Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there anything around that'll allow me to permanently expose a folder on my phone as a (login-protected) network share over local wifi? Not rooted, and preferably not something that'll chew my battery, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LastInLine posted:

While I've never used it, what about the official Android Samba App?

What the hell? Marketing @ Google? With two unrelated random apps?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I suspect you're only allowed cast if you distribute the app through play store.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

uPen posted:

Everyone's names, addresses, phone numbers, SSN and driver's license numbers were just stolen so I'm not sure the CIA really has to try.

And by 'just' you mean 'a month and a half ago but they only just told us'.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if it would be possible to set up a raspberry pi emulator and install RTAndroid on it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 14, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

fishmech posted:

That'd just stick you with an even more limited version of Android than BlueStacks et al.

Eh, but it's maintained. Gives you a basic AOSP7.1 and installing gapps is easy enough.

Kang has a lineage port for pi too, although it's less vetted.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is there a reason that the emulator built into Android Studio couldn't be used the way you guys want? I realize that it's probably a hassle installing AS just for an emulator but it would be up-to-date and unbloated.

Ridiculously slow.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 15, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LastInLine posted:

The Google Weather Frog

I love that little bastard so much.

Why can't the google weather frog be a live wallpaper. Remember those things?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

revolther posted:

I like that it's basically the same as that uk cell phone frog but quiet so drawing less ire.

Less frog dick

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there a site with app recommendations for various use that isn't a horrible corrupt paid-pusher?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

anakha posted:

I'm looking for a stopwatch or timer app that will buzz or send some sort of sound every 15 or 30 minutes to notify me of time elapsed but the sound will stop on its own without me having to access the phone. This is for helping me track my pace during my runs.

Any suggestions?

Don't know if it's applicable, but for other things I use an app called Tell Me The Time that lets you set an interval and it'll ding and state the current time out loud every <interval>. It might not be useful to you, though, because it uses base times to count from - if you do every 5 minutes and start at 9:23 it'll announce at 9:25, 9:30, etc.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 2, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The fact that you can't make Google Assistant use a British Male voice without setting your entire phone and account to british language settings is just another example of how out of touch google is. :colbert:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If I want to easily keep a 60 gig or so music library on computer and phone, is Google Play Music the only real option I have to do so easily and automatically without paying for expanded space on something like Dropbox?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be clear, I'm talking about the sync part, sorry. The storage on-phone is plenty big.

I'll look at Resilio Sync.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah. I have a master music collection on my computer in MusicBee, I just want to be able to sync it to my phone, plugging in my phone is slow and unreliable and really annoying, and it seems like this should be an easy task. And it would be nice if it was two-way enough for me to update ratings in their ID3.

GPM has a really annoying browser and I'd just prefer to use shuttle.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

can I get a recommendation for a full keyboard thing I can use when remoting into my laptop

Would Hacker's Keyboard do you?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Are there any Tumblr apps that don't suuuuuuuck like the official one does?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there a nice simple local on-device music player that's compatible with both Android Auto and Google Assistant.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

hot date tonight! posted:

They're going to get a ton of blowback for this, their website clearly stated that they would always be a one time purchase with no subscription fees.

Yes but you see they're not adding fees they're just adding a new plus tier above which just happens to have features the old purchase version had like adding your own files.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LastInLine posted:

The old version did not offer cloud storage for arbitrary files.

No but they recently took out custom folders and this is now the only way to achieve that function.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Anyone know if there are any decent cloud storage providers whose apps will sync arbitrary folders on Android without needing a crappy third-party tool.

No being able to play my music through your embedded app music player is not a valid substitute, pCloud, give me actual offline files in the file system.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What's a good basic IMAP email app that doesn't do something dodgy with security. outlook is breaking because of the inability to customise starttls and authentication fully. Gmail app is apparently not preferred.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I was looking into android car stuff lately and why the hell is it all so expensive for decentish ones, aren't these boxes basically just remote screens for your phone?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jeez, trying to find a simple app for something that the phone should do built in but doesn't on android is a nightmare of wading through 'recommendation' pages for adware-filled-data-harvesting microtransaction-blocked-basic-features crap.

Anyone got a recommendation for a simple recorder/uploader? Google's one is pixel-only and this person doesn't have that.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 18, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just audio recording.

Google keep can take short notes but assistant decides 'oh you're done talking' and wraps up and then transcribes it, we just want to record ten minutes of audio to a file.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Turns out it's super battery draining to check in as often as possible to maximise data harvesting.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

I just realized last night that the reason I still haven't gotten the November update on my Pixel 3 is that it's now EOL for updates. :dumb:

Hold up, so they just dropped Android 12 onto me and froze me out right away so I'm not getting any of the basic follow-up bugfixes?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

I think that's the long and the short of it. :sigh:

Goddamnit, I've been noticing a ton of bugs with this update and have been waiting for the fix, too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Interesting difference, down here we're getting the Christmas public holiday on the 27th and the Boxing Day public holiday the 28th.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What's the best way for me to remote assist my sister's phone in a different city?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Launcherwise, is MS launcher still the only one with a decent alphabet-separated app drawer? That's the reason I've always used it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 22, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If Android apps do well on it you'll probably find better under that category. If it doesn't have internal app casting then just casting the whole screen should do you fine, right? Microsoft Whiteboard's Android app, maybe? (E: oh there's a webapp for it too, that should do you fine)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 1, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well Swype's owned by Microsoft as of a few months ago thanks to them buying Nuance, maybe they'll create Microsoft Keyboard sometime. Their Android launcher's pro-tier great, after all.

Wait, MS already had SwiftKey, didn't they. Well, maybe they'll merge them. What happened to SwiftKey?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, I know, I was just saying, Microsoft bought the company that owned Swype earlier this year so maybe they'll dig it out of the old repos. Probably not though, way too hard to merge technologies like that

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Does anyone know of a reminder notification app that puts tasks into your notifications on a schedule like the usual, but you can't accidentally swipe away the notification, you have to hit the done button, and if your phone reboots, uncompleted reminders restore.

I've genuinely missed taking pills a few times by the notifications vanishing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, for an older person with their first smartphone I might think about iOS; it forces you to do things its own way more than Android, but on the other hand it can be less confusing for a beginner for the same reason.

Although that opinion was formed a while ago, I don't know if it's kept that lately.

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's probably no help but I was reminded of the Baldphone launcher that turns your phone into something like this:

and was sad to see it hadn't seen updates recently. You can still get it on f-droid but eh.

There's a company called Emporia that makes phones for elderly with android skinned like this. No idea if it's any good though.

Funso Banjo posted:

I'm looking for an email client that is super simple, because when I let her play with spark it blew her mind and she got very stuck.

My go-to for email is just outlook and then turn off all the swipe actions and focused inbox and smart things. That might not be simple enough though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 6, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Funso Banjo posted:

I'm going to try the BBC weather app, that should never ask for money. The Gmail app doesn't seem too complicated, right? Can you use icloud addresses in the Gmail app?

Yeah, there's pages about hooking your icloud up to android like this no idea if it's a decent guide or not but yeah it looks like you can hook icloud up to gmail, you've gotta create a third-party-app password for it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's just bad enough when you're an australian that most people don't bother.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

smoobles posted:

Wait you can have multiple profiles on an Android?

System -> allow multiple users

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Google takes over half the screen? Not the Twitter app?

You can deregister apps as link handlers, by going to the app's info in settings and changing 'open by default'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I use Microsoft Launcher. I have way too many apps and the alphabet scrollbar app list mode is too handy and for some reason nothing else has it done well. And even that aside it's surprisingly good considering.