Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

As much as I love the Warhammer. What they've designed is kinda ugly, and will probably end up like the Cent where the in-game model is squat and (more) ugly because it's 1.5x wider than the concept art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

gently caress, fine. I'll admit I'm having fun with a lovely game I haven't played since back when we were doing boring Awesome death marches to cap.

Invite me so my waddling up and deleting someone has people to follow up. Spreadsheet

And also to save me from this guy who apparently saw me down in Tier 5, and is now sending me unit invites.

E: And won't stop sending me invites, I wonder how many times I can decline before he actually says something.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 26, 2015

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

ScorpioMajesty posted:

How long is the event?

Until January 4th so not insurmountable, but definitely a grind.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

I mostly look at the AC20 XL build, realize we've been building the Cent that way since it came out, and decide I'd rather spend that 6.5mil on a trash can.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Wow, the trial Thunderbolt does work running 3LPLs like that.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

DancingShade posted:

*Most people are gently caress awful at aiming so this isn't a big deal.

Pubs who apparently have a seizure whenever they click their mouse. Cockeyed aiming at the ground beside their target. Aimbots that miss every shot because they're using autocannons. It is truly a wondrous game.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Beet Wagon posted:

Nah, the Shadowcat is great if you like mechs that are inferior in almost every way.

Just run a Hunchback IIC with 4 C-LRM20s, be as bad as you can be.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

sebmojo posted:

Does anyone need an invite? Friend sebmojo if so and i'll flick you one.

Save me Sebmojo you're my only hope.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Anita Dickinme posted:

19 also said something about a 64bit mumble client at some point that would allow the overlay to work with MWO but I didn't bother looking it up.

Current 1.3.0 development snapshot is x64 and DX11 compatible (For the lazy. Scroll down, blue column.) You just have to put up with it wanting to update nearly every time you start it. It also hooks in with Win10 if you've got that and sends toast notifications for chat messages. Great/Annoying depending on your temperament.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Bait and Swatch posted:

Why isn't there fishing in this game? I want to fish, most good games have fishing yet this doesn't. Later losers, enjoy your poo poo no-fishing game.

I'd be all for fishing for cbills while waiting for peek'n'poke time to finish.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

ZenVulgarity posted:

The AC2 blackjack is really fun

It's essentially a long range machine gun robot

One day we might get magshots, then this can really be true.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

PPC efficacy aside. No. Stop. No. Quit with the sacrificial arms. Dumping your armor on a component for one more heat sink or one more ton of ammo is not worth the cost of the extra damage you could potentially be soaking with it. Even on something like the Stalker where they don't block a lot.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Bait and Swatch posted:

Story time!
Found a fun thing to do in terra therma skirmish yesterday. We told the pubbies to stay out of the big circle and defend on a hill outside of it, and were of course we were told we were stupid and bad for making such an insane suggestion. Since we hate fighting in the butthole, my wife, friend and I went on a scenic tour around the edge of the map and found a spot to hang out until our whole team died, except for a Jenner who fled and joined us. As the pubbies had managed to get no kills despite their elite sniper skills, queue a whole lot of anger from our team at goons for being the source of all their problems.

We shot into the air to attract then enemy team and waited, telling the pubbies we had a sweet ambush set up, evoking some frothy rage. Then the enemy came in a few at a time, and we killed five of them while taking hardly any damage. There were two other enemies in sight, but they ran off and let the match timer expire so we couldn't pull out a win. We thought our team would be happy about out near comeback and goons having top kills and damage in only one minute of fighting, but we were mistaken unfortunately. Queue comments instead about being glad we didn't win and "gently caress goons!" :allears:

I actually enjoyed terra therma for once.

I suppose one good thing about being in scrub tier is that none of the pubbies "know" to go into the middle on Terra Therma so every round I've had only a few people go there to check the other team didn't, as we roll around the outside.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Super hot brawling Stalker (6 ml, 4 srm6 or asrm4) that charges someone down, and deletes them in two alphas.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Rocketpriest posted:

The RS commits the mortal sin of having enough laser hardpoints in the arms to make you want to use them for things other than shielding your body. Way back when people used to put 4 large lasers on it and chain fire them, which could work I guess, but Stalkers are better for that with their tiny, high arms. The AS7-D is probably the good bet. It can run a pair of UAC5's and three large pulse lasers, or two large pulses and two LB10X's because why not (this one has the benefit of giving you a completely dead left side), Or just run it almost stock with 4 medium lasers, an AC20 and 2 ASRM6's. It's not glamorous, but it's serviceable enough to elite out for mastery on Ghost Dad.

Someone is forgetting the halcyon days when even the RS could fit a STD400. An Atlas briskly jogging at you was pretty terrifying. Sure it only had 4 MPLs, but it was still an Atlas.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Number19 posted:

If you buy an AS7-RS, you can make the Disco Dad

It's not exactly a good build but it can be really fun.

On this note the Mauler is going to be interesting since it looks like an elited 2P can safely alpha with 6 LPLs on non-hot maps.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Cant decide if i should keep the champion Cicada or the ECM one...

Keep a 3C. :unsmigghh:

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

DiHK posted:

That one is good, Heres my preference

Other Orions aren't as hard to fit for though.

ON1-K
PROTECTOR

Its still tight though. More of a striker than a brawler.

E: They do twist well, so if you roll your poo poo it's not so bad. Side profile is nice too and the arms take some pressure off of the sides.

I like DiHK's here, but if you absolutely must use that ballistic slot try this instead. ON1-VA UAC5

E: Ah, gently caress nevermind. I was looking at the ON1-V's quirks, don't do this.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 23, 2016

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Polar Highlands makes me really want some sort of visual spotting mechanic so I can place stationary "HEY DUMBASS THERE WAS A PERSON RIGHT HERE!" blips for mechs out of sensor range.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

novaSphere posted:

It's a sure sign of strange times when Redditors consider the 'phract, Highlander, and Victor on the same level of 'is about to die; needs food badly' as dogshit like Vindicators and Awesomes.

How times change :(

I'd like the Victor more if it wasn't the Victor. It's a short underweight dad by design.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

PoptartsNinja posted:

To be fair, playing this piece of poo poo would probably be preferable to playing an Awesome. At least with you can lie to your team and say "Oh poo poo guys, the mechlab didn't save my build!"

There're 42 1/2 tons of machinegun ammo in that.

Ready to fire for a whole hour and 10 minutes. If we went with the full 4 MGs we could -almost- use all the ammo in one match, 16 minutes 15 seconds.

Ah, here we go. 15 minutes of non-stop firing, and nobody will suspect a thing.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Oh Snapple! posted:

But for real lmao at the idea of being so good at the game you get lumped into a cheater banwave

Hello Mr. and/or Mrs. Statistical Anomaly,

We are banning you for the betterment of human society. Please go outside and use your superhuman reflexes and precision to fight crime or become a surgeon.

Sincerely,

:pgi:

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Bolow posted:

Blizzard does the same poo poo, they basically gather information for 6 months or so then ban a couple hundred thousand people at a time

It's probably not so much to catch more people as it is to reduce their false positive rate to an acceptable level.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

kingcom posted:

hosed up.

Also im super hyped to see DAD IIC

gently caress that! Where's my Urbanmech IIC? The only mech so perfect even the Clans couldn't think of a way to improve it.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Now that's a nice sale. Urbanmechs, Crabs, and Banshees, ohmy.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

novaSphere posted:

Oh poo poo. Should I get Enforcers, or Crabs? I have an incurable fetish for mediums :negative:

There is only one answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afo3kMRV2ms

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

starkebn posted:

Wtf, these numbers don't make any sense at all. I'm sure they're accurate but :pgi:

Eh, they make enough since that I can reasonably predict that 10 is likely going to be 550 max, 450 min.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

drat, super tempted to start logging this one guy I've got on Steam who sends me at least 20 messages a day with no prompting yelling about nascar, lights, getting insta-cored while his shots do nothing, their team running away, and on and on.

I really wanna ask, "Are you only tier 2 via attrition?", so fear not bad goons you too can mindlessly grind your way to epeen and endless sorrow.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Pattonesque posted:

for real a melee pack with the Axman, Hatchetman, Berserker and ... Scarabus (for a light?) would keep PGI in the black for years

Ditch the light just put a Morpheus in. That's like a light.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Wafflecopper posted:

Only trouble with that is that narc takes up a hardpoint that could instead be more lurms

If only we still had NARC tube LRM20s :rip:

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Something I've been meaning to ask you guys is what the optimal ammo counts for stuff is since I'm only familiar with SRMs, and the AC20 at about 25 shots per mount. Specifically how many shots should I be aiming for with the smaller ACs and I guess LRMs?

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Internet Explorer posted:

:pgi:

How many years? How many?

They've only added and removed heat generation on the target like three times now. I give it a week before it's decided that once again Flamers generate too much Fun for the user while sucking it all out of the recipient.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 12, 2016

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Pattonesque posted:

pretty sure the nova can manage 14

Alright. Flamer math time for everyone.

To overheat an Elited mech within 4.75s that's boating nothing but heat sinks you would need...

Singles (53 HS, 136.32 Heat Cap, -9.72 h/s)
9 Flamers

IS Doubles (20 HS, 96 Heat Cap, -6.09 h/s)
6 Flamers

Clan Doubles (31 HS, 100.92 Heat Cap, -7.57 h/s)
7 Flamers

Note: Those are theoretical maximum heat sinks you can cram into something, there are no mechs that can actually fit that many. All numbers based on what Smurfy is telling me the Internal/External values are.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe-GL_SPt90

Patch preview, but the important part is the flamer visual update and the note that overheat from flamers is limited to a maximum of 90%, so really good but not comedy lockdown.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

ZenVulgarity posted:

That's poo poo I figured out when I was 14 and I was on 56k internet. How the gently caress does anyone not know that.

New people growing up with more familiarity with technology, but ultimately not any more knowledge, or even less knowledge since they don't have to figure it out the hard way. AKA: A sucker is born every minute.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

I am enjoying the Trial Enforcer 4R immensely. Send help. Also more mechbays, and change CW so I can run all mediums and give my spare tonnage to someone else.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

TheParadigm posted:

Today I learned that crabs can very nearly shoot directly behind them with it which is all kinds of hilarious for baiting lights and running away from things.

This seems like it's just something mediums do for some reason. The loyalty wolverine, hunchbacks and griffins all have 190+ degrees of arm reach behind them. Sadly all they have are small amounts of lasers and ballistics. I wanna chump a chasing light with 3 SRM6s to the face. :(

E: Oh wait, the Stormcrow has 185 degrees of reach around with Clan Streaks. So still the best Medium.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 16, 2016

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Commoners posted:

:supaburn: WHO IS READY FOR THE FLAMER APOCALYPSE!? :supaburn:

TOO READY!

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

JacksAngryBiome posted:

Does he think that you can't use macro programs in a real match?

Or am I reading his tweet wrong?

He's trying to blow it off, saying that you could also do it manually and it is thus not an unfair advantage.

Ultimately this comes down to "Show. Don't Tell." He's not going to give until the tears flow. So I'll be grabbing AHK to make a script since I don't think FireControl quite has the controls to do this properly, and you should too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

A.o.D. posted:

The nova has enough slots that it can flamer fist and fist gently caress, all in the same mech, since it looks like you don't need all that many flamers to keep someone boiling.

Yup, the most you'll ever realistically need to make a mech hit 90% in the 4.75s grace period is 6, and 4 will suffice for the vast majority of mechs that aren't assaults carrying 10-13 external doubles.

• Locked thread