Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Wierd request of the day: is there an app that works as a speedometer, with audio cues that would help me keep a steady speed? I would set a speed, let's say 10 mph, and when I get below 9.5 mph it says "speed up" and when I get above 10.5 mph it says "slow down".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

FunOne posted:

Sounds like he is trying to pace himself on his bike. They make dedicated devices for that FYI.

This - I'm trying to pace my runs a little better. I know there are dedicated devices for this kind of things, but I don't want to spend money on it so I was wondering if there's a free app that does this.

It would need to be quite precise though, we're taking plus-minus a half mph here, I don't know if a phone is precise enough.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

It's been a while since I got a survey, thinking about it. Usually I got about 3-4 per week. (The gym I do my workouts at is in the same building as a major electronics store, so about four times per week I got to earn 10 cents by telling them "No, I didn't go to the electronics store this time, either".)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I need an app to record/execute macros. For example, I would put a widget in the home screen, and when I push that it would do "open app 1, push this spot on the screen, wait a bit, push home, open app 2, push this spot, push home, done".

Is there an app that can do this sort of things?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

hooah posted:

^^^ Tasker, probably.

Tried this, but the actions I want to do aren't among the ones Tasker can do and inputting stuff using the touchscreen requires the phone to be rooted and mine isn't. Oh well, it was a good try nonetheless.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

What does Messenger do that the stock Android SMS app doesn't? (Serious question.)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Is there a way to share a PC's internet connection to an android phone over USB? I'm thinking specifically for situations where you have to use a public wi-fi hotspot that costs money but you need to use it on your PC for work-related reasons, but still want to check whatsapp and the like (without having to pay twice).

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

fishmech posted:

This should work on recent devices: http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/73168/how-to-use-pcs-internet-on-android-phone-through-usb-cable

You may need to flash a custom ROM if your current phone software doesn't support it.

Thanks! :)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Considering no one is even bothering to make any new ones, the market agrees unironically.

Google's new product division seems to have the life creed of "throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks." See also: Google Glass.

Also related, and amusing: The Verge's review of Allo. "Google Allo review: This is fine."

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Google Glass was rushed to market over objections of the engineers so that Sergey Brin could give his mistress a high profile position to fail at so that the affair would end.

Wait what? Because of Poe's law and all that, I honestly can't tell if you're being serious.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I added a source you'd find credible.

What in the actual gently caress

I had no idea :stare:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Any recs for a lock screen replacement? I'm currently using the stock Moto G 3 one, but I'd like one that can display more information (like the weather, for example).

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Last time I used the Moto Migrate app to switch from a Moto G to a Moto G3. Worked like a charm, copying over all apps, settings, and even text messages.

So of course Motorola discontinued the app shortly afterwards :argh:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I need an app to back up my text messages to my PC, complete with timestamps and the like. And, if possible, restore them to the phone later. What should I use? :)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

That'll do fine, yes. (My phone company is trying to charge me through the nose for using my data while I was abroad even though I'd activated the "use data while abroad" option, and the confirmation SMS they sent me is the only hard proof I have that I actually did, so if my phone dies I have no proof at all.)

Thanks! :)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

spincube posted:

Something I noticed today: the places you can 'save' in Google Maps don't sync up between the Maps mobile app and Maps on the web.

It's the little things, Google :argh:

They sync for me :confused:

Have you tried troubleshooting the issue?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

spincube posted:

Ah hold on, I think I've found the wrinkle: Maps on the web only saves and retrieves places using the 'Starred' list, which also appears on the mobile app. The Maps mobile app also lets you save places into different, separate, renamable lists, which don't show up at all on the web unless they're also saved into the 'Starred' list which OK yeah is kind of a work-around, but :argh:.

Yet another situation where the thread title applies very well.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

Are there any general fitness apps that are worth their salt on the play store? Any recommendations for one in particular?

Google Fit for general passive tracking (I don't use it for active tracking, though it also does that apparently?) and weight records
Strava for running and biking
Myfitnesspal for tracking food and calories
FitFit for tracking gym sessions

Though it's been a while since I used FitFit since it's been a while since I've been to the gym (I only do cardio lately).

It's me, I'm the gal who uses four different apps because it's a pain to look for an all-in-one app

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Ever since the latest update the Google App crashes on me whenever I try to open it, be it from the app drawer, from a notification, or from a shortcut. Is anyone having the same problem? I'm using a Moto G3.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I've not had the same problem but I'd say clear cache and data and see if it helps. If it doesn't uninstall (or remove updates if that's the only option) and then reinstall/update the app and see how that goes.

That fixed it, thanks.

As an aside, I'm thinking about changing phones. Is there an app to transfer all apps and settings from one phone to another? I have my current phone set up just right and it will be a pain to set up the new one.

Last time I'd used that one Motorola app that came pre-installed on Moto phones, but alas that's been discontinued...

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Unfortunately it depends on the phone you're moving to. I've only ever had Nexuses and my recent move from a Nexus 5 to the Pixel has been the only time it's ever worked in any way close to acceptably. Even then there were a lot of games that didn't have their progress come over and some minor things that I had to tweak here and there. I can kind of see how if you're moving from something like a Moto G to, say, a Samsung or LG where they really gently caress with the settings that you might not have a lot of luck but it wouldn't surprise me if you went to a Moto G5 or Pixel that most of your settings would transfer just fine.

It also depends on what you mean by "set up just right". Are you talking about launcher things or things like custom contact ringtones and oddball Tasker plugins?

I'm moving from a Moto G3 to a Moto G4 Plus. The things I'd want to transfer is mostly the way Nova Launcher is set up, plus all the various toggles and settings inside the many apps I'm using, which are a huge pain to hunt down and re-set the way I like them one by one. I'd also like for my text messages and call history to get transferred over without having to do it with a specific app.

Basically I'm looking for a "clone phone" app to avoid going through the hassle of setting up the new phone. I know that it's way too much to ask (because Thread Title), but a starting point or something would be nice.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

The official Twitter app is becoming annoying, especially now that it hides the @-replies by deafult. (Twitter! Why gently caress everything up?)

Any suggestions regarding an alternate Twitter app? The thread's OP suggests Fenix as best-in-class, does that still apply?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Metal is a wrapper for the Facebook mobile site that is very good and functional, I even sprung some monies for the pro version (I forgot what it adds).

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I installed Fenix for Twitter, and I have a question. Previously I'd set the official twitter app so it notified me when there were new posts from some of the accounts I follow... Does Fenix not do that? I checked in the options and activated "capture twitter notifications", but this way I get no notifications from the Twitter app and no notifications from Fenix (except for the built-in notifications it has, for when someone @s me or DMs me or the like). Am I doing something wrong?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Good afternoon thread! I asked a question in a completely different thread and I was told that it might possibly get an answer if I post it here, so here goes.

Does anyone know how to transfer data from one Google Fit account to another? I'm changing my name and identity across most things but I'd like to keep the data I've collected so far. I know I can download my data using the Google Takeout service, but it doesn't look like there's a way to then upload that data into a new account? Am I missing something? Or is it yet another example of Google.txt?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I might have to do that :sigh:

But seriously, what company in TYOOL 2018 doesn't think about people changing accounts? There are like a million reasons someone might want to.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

LastInLine posted:

You're the same person, why do you need a new identity? The only thing moving to a new Google account does for you in a publicly facing way is get you a new Gmail address and you could just make one of those, set up a rule to send that to your old account (and do the same for sending) and not lose any of your data.

There are lots of reasons a person might want to change their public facing identity but I can see few if any reasons to want to change one's Google account specifically.

For one, if I do the rule thing it still shows as coming from my old account. Like "from: oldaccount@gmail on behalf of newaccount@gmail". I know this because I had two separate accounts for work stuff and personal stuff; I really don't want my account to show up any more, to do that it's much simpler to just move everything over to a new account. I can do that for mail, for calendar, for contacts, for photos, and for all kinds of other stuff, but other things like Fit, wierdly enough, don't allow you to do that.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Can you not imagine why someone transitioning might want to completely get rid of anything from their old identity? (I don't know if that's what Mikl is doing, but it's certainly the first thing that comes to mind to me.)

That is indeed what I'm doing :)

But like CLAM DOWN said, I'm finding it's complicated to transfer stuff over. Mail is no problem, I can set up a forwarding rule, or just keep checking the old address once in a while; calendar's not a problem either, I just stop using the old account's and start using the new account's. Photos aren't a problem either, I set it up so all photos in my old account are copied into my new account. It's just some things (like Fit) that are stubbornly refusing to transfer things over. But I already decided to start fresh a couple days ago, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(Also a pain in the rear end: going around websites for services I want to keep, like Amazon, Netflix and stuff, and changing my old e-mail address to my new one. I'm sure I'll miss a couple by the time I'm done.)

LastInLine posted:

For me the first thing I thought of was stalker ex but yeah, I can understand wanting to edit your details while keeping your data. And like Uthor said it'd be great if the one public facing thing you can't change, your email address, you could. But what the OP wants is to keep their identity, i.e. their data, but change the public face of it. And they can do that for everything except the email address. You can change everything anyone can find about you.

I realised I didn't mention it ITT: the main problem is that my old account is a name.surname@gmail style account and... I kinda don't want to use that name anymore at all, if possible. If it was dumbaccountname@gmail there would be no problems.

By the way, thanks to everyone in this thread, you've been really helpful :)

vyst posted:

Computers only understand binary.

And I chuckled at this joke.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Verge posted:

Does anyone know an app for Facebook that kills video ads? I'm tempted to try Metal for Facebook https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nam.fbwrapper but I'm afraid it'll contain malware.

Yes, I know that Facebook *is* malware or other crapppy poo poo.

Also this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.rignanese.leo.slimfacebook

Metal for Facebook is just a nice wrapper for Facebook's mobile site. I've been using it for years now (I have the pro version) and I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

liquidplumr posted:

It seems to? I use and haven't seen any on there,but I also haven't used the FB app in years

Same, and same. (As in, no video ads with Metal but I haven't used the Facebook app in a long time.)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Thirding Strava. I use it for running, but it can be used for biking too.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Hello I am here to complain about the new Fit. Specifically, how it completely threw out the integrations it had with other apps.

Previously it synched with Strava, so all my Strava activities were counted in the Fit total. No longer! Now I either run with my phone, or the app thinks I'm a lazy bum who sits on her rear end all day. Also it used to synch with MyFitnessPal so when I put in my weight in Fit it would automatically be carried over to MFP. Also no longer does that!

The new Fit app looks very neat, but is significantly less useful than the previous version. Google! :argh:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

True, Strava is linked. I didn't notice before, because the new Fit doesn't give you any points for Strava activities (as opposed to the old Fit, which did). I ran five miles yesterday and my Cardio Point total for the day is one.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Skarsnik posted:

Last ride i have on there from Strava is listed as 120 move minutes and 119 heart points?

Dunno what's wrong with mine then. Two runs in two days, zero minutes and zero points from them.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

because google lol. outside of a few core products, their collective behavior is like an over-caffeinated middle schooler

See, this I don't get. Fit wasn't a perfect app, it had a couple of issues, and was far from complete as it didn't have several functions that most people want in a health app. But it worked. What it did, it did well and within any fuss. Now with this "upgrade" they've broken everything. Is it so difficult to test something before pushing out an update?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Since we're on Facebook, is there a Messenger client that isn't Messenger itself or Messenger Lite?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Nova laucher does that. You can set up a gesture or something to launch whatever you like (for example I can double tap on my home screen to bring up the Assistant voice prompt).

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

H13 posted:

It wasn't gestures to launch apps, it was gesture search for apps.

EG: If I wanted the clock app, I'd draw a C on my home screen, all apps starting with C (sorted by use) would appear. It was great because I never had to look at an app drawer. My 5 most commonly used apps were on the home screen so it's been a while since I've gone through an android menu system...

Oh, ok. Definitely misunderstood what you wanted. Sorry, I don't know of any app that does that!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

wtf is this poo poo I have literally never seen this

I have seen it. On an online banking site.

I hope it goes without saying, but I'm no longer a customer at that bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Heners_UK posted:

What would Google have us message on now then? Hangouts still exists, but that aside?

Hangouts exists for now. Click for info.

There's a reason one of the Android threads was titled "Google! Why gently caress everything up?" until some time ago.