
I can assure you that the quality of shows in the Colloseum remained entirely unchanged, by virtue of it not existing yet.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

VanSandman posted:

Temporary amphitheaters. For really big ones, maaaaybe the Circus Maximus. Rome in the late Republic and early empire didn't have permanent theaters like the Greeks did in the city.
There were at least two in the late Republic: Pompey's Theater and the Amphitheater of Statilius Taurus, both located on the Field of Mars. Caligula was building his own amphitheater, but construction ended along with him.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

VanSandman posted:

Both technically outside the city, unless I misremember!
You do not. The bounds of the pomerium definitely did not keep pace with the expansion of the city.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Chichevache posted:

I'm surprised he isn't a Pats fan, what with "Heil Hitler" being a part of his name.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulla%27s_first_civil_war

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Bertrand Hustle posted:

No lie, the most racist people I knew in high school were stoners.
I knew this big, fat fucker who loved Hitler almost as much as he loved his knit rasta cap.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Lol if you don’t have a manservant named “Enrique” to crank your meatspit.
How terribly nouveau riche. I have a Kensington who spits on my meatcrank.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Keru posted:

Whatever cranks your hog.
Though far lower in station, Hazelton is still a human being. Whoever, please.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

What's a Nubian?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

You think that is something there was a year where they went through 4 emperors in one year.

That doesn’t even count Nero.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Where's the Finno Korean Hyperwar?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Former DILF posted:

Before caesar the republican system had yearly elections and two heads of state so really these :eyepop: "FOUR EMPERORS IN FOUR YEARS" :eyepop: periods were just a kind of accidental return to the old ways
Elections continued during the Principate and consuls--despite very much reduced in authority--continued to be appointed right up to the end.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

I don't recall exactly when the elections stopped, though. Maybe under Tiberius, along with the rest of the neutering of the assemblies.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Samovar posted:

See also people buying their way into Ottoman beauracratic slavery so as to avoid other social obligations.
Now I may not be remembering this right, but the Ottoman bureaucracy was staffed with slaves for the same reasons as eunuchs were used elsewhere--to prevent consolidation of power along family lines.

It was a clever system, because in order to rise through the ranks, you had to convert. Your children would be raised Muslim, and therefor unable to be enslaved. So, the occasional ambitious parent would try to arrange to have his child snuck in with a new crop of slaves.

Again, as far as I can recall.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

So what sort of hat should you wear to compensate for a penis that's of average length but is really thin? Asking for a friend.

quote:

gripping each end with one hand, raised it deliberately to his face and drank from the bunghole.
:getin:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Alhazred posted:

I guess we're lucky that there weren't any bakers present after battles in ancient Egypt...
:v:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

Also his children are super ugly.

(Count Ingolf of Rosenborg and Princess Elisabeth of Denmark)

(Count Christian of Rosenborg)

I bet the monarchy would've been abolished real quick if Ingolf was about to be crowned.
Are you... royal?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's sad that most Americans can't pronounce poo poo right.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

It's a shame no one picked up on the Boney M reference I used
It is a shame how you carry on.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

dee eight posted:

I watched the TV series The Swamp Fox in the 50s or 60s. It was pretty cool for 6 y/o me, and a history lesson of sorts.
Am I wrong or was that Leslie Nielson?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

What about being basque
Are there many Basques in Iceland?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't believe those guys ever actually existed.
Oh, they exist alright. I punched one in the face!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

rude and highly inaccurate

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Vandalism can be fun and cool

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Sulla Faex posted:

A few years ago I was naked with a mate in a night club coming down from mushrooms and keta and god knows what else, and this guy comes up to us, high on coke, and starts an argument with my mate about which operating system is better, windows or mac. And after ten minutes of this ANOTHER GUY comes up and starts arguing with the first guy about linux

Human beings. I can only imagine the arguments from 100,000 years ago over which is the best stick for making fire
I think you're kinda burying the lead here—what kind of nightclub lets you get naked on drugs and how much is the cover charge?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Zombiepop posted:

Well kitkat in Berlin, but like dont go if you dont want unsolicited blow jobs.
Well I'm hardly the most desired demographic in those sorts of establishments

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

BalloonFish posted:

Stephen Fry: He was a French writer trying to make a point, and therefore a massive git.
I guess massive gits know their own

Ellie Crabcakes has a new favorite as of 06:06 on Jan 10, 2021

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

That's a cool and good take

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

i am absolutely not advocating for that (hence the quotation marks), i was just trying to give context but im a little buzzed lol
Okay what are you drinking, because gin makes me horny and whiskey makes me unruly and I wanna know what's gonna make me monarchist-leaning 🤪

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

zaranoff vodka, the cheapest they had in aldi
You might as well be drinking evian :rolleyes:

Get on the taaka train and let's burn some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The vodka will be cleaner than Evian. (No seriously it's absolutely filthy compared to tapwater. Still legally potable but not something I'd pay for.)
from a certain perspective yes but from a less ridiculous perspective no