Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Welcome to another exciting SA Beer it Forward!!

This is for posters in the Let's Talk Beer thread. If you don't post there but are interested in taking part in the next BIF head over HERE and start chatting us up about beer!

How It Works
You send great beer to a fellow beer thread goon and then you get some back from someone else!

What's Involved
Read everything below and ensure it all makes sense to you. If you have any questions PLEASE ASK! At the end I’ll link a signup form which you must fill out and then post in the thread to be entered in the BIF. This round there are going to be 2 options for your BIF experience. Details are below. If there is not enough interest in either option I’ll revise the BIF accordingly.

Rules
1. You must have at least 30 posts in the Beer Thread as of 12/1 to participate
2. You must have an account at least 6 months old and a reasonable post history.
3. You must be knowledgeable enough about beer to put together a quality box.
4. All boxes must contain at least $50 worth of beer. Send a box that you’d be excited to receive. Do not send beer they can get in their area. Do your research, if you don’t know then ask!
5. All beers sent must be very delicious. Nobody wants to send out their best and get a box of lovely local brown ales.
6. One special bottle wrapped with gift wrap must be included.

For the record, do not send a full sixer of a beer to your BIFee. The point of this is to try a variety of the best a region has to offer. This is to ensure people feel comfortable shipping and to make it easier for folks to pick out things you really will enjoy! If you use Untappd or Beer Advocate or any other beer related site feel free to link it on the form, though Untappd spoils the surprise I suppose.

$$$anta
If you’re an experienced trader with a cellar and want to go big on this round then sign up as a $$$anta! They have higher requirements than the standard and will be on a separate chain from the regular entries. You must have 60 posts minimum and have traded with someone on the forums before to sign up for this. $$$antas must send $75 worth of beer and at least 1 item of swag (Tshirt, glass, tacker etc.). 4 of the bottles sent must be brewery only or very limited distro. One special gift wrapped bottle must be included. This should be the highlight of your box so pick something good!

How to Start BIFing
Step 1: Fill out this form!
Step 2: Post in this thread!! If you do not post here you are not in the BIF
Step 4: Wait for me to assign you a shippee
Step 5: Ship Beer!
Step 6: Post a picture of your haul (This is required!)

Deadlines
Sign-Up Deadline: 12/7 at 5 PM
Receive Assignments by: 12/8
Ship By: 12/16

Notes & Helpful Things

Do not ship via USPS - it's illegal and can get you thrown in federal pound me in the rear end prison.

Pack Well! If a bottle breaks in transit you must replace it.

Use Seekabrew.com to ensure the beer you're send is not found in your shippee's state! Don't send them something they could just pull off the shelf at the local liquor store. (Exception for "rare" beers that are hard to get) If you ever have any doubts about what is available in your BIFees area, PLEASE let us know in the thread! There are tons of helpful folks from all over the USA who will be happy to message you and give you some guidance as far as what they do and do not get in their area.

Summary

Regular -
Send a box with $50 worth of delicious beer that your BIFee couldn’t typically purchase. Include one gift wrapped bottle that is especially good and preferably of limited availability.

$$$anta -
Send a box with $75 worth of delicious beer and 1 extra piece of swag. 4 bottles must be brewery only or limited releases. One special gift wrapped bottle must be included as well.

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Reserved for shipping help, etc.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Maybe include a section to list people you've already traded with so as not to end up sending each other the same stuff again, unless that would complicate things too much. Otherwise, looks simple and easy!

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Ooh good call. I'll add that to the form.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

90 on BA is pretty high criteria. That would mean stuff like Tired Hands Astral Plane couldn't be included and as myself and noted forums poster Furious Lobster can tell you, that beer is pretty darn good.

Why do you value the terrible palates of BA posters so highly? Is this some sort of elaborate troll? The people want answers.

PS - my lovely local brown ale is a good beer :colbert:

edit - SaisonHands only has an 88 on BA. ffs. also 88 lol.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

While I am not signing up for the BIF itself, I am happy to answer PM questions about Chicago distro or otherwise for those of you that get paired with a Chicagoan.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

The form has been updated!

HatfulOfHollow posted:

90 on BA is pretty high criteria. That would mean stuff like Tired Hands Astral Plane couldn't be included and as myself and noted forums poster Furious Lobster can tell you, that beer is pretty darn good.

Why do you value the terrible palates of BA posters so highly? Is this some sort of elaborate troll? The people want answers.

PS - my lovely local brown ale is a good beer :colbert:

edit - SaisonHands only has an 88 on BA. ffs. also 88 lol.

Do you think the BA rating requirement should be removed entirely or lowered?

A BA rating requirement is just the easiest way to help prevent crappy beer from being sent out as far as I see it.

mrcowcow
Aug 3, 2006

Too shy to call your name, too high to to play this game.
Grimey Drawer

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Agreed. I looked up a few awesome locals that are always well received when I send them out and about half are rated below 90. Or have no BA rating.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I would like to participate this time but I never look at beer ratings. But don't worry my palate is getting ciecirone certification...

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Alright I removed the BA rating requirement! As long as it is very delicious beer you can send it regardless of what the Alstrom Brothers & Co. have to say about it.

As a side note, please write a real letter to Santa. If Santa doesn't have a clue what kinda poo poo you like you're gonna end up with a box of brown ales like HatfulOfHollow!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
gently caress it. I'm in.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Lt_Tofu posted:

I would like to participate this time but I never look at beer ratings. But don't worry my palate is getting ciecirone certification...

I have a pretty loving good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
gently caress it signed up. What's the consequence if I fail to ship by the 16th?

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I have a pretty loving good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community

If we can't trust the fine tastes of this forum then all is lost.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Krustster did it better.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

In as a ¢anta

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

sterster posted:

gently caress it signed up. What's the consequence if I fail to ship by the 16th?

You ruin someones Christmas and become the Grinch.

then I kill you

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

In as a $$$anta Baby

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Anyway I'll sign up. There's a lot of pumpkin ales on clearance here so it should be easy. ;)

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Midorka posted:

The general attitude in this thread is nothing but condescending remarks about who can dick wag with the most impressive beer and is far from friendly. Feel proud dudes that you've helped make this one of the most unapproachable threads I've seen on this site.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

krustster posted:

Anyway I'll sign up. There's a lot of pumpkin ales on clearance here so it should be easy. ;)

As long as they're rated 90+ on BA..

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Signed up as a $$$anta man. Anyone have suggestions for bottle shippers you can order online? I used to get those Spirited Shippers when I lived on the east coast but now that I'm in CA, shipping is crazy for those boxes.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Jerome Louis posted:

Signed up as a $$$anta man. Anyone have suggestions for bottle shippers you can order online? I used to get those Spirited Shippers when I lived on the east coast but now that I'm in CA, shipping is crazy for those boxes.
Spend $50 and they ship the boxes to you for free.
http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Boxes/Kitchen-moving-boxes/Wine-Shipping-Kits?mid=169

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I'm in. Do first timers need a V on their foreheads?

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

In! As always, if anyone has questions about Southern California distribution I'm available.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
I'm in. Thanks for setting this up again LeafHouse. You were my first BIF'er and sent me my first ever bottle of BCBS. Cheers!

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
I'm signed up. Come on other Canadians! Sign up! Do it!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Another Chicago person is in!

Just for the normal one. Wana try some of dem locals!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
too many trade obligations and not enough money for me to participate, sadly, but i am available for questions about VA/mid-Atlantic distro as well as packing and shipping advice!

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

nosleep posted:

I'm in. Thanks for setting this up again LeafHouse. You were my first BIF'er and sent me my first ever bottle of BCBS. Cheers!

Happy to do it! Haha, awesome glad you enjoyed it enough to take part again! Hopefully you get lucky and get another all-star BIFer this time ;)

ReaperUnreal posted:

I'm signed up. Come on other Canadians! Sign up! Do it!

Unfortunately we'll need a US shipping address for any Canadian folks looking to get in on this. We've had some issues in the past with shipping outside the USA.

Apache
May 11, 2004

In as a $$$anta. I figure I've got enough CCB and Coppertail brewery only releases to meet the requirements.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

LeafHouse posted:

Unfortunately we'll need a US shipping address for any Canadian folks looking to get in on this. We've had some issues in the past with shipping outside the USA.

Is shipping Canada->Canada not an option? Given any other Canadians of course. That said, I did submit a US address as well.

Wet Tie Affair
May 8, 2008

P-I-Z-Z-A

The other 4 were fun, so I'm in for this one as well. Thanks for putting another one of these together, LeafHouse!

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

ReaperUnreal posted:

Is shipping Canada->Canada not an option? Given any other Canadians of course. That said, I did submit a US address as well.

Oh, yeah I can do that.

Wet Tie Affair posted:

The other 4 were fun, so I'm in for this one as well. Thanks for putting another one of these together, LeafHouse!

You're welcome!

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
I'm in! NJ here.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

I'm in on regular poo poo tier because I don't think I haul in enough whales or trade enough to be part of the baller santa thing. My apologies to whoever I get that I already sent Kern to another guy. CA reprezent

Jerome Louis posted:

I used the ones from Amazon and looked like a retard for the box for a long time before realizing I can use the box amazon ships me the loving foam in:
http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Tech-Ch...ttle+shipper+12
http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Tech-Ch...ttle+shipper+12

MunchE fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 5, 2015

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

quote:

This item’s packaging will indicate what is inside and cannot be hidden.

:pwn:

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Weirdly that's usually a disclaimer for big items that basically says they may not put a box over it. IE if you get a TV they will ship it in the TV box without a wrapper and spoiler xmas.

But for styrofoam it definitely will ship in an overbox

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Doing some shopping the BIF today and getting excited. Can I be my own ¢anta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrcowcow
Aug 3, 2006

Too shy to call your name, too high to to play this game.
Grimey Drawer
In as a $$$anta.

• Locked thread