Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Burkion posted:

You know, if for no other reason, those drat covers are the reason Superman is the best super hero.

Literal decades of him being a piece of poo poo to everyone and everything in the best and worst ways possible including multiple accounts of forced animal husbandry with a human, and he's still the paragon of justice and the most famous super hero of all.

gently caress yeah Superman.

Boy, if that's what animal husbandry meant visiting a ranch would be a hell of an experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

computer parts posted:

Since Iron Man came out. The only DC films that come to mind in that period are Green Lantern and Man of Steel. The former everyone wants to forget about and the latter is only really feeling its impact this year (or in a month, rather).

Both The Dark Knight and DKR came out after Iron Man

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well to be polite about it, I didn't go to see this movie with the hopes that Snyder would learn to tune it down. So with that in mind, I know his characterization is not going to stop at one melodramatic set piece, it will encompass several. His take on Batman will not be just the DCAU smartass, or Burton's guy who sleeps in gravity boots, it's gonna have it all. It's gonna have Bruce Wayne driving the Packard from the 40's serials, because the guy loves being Batman. So much so that in his memories he has become s God, and in his dreams, he is not just a hero, he is The Hero. Anyone who opposes him may as well be in league with the Devil (who exists by implication as Darkseid).

So not only is that consistent with and an elaboration on his stated Supertruther character, it also foreshadows what Lex is talking about : true evil, the very idea of evil coming for him whether he's ready for it or not. Because this is a breathtakingly unsubtle movie, the guy has to watch Christ die for man right in front of him to realize even he can be redeemed. He isn't too good to realize he is wrong, cocky though he may be.

I don't remember the last comic movie I saw in theatres but you're talking me into this, man

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I mostly appreciate that it's breakneck and disjointed in service of just throwing out ideas. That is the reason I like comics. I can't blame anyone for being turned off by that but the idea that a comic book movie should be this kind of tasteful prestige film is nuts. Let's just pretend like Batman could leave could interact with something other than gangland clichés. Let's put him in Citizen Kane.

It could be every drat thing. I think that's why Batman is so attractive a character, he's every drat thing. He's a pervert in leather, he's Dracula, he's James Bond, he's Sherlock Holmes, everything.

Right, and actually so is Superman, so are the X Men, etc. He's a god, a super scientist, a commie, a good old boy, a Jew, a cop, a journalist; they're homos, negros, hippies, druggies, artists, fascists, aristocrats, the proletariat. It's why something like Planetary is so confusing, because it posits cape and spandex superheroes as inimical to the wild and wooly, anything goes early comics but that poo poo never went away.

I don't know how it'll work as a movie but I really like the idea of time travel Flash sending Batman warnings about the Fourth World while he's busy doing Dark Knight Returns and Superman is confused cause he's trying to play All Star Superman and no one gets it. Do it all, go nuts

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Absolutely. Do it all. I'm not a stakeholder so it's not at all in my interest to hope they 'get it right' or what have you.

Speaking of which, we'll never see a good Fantastic Four movie as long as they keep trying to figure out how to "get it right". Don't get it right, get it all. Go broke or go home

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Speaking of your speaking of, the first 45 minutes of that ain't bad at all.

Haven't seen it yet but Chronicle was cool. I guess it got studio hosed juuuust this side of an Alan Smithee credit?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jenny Angel posted:

I mean, now that I give it some more thought, he could easily just tie the rope round the tire, so it's starting to seem increasingly likely that his workout plan includes brutally assaulting a huge tire that he's still gonna use for something else

Yeah that's like, a real thing people do. For reasons

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=laKp-3ISdTg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih0yVvolkxg

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jenny Angel posted:

I mean, the problem is that regardless of whether or not she's meant to be seen as a reasonable arbiter of truth and policy (and I'm not entirely sold on the idea that she represents the Bad Ending when this is a movie where Captain America handwaves the firebombing of Dresden away in one sentence), regardless of whether her take is what should happen, it's what does happen. Former SHIELD personnel are seen slotting into careers with various defense and intelligence agencies, so her claims of necessity pretty much go unquestioned

If Captain America does have a desire to bring about true reform rather than deregulation, obfuscation, co-opting of reformist impulses, etc., then the movie is still fundamentally pessimistic in that gives him no real power to effect that once he opens up the vacuum. Instead, he prioritizes finding Bucky and Black Widow prioritizes filling that vacuum with pretty much what was already in that vacuum except fewer double Hitlers

Bad Hydra storms into the Good Hydra control room, and the Good Hydras rebel and they start shooting each other, and everyone knows who's a Good Hydra and who's a Bad Hydra. That's not a mistake, Good Hydra always knew about Bad Hydra, and worked alongside them anyway. It's an apologia for complicity - like how Barack Obama, according to the official mythology, has always dreamed of "going Bullworth".

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yes, and they had a son.

Did Batman and Wonder Woman have a kid? Kid making involves chemistry, as liquids are mixed to make new stuff. Ergo, owned bitch

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Boogaleeboo posted:

Pretty much every single super hero is a fascist fantasy, yes. Even Superman and his tinge of Kansas farmboy morality is innately fascist, playing to a patriotic image of blue collar idealism in what we are and what we stand for. Hence his radio tagline evolving into "a never-ending battle for truth, justice and the American way.". He may be an alien god, but he's an American alien god! As it turns out though, people seem to really like fascist fantasies.

Fascism and nationalism are not identical, and Superman doesn't, or didn't initially, advocate any kind of class truce or subordination of class interests to national/ethnic solidarity. I mean if idealizing industrial and agricultural workers is fascist, a good half of the whole spectrum of politics is fascism.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The ideas in the movie are not that interesting, I agree. What I keep coming back to is that it feels like a pilot for a TV show, storywise.

People keep saying that SHIELD show got good after it came out so maybe it should have been. I agree that the elevator and Georges St. Pierre fights are good but otherwise it does nothing for me. I really like Scarlett Johansen for example and she's dull as a ball in WS

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

computer parts posted:

Different stuff is interesting, especially when the industry standard is boring.

At a certain level I agree, novelty in and of itself is a trifle and something like Creed or Fury that's wholly derivative but has a nuanced perspective on the well trodden ground it covers ends up in everyone's favorites every year. The real problem with what he's saying is it's a strawman, no one is saying things are good entirely because they're different.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

K. Waste posted:

You're leaving out the most important part: Where the trafficking survivors are so petrified by "the devil" that they don't want to leave their prison.

Contrast this with the devotional gaze that adorns the faces of the people Superman rescues and inspires. Bruce is totally alienated from the people he protects, because his entire inspiration for being what he is is to, like, traumatize people into not being criminals.

Hey guy, glad to see you're back

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

brawleh posted:

Like the idea Superman should have tried to bargain with Doomsday, ignores a lot of the themes and narrative strands setup earlier in favour for something pointless. Fighting Doomsday, engaging in a fight(to the death) as a reflex in order to save Lex's life, it's one in a series of defining moments for the character. Also, again, Doomsday was born from both Lex and Superman. However it's something very different from either of them, Doomsday is pure undead, unending, immortal death drive. A threat far greater than Zod or Lex.

It also suggests that when faced with the the embodiment of his own negative self image, Superman should compromise with rather than destroy it. Since he is the Superman Alex desires, Batman fears, and Clark rejects, he isn't a "person" but a projection of those ideas. accepting evil in yourself or context isn't some virtuous toleration, a la accepting your flaws and loving yourself (even if you're bad!), it's corruption. Superman utterly rejecting tha image is the first step to his rebirth as a figure of radical change - destroying corruption in himself (or the idea of his self) allows him to fully confront the corruption of his context.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

brawleh posted:

Just follow through on your thought, there is something sad in that scene after he rescues the child and yes and you are right to have this feeling. But don't stop short because of this feeling, complete the reading. The sadness, the look of concern, stems from Superman(Clark Kent) being overwhelmed by their idea of him, that he is a (False)God in their eyes. This is because he isn't this figure, Superman can't rescue every child from a burning building, every drowning bus, every 'kitten from a tree' etc.

So again the importance of the intervention in Africa comes into play as ignorance is not innocence. If Superman, as this (False)God, is saving Lois Lane or the child from the burning building he's not saving everyone else(everywhere else). Why would God let other bad things happen? why does he let other people die? why does he let a child grow up with a cruel father, is he a cruel father? There must be a reason and so on.

So here's the central conflict of the movie, Christian love being the only way to save ourselves from Original sin. This is why Lex creates (Your)Doomsday, the False God come to life, because if God is all-powerful he cannot be all-good and if he is all-good he cannot be all-powerful.

You were right to quote John from Watchmen as well, sorry to repost these images, but there's a very important distinction to be made here. Superman stands where the Viet Cong are, he's very much so in the landscape of his ruined home, he shares in their(everyones) struggle and suffering. Doctor Manhattan is from beyond the horizon, hitting the Vietcong with the blinding power of American Sunshine. It's important not to confuse yourself over these two images and to think they mean the same thing.

CelticPredator has been very explicit that he views Superman as a Personal Jesus figure, and is comforted by the notion that he could protect us all like a guardian angel. "His Superman" is Superdad, but at least he has the self awareness to know that.

The scene makes you sad, CP, because Superdad is superdissapointed in you. You're an adult, and he just wanted to be your friend and colleague, but you're putting all this dad-baggage on him and it's bumming him out.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I would love to see 50's style Super-My Three Sons Jungian Nightmare.

Yo not really related to anything but is Year of the Sex Olympics available anywhere with subtitles. I keep trying to watch it and I can't understand half of what's being said in the YouTube version

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I'll see if I can just add an SRT to it.

You're the best baby. I can't use headphones at work and my hearing's a bit poo poo from Youthful Mistakes

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Okay, but according to the montage by the guy in the computer, it's been Hydra for decades, the entire span of what we've seen of it. The idea that SHIELD might once have been good, generations before we ever saw it, doesn't change my point. It's not like the extrajudicial drone program was a good thing that was corrupted: it was developed during the period in which Hydra was firmly in control and it's precisely what Cap is talking about when he says SHIELD has to go.

I believe Civil War, like Age of Ultron, might gently caress this all up. But Cap doesn't go to Stark Industries in Winter Soldier, and that's the movie I'm talking about. And that movie is all the better for treating the idea of drones assassinating people from the sky as an evil not worthy of serious consideration.

But somehow all the good guys in drone murder control room all know who to shoot at when crossbones or whoever comes in. HYDRA as a bad disease infecting good SHIELD is right there in WS. I haven't even seen AoU, but the redemption of SHIELD. Is baked in

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh dang.

Let's compare them side by side:

On the left: the Archangel St Michael (leader of the Army of God) defeats Satan, aka leader of The Fallen. On the right: St Michael kicks the poo poo of of Metropolis

Edit: also note that they changed St Michael from a blonde to a black haired guy and changed his bare legs to blue leotards. Also Satan in the original is a guy with a passable resemblance to General Zod who also has bat wings but they didn't port that over to the film so I guess we can't read too much into it

Of note: St. Michael is binding Satan in chains, but St. Clark has no chains

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Phylodox posted:

Then it must have gone downhill over the course of less than a decade, because I've got three issues from back in '95 and it's pretty much just tits and stoner philosophy.

Sandman is mostly tits and stoner philosophy except no tits and instead of being high you're having tea at a coffee shop and the unimpressed barista you're pining for is sneaking off to burn one down on her break

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Sir Kodiak posted:

I see it as being more like an awkward high school reunion than being about kink. Like, I made a joke about Superman's costume in my post, but I think in the scene itself he comes across as SUPERMAN, not some weirdo.

Yeah, the point is that Nolan's Bruce Wayne is able to put himself in prison, even before he's received any of the League of Shadows training, and take on half a dozen guys by himself in a fight in the mud. It makes for a fun movie, but it's criminality tourism, not, like, Bruce learning what it means to hit bottom.

That said, and it was just an offhand comment, but Batman being raped in prison would not be his rock bottom given the kind of guy he is. Batman raping someone in prison would be his rock bottom

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It still blows my mind that some people (probably a vocal minority) are so butt hurt about Snyder that they think he hates Superman. The moment when our cynical world finally starts understanding what Superman stands for tells you that Snyder probably loves Superman. A big hero-worshipping art deco statue is replaced by the Kryptonian symbol for hope and the inscription "if you seek his monument, look around you." That's like a concentrated shot of Superman in your arm, for goodness' sake. It's the movie literally signposting "hey guys, Superman wants to inspire all of you to do the right thing." That's what I go to comic book movies for.

Yeah but that's easy to get - the monument basically says, sorry dudes there's no god. We're on our own, gotta make this work ourselves. If you wanted Superdad, your own personal Jesus, that poo poo is grim. And dark

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Equeen posted:

Really? To me, the monument says "Superman is inside all of us, and we should do good deeds to honor him."

Same thing, different perspective.

It's clearly based on ura nage and starts as one, but then he extends his arm and transitions the guy above his head and over the other shoulder. It's like the principle of the ura nage but then halfway through he realizes he's super strong and doesn't have to gently caress around with this weight transfer poo poo and decides to show off

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Well for one, it's the best-looking superhero movie. There's really no contest except from Snyder's other movies. In addition to just visual beauty, the movie's sheer love for movement is stunning. I think only the traintop fight in Spider-Man 2 comes close in non-Snyder comics movies.

I don't know when you last watched the Raimi Spider Mans but all of them are chock full of wonderful movement. Despite its reputation SM3 has nothing but amazing fights and rescue scenes, for example.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Avengers, having an ever increasing lust for car homicide, move onto planes.

Avengers V Crash, secret villain is A.T.R.O.C.I.T.Y., the triple Nazis behind HYDRA

They make lampshades out of Audis, then gently caress the lampshades, the sons of bitches.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

K. Waste posted:

Saying that 'Some Americans objected to the War on Terror' doesn't absolve our hegemonic complicity in the War on Terror. It doesn't matter what you believe, the War is, and there is still no end in sight.

You may not be interested in war, but war is interested in you. - Leon Trotsky, sort of, but not really.

In our eyes, individual terror is inadmissible precisely because it belittles the role of the masses in their own consciousness... and turns their eyes and hopes toward a great avenger and liberator who someday will come and accomplish his mission. - Trotsky, but for real

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The point of all this is the awareness of the implications of a new technology. Think of Miles Dyson being shown the robotic claw, and how he immediately vows to erase his research. The myth of Area 51 is that the government is hiding these discoveries, because 'the public isn't ready'. There'll be panic in the streets and blah blah blah.

I'd just like to note that this is the reason I was given, during a recent conversation, for why "scientists and the government" are hiding the reality that the world is flat and surrounded by a giant ice wall. We can't handle the truth, no matter how weird and trivial that truth - when of course the real truth is, as Alan Moore said, "The main thing that I learned about conspiracy theory is that conspiracy theorists actually believe in a conspiracy because that is more comforting. The truth of the world is that it is chaotic. The truth is, that it is not the Jewish banking conspiracy or the grey aliens or the 12 foot reptiloids from another dimension that are in control. The truth is more frightening, nobody is in control. The world is rudderless."

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

teagone posted:

Like I said, the renegade cut dude comes off as trying to ape the style and quality analysis of Every Frame a Painting (down to even the way Tony Zhou enunciates) but ends up being a cheap wholesale knock off.

Although I usually really like EFAP, his video on Michael Bay is extremely similar to this video. Lots of examples of a Bay film using a given technique, then some other movies using that technique, then a vague "but in the Bay movie it's bad, and means nothing, because he is dumb"

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Guy A. Person posted:

This has nothing to do with your overall point but I just wanted to gush about one of my favorite issues of a comic ever which came from this run.

It's the one where it follows an alt-Earth black Superman (who is also president on his Earth) who goes up against this evil robot Superman who has been traveling between dimensions killing each Superman he encounters. So you think it's going to be about this Superman getting killed and then showing up to fight our Superman. But then, no, President Superman just defeats him and the issue is over. It rules.

Morrison thought he could take Superman back to his left populist depression era roots, but also thought Obama as Superman made sense. No surprise that the former didn't work, in that context. I like Morrison but his radicalism has always been an identitarian, liberal radicalism - ahead of the curve on sex and gender issues, drugs, etc but lacking a class politics that includes poors who aren't queer or self identifying freaks. He thinks the answer is more niceness and tolerance and respect. That's not in line with the anger and class antagonism of that early character and they can't be easily reconciled.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Weird since Morrison grew up in Glasgow in the 1970s-early 80s and his father was jailed multiple times for being a communist agitator among the working class there.

(Actually not weird. That's why Morrison probably got at an early age FULL COMMUNISM NOW is not actually a good position).

I mean I won't speculate on his feelings on his dad or his personal/public positions but that's what I see in his work and yeah, it's not implausible for that to be something of a reaction to his dad's experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

K. Waste posted:

I like how that still looks like a really good movie.

My favorite thing might be the juvenile insertions of utinee and bantha poodoo into the ominous voiceover. Don't say Zach Snyder doesn't know what he's doing. He knows EXACTLY what he's doing.

• Locked thread