Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I just noticed how old the rules thread is and thought I'd stick this up. A/T is pretty well behaved so I don't feel like there's any pressing need for changes, but I by no means pay attention to everything. If you have any suggestions post them here and we will ignore them consider them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Merge with gbs to increase traffic, crosspost with goon doctor for medical questions

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
ban all users with embarrassing inferiority complexes, hope this helps

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
what the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for!?
Gas chamber those "I am doing a survey for my class" threads where they want the forum to do their homework.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Ban Keldoclock from history threads until he's an adult.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
quality posts earn you safeway gas reward points

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

faarcyde posted:

Gas chamber those "I am doing a survey for my class" threads where they want the forum to do their homework.

Hey an actual thing.

I agree on the do my homework threads, but do people really hate surveys? I've always thought there was a difference, if a student needs to interview 20 people on a topic then it's not really doing their homework for them, and this is a good place to find a lot of interviewees quickly.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Surveys can be ok but those threads shouldn't be self serving for the OP. The thread needs to be interesting or promote some conversation.

Ask Tell always has a wide range of interesting subjects that aren't shitted up by GBS nonsense or D&D style essaythons. Threads like this are easily answered by google and self serving.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Copy everything that reddit does with their AMAs.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
This part of rule 2

quote:

Sometimes people post threads in A/T that should rightly go in other forums. Do you have a question about

computers/phones/technology? Try SH/SC or Inspect Your Gadgets.
jobs/finances/business junk? Try Business, Finance, and Careers.
travelling somewhere? Try Tourism & Travel or the regional discussion threads.
homework/ colleges/ grad school/ science/ history/ language? Try Science, Academics, and Languages (No, we will no do your homework for you here, either).
home improvement/ building or fixing things/ crafts & hobbies, including plumbing & wiring? Try DIY.
how to play an instrument? Try the Musician's Lounge
the Something Awful forums? Try the SAclopedia or our very own forums question thread.
Questions, Comments, & Suggestions - a dedicated and extremely professionally moderated space for your feelings about the forums themselves
Can probably be dropped. It's being totally ignored anyways. It can be good to have a thread for the """experts""" in the relevant subforum and thread more for everyone on A/T, which sometimes happens.

The list of megathreads is also pretty out of date, though with the large number of pretty active megathreads I'm not sure if there's a point in keeping a list?

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
what the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for!?

Grand Fromage posted:

Hey an actual thing.

I agree on the do my homework threads, but do people really hate surveys? I've always thought there was a difference, if a student needs to interview 20 people on a topic then it's not really doing their homework for them, and this is a good place to find a lot of interviewees quickly.

Both water down the forum me thinks but whatever it's not a big deal I just like to bitch about things.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Grand Fromage posted:

I hate people who ask for something and then abandon the thread.

They don't even give a courtesy reply to all the people who helped.

e.g. 'Tell me your views on these abortion questions'

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

faarcyde posted:

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Ban Keldoclock from history threads until he's an adult.

These are good suggestions.

edit: Also ban those survey and homework posters.

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Nov 12, 2015

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Close these threads:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3390702

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3411978

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3390558

The ops are out of date and the ops haven't posted in years in those threads. When you close the threads put a notification in the end where you state that the thread can be reposted by some active poster. There are probably many other threads like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Hey an actual thing.

Maybe the answer would be to allow a single survey megathread wherein surveyors could post their surveys and interested parties could answer? If they're that much of a problem then isolating them might be the answer. They don't bother me though.

• Locked thread