Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I was about to post that the little title sequence for the next episode was my favorite, but then I remembered the ones for episodes 1 and 2 and nevermind.

#3 is good too though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

masam posted:

Like shooting the mercenary with acid or electricity?

I never played the main-series Borderlands games before trying Tales (My friends repeatedly warned me off trying them) and didn't know the Shields/Flesh/Machines element triangle, so I shocked the piss out of him instead of burning him. Doesn't make any difference.

I'm also vaguely disappointed that there aren't any Achievements tied to the Roshambo, like using every element on a certain character.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Touchgoal!

:colbert: Y'all better find some way to replace Fiona's hat.

Also, since it wasn't chosen/flashed by very quickly, there's an 'enhance!' option during the 'Loader bot, pull up!' scene, giving you the option to continue that running joke should you wish.

Pandoran gun nuts, can any of you identify that huge shotgun that Vallory executes Vasquez with?

Make her head spin.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Quiet Python posted:

The shotgun is the same one Vasquez pulled on Rhys and Vaughn in the desert. I think they called it the Conference Call?

IIRC The Conference Call is the red Hyperion shotgun that the Stranger is using. The Penetrating Overcompensator is the energy rifle with six barrels, this shotgun is a different weapon.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
:allears: I was waiting for this episode because It has:

1) Gortys
2) Pandoran Roadtrip Title Card

And those are both great things. Episode 3's Title Card is tied with Episode 2's card for my favorite, in fact.

Partners with Jack. What's the worst that could happen? He's opening up to Rhyse, he's (if not repentant) then at least reflecting on his past misdeeds.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Steampunk Princess and the Cyberpunk'd.

I actually managed to miss the new arms for Rhys at this point on my playthrough! Everything after the m8r-D paint scheme, in fact..

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
The eyeball thing is hella weird.

Funiculars are Cool.

We should Spare Cassius.

I want to like Tina but she's just... obnoxious, to me.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I didn't play any of the other Borderlands games, so I was only sorta-aware of who Brick and Mordecai are/were, so I maybe didn't quite get the full impact of 'Oh poo poo!' when they showed up for Athena.

Gortys is a treasure.

You know, 'eyeball in the pocket' thing aside, Rhys and Fiona are graduating more and more into being competent action hero sorts rather than 'pants full of random crap' adventure game heroes.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
So because they where on sale and I really enjoyed Tales from the Borderlands I got gifted Borderlands 2 and The Pre-Sequel.

I'm tentatively going to play Salvador in 2 and the cowgirl lady (Nisha?) in TPS, two of my friends have tentatively aggreed to play with me as Gaige and Zer0, I don't know if they'll follow me into TPS or not.

So yeah I'm interested in Vault Hunter chat to inform my decisions of Who is a Cool Dude to have Shoot Adventures with.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Jack's our holographic buddy! We need to Tell them so they can appreciate what buddies we are with the nice AI man.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Unrelated chat, but I mentioned earlier that I'd gotten some friends to tag along with me to Pandora for Shootmans Adventures?

Finally got everyone together for a run. Game is fun! Team ended up being Salvador / Gaige / Krieg.

Two things: One, Gaige is the screamiest little girl. Two, one bark she had about a 'science fair' led to me asking my more-Borderlands-knowledgeable friend about it, who explained Gaige's backstory, which segued into the colonization of Pandora itself.

I'm not sure how much of that is okay to get into here without it being spoilers territory, but I'm starting to take the stated fact that Pandora is a poo poo-hole with a small grain of salt: It's certainly an absolutely awful place but the rest of the galaxy doesn't seem that much better.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Skin Pizza is grosser than scooping someone's eye out with a spork WAY WORSE. UGH. Faaaaace.

Onyx Overlord, but nothing else. Fiona's got nice duds already, even if she looks kind of Jakobs-y.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
'New person playing borderlands' digression again:

Playing the pre-sequel (Playing as Nisha, considering starting over as Aurelia because sniping is SO GOOD on the moon and when you're not desperately trying to keep pace with the living buzzsaw that is Krieg)

I've gotten a bit into the story and I had a realization. This is it. This is, in one image, the summary of The Handsome Jack Story.

x

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I have to seriously question some of y'alls life choices regarding eyeballs at this point.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Press [F] to pay respects

Catch a Riiiiiiiiiiide

Klaus88 posted:

Mad Moxxie is gonna be pissed when she finds out we got her son killed.

poo poo, this hadn't ever occurred to me before. I hope that come Borderlands 3 we don't end up with a mission to shoot Fiona in the face for her part in this.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Edmond Dantes posted:

Ah, forgot to ask: Is the ship fuselage they fly through in the title card a reference to anything in the games? Or just random space debris because Borderlands?

Considering that Henderson is STILL FLOATING AROUND OUT THERE and it's... What, at least a week since the game began, factoring in the travel montages? it doesn't look like Hyperion cleans up the space surrounding Helios at all. That may well be chunks of the original constructor fleet that got shredded by Dahl when they took over the station in the Pre-Sequel.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Kaubocks posted:

oh my GOD I cannot believe I forgot to ever mention that Dahl attacked Helios

They killed a lot of people! :downs:

Yeah I thought the whole thing with Hyperion hating Dahl was a corporate rivalry thing my first playthrough. Now that I've dipped a toe into the Pre-sequel it turns out it's rather a more 'The Dahl Lost Legion attacked and seized control of the station'.

So, you know. On one hand, systematic purge of noncombatants by a trained military force. On the other hand, they probably killed a lot of Claptraps too, so.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Captain Bravo posted:

It might also be the ship from the pre-sequel. This may be spoilers, but it's just the intro video to the pre-sequel so it's not really spoiling anything. They don't look identical, but they do look pretty similar, and the ship gets destroyed by Dahl so it might be a callback to that?

While the shuttle from Pandora might technically not be part of the fleet, it's still a Hyperion ship destroyed during that same attack, so I didn't feel like calling it out as a separate possibility.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Cangelosi posted:

I think this was explained earlier, but the voice actor of Scooter had cancer, and the Borderlands team decided to give the character a proper heroic sendoff.

Or, I think that's how the thing goes. I was wrong about the Raisin Varner thing earlier in the thread.

Oh.

Well that makes the whole thing MUCH sadder. :(

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Felinoid posted:

Doubly so because we don't know who the stranger is. Maybe it's Vaughn! Or Sasha! Or Sasha sitting on Vaughn's shoulders! :3:

Ewwwww. I don't want to think of two people crammed into that suit. On Pandora? So sweaty. Gross.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Don't make me pick. :(

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Stick to the Prod.

and Tell Her, because she deserves to know why we're sticking the knife in HER back.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

I love our trash family of screw-ups and misfits. :allears:

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Kaubocks posted:

Does vengeance come with a price?

Are we still on Pandora? Then no, probably not.

I mean I guess technically we're not on Pandora, we're in geosynchronous orbit, but.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Trust Jack. Rule Hyperion.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
So I actually just finished Borderlands: TPS and I have to say that I'm glad Jack stopped using the back wall of his office for sticky notes. Ruined the view. The, uh, giant statues of himself sure are a thing, though.

I'm also inordinately fond of Nisha's hat and Angel's picture in his office. Jack's an rear end in a top hat, but even he has people he cares about. Or, well. Cared about...

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Edmond Dantes posted:

Become who you were meant to be. Rule.

This vote should count double because they did a neat fanart. :colbert:

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Pizza, please, Kaubocks?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Loader bot and Scooter where the scenes that choked me up the most during my playthrough of this game. This is definitely the Darkest Hour of the game, even if we're stopping mid-segment for pacing reason.

So, to completely break the mood, when discussing Jack's awesome executive chair with a friend last chapter I mistakenly said that there was a dedicated button that caused it to digistruct pizza on the desk, misremembering the scene you get if you choose to order pizza as your first big decision as President of Hyperion. In actuality, you choose the option from the computer monitor and the pizza just kind of falls onto the desk from some vent in the ceiling.

I think that a dedicated pizza digistructor would be cooler, personally, but that's me. Since Kaubocks did not include a poll this update, please amuse yourself by sharing your opinion: Is Digistructed Pizza or Mystery Vent Pizza a more appetizing choice?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Kaubocks posted:

digistructed pizza may look delicious but has been known to lead to dangerous situations

I thought those where holograms. :confused:

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
In retrospect I think that it's a bunch of comparative nobodies that actually 'blow up' Helios is odd, considering that the Vault Hunters where apparently planning on going to do that around the time of the Bunkers and Badasses game with Tina wrapped up and then just...never got around to it between the end of the BL2 DLC and 'current events'.

The time frame is weird, the nearest I can figure out is that the events of Tales are occurring around roughly the same point in time as Athena telling her story at Sanctuary. Lilith is being a bitch running the Crimson Raiders, Mordecai and Brick are working for her, Gaige and Axton are off capturing Aurelia off-world, Zer0 seems to be hunting for the Vault of the Traveler/investigating the Gortys Project on his own.

That means that Maya, Salvador, and Krieg are unaccounted for right this second. Also Claptrap and Fake!Jack, I guess.

The idea of Helios slooooowly falling out of the sky while Athena rambles and none of the Vault Hunters present noticing it is pretty funny, though.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

anilEhilated posted:

Not that weird - Fiona is a vault hunter in her own right, complete with an F skill.
Plus, y'know, being a Vault Hunter kinda lost its meaning when they let Claptrap in.

...Would her F skill be the weird precognition thing that she can do or the Roshambo sleeve pistol she's got?

Maybe the pistol would be one of those skills that alters Fight For Your Life or something.

EDIT: Also Helios falling out of the sky is totally Rhys' fault, Fiona barely had anything to do with it.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I'd rate Timothy and Krieg as the playable vault hunters most likely to fall off the franchise and not be referenced ever again. Maya's a Siren and that has plot relevance enough that it'd be hard to write her out smoothly, and along with Salvador was one of the four core vault hunters in BL2. Fake!Jack looks like Jack and that incidentally paints a gigantic target on him so it's far too plausible that he got shot in the butt and died in a misunderstanding somewhere. Only Aurelia and Athena even know who he is, at this point.

Krieg I rate disappearing because he's another DLC character, essentially a random-rear end friendly bandit and it doesn't seem like there's any way for the other Vault Hunters to figure out what his actual deal is.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

CuwiKhons posted:

Krieg is WAY too popular to disappear without fan outrage.

I'm having a blast playing as him I just don't think the writers know how to use him once he's moved away from the part of the story where they can use him as a viewpoint character and he might get shelved because of that.

Also Lilith seems to be getting just a touch of the 'I'm the hero of this story' syndrome that worked out super well for Handsome Jack. Athena had reasons for doing what she did? She had her own story? gently caress that, I'm the protagonist, and in MY story you're the bad guy, so you get executed by firing squad.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
...So if our little group of misfits is our new pandoran trash family would Rhys and Sasha getting together become weird?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Borderlands exists in a grim, cynical, frankly horrible universe, and while he did some heinous poo poo it was that way before Jack was in power and it's going to remain that way now that he's dead. It's not a universe where kindness and optimism will ever be rewarded.

The game gives you more than one instance where you can forgive and spare someone who doesn't deserve it. Way back in Episode 1, you have the option of executing Felix for his betrayal.
You can spare Yvette last episode even though she's stabbed you in the back.
And now in episode 5, you're literally holding the life of a helpless enemy in your hands.

I don't think it's an unfitting choice -at all- that the game wants you to actually be the one to pull the trigger on Jack. It's given you the option to show mercy again and again. It'd be odd if it suddenly stopped now.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
So I was writing a thing disputing that Loader Bots are all that much tougher than bandits as long as you can get your hands on an acid gun because they never take cover and some of the bandit variants are just as bullet-spongy, but I'm probably not even halfway through B2 and haven't seen half the Loader varieties yet so I really have no room to talk, so instead I'll ask a question:

Is it just me or is sniping WAY harder in B2 than in the TPS? It feels like the latter game is massively more forgiving with enemy head hitboxes and incentivises headshots more by having them break OZ kits.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I can't narrow it down to just one team! :(

I really want to see Felix / August / Zero for resolution of the story with Felix, August getting to Do Awesome Things during his spotlight segment and further elevate himself from 'Jerk' to 'Jerk With Some Redeeming Qualities', and Rhys fangirling over Zero.

I also really want to see Athena, Janey, and Cassius because I want to see if the game acknowledges you've paired Athena up with her girlfriend and the guy she almost killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
So, on the topic of the Mystery Vault Hunter...

I think those sideways hair spikes in the first pslide mean the first silhouette is definitely Lilith, since Maya's haircut doesn't do that. It would also mean we've got a random sampling of 'Vault hunters that haven't shown up yet' from B1, B2 and TPS from the three slides

It's definitely weird that they show off the cowboy-hatted silhouette of Nisha, though, and not something I noticed before. Of the main four TPS vault-hunters, one is Athena and is already counted for, one is no longer a vault hunter, and the other two are probably dead. of the DLC hunters, Fake!Jack's silhouette would probably been too confusing to use, and then there's Aurelia, who is alive and got dragged back to Pandora by Gaige and Axton after the whole business with the Alien. So, why show Nisha instead of her?

As much as I want Nisha to canonically be alive, because I'm weirdly fond the S&M Cowgirl Bandit-Hunting-Bandit, I suspect it's simply the issue that they thought people wouldn't recognize Aurelia because of her relatively lack of popularity, or that they had issues getting her silhouette to read right in that card and went with a better known (but dead) Vault Hunter.

• Locked thread