Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Is there a good index/flashcard app? Ideally one that will sync between a Chrome extension or Windows app via Google Drive or something similar? I guess something like Keep, but for index/flashcards. Preferably that allows graphics, but that's probably asking too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I read an article about how poo poo a lot of the VPN apps for Android are; is there a good one out there somewhere?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

azurite posted:

If you have the functionality built into your router, OpenVPN is solid. That way, you just tunnel through your home ISP for no additional cost, rather than a potentially untrustworthy intermediary.
That's perfect, actually; looks like my Archer C9 supports it, and one of the reasons I wanted to do this was so I could use a Pi Hole, anyhow. Thanks!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Man, it's gotta suck for app developers who have this one idea for their app that people use, and then Google comes along and streamlines the whole thing, ties it right into everything else they're using. I know Waze has a few non-gamified features that Google Maps doesn't have, but I don't care, I'm probably going to use Google Maps before it. Same goes for Drive vs Dropbox. Integrated support for Google Docs? Yes please.

Google bought Waze, probably for the purpose of integrating their real-time traffic tracking.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I checked the OP and the last few pages and didn't see anything: is there a good audio recording app that won't spy on my poo poo (i.e. no camera/location/phone access)? I don't mind dropping a few dollars. I just want something where I can set my phone (Pixel 3 XL, if it matters) in the middle of a table and have it record the room for meetings and things.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I use Google News and Brave Browser. I'd like Google News to open all stories I open in Brave; Brave is my default browser. I can get it to open in Brave by selecting "view original website" after opening a story, but I can't find a way to get it to do it by default. Anyone know if there's a way to get it to do that?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is it using WebView within the news app? Trying to understand what you mean. Android has a minimal chrome browser that can open links within apps without opening a whole browser app.

You can see in developer options here:

Yeah, that's the functionality I'm talking about, I didn't know what it was called, thank you. Is there a way to get Google News to use the default browser instead of WebView? Disabling WebView just makes it crash whenever I click on a story.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

I did a brief check of the News app and it doesn't look like that's an option. Sorry!
That's what I figured, just hoping someone had a hack. Thanks.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

incogneato posted:

Not quite the same, but you could create a favorite shortcut to news.google.com in your browser of choice. Drop the shortcut on your home screen and use it instead of the app. Stories should open in the browser.
This occurred to me last night, and I did it. Works well enough.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is there a good app that will immediately upload a video you are taking to the cloud? Ideally, one that could punch through airplane mode to do it (I realize that may be asking too much)?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you're asking about uploading WHILE recording (since the time between recording and an upload completing is long enough for bad actors to destroy your phone, which I assume is what this is about), I have to imagine the bottleneck of upload speed would cause the recording to stop, and I don't think things like Dropbox will upload actively-changing files. I think Facebook Live records and stores streams though, if that's an option?

Seems like it might be the best way to do it. And you have correctly surmised my desire, but I do not under any circumstances want anything owned by Facebook on my phone.

quote:

It's not possible to "punch through" airplane mode. That's not how it works. It turns off the radios.
Yeah, I didn't know if maybe there was an Android permission you can enable for allowing this or not (in spite of being an IT person, my knowledge of Android permissions is woefully lacking).

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

If you have the concerns we're all assuming you have make sure to turn off fingerprint or face unlock.
Yeah, I have a legal-adjacent background, so I know that much. Switching messaging apps to Signal, been using Brave browsing on my phone and PC since Chrome stopped letting me use Adblocking... Any other app-related steps I should be taking?

EDIT: Also trying to figure out a good balance between wanting to be secure/difficult to trace, and wanting the ability to take high-quality videos where you can easily make out what is happening and ideally who is involved. Vacillating on the use of burners and/or airplane mode. I have a Pixel 3XL, so the camera quality is very high; airplane mode locks out the locations and the tracing/capture devices used by the police, but doesn't allow for immediate upload of videos/photos. Burners obviously make it next to impossible to trace.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 3, 2020

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just need to rant about Google Pay for a moment:

I used to do all of my money sending between friends/family through Google Pay. It was great, it was easy, I could just send them money straight from my checking account without a problem, they could send me money without issue, I could manage it through my desktop or my phone, and it was very intuitive.

The new Google Pay is a loving dumpster fire. There's no desktop interface (well, there is one, but you can't do poo poo from it), if I want to send money from my checking account, I have to take money out and add it to Google Pay balance, which takes up to five days and has a $1,500 limit, and then send it to the person after that goes through which could take another couple of days, unless I want to use my debit card, but I don't have a loving debit card, and I don't understand why they can do that for a loving debit card but not for a loving checking account that's attached to my Google Pay account; the money is coming from exactly the same loving place. Nobody who I had in Google Pay previously carried over in my contacts, the first time my roommate tried to send me rent through it (which he has done multiple times before) they loving sent it back because I didn't confirm I wanted to have that money.

I want to say that Pay is worse than their incessant messaging changes, but maybe that's going a bit too far. Honestly, between Google Pay, Google Play Music, and Google Messages I'm seriously considering switching to an iPhone, in spite of being a pretty enthusiastic Android user since the Galaxy S2. Thank you for coming to my TED talk/yes I know this is a Wendy's.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

Let us know how the grass is over there.
My guy feeling is I'll love iMessage and Apple Pay, and hate having to use iTunes on Windows and Safari on my phone and my inability to text from my desktop and a bunch of other stuff.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Apple Pay and Google Pay are 1:1 transferrable in my experience so I don't know why one would be better than the other. Contactless payments are contactless payments. Google's app is a bit lovely, but you only have to deal with it when you are setting up the card.

When it comes to just paying for stuff at a POS,n yeah, they're pretty much the same. It's the other functionality (being able to send and receive money) that I expect to see some differentiation.

Then again, I may have resolved my issues with Google Pay by switching to Zelle.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Everyone I know seems to be using Venmo for that functionality.

Again though, very very few iPhones in my social group. There's my sister, brother in law, and one friend (and she's only using one now due to glucose monitor integration, she would be on a pixel otherwise).

I loving despise Peter Thiel, and I hate the social bullshit they try to shove down your throat. I use Venmo as a last resort.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Incessant Excess posted:

Are there any Services where you can pay someone by activating NFC and touching phones?

That seems like a security/compliance nightmare. I'd be shocked if anyone had implemented it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The PIN pads used for those transactions at most substantially-sized vendors are P2PE. I guess it's not too different from a Square card reader, though.

I've been dealing with this as a public institution for the last few months, which is a substantially different situation, I suppose.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have an Asus touchscreen Chromebook that I would like to use like a whiteboard with an app that I can cast to a Chromecast. What's my best bet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have two phones with two separate Gmail addresses, one for work and one personal, and I have two separate sets of Keep notes. It's loving great.